Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If the Retail thread has taught me anything, they're trying to annoy you into quitting

Wouldn't be surprised.

Kinda related: after clearing up some illness, I crashed hard (over 17 hours of sleep!) the next day, sleeping through my alarms. No harm, no foul, since I had off anyway.

Now I have to work (technically) today, and while it's entirely understandable that I'm tired-but-still-can't-sleep-kinda just because of that, I'm terrified I'll sleep through my alarms to get to work. I've got more alarms on to compensate, but I'm still worried about not waking up on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Captain Invictus posted:

you should probably talk to a lawyer or someone with legal knowledge who can offer some advice. If you let it sit much longer they'll get more and more obstinate in dealing with your problem or try blaming it on something else rather than a work-related injury.

like, at my workplace if you slipped and fell on work property, they're on the hook for it.

Yeah that's not your workplaces policy that's a law so please please please please Picnic Princess speak to a lawyer and gently caress your goddamn employers who are trying to gently caress you over

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
The more I work phone sales, the more I pray for telepathy to hurry up and be a thing already. This whiny, passive-aggressive bitch kept storming up to the counter to bitch at me for not doing her ports fast enough even as I'm juggling two other peoples' as well. Naturally, with her droning whine in my ears I messed something up, resulting in her having to come back half an hour before close to whine at me some more. Honestly I just wanted to wring this bitch's pencil neck so much, it honestly scared me.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Had a half hour meeting as soon as I got to work with my whole shift because somebody wrote the N word on a black guys toolbox. It's rare to see the 2 top managers during third shift so I assumed they would be talking about how we're behind on production or something. Nope, somebody's a racist douche.

I seriously doubt anyone on my shift did it, apparently there was a camera pointing right at the tool box, so hopefully they'll find the guy. In the year I've been working here I havent heard any racism from anyone. We have alot of African immigrants from all over the continent, quite a few conservative trump voters, Bernie bros, etc.. and for the most part everyone gets along really well and treat each other with respect.

Constipated has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Dec 9, 2019

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I was handing out paychecks and the last person to sign for their check absentmindedly pocketed my car keys off my desk. I didn't notice the keys were gone until I got off work at 6 this morning. I then had to hang out until I could get someone to wake up at 6 in the morning who had her number so I could get my keys back. I work 12 hour shifts. The employee who took home my keys made it a 14, and I gotta be back in 7. How do you take someone's keys, get home, and not realize that they're not yours?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

So it turns out the black guy wrote the N word on his own tool box.. Someone else wrote his position and D-, basically talking poo poo, and black dude went over and added on the N word to try and get that person fired. All of this was right in front of a camera. Definitely was not anticipating this twist. Guy who wrote the initial stuff is suspended, black guy got fired.

My day was lovely because they want to up the production quota on my machines to something literally impossible to hit. I understand that production is going up, but cmon guys.. Be realistic. My machines run like poo poo most of the time, everyday its something new loving up.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Constipated posted:

My day was lovely because they want to up the production quota on my machines to something literally impossible to hit. I understand that production is going up, but cmon guys.. Be realistic. My machines run like poo poo most of the time, everyday its something new loving up.

That's so they can fire you "for cause" when they want to meet profit targets.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

ryonguy posted:

That's so they can fire you "for cause" when they want to meet profit targets.

Yeah I thought about that. We make exhaust pipes for different car companies, my line makes pipes for Ford Flex SUV's. It's me and 2 other guys running our own machines making the same parts, I have the most experience and can do more maintenance type stuff than the other two guys. So I'm not too worried, even though we are non-union. This place has alot of problems.. Wouldn't be surprised at all if we get shut down in the next few years.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Got my IUD replaced and holy gently caress goddamn piss I forgot how much it loving hurts. And the cramping afterwards. I don't even want to move. And my cat keeps trying to lay on my belly so I'm in a never-ending battle to keep him off me.

If anyone gets an IUD for you, you better treat them right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Got my IUD replaced and holy gently caress goddamn piss I forgot how much it loving hurts. And the cramping afterwards. I don't even want to move. And my cat keeps trying to lay on my belly so I'm in a never-ending battle to keep him off me.

If anyone gets an IUD for you, you better treat them right.

You think they'd be upset if I asked for the receipt and returned it? I just feel like it would sit on my nightstand for years and eventually get thrown out.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

edit: venting complete

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Dec 13, 2019

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

today i learned that i have arthritis in the first joint in my index finger on my dominant hand! I'm in constant pain and nothing will ever make it go away!

I'm only 32!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

You think they'd be upset if I asked for the receipt and returned it? I just feel like it would sit on my nightstand for years and eventually get thrown out.

Honestly I needed a laugh, even if it hurt. Thank you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I try! Feel better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cosmo sex tip posted:

today i learned that i have arthritis in the first joint in my index finger on my dominant hand! I'm in constant pain and nothing will ever make it go away!

I'm only 32!

I have psoriatic arthritis in my fingers (and elsewhere).

Immunosuppressants in the right dose and anti inflammatories and not being fat go a long way to almost eliminating it and the pain. See a rheumatologist.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Meloxicam and exercise have helped my arthritis. I’m 40 and my fingers are already crooked :(

My complaint for the day:
Dried fruit, it’s delicious and if there is any around I will eat too much. I have many gut regrets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Been working 12-13 hour days all December due to the absurd volume of the holiday season, and I am physically destroyed at the end of each day

I get home, I wash up, I relax for a little bit to let my muscles and back stop screaming, and then I crawl into bed, shut my eyes, and get ready to get some hard earned rest.

dee kay

donkey kong

dee kay

donkey kong is here!

HE'S THE LEADER OF THE BUNCH, YOU KNOW HIM WELL, HE'S FINALLY BACK, TO KICK SOME TAIL

HIS COCONUT GUN, CAN FIRE IN SPURTS, IF HE SHOOTS YA, IT'S GONNA HURT

DEE KAY

DONKEY KONG

DEE KAY

DONKEY KONG IS HERE

there is no rest for the wicked, the donkey kong rap which I haven't even thought about in probably a decade until it inexplicably started playing in my brain as I try to sleep has decided to make sure of that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well then, hopefully someone here can help. I just got a message from a customer whom I shipped something to via fedex with an estimated delivery date of December 13-19, fedex changed the date and the new estimated delivery date is after christmas. The customer is, of course, very upset about this and are saying "it NEEDS to be here in time for christmas" because it's a Christmas present, of course. Anyone have experience with contacting fedex and such about possibly getting something there in time for christmas? Like, this was shipped out at the beginning of the month, and I know shits hosed at shipping companies all through december(I mean, I literally just posted about my horrible work hours at UPS during peak season before this post) but is there nothing that can be done? Really don't want to hassle their customer service folks too much if it can be helped, but I also don't want to be thrown under the bus by the multi-billion dollar corporation and have a fight with a customer over it, especially if they try to revoke payment or something worst case scenario, it would completely gently caress my finances since this was a big purchase and I have a funny feeling based on the wording of their message they would try to return it if it showed up the day after christmas.

edit: welp, basically told to get hosed after 20 minutes of trying to reason with the fedex customer service guy, so now it's time to lay at the mercy of the ebay customer, guess I'll die then

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Dec 18, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

there's something wrong with my car and i think it's because at work they haven't plowed the parking lot and we all have to just drive over giant heaps of ice and frozen snow at a loving car dealership and one of the dust shields in my wheel well broke from doing that and i literally have $20 haven't paid my rent this month yet and just found out we're not getting paid commission for the month when that's literally half my pay and was how i was going to pay rent and i want to kill myself

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

it's the water pump and i don't have any money and i don't know what to do and im 36 years old and a childish failure and there's no reason for me to be alive

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tell them you can’t work if you’re not getting paid.

In the interim, go stay with a mate or family and look after yourself. Relax and find your feet first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I may or may not be working the rest of this week after christmas. Just loving tell me one way or another, don't hem and haw and say you'll let me know on tuesday. I'm fine with either outcome but I like to mentally prepare and not hope for days off and not get them/hope for the paycheck and not get it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I may or may not be working the rest of this week after christmas. Just loving tell me one way or another, don't hem and haw and say you'll let me know on tuesday. I'm fine with either outcome but I like to mentally prepare and not hope for days off and not get them/hope for the paycheck and not get it.
when my workplace pulls wishy-washy bullshit like that I just give them a deadline to let me know and if they don't I'll just plan based on the info at that time. workplaces demanding control over your life at a moment's notice can go gently caress themselves.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Found out that not only am I on call this week over Christmas, but that I have to come in tomorrow (12/24) because the call center part of our business doesn't get the day off as a holiday, even though the rest of the company does. I'll have one person as a backup but have to be in at 7am because the company doesn't want to treat call center people like humans with families, I suppose. I'll get double time & a half pay but personally I'd take the day off & standard holiday any time because I'd rather be home or with family, especially with the number of stubborn sick idiots that drag themselves in for days/weeks spreading their crap around.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

i mean the people coming in sick are probably not doing so out of stupidity if they work in a place that you already said doesn't treat them as people... call centers usually fire you if you try to call in ime

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Was given a heads up that I'm in trouble at work for sanding ice while moving between venues the other night. Same place I wiped out on couple weeks back. And after we received a work wide email telling everyone to be proactive about sanding ice when we see it needs to be done. My boss is insane. I'm just going to laugh in her face tomorrow.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
An aunt on my mum's side was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I lost an uncle on my dad's side to pancreatic cancer in easter earlier this year.

gently caress. CANCER.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

i mean the people coming in sick are probably not doing so out of stupidity if they work in a place that you already said doesn't treat them as people... call centers usually fire you if you try to call in ime

A lot of the people who have been coming in are people who have the option to work from home (non-call center, usually in management or another role) so they don't have an excuse. We have video conferencing options like Skype & Zoom where they can attend meetings as needed remotely & still access all they need on VPN. At least 3 people have been coughing their guts out for almost a month now, 2 of them sit within like 20 feet of me & it's loving gross :smithicide:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

Was given a heads up that I'm in trouble at work for sanding ice while moving between venues the other night. Same place I wiped out on couple weeks back. And after we received a work wide email telling everyone to be proactive about sanding ice when we see it needs to be done. My boss is insane. I'm just going to laugh in her face tomorrow.

I really want to know why it became standard to tell employees mutually contradictory things nonstop. It wasn't even "hey it's the Great Recession and people are desperate, treat them like poo poo" stuff as it started before that. Before...oh, say 2006, 2007 it was mostly "here's the list of poo poo you need to do just go get it done." Then somewhere along the line upper management in every company just kind of decided that company policy was best when it was literally impossible to follow. It got worse after the recession but like...what?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HR. HR is what started happening. Back when all they did was hire and fire it was easy. Now they're like the first line of defense to keep corporate assets safe. It's what leads to poorly defined job responsibilities and why every possible infraction has "disciplinary action up to, and including, termination" applied to it.

Keep it vague enough and you can get rid of anyone without severance if you have to.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Oh 100%. HR does not have workers backs. There have been complaints by others about management over the years and it's been consistently amd completely ignored.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some people are still under the belief that HR is there to help the employees. These people are morons. I work in HR.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Actually I don’t work in HR but that doesn’t make my post less true.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ok yes I guess the part about where I said I work in HR is actually less true because it isn’t true at all but the parts before that part are even truer in comparison to the falsehood following them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

More like Oldaimless.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
This has been the least-Christmassy Christmas I've ever experienced. Hopefully it gets a bit better by tonight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Astrofig posted:

This has been the least-Christmassy Christmas I've ever experienced. Hopefully it gets a bit better by tonight.

There’s like no decorations in the towns near me, it’s so weird. Usually there’s lights and whatnot on the streetlights and whatnot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Everyone I know is saying the same thing. It just kind of happened, no one has any interest. I think it's just been a lovely year for a lot of people and they're not in the spirit.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Holiday spirit is a commons, like the rivers and lakes and forests and poo poo. Our society made them.

In full capitalist spirit they cut down those social forests, drained those social rivers and basically made that commons look like Mordor

You will see a systematic decrease in holiday spirit, same way you will see a systematic decrease in fish stocks, old growth forests, nonpoison lakes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s like no decorations in the towns near me, it’s so weird. Usually there’s lights and whatnot on the streetlights and whatnot.

You know, you may be on to something....the main thoroughfare in my city is usually lit within a couple days of Thanksgiving. Lights & decorations on trees, street lights, buildings, you name it.

This year? Nothing. No snowflake or candle lights up, no string lights on buildings or trees, very few houses around town with big decorations like they'd usually have. It seems really weird, it's like the happiness has been sucked out of the town entirely.