Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://gtfothegame.com/roadmap/

That is how COMPETENT developers work and progress, and they are TRANSPARENT in their Roadmap, even with less than 300 million dollars from idiots and 8 years

Oh, and they already have better movement, AI, weapon mechanics and physics and deliver better animations than the whole SC Star Marine poo poo and the 3rd P/FP PTU
experience.

It's amazing how many young Early Access already wipe the floor with Glitch Citizen in immersion and fundamental (and working, lol) game mechanics.

"Haha, but GTFO devs can't deliver sth of the scope of Neverrelease Citizen!"

....Yeah, about that.: CIG obviously can't either lmao

GTFO is noteworthy too because IIRC it was done by a couple people who left the PayDay team and started (you guessed it) a brand new studio from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

GTFO is noteworthy too because IIRC it was done by a couple people who left the PayDay team and started (you guessed it) a brand new studio from scratch.

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but a-are they trying to create an e-entire UNIVERSE f-from scratch????

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
That time when an official image leaked showing Citizens could buy land, then the community began panicking and melting down, then a CIG person said "don't worry, we're not selling land, just wait and see", then two hours later the official post went live showing they were selling land, and Citizens melted down big time, and the gaming media all wrote that CIG were selling land, and people called it a scam.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Inacio posted:

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but a-are they trying to create an e-entire UNIVERSE f-from scratch????

And it all makes sense now. Chris is baking an apple pie from scratch for Ben.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Don't you dare hurt FYAD

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

Don't you dare hurt FYAD

Doxxing is bad, please remember to call your parents, they miss you.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
SaltEMike: "Star Citizen Week in Review - Staggered Dev is Working?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HxegZmbJ4g

He's wearing a "scammed" tshirt :lol:

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade

The most fun time was watching CitCon 2017 with goons and Uncle Derek, particularly the bit after here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DCbvu-uF4o&t=2899s
and of course, The Ramp!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DCbvu-uF4o&t=5756s

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Quavers posted:

That time when an official image leaked showing Citizens could buy land, then the community began panicking and melting down, then a CIG person said "don't worry, we're not selling land, just wait and see", then two hours later the official post went live showing they were selling land, and Citizens melted down big time, and the gaming media all wrote that CIG were selling land, and people called it a scam.

And then somehow they collectively decided to call it land claims and that made it all better.

(scam!)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beet Wagon posted:

Exactly! :-) As a someone in desperate waiting mode for a Left 4 Dead 2 coop game with tactical movement, stealth and Alien Isolation vibes, I can highly recommend it. It's amazing how well their Alpha already plays.
We all know another called "Alpha" that they already passed in fundamental mechanics and engine performance. They might not be able to buy a 5 Million Dollar mansion tho, because they sell less jpegs and and prefer to deliver content instead of paying 300 junior teenie devs that are learning 2012 modded Cryengine workflows by try & error..

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

During the live demo a few years back, when they tried to deliver a loving box with that absurd 6 wheeled dump truck and when the truck tried to go up the ramp of the Idris, the loving truck exploded. That was a great moment, but the capper was my favorite; when the wheels of the truck came flying off and rolling towards the camera. It was the moment when the wheels literally and figuratively came flying off the project. They had to reboot the game and start from a saved instance where they made it safely on board the loving ramp of the ship with the loving box safe on deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_l7EkElHk&t=279s

Hearing one of the demo players going "Here we go. Noo" as the wheels rolled away was so good :allears:
Honorable mention to the time they showed some Star Citizen trailer at the E3 PC gaming show and most of Twitch chat was just calling it scam citizen or the like.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I think the biggest problem is that people are mistaking the point of Kickstarter, both the people using it and the people funding it. The ideal scenario is an indie game dev with a good idea who can't get funding from traditional publishers. If the product really is good, it will sell well, the kickstarter backers will get their money's worth, and the dev makes a reasonable profit. Perhaps makes a name that means he/she doesn't need to kickstart the next title.

Too few are that way. It seems kickstarter's new approach is "pay for me to try my idea" or "pay for me to make some art I want to make." Traditional publishers know these guys a mile away, which is why Chris couldn't get one, despite his supposed "great" reputation.

Kickstarter is being treated as a miniature make-a-wish foundation for idiots and it needs to stop. That said, I'm not sure how you'd stop people from doing what they want with their money, even if what they want to do is give it to grifters like Chris Roberts.

Isn't the golden era of Kickstarter games already over? I feel like a lot of people stopped backing games on there after a bunch of projects fell through.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beexoffel posted:

The most fun time was watching CitCon 2017 with goons and Uncle Derek, particularly the bit after here:
and of course, The Ramp!

Sounds like so much fun, too bad lately the event has been so much meh, it doesn't even cause people to joke much about it.

Bofast posted:

Hearing one of the demo players going "Here we go. Noo" as the wheels rolled away was so good :allears:
Honorable mention to the time they showed some Star Citizen trailer at the E3 PC gaming show and most of Twitch chat was just calling it scam citizen or the like.

Can't find it on Twitch, but YT comments are about the same quality, "Scam Citizen" and "27,000" everywhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aARzwDFGubc&t=4999s

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
CR loves to bullshit about physicality, physical this, phsycalized (is that even a word) that.How the avatars interact with the world and etc.

I just played Boneworks and holy poo poo, its phenomenal. If HL:A implements half of what Boneworks is doing, I will bet my dime that CR is going to go full on VR next year.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

no_recall posted:

I just played Boneworks and holy poo poo, its phenomenal*

lots of cool, lots of cig tier not cool.
it unironically is early days for VR big dick games though, so it's understandable

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://gtfothegame.com/roadmap/

That is how COMPETENT developers work and progress, and they are TRANSPARENT in their Roadmap, even with less than 300 million dollars from idiots and 8 years

Oh, and they already have better movement, AI, weapon mechanics and physics and deliver better animations than the whole SC Star Marine poo poo and the 3rd P/FP PTU
experience.

It's amazing how many young Early Access already wipe the floor with Glitch Citizen in immersion and fundamental (and working, lol) game mechanics.

"Haha, but GTFO devs can't deliver sth of the scope of Neverrelease Citizen!"

....Yeah, about that.: CIG obviously can't either lmao

This game looks really fuckin good and I'd buy it when it came out

TCW
Sep 28, 2015

Kikas posted:

Hey uh, it's 3 weeks till new year, meaning 3 weeks to a new decade! A decade is a nice time to summarize stuff up, so tell me thread, what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade? Can be a high point in anything, legit hype, actual progress or uh, you know, the most scummy move or the stupidest decision ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0&t=1633s

The Spectrum reveal. Yes, the first thing revealed at their show that year was forum software. Which they talked about for 20 minutes.

Don't worry though they did do a live demo after. For the forum software.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TCW posted:

The Spectrum reveal. Yes, the first thing revealed at their show that year was forum software. Which they talked about for 20 minutes.

where can i fight the sand worm in the game? looked for it in the star citizen wiki but didn't find any information??
is it well hidden in the game or something????? chris????????????????

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TCW posted:

3 years ago and they can't even get org chat into the game yet lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

With the perspective from hindsight: It's all been downhill since sandworm.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Kikas posted:

what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade

Crobbert's claim that every dollar he spends is equal to 4 by a developer with a publisher.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
here lies somethingawful

taken from us too soon by peoples publicly accessible reddit & twitter posts

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

CeeJee posted:

Crobbert's claim that every dollar he spends is equal to 4 by a developer with a publisher.

always relevant

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It'll probably be "here's an update! We changed the graphics on Teds name badge to be 16k x 16k with a 50GB normal map. You should see awesome improvements because we implemented BYNOWPLZ systems, but if not its because it's still v1! Look for our next patch!" and the next patch just never happens.

I have the feeling that we are already in that phase.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

How about how it took them 5-6 years to get Delta patching in instead of a fresh total download every time they made a change. That's a sign of game programming ineptitude that should have had anyone paying attention perplexed - how can that take a software developer that long to implement a common, basic, necessity?

It's like they are being lead by someone who has not worked with software in 15 years.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nawledgelambo posted:

here lies somethingawful

taken from us too soon by peoples publicly accessible reddit & twitter posts

just because you post something publicly doesn't mean it's public sweetie

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think other than Shovel Knight and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, most of these Kickstarters have been pretty disappointing right?

Most recent examples being Phoenix Point and Shenmue 3.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Inacio posted:

someone help me wrap my small brain around this

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beexoffel posted:

and of course, The Ramp!

In addition to this:
The most interesting for me was Bootcha's Sunk Cost Galaxy.
The most absurd is that quite a lot of people have spent thousands of dollars each, to sit behind a screen and push around a mouse or wiggle a joystick.
The most bizarre is the Stimpire text, for which I have a strange fondness that worries me a little.
And I have a collection of well over 600 shoops, screenshots and bits of text.

What a ride.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

Well, if you post it expressly for the public to read then it is.

nawledgelambo posted:

someone help me wrap my small brain around this

Sometimes you forget to set you dickpics to private in facebook

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

Isn't Phoenix point largely fine other than the launcher shenanigans?

Due to said shenanigans I'm waiting to play it, since I have XGP on PC.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think other than Shovel Knight and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, most of these Kickstarters have been pretty disappointing right?

Hollow Knight, FTL, and Timespinner are all successful and very good kickstarter games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Pillars of Eternity games have been great.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Commando Bridge being in the Goat Simulator DLC and then that Call Of Duty space game using ground control to Major Tom were my personal highlights, and the fallout from me taking full credit for both in youtube comments section, it was just a really funny time.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Wasteland 2 wasn’t bad!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

peter gabriel posted:

Commando Bridge being in the Goat Simulator DLC and then that Call Of Duty space game using ground control to Major Tom were my personal highlights, and the fallout from me taking full credit for both in youtube comments section, it was just a really funny time.

You earned your titanium exoskeleton skull.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

You earned your titanium exoskeleton skull.

beep boop

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Yup! :)

The consideration for kindness and understanding and trying to talk people out of a bad decision is looooong past.

However, we have actually moved past even the point and laugh stage. Now it's just "remember that old joke? Yep... sure was funny... let's see it again!"

I'm only waiting for the inevitable shutdown, which is looking more and more like it's going to be a slow, boring, very non-dramatic fizzle-out.

We might not even get that "well we sure did try!" Or "technology just wasn't advanced enough for what we were doing because were that good!" Type messages.

It'll probably be "here's an update! We changed the graphics on Teds name badge to be 16k x 16k with a 50GB normal map. You should see awesome improvements because we implemented BYNOWPLZ systems, but if not its because it's still v1! Look for our next patch!" and the next patch just never happens.

yeah it feels like that and i am afraid it will end like this. no big bang, no grand finale.
it'll end like a wet fart...some will notice it and laugh but then its gone.

since i see star citizor as some sort of telenovela in season 8 that would be a disappointing conclusion!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru posted:

Well, if you post it expressly for the public to read then it is

that's not how it works. what if a specific group of people finds out about it and i decide that i didnt want them to see it or repost it (even if it's still available publicly) after the fact?
checkmate, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Larian has had some really good ones.
Obsidian had several good ones.
Elite Dangerous was fine.
Bacon Man was pretty cool.
Grapple Force Rena is great.
I could personally never get into the Banner Saga games, but they seem to do well enough.