Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

hatty posted:

Designed by someone who has never owned a cat I suppose

Just like the old MBP keyboards! Quick, give all hardware designers cats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apple finally releases a silver/black keyboard/etc, a good decade and change after making the iMac silver and black. And they’re only available with a Mac Pro (at least temporarily, if the space gray ones that were initially iMac Pro exclusive are any indication).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

hatty posted:

Or maybe it was designed by a cat. Never underestimate how deep this goes.

eames
May 9, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple finally releases a silver/black keyboard/etc, a good decade and change after making the iMac silver and black. And they’re only available with a Mac Pro (at least temporarily, if the space gray ones that were initially iMac Pro exclusive are any indication).

Didn’t the space grey keyboards go for $1k and more when they were iMac Pro exclusive? Buy a silver and space grey Magic Keyboard, swap the keys and sell the result on eBay for stupid money. :haw:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hatty posted:

I love my Fractal R5 to death, but I had to put a piece of cardboard with tape over the power button because my cats were shutting my server down weekly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Send in your Mac Pro to me and I'll either relocate the power button to the front or add on a safety guard for the existing top button for $999.

The cottage industry of Mac Pro mods is going to be wild and I'm not even exaggerating.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Only two USB-A ports good god

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Only two USB-A ports good god

Dongle life

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a pci card with USB ports aplenty is like $15.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

e: double post

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
More broadly, what do you need USBA for that can’t be solved with TB3 or networked storage?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

More broadly, what do you need USBA for that can’t be solved with TB3 or networked storage?

If somebody is spending $10k+ on a Mac Pro, I'd like to think they'd be taking advantage of the dual 10 Gbe ethernet ports.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Also like the two TB3 ports on the top of the machine by the power button

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mouse or mouse dongle, mechanical keyboard, USBLED waifu sculpture, thrustmasters (both of them), the list goes on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

well why not posted:

Mouse or mouse dongle, mechanical keyboard, USBLED waifu sculpture, thrustmasters (both of them), the list goes on.

Dongles and hubs everywhere.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

well why not posted:

USBLED waifu sculpture

If your waifu sculptures aren't USB-C, how devoted are you, really?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

true believers have had their figs since USB-A, trap sprung my friend ! !

eames
May 9, 2009

So that matte nano texture glass won’t show up on MBPs anytime soon.

apple support article posted:

Use only the dry polishing cloth that comes with your display to wipe dust or smudges off the screen. Don't add water or use other liquids to clean the nano-texture glass.
Never use any other cloths to clean the nano-texture glass. If you lose the included polishing cloth, you can contact Apple to order a replacement polishing cloth.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210229

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It also says that to clean the polishing cloth you should hand wash it and then let it dry 24 hours before using it again.

Also how much does a replacement cloth cost? They probably hoard it like nazi gold.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah you know someone like a coworker, spouse, friend, child is going to touch that nano glass with pizza fingers. And lol at the depreciation on the secondary market when a bunch of handlers are going to grease up that nano glass as well.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
just bought one for $17,500. work receives a 10% discount on the wheels :coal:

16-core
192GB
4TB
580X
XDR nano-texture

AppleCare is only $210 on this thing which seems way too low, and you also need to buy AC for the monitor.

Not My Money. Arrives by 1/7 :D

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't wait for the inevitable Pro Display XDR+ with a higher refresh rate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Holy hell, the power supply on the CheeseGrater ][ is up to 1.4 kilowatts.

LOL, there's a single internal USB-A port meant for security dongles.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
HP Z8 workstations have had 1.45kw power supplies for a while now. Apple is just catching up.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
1.4kw is getting pretty close to the maximum you can draw on a regular US household circuit (which is around 1.8kw, IIRC).

The previous tower Mac Pro already had a 1kw power supply, IIRC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Holy hell, the power supply on the CheeseGrater ][ is up to 1.4 kilowatts.

LOL, there's a single internal USB-A port meant for security dongles.

The $50k version pulls almost a kilowatt when it's running at full tilt.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple says the maximum is 1280 watts draw with their offered options.

Also you can use two types of DIMMs, but you can't mix types on the logic board- it's gotta be all one type or the other.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 11, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
302W at idle.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What do you expect at 28 cores. AMD Epyc might save a little energy but it's still an obscene amount of power for one desktop.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you expect at 28 cores. AMD Epyc might save a little energy but it's still an obscene amount of power for one desktop.

Two dual-core AMD GPUs probably doesn't help. I wonder if the Afterburner is a hog.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lazyhound posted:

302W at idle.

It’s pondering its raison d'être

eames
May 9, 2009

That 300W idle figure is really, really high. I would hope that most of it is from the two GPUs and the large amount of RAM.
If the base version also idles at >200W then it’s probably due to the over-dimensioned PSU being inefficient at idle.

e: the base version idles at 100W, that seems alright.

eames fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 11, 2019

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s a neat piece of kit to expense for work but going with an Intel CPU and AMD GPU kinda sucks given where the market is

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait, the new Mac Pro is single socket?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, looks like. No more daughterboard, it's pretty much like the G5 tower in that respect. The CPU is socketed / removable, at least.

I'd imagine that a rev. B modular Mac Pro might have room for dual CPUs.

The internal speaker is in it's own module, looks like the size of the Mac Mini one with a mini-woofer? It looks like one of those USB battery packs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 12, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait, the new Mac Pro is single socket?

Weird because Dell and Lenovo both offer dual cpu in that style

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Daring Fireball guy pointed out that if you pay for the Apple display and the stand with the Apple credit card you'll get $400 cash back.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Socket talk: The trashcan was Apple’s big bet on not needing dual socket for their core creative market because gpu compute was going to rule the content creation world. That turned out to be a pretty good bet, but they hosed up the execution by tying themselves to a very constrained platform, both volume and thermals. The new Mac Pro corrects these problems.

Presumably they don’t think their remaining pro users care more about CPUs than GPUs. 28 cores is a lot, after all, and if they added another ~300W CPU socket, that’d cut into the power budget for GPUs. (The poster above is entirely correct that ~1.5kW is an important limit for common house and office power wiring in the US. Going above that limit creates a lot of pain for your end users, which means pain for you.)

The Mac Pro niche I know of that will definitely complain is software devs compiling big projects, since compilation of a zillion source files scales quite nicely (though linking does not). I guess Apple’s message to them is... buy multiple boxes and build a build farm?

The thing they didn’t fix is making nice with nvidia, although the problems there might come from both ends. NV’s CEO is notoriously hard to deal with, after all.

Even if he wasn’t, it’s not hard to read between the lines and guess that much of the disconnect has been tension over CUDA. Because capitalism, NV is doing everything it can to ensure that CUDA remains the only widely used GPU compute programming environment. That’s never going to sit well with Apple, which wants to completely control core APIs and other technologies used in its platforms.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If 1.5kw is a problem for modern high end CPUs in a dual socket configuration with 2+ modern high end GPUs then that would be a real problem for HP, Dell, etc. who currently make workstations in that configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Fairly sure none of them support as many high power GPUs at the same time. Some of them may also be configs where you get a note in the box informing you that if all you have is a standard wall socket, it’s time to hire an electrician to come in and put in a new circuit.