Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Thinking about Lightning Arrow / Barrage with Voltaxic and Snakebite. Hmm. Probably go with Assassin over Pathfinder, for the movespeed.

What's the preferred leveling route/skills for new bow characters. Rain of Arrows, tempest if you can get it, and flat damage? Maybe Toxic Rain since this is really going to be a chaos character in the end?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I might still go for a Baron zombie build even with the nerfs.

Baron Juggernaut?

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

no way. no way!! there's no way they'd let the math work like that. it's gotta be a flat 300% when you've got both

I agree it seems ridiculous but they've been keen to stick with the More = Multiplicative rule so far.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

just run zombies and queen's decree. makes up for the movement speed loss and they're still dps machines.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

euphronius posted:

They took a ton of minion speed off the ascendency and tree so that is something to consider I guess m.

I think you can roll minion speed on rings and wands, its just that the ascendencies and trees made it completely unnecessary

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LegoMan posted:

Did they ever improve on that server killing self-casting rain of fire build that also cast frozen orbs everywhere and made you nearly immortal. The one with vaal molten shell.

Yes, they nerfed molten shell dps, but actually made it better in every other way so now it's incredibly tanky while still doing a ton of dps IIRC.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

My friend called my build the lawnmower because I just ran into packs of mobs and squished them.

https://pastebin.com/d5sUSkgA

Buy a corrupted 6l bow or fossil craft one into multimod first.
Asenath's gentle touch is pretty much the item that makes this build fast. So buy that first.
This build is pretty dex starved and may not be possible without blight stuff. On blade vortex, unleash is QOL vs intensity is for ramping up the dmg. The choice is yours.

whypick1 posted:

Blade Vortex, Righteous Fire, basically any minion build.

Yeah, doubt people are going to be chasing after it again.

Thanks, I'll check these out. I think I'm gonna make a righteous fire build and the lawnmower, and maybe a ballista build since that's getting more passives.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Svensken posted:

Taken at face value I'd say it should result in a x8 shock increase.

I think, it just makes it a hell of a lot easier to reach the higher shock damage taken values, which they've said would be harder to do now. I'm guessing you're still going to have to chunk 10% of life off of Shaper-tier enemies to get the full 100% increased damage Taken from the shock.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Whats a good boss killing build? this leagues mechanic is squishing bosses together and I think I want something that is super hard to kill.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Raioner posted:

Whats a good boss killing build? this leagues mechanic is squishing bosses together and I think I want something that is super hard to kill.

I was considering a vortex/cold snap occultist as a starter, since I heard it's good for bossing. Haven't tried it yet though.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I don't think anything's changed to tank Cold Snap/Vortex, outside of them lowering the curse effectiveness after it first showed up in Betrayal? league. The main thing with it is that it's not a fast map clear, but it's not super slow or anything.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Raioner posted:

Necromancer, considering you can dedicate the majority to your gear to tank and have easy access to the MoM nodes. Might get hosed by some bosses doing stupid AOE now that zombies aren't indestructible.

HoAg Jugg, for much the same reason, only with way worse damage but Jugg beef.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cynic Jester posted:

You're probably better off waiting for the fork to update than using Openarls, considering how much stuff it lacks.

And it's up

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My necro build skeletons gained 20k dps when I updated pob. That doesn't seem right. Feeding frenzy still showing as a 25% bonus.

Cynic Jester posted:

You're probably better off waiting for the fork to update than using Openarls, considering how much stuff it lacks.

How the fork works is the change has your pob look for the forks updates and not the guy who made pob.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 11, 2019

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

My necro build skeletons gained 20k dps when I updated pob. That doesn't seem right. Feeding frenzy still showing as a 25% bonus.

How the fork works is the change has your pob look for the forks updates and not the guy who made pob.

Gems haven't been updated yet

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Well now, looks like trickster is in a much better spot for TR totems than hiero. Also duelist area gets a totem wheel!

Gonna be real hard not to league start a ballistaman, but I never trust the new poo poo.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Ok after looking at pob for way too long I don’t think I can manage to make Cyclone Jugg Baron Zombies work because I’m way too new to pull off lovely gimmick hybrids just yet.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It's not sexy, but glacial cascade mines instagib bosses if you want a boss killer.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ok after looking at pob for way too long I don’t think I can manage to make Cyclone Jugg Baron Zombies work because I’m way too new to pull off lovely gimmick hybrids just yet.

I ended up as a cyclone baron's necro by the end of the last league. It felt all but invincible and could easily take on pretty much anything without ridiculous gear. My tree was pretty... Unique... though. I was a necromancer who allocated beef manually at one point, not through oils.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Masonity posted:

allocated beef manually at one point, not through oils.

What is this heresy?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Fister Roboto posted:

Now Tāne I can get into!

Path of Exile: Metamorph - Now featuring hat wobbles, Flarhgunnstow, and nude Tāne

Also seeing that new rooting arrow skill that makes enemies "always moving" might make me see what I can do with a bleed build. If bleed is still mediocre I may just go Impale Shrapnel Ballista Champ or something with Ranger since I haven't ever really played that character.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 11, 2019

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Masonity posted:

I ended up as a cyclone baron's necro by the end of the last league. It felt all but invincible and could easily take on pretty much anything without ridiculous gear. My tree was pretty... Unique... though. I was a necromancer who allocated beef manually at one point, not through oils.

Can you toss me that build pastebin? I wanna see the manual beef.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Path of Exile: Metamorph - Now featuring hat wobbles, Flarhgunnstow, and nude Tāne

We have important work to do.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Computer can I get a print out of cross dressing Mathil smiling

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

https://pastebin.com/tLpRQYGn here, it's a bit slapdash, but I hit 1k str with open gear slots. Added plausible gem links. ~1.8 mil only zoms, ~3 mil zoms and skels, ~7 mil all in vaal skeleton burst, 6 end charges. Complete life wheels as needed (yea yea lvl 100 tree)

Possible upgrades: basically everything but vic's shield and the baron. Be on the lookout for avian aspect jewelry, saqawal's chest. I'd stay phys, but swapping to dread + impale is probably quite a dps boost

edit: post nerf maybe 5-6 mil dps all in

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2019

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Explosive Arrow posted:

If an enemy has multiple arrows stuck in them, the first one to explode will consume all other attached arrows, adding their damage to the first arrow's explosion.

On-hit effects such as Chance to Knockback are determined by the exploding arrow, however each arrow calculates it's own damage, including critical strike chance and damaging ailments independently, and these are summed to create one hit. Each arrow checks it's own critical strike chance, and only has it's critical multiplier applied to that arrow's portion of the damage if that arrow rolls a critical strike, but if any of the arrows roll a critical strike, this combined explosion will be considered a crit for on-crit effects. The same is true of damaging ailments such as ignite. For example, if the exploding arrow did not successfully roll a critical strike or ignite, that part of the explosion will have no ignite damage or critical strike multiplier. If two other arrows were also attached at the point of the explosion and they successfully rolled to critically strike, they will add their critical strike damage to the explosion, and the explosion will cause an ignite from their summed ignite damage.

Explosions now also deal added fire damage based on gem level, up to 522 to 783 at gem level 20 (from 586 to 879).

Now inherits its base critical strike chance from your weapon (previously had a 6% base critical strike chance).

Explosions now deal 3% more damage with Ignite per explosive arrow on the target.

I have questions.

At a high level, there appears to be two ways to play EA. One would be for the explosion, the other would be for the Ignite. I'm primarily focused on the ignite.

1. Do increases to fire damage affect ignite?
2. Does generic elemental damage affect ignite?
3. Is Perfect Agony required to scale crit multi on ignite?
4. Based on the description above, am I to understand that the ignite damage is determined by the sum of critical strikes + regular hits that passed the ignite check, and that other hits do not factor into the dot?
5. Does a kill from ignite or an ignite proliferation count as a kill for the sake of determining on kill abilities (onslaught gem, etc)
6. Scaling the on-hit damage will scale the ignite damage, correct? So something like Close Shot or just a weapon with higher pdps will increase the ignite?

I think that's all my questions. Based on more reading, Trickster does seem like the obvious choice.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Grimoire posted:

https://pastebin.com/tLpRQYGn here, it's a bit slapdash, but I hit 1k str with open gear slots. Added plausible gem links. ~1.8 mil only zoms, ~3 mil zoms and skels, ~7 mil all in vaal skeleton burst, 6 end charges. Complete life wheels as needed (yea yea lvl 100 tree)

Possible upgrades: basically everything but vic's shield and the baron. Be on the lookout for avian aspect jewelry, saqawal's chest. I'd stay phys, but swapping to dread + impale is probably quite a dps boost

edit: post nerf maybe 5-6 mil dps all in

I love you.

edit: What would the plan be for the leveling process? Focus on the Marauder section of the tree and loop North when it makes sense to start buffing the minions?

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 11, 2019

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have questions.

At a high level, there appears to be two ways to play EA. One would be for the explosion, the other would be for the Ignite. I'm primarily focused on the ignite.

4. Based on the description above, am I to understand that the ignite damage is determined by the sum of critical strikes + regular hits that passed the ignite check, and that other hits do not factor into the dot?
5. Does a kill from ignite or an ignite proliferation count as a kill for the sake of determining on kill abilities (onslaught gem, etc)
6. Scaling the on-hit damage will scale the ignite damage, correct? So something like Close Shot or just a weapon with higher pdps will increase the ignite?

I think that's all my questions. Based on more reading, Trickster does seem like the obvious choice.

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes, but there are probably edge case exceptions idk about
6. not exactly. increasing the base damage will make your ignite bigger, but many modifiers that work with the on hit won't work on the ignite. you want to scale the flat damage via +gem levels, anger, etc but stuff like point blank won't work

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I haven’t played since Harbinger, what’s the current thread title in reference to?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have questions.

1. Yes. Ignite scales off of the following: Damage, Damage over Time, Elemental Damage, Fire Damage, Burning Damage, Ignite Damage, Damage over Time Multiplier, Fire Damage over Time Multiplier.
2. See above.
3. Probably need to PoB that out.
4. Yes.
5. Onslaught support is not triggered by DoT (it specifically states "dealing a killing blow", i.e. a hit). Other on-kill stuff would be.
6. Yes, if you're scaling the stuff in #1.

whydirt posted:

I haven’t played since Harbinger, what’s the current thread title in reference to?

Acht has shared a few stories about playing this game with his son.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I love you.

edit: What would the plan be for the leveling process? Focus on the Marauder section of the tree and loop North when it makes sense to start buffing the minions?

No prob. Exit mara, rush north and pickup minion damage beelining extra zoms, spiritual aid and command. Then fill out life, jewels, str stacking.

Try to hit 1k str by maps, leech is a huge defensive advantage

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

whydirt posted:

whypick1 posted:

Acht has shared a few stories about playing this game with his son.

Yeah, here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828536&userid=188959&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post498373404

(I filtered his posts only and linked to the first one with his son)

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

whydirt posted:

Yeah, what Whypick1 said. :)
I started playing with my 8 y/o son and sort of started writing up every session we did and how it went and how he experienced it.

edit: woah No Safe Word

J
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone got any thoughts on storm burst versus divine ire? Specifically how they feel mechanically, mapping and boss damage capability, etc. I've not played either of them but they're on my list of skills to try and learn more about before I decide on a build.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Storm bursts a channeling skill. I've never tried divine ire.

Storm burst was fun though not good for endgame when it first came out. channeling skills have gotten a lot of support since so I imagine it's better?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Ah, shock doesn't affect poison/dot damage?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes it does

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

J posted:

Anyone got any thoughts on storm burst versus divine ire? Specifically how they feel mechanically, mapping and boss damage capability, etc. I've not played either of them but they're on my list of skills to try and learn more about before I decide on a build.

I much preferred divine ire when I tried both. Storm burst just felt a little awkward to clear with while divine ire feels smooth as hell once you have enough cast speed. Storm burst is kind of interesting in that duration essentially acts as a damage multiplier but I'd still pick DI every time.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I tried Storm Burst once and wasn't impressed. It felt like I was losing a link because Less Duration was mandatory just to make it not feel like crap. But this was before Unleash and what have you, it might be different now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So marauder duelist ranger can get +3 ballistas from the tree easily. +2 and not going all the way up to ancestral bond.

Should feel pretty good I hope.