Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Plouf's closing. Which is a real bummer to me, I've been going with my father now for close to 20 years. Interesting quote from Eric Klein though ""It doesn't really make any money anymore," said Klein. "We are still busy, but the costs are getting so out of hand.""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Quotes like that seem suspect to me. Why can’t they raise their prices accordingly, especially if they’re still busy? Are they already priced at the tipping point? They also blame a change in dining culture but there is no elaboration as to what that means. That could be the reporters fault, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toe Rag posted:

Quotes like that seem suspect to me. Why can’t they raise their prices accordingly, especially if they’re still busy? Are they already priced at the tipping point? They also blame a change in dining culture but there is no elaboration as to what that means. That could be the reporters fault, though.
The prices you pay to keep employees on board, pay the rent, repair equipment that breaks, &c, have risen far faster than the prices people are willing to pay for food.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

I missed this. This is an AMAZING resource holy poo poo thank you for sharing!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Shandong Deluxe aka happy family gourmet just blew our minds. We got the cold xian noodles, so long, perfect chew, hint of peanut and vinegar.

Stir fried cabbage was cooked perfect Savoy cabbage with a little wok hei, seasoned perfectly, hint of sweetness.

The cold sliced pork belly with garlic and was great, chili oil on itreally good.

Pork with chive dumplings were good, but the vinegar on the table with it was delicious.

Beef wrap with hoi sin was decent, beef didnt really shine through

Still thinking about that cabbage.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Toe Rag posted:

Usually when restauranteurs complain about costs, I assume they’re shitheads who don’t want to pay their staff. That said, when their lease was last up for renewal, their rent may have skyrocketed.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The prices you pay to keep employees on board, pay the rent, repair equipment that breaks, &c, have risen far faster than the prices people are willing to pay for food.

Right I get that, re: the tipping point. There are a couple restaurants I don’t go to anymore because they raised their prices to the point where it was just as expensive as somewhere else which is better. If they were closing because their rent had been raised, then I would feel sorry for them, but it just sounds like they are complaining about labor costs, which doesn’t win much sympathy for me, especially since restaurant labor is hugely subsidized by the customer.

I don’t run a restaurant though so maybe I just cannot appreciate how hard it is and sometimes it’s just easier to move onto something else.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

Plouf's closing. Which is a real bummer to me, I've been going with my father now for close to 20 years. Interesting quote from Eric Klein though ""It doesn't really make any money anymore," said Klein. "We are still busy, but the costs are getting so out of hand.""

Man what a way to send off a restaurant. I made a reservation 3 weeks ago for 12, called to confirm Friday, went to the place and was told there was zero indication of my reservation. Eventually got seated, but man had I known the place was closing and we'd have gotten luke-warm mussels and a huge order mixup I wouldn't have bothered. I went to Caps when they were closing and that felt like a respectful end, this was just a poo poo show. TBF it seemed like people had quit etc. but I wouldn't recommend finishing out any memories there.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Toe Rag posted:

Bay Area people don’t appreciate quality or consistency, or being challenged in general (I'm exaggerating for rhetorical effect but you get the idea). They wouldn’t pay up for it even if they had the money. The rapid influx of wealthy but tasteless people is ever reducing the appetite for interesting poo poo, and is turning the market into a combination of Palo Alto and Vegas. There are still pockets of quality left, but they are mostly at the very high or very low end. Escalating costs (e.g. there was an owner I knew who couldn't keep staff at $65K with benefits) are merely the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae

Most of the people I know who care about food are increasingly cooking it themselves and hosting dinner parties. Which is a pity because easy access to good food prepared with love is such a democratizing thing that we're losing slowly

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 30, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

got off on a technicality posted:

Most of the people I know who care about food are increasingly cooking it themselves and hosting dinner parties. Which is a pity because access to good food prepared with love is such a democratizing thing that we're losing slowly
.... but home cooking is good food prepared with love? In any case, I've had some transcendent meals here in the last year; the two most recent were at Jeanne d'Arc and at Mourad.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Arsenic Lupin posted:

.... but home cooking is good food prepared with love? In any case, I've had some transcendent meals here in the last year; the two most recent were at Jeanne d'Arc and at Mourad.

Right my point is good food prepared with love is harder and harder to come by unless you do it yourself, which is a pity because it would be nice to just have to walk into a restaurant to get it

Mourad is pretty drat good, and remains one of the islands of consistency that I appreciate. Never went to Jeanne d'Arc but will have to try. In that vein there is also Chez Maman and Mathilde

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
High end menu doesn't equate to good pay for the workers, either. Kitchens like that want 'motivated' cooks willing to work for barely above minimum wage because of the 'prestige'. Only the FOH are making big bucks from tips on $40 entrees and wine.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hopefully ab626 helps solve these issues. Commercial tenants and communities by proxy get hosed so incredibly hard by everyone right now.

Lenders get to lend with rapacious terms (business loans aren't regulated), landlords routinely gently caress over small cooks (commercial rent control and protections are nonexistent), and city/state governments have insane permits and fees at every turn (because fines, sales tax, and petty permit fees are the only source of reasonably sized stable tax revenue left in our dumb country.)

The food truck movement basically started entirely as a way to skirt barriers and the tickets for an illegal truck were far lower than the permitted operating costs of a storefront.

Also, in San Francisco the original process for getting a food truck permitted were:

1) put three addresses down on a form
2) include $10,000
3) Wait, if you were rejected you lost your money.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2019

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Where can one go to get some fresh apple cider donuts?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Cat Puke posted:

https://dynamodonut.com/menu

has "Maple Bacon Apple" donuts

Edit: and also a seasonal "Caramel Apple" - "Crisp apples fried in a vanilla base then dipped in caramel and coated with toasted spicy peanuts" right now!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone got a good butcher rec around San Carlos/San Mateo? I can drive around a little further than that if I need to but I'd rather not make the drive all the way up to SF proper if I can help it. Looking for guanciale that's not too pricey and if other stuff is good too then that's a bonus.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cat Puke posted:

I went to Apple Hill (up 50 past Sac) and had a life changing apple fritter and apple donuts

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got a good butcher rec around San Carlos/San Mateo? I can drive around a little further than that if I need to but I'd rather not make the drive all the way up to SF proper if I can help it. Looking for guanciale that's not too pricey and if other stuff is good too then that's a bonus.

Bianchini's in San Carlos is magnificent and will cut to order if you call in advance. I once got a veal breast for stuffing for Christmas. They're one of the few grocery stores left that order bulk cows and do the cutting themselves. Their produce is also very good, and their deli has an imported-from-Italy rosemary ham that is to die for. It's Italian-owned, so I'll guarantee they either have guanciale or can get it. They have a lot of seasonal Italian specialties including multiple varieties of panettone.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 3, 2019

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Pape's is where I've gone when I want good quality meat. It's definitely not the cheapest, but I'm sure they'd be able to source what you need if they don't have it already.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
^ Papes is a legit butchery and seafood market but you gotta get your orders in ahead of the big holidays because they are popular. Some/one of the blokes behind the counter can be a bit short/condescending with women though I've noticed on multiple occasions. Their sausages are good.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Anyone know place that has kolaches, preferably the style from Texas?

Also I tried Alice's bbq in Mountain View the other day and their brisket sandwich was really good. I like them much better than QBB, which gets more attention due to location and the bourbon selection.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Douche4Sale posted:

Anyone know place that has kolaches, preferably the style from Texas?

Also I tried Alice's bbq in Mountain View the other day and their brisket sandwich was really good. I like them much better than QBB, which gets more attention due to location and the bourbon selection.

do you mean the pastry or the sausage in a bun? because the latter isn't actually a kolache

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klob%C3%A1sn%C3%ADk

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Carillon posted:

Pape's is where I've gone when I want good quality meat. It's definitely not the cheapest, but I'm sure they'd be able to source what you need if they don't have it already.

Pape's said they had fresh jowl bacon but didn't have and wouldn't do guanciale unless I was willing to bulk order 10+ pounds. I'll hit up Bianchini's tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the recs.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

luminalflux posted:

I went to Apple Hill (up 50 past Sac) and had a life changing apple fritter and apple donuts

Apple Hill tree farms are the best place to get a Christmas tree btw, it's a really fun day trip

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

do you mean the pastry or the sausage in a bun? because the latter isn't actually a kolache

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klob%C3%A1sn%C3%ADk

I'd be down for either type, but the fruit ones feel more distinct/rare. A lot of Chinese buns with meat can fulfill the savory craving.

Also, recommending Pape as a great meat place. The older guy with facial hair can be gruff and weird at times, but once you get to know him frequently he is actually super nice. He gives my three year old multiple cheese slices whenever we drop in and usually tosses in a free sausage or 1/2 lb of the ground meatloaf on top of whatever we get. Also the meatloaf is awesome, it's a blend of beef, pork, and lamb and delicious. A lot of the steaks and fish are kind of pricey, but they have difficult to find parts and the cuts are always fantastic.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Apple Hill tree farms are the best place to get a Christmas tree btw, it's a really fun day trip

I got ours last year from Delancey Street foundations stand by the market Safeway. A lil pricey but it’s for a good cause (helping homeless and ex cons)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Pape's said they had fresh jowl bacon but didn't have and wouldn't do guanciale unless I was willing to bulk order 10+ pounds. I'll hit up Bianchini's tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the recs.

Bianchini's was a bust too, deli guy didn't even know what I was talking about :/

Oh well, guess I'll make the trek up to SF proper.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Bianchini's was a bust too, deli guy didn't even know what I was talking about :/

Oh well, guess I'll make the trek up to SF proper.

Maybe a silly question but have you called around to whole foods or mollie stones? I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have it, but if you haven't might be worth a shot.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
SF ferry building definitely have guanciale, if you're coming up.

I usually call places on the phone and ask if they have stuff before making the trek.

Mollie Stones San Bruno definitely doesn't carry it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Molinari in North Beach definitely has it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Cross posting this from another thread:

Not sure if I should ask here or in the bourbon thread, but I have a friend who's birthday is coming up and wanted to try Pappy. Does anyone know which bars do a vertical of Pappy?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone know which bars do a vertical of Pappy?

Hard Water. I had one there two or three years ago.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/DylanRoss/status/1188640065808814080?s=19

Also, sweet sweet electrical power has returned to me.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Mmm delicious fire.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Jiaozi Yuanbao make their dumplings to order, you can watch them make them through glass window. Best dumplings of this style I've ever had. The dough texture was excellent.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone been to Bellota? I'm headed there Friday and trying to see if the paella is worth ordering.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

Has anyone been to Bellota? I'm headed there Friday and trying to see if the paella is worth ordering.

Let us know how it turns out; I’ve been meaning to try

Carillon
May 9, 2014

got off on a technicality posted:

Let us know how it turns out; I’ve been meaning to try

So a lot of it was really good. We ordered jamon iberico, a tortilla and a paella, split between lechon and setas. The jamon and pan con tomate were really good, highlights for sure. The tortilla was also good good flavor, really well set egg, not to tough or anything like that, I would say missing out on salt though. Similarly the paella also came across as a bit under seasoned, and the bottom didn't have a crunchy soccarat, but rather it was a thin layer of softer browning. I haven't really had a paella like that before, I'm used to the more crunchy kind, so don't know if that's a style thing or just a miss on the kitchen's part. The mushrooms were good, wildish, the main interesting one was maitaike. Overall a solid meal, but I did feel they could have used more salt in the cooked stuff.

Drinks wise, gin and tonics were great. You get a choice of a bunch of different gins, 5 different tonics, and then they come out with some nice little bundles herbs in each glass. I did two spanish gin's I've never had before that were delicious.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Carillon posted:

So a lot of it was really good. We ordered jamon iberico, a tortilla and a paella, split between lechon and setas. The jamon and pan con tomate were really good, highlights for sure. The tortilla was also good good flavor, really well set egg, not to tough or anything like that, I would say missing out on salt though. Similarly the paella also came across as a bit under seasoned, and the bottom didn't have a crunchy soccarat, but rather it was a thin layer of softer browning. I haven't really had a paella like that before, I'm used to the more crunchy kind, so don't know if that's a style thing or just a miss on the kitchen's part. The mushrooms were good, wildish, the main interesting one was maitaike. Overall a solid meal, but I did feel they could have used more salt in the cooked stuff.

Drinks wise, gin and tonics were great. You get a choice of a bunch of different gins, 5 different tonics, and then they come out with some nice little bundles herbs in each glass. I did two spanish gin's I've never had before that were delicious.

Have you been to Coquetta and tried the paella there? If yes, which one do you think is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Have you been to Coquetta and tried the paella there? If yes, which one do you think is better?

I haven't but it looks good, would love to A/B test there.