Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to put things into perspective a little, the japanese legal concept of "self-determination" is a synonym for suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

lofi posted:

I'm really not an expert on Japanese culture, how is suicide viewed there? Is it more culturally acceptable?

I wrote earlier that Japan has a cultural tolerance for suicide, and I believe that to be a good fairly accurate description. The good news is that suicide is on the decline after a huge spike in the late 90s/early 00s but otherwise Japanese culture still seems to put a heavier emphasis on how others perceive you vs your own individuality.

All that said there is still a general sense that suicide, in some cases, is considered a morally responsible decision. It isn't even perceived as a mental health issue, more of a societal thing.

NEET NEET NEET NEETN EETN ENENEET

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Homogeneity and fitting in with society is hugely emphasized in Japan compared to the west. You may not notice it as someone who lives here but our culture is very individualistic even compared to the norm, and even moreso compared to countries like Japan.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Worse than Korea and China, I wonder? Confucianism really did a number in those places.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
I don't think this is the case in the endings we saw, but one big factor in the perception of suicide in Japanese culture is that it was very often used as a method of atonement. Someone who massively, majorly hosed up in some regard could take their own life as atonement for their failures and they could effectively be forgiven. This is important because it doesn't just extend to them, but also protects from potential blowback against their family. Someone who failed their feudal lord in ancient times in a spectacular fashion could potential keep their family members from being killed, and might even be able to regain some shred of their honor by killing themself for their failure. Demanding suicide as atonement for failures was actually pretty common in the feudal era, IIRC.

As a somewhat bizarre example someone familiar with American culture might understand, the Hatfields and McCoys are a pair of long feuding families famous for cycles of revenge- at some point someone killed a member of the other's family, and so they kill them/one of their family members in retaliation, which causes retaliation of it's own, etc, etc etc. Well, if these were Japanese situation in the days of yore, potentially the initial killer could have atoned for the killing to the other family by killing themself and prevented everything from perpetuating.

Basically it's a potential way of being forgiven for the otherwise unforgivable- in this case you could think it of Tohru feeling so bad about how awful his life has impacted other peoples that he might think ending his own life would grant him some measure of absolution. But then, the comic didn't really imply that at all. It's still a potential bit of cultural context though.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

On the other hand you have nasty stuff like landlords going to the funeral to extort money from the family of the suicidal person for damage compensation. Because superstition is big in Japan, a suicide in an apartment severely lowers the price they can rent it out at.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Shinmera posted:

On the other hand you have nasty stuff like landlords going to the funeral to extort money from the family of the suicidal person for damage compensation. Because superstition is big in Japan, a suicide in an apartment severely lowers the price they can rent it out at.

So Tohru potentially just hosed over his boss as well?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I bet he left all his money to his boss/landlord anyway, seems like the kind of thing he'd do

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shinmera posted:

If I were the type of person who had any reason to live in Japan I would take big-time advantage of this

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lando131 posted:

Basically it's a potential way of being forgiven for the otherwise unforgivable- in this case you could think it of Tohru feeling so bad about how awful his life has impacted other peoples that he might think ending his own life would grant him some measure of absolution. But then, the comic didn't really imply that at all. It's still a potential bit of cultural context though.

i think that was plenty implied in the comic. at the very least, tohru's overly-utilitarian thought process about how to cause the least trouble, and concluding that continuing to live would cause more trouble than suicide, is definitely rooted deeply in japanese culture.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to NEET and Einstein creating a harem comic that sucks poo poo and utterly bombs. They'll grow to loath each other and during a final confrontation the old fart snuffs it due to self defence.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Mr. Steak posted:

i think that was plenty implied in the comic. at the very least, tohru's overly-utilitarian thought process about how to cause the least trouble, and concluding that continuing to live would cause more trouble than suicide, is definitely rooted deeply in japanese culture.

I definitely got that but 'society/the world would be better off without me' is a fairly universal concept and I didn't feel the vibe of 'this might make up for the trouble I've caused'

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Even though I don't read Japanese, i perused the authors site and spoiled myself some.

Goons truly taint things lol, and I officially think we need

OPTION 1

Tohru's redemption is in the past, not the present.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I think we literally picked the worst possible outcome for Tohru

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Have faith. I'm sure we can make it even worse!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Nailed it

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm glad.

Natrox
Dec 2, 2013

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Homogeneity and fitting in with society is hugely emphasized in Japan compared to the west. You may not notice it as someone who lives here but our culture is very individualistic even compared to the norm, and even moreso compared to countries like Japan.

I recently moved to Japan from a western country (the Netherlands). The cultural difference is very noticeable, but I feel that within groups of Japanese friends - individuality is tolerated pretty well. Japanese people seem to value avoiding conflict and will often go out of their way to accommodate you, even if you're being an rear end in a top hat.

In my eyes, their culture of group mentality leads to predictability and some form of stability. On the flip-side, it seems hard as hell to enact any kind of change here.

As a foreigner you're given a lot of lee-way, which can be annoying if you're trying to fit in because nobody will tell you that you're doing it wrong. In my country, people are very direct and will call you out on a lot of stuff.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Imagine being a gormless Japanese ... stuck with a Dutchman.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All I can say from the tiny amount of personal experience I have is that if you want an older store clerk or small business owner to look at you like you are a fuckin alien from mars, try handing them the money instead of setting it on the counter between the two of you. Usually there's a little tray you put the money on so the coins are easy to pick up. I know this has nothing to do with cultural viewpoints on suicide but I have never had the chance to tell anybody this and I felt like a god drat idiot when I forgot to do this and got an awkward stare as he slowly took it from me

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Do you know the reason why that's done, or is it just how things are? That sort of small everyday difference fascinates me.

Natrox
Dec 2, 2013

lofi posted:

Do you know the reason why that's done, or is it just how things are? That sort of small everyday difference fascinates me.

You didn't ask me but I can answer; Japanese people don't like body contact and they go out of their way to prevent it. Instead of handing money, the tray is there to exchange money without hand contact. I suppose this is also why they typically don't do handshakes.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Natrox posted:

You didn't ask me but I can answer; Japanese people don't like body contact and they go out of their way to prevent it. Instead of handing money, the tray is there to exchange money without hand contact. I suppose this is also why they typically don't do handshakes.

Everywhere should adopt that to be honest. It's much more hygienic.

CJacobs posted:

All I can say from the tiny amount of personal experience I have is that if you want an older store clerk or small business owner to look at you like you are a fuckin alien from mars, try handing them the money instead of setting it on the counter between the two of you. Usually there's a little tray you put the money on so the coins are easy to pick up. I know this has nothing to do with cultural viewpoints on suicide but I have never had the chance to tell anybody this and I felt like a god drat idiot when I forgot to do this and got an awkward stare as he slowly took it from me

This is genuinely interesting. In some of my many poo poo jobs I had before admitting failure as an adult and going back to school I operated a cash register and it was generally annoying if people set the money down instead of handing it over.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Resting Lich Face posted:

Everywhere should adopt that to be honest. It's much more hygienic.

This is genuinely interesting. In some of my many poo poo jobs I had before admitting failure as an adult and going back to school I operated a cash register and it was generally annoying if people set the money down instead of handing it over.

It was annoying trying to grab coins off the counter; the money trays are lined with little rubber nubs that make coins easy to pick up.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

fisting by many posted:

It was annoying trying to grab coins off the counter; the money trays are lined with little rubber nubs that make coins easy to pick up.

Exactly the coins are a loving nightmare. Why don't we have fancy rubber cash trays?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Why the gently caress do we still have coins?

Edit: OP you can have all of my coins that still are worth money for an update.

The votes are in, is winning.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man with Hat posted:

Edit: OP you can have all of my coins that still are worth money for an update.

The votes are in, is winning.

ask, and ye shall recieve.

(repeating the first two panels so its clear this is the start of a new path)

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yes, Oda! YES! TEAR IT ALL UP!

You are filled with determination!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah, so we've officially begun The Daily Life of a Certain Ex-Con Mangaka.

it ended in 2019..... we'll be here for a while.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
We'll be here less of a while if you post more NEET. :colbert:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

We'll be here less of a while if you post more NEET. :colbert:

speaking of which, now that i'm not frenetically rushing towards a choice and an ending respectively, im gonna ease back into the "short updates several times a day" schedule. before, i was just churning out panels so i could reach the milestones, but henceforth the panel buffer will return. overall i like it best when im posting one panel at a time anyway. its more genuine

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is my determination
*closes thread*

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

less... neet?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Steak posted:

ask, and ye shall recieve.

Oh, wow, it worked. I sent you some digital coffee but hit me up if you want some foreign coins in the mail I guess. Don't wanna be a liar.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Man with Hat posted:

Oh, wow, it worked. I sent you some digital coffee but hit me up if you want some foreign coins in the mail I guess. Don't wanna be a liar.

i have something to admit. youre not actually buying me coffee, you're buying me bang energy drink. its basically the same price for one lol

@bang, please sponsor me

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

This changes everything.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

how about you bang out some fricking panels

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

how about you bang out some fricking panels

Lol

Have you tried the unicorn one? It tastes like the nerds candy. I’m 35 and legit recommend it.

NOW GET BACK TO TRANSLATING

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

best bale posted:

Lol

Have you tried the unicorn one? It tastes like the nerds candy. I’m 35 and legit recommend it.

NOW GET BACK TO TRANSLATING

the unicorn one is good, but the birthday cake one LEGIT TASTES LIKE A BIRTHDAY CAKE WHAT THE gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Steak posted:

the unicorn one is good, but the birthday cake one LEGIT TASTES LIKE A BIRTHDAY CAKE WHAT THE gently caress

birthday cake is not a flavor! it's just regular cake, you can't taste the birthday part.