Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Had to Google UNIST.

What is with these anime fighting games and their really fuckin' weird titles?

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[st]

I mean, they look like good games and stuff, don't get me wrong.

Even Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle is kinda weird but not in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FrostyPox posted:

Had to Google UNIST.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Japan likes weird, complicated game names.

Have you checked out Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dias posted:

Japan likes weird, complicated game names.

Have you checked out Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code

I mean, those are words that have meanings.

This must be what Japanese people feel when Westerners wear t-shirts with random Kanji on them

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FrostyPox posted:

Had to Google UNIST.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1204493762992447488?s=19

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Had to Google UNIST.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

It's weird for sure. I feel like they've just got a grab bag of words that they put together when they create a new game tbh

UNIST in particular is really interesting, however, as it's one of the few games that puts offensive rewards in based around having good defense rather than just not getting hit.

They're definitely worth a pick up on sale at least imo

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Ultra Fight Da! Kyanta 2

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Arzachel posted:

Someone said this earlier in the thread but playing SFV feels like steering a 70s lawnmower powered land barge. It's extremely noticable if you played any other fighting game regardless of how good or bad you are.

Weirdly, whenever I play BBTag after SFV it's the former that feels like I'm controlling a brick

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

King of Iron Fist Tournament 7: Tekken 7 Fated Retribution

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Thirsty Dog posted:

Weirdly, whenever I play BBTag after SFV it's the former that feels like I'm controlling a brick

Different games just feel different person to person a lot more than you'd expect, I guess. I love GG, but I'll admit that everything feels a lot heavier than watching it would imply outside of a few specific characters. Especially the momentum system, it feels kind of like Mario physics. It works because it's still really controllable and the system's better built around it than a lot of other games are around theirs, but it still surprises me whenever I come back to it that everyone besides the pixie characters are like pushing a boulder down a hill.

HerniaFlange fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 11, 2019

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Thirsty Dog posted:

The things this thread and elsewhere don't like about it literally do not matter to the vast majority of people who play fighting games.

This is false. The things wrong with the game matter to everybody, but the more casual people simply don't know how to put it into words. Everybody thinks the game looks ugly and the netcode is bad and the ads are invasive, etc, but stuff like "bad hitboxes all around" and "random input lag by design" just turns into "stubby normals" or "the game feels slightly weird but idk why" when viewed by non-experts.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I enjoy SF5 eventhough it has its flaws, and think goons in particular are WAY too hard on the game

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I enjoy SF5 eventhough it has its flaws, and think goons in particular are WAY too hard on the game

I thin k its bad

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i made a full sfv arcade cabinet

its a bad game

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm not rich enough to play SFV so I just play Train Simulator instead.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Unbelievably.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Is this an airdasher

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

This is false. The things wrong with the game matter to everybody, but the more casual people simply don't know how to put it into words. Everybody thinks the game looks ugly and the netcode is bad and the ads are invasive, etc, but stuff like "bad hitboxes all around" and "random input lag by design" just turns into "stubby normals" or "the game feels slightly weird but idk why" when viewed by non-experts.

"Everybody thinks"

No.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crocoswine posted:

Is this an airdasher

I think it's a doujin fighter

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SFV likers are wrong, I will not budge from this hill

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In the last year I've been trying to learn GG after growing up and being super bad and getting my poo poo wrecked at SF2 I never really got into fighters so I've been enjoying it as a challenge to learn something difficult. I snagged the SFV $8 deal to try it out and i'm one of those folks who can only say "i feels bad" without being able to put my finger on why. I might just prefer airdasher games. SFV feels like the game is played in the blighttown swamp.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boogalo posted:

In the last year I've been trying to learn GG after growing up and being super bad and getting my poo poo wrecked at SF2 I never really got into fighters so I've been enjoying it as a challenge to learn something difficult. I snagged the SFV $8 deal to try it out and i'm one of those folks who can only say "i feels bad" without being able to put my finger on why. I might just prefer airdasher games. SFV feels like the game is played in the blighttown swamp.

SFV feels so bad it's made me appreciate pressing buttons in sf4

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The last of the Granblue fantasy Character trailers came out today.
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1204823488881725447
All that armor :allears: And the entire roster really does look fun to play as. It will be a good year for fighting games next year.
The rest of the trailers are also on youtube.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What's the opinion on the Razer Panthera Evo? I know the OP recommends the regular Panthera. This one is improved?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FrostyPox: one of the best popular fighters of 2019 is Smash Ultimate, if you have a switch the game has an enormous playerbase, it looks good, the music is incredible, it's really well-balanced for a game with 80 characters and everyone has something unfair about them to make them fun to play. They really perfected the smash game formula, and they even have three different classic fighting game characters to choose from if you want that arcade feel. If you find all the fg porridge is too hot or too cold, perhaps Smash is right for you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

but smash isnt a fighting game

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

Saint Freak posted:

I'm not rich enough to play SFV so I just play Train Simulator instead.

Good news friend Champion Edition will run you only $25 if you have V and $40 for the whole game. What a bargain. Also

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

but smash isnt a fighting game but Slap City is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

but smash isnt a fighting game

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Franchescanado posted:

What's the opinion on the Razer Panthera Evo? I know the OP recommends the regular Panthera. This one is improved?

i have a regular panthera and its great, but I keep hearing people say they are having problems with theirs. i just got a qanba obsidian the other day and i like it a lot. i looked at the evo recently and was going to get it because it was on sale, but then learned it has razer buttons, so i grabbed the obsidian. obsdian has sanwa buttons and it can switch to x-input for use on PC more easily or hook up to ps4/ps3. I think I'd recommend this stick over the evo or a hrap.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I've been using an obsidian for 2 years and it's so nice. only complaint is the start/select placement

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Franchescanado posted:

It’s a step down from the regular one. The evo is ps4/pc only, has razer buttons, and takes longer to open if you want to change anything. That being said it’s totally fine as a stick. I would rather get something like an obsidian or even a hori fighting edge, but the evo is an OK choice especially when it goes on sale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The regular one has glued on plexi but i think evo doesnt so you can change the art the first time without a hair dryer.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

dragon enthusiast posted:

Ultra Fight Da! Kyanta 2

nodding

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'd be down to get an Obsidian instead. It's for a PS4, and would be my first stick.

Is my best bet just buying directly at $200? edit: I guess it's down to $160!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 11, 2019

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't own a Switch but plan on getting one someday at some point. I've played the N64 and Gamecube Smash games a bit, had some friends who were really into them. I think I prefer more "traditional" style fighting games but I'm obvs gonna buy Smash cuz it's real good anyway

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Franchescanado posted:

I'd be down to get an Obsidian instead. It's for a PS4, and would be my first stick.

Is my best bet just buying directly at $200?

i got mine for like 135 including shipping. imo wait for a sale unless you really really want one right now. sales tend to, but not always, align with events like capcom cup which starts friday.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

i got mine for like 135 including shipping. imo wait for a sale unless you really really want one right now. sales tend to, but not always, align with events like capcom cup which starts friday.

This is good advice, thank you. I'll wait for the next sale. Hopefully I catch it when it's happening.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
It does not go down to $135 often, I'd probably just take the $160 unless you really have zero interest in the next 6 months.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

This is good advice, thank you. I'll wait for the next sale. Hopefully I catch it when it's happening.

check around after xmas, theres usually a discount somewhere for people to spend their gift cards/money on

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Capcom really wants me to know about the Capcom Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

If you're willing to end up with two sticks (and you should because then you have one for friends!) I'd say it's worth trying to get a second hand RAP4 for sub $70 to see if you like sticks first, before dropping $200 on a higher-end one.