Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Nairbo posted:

Alright thanks guys. In that case I'll likely do the A+ on my own for now since it seems pretty easy so far, follow it up with Network+ if I can figure it out without hands on experience. Later on once we move, a CCNA course locally in Houston or Dallas that has Cisco equipment to get actual hands on experience with. I'm guessing a home lab isn't going to cut it. In the meantime I'll look into volunteering after getting my A+ and maybe Network+.

I did manage to get the ebook of Volume 1 for the new CCNA curriculum and will eventually pickup volume 2 in a few weeks since they're not too pricey, if only to be somewhat prepared for a classroom environment.

Appreciate the info and advice

If you haven't already, you may want to make a free account on Cisco's "Netacad" and download Packet Tracer. Packet Tracer has a bunch of simulated network devices (switches, routers, client devices) that you're able to configure and connect. I haven't taken the Network+ myself (went straight to CCNA), but I figure having at least some access to networking equipment may be handy for really nailing down some concepts.

I'll also be taking the A+ soon, so if you have questions about it you can PM me or post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

If you haven't already, you may want to make a free account on Cisco's "Netacad" and download Packet Tracer. Packet Tracer has a bunch of simulated network devices (switches, routers, client devices) that you're able to configure and connect. I haven't taken the Network+ myself (went straight to CCNA), but I figure having at least some access to networking equipment may be handy for really nailing down some concepts.

I'll also be taking the A+ soon, so if you have questions about it you can PM me or post here.

What materials are you primarily using to study for the A+?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Dracula Factory posted:

What materials are you primarily using to study for the A+?

I'm using uCertify as it's provided to me as part of my WGU degree plan. Haven't had the best experience with uCertify before, but so far their A+ course seems to be doing me well enough - we'll see if I actually pass the exams though!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I have to imagine the A+ will be a lot easier than the CCNA. I'm about halfway through the Professer Messer videos and so far the only really weird poo poo that's shown up on mock exams are things like which vacuum to use to clean a printer and the system requirements for x64 vs x86 versions of Windows 7, which quite frankly I can't believe are a real thing. For anyone who's taken A+, is this poo poo really on the exam? The disparity between some of the questions is hilarious, some of them my only barely computer literate mom could answer but then you get asked some really odd ones, again, assuming the practice exams reflect the real one.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Heer98 posted:

Hey guys! I asked about Microsoft certifications a few weeks ago, and you have some helpful answers, but I’m still a bit confused.

Since Microsoft is retiring most of their stable of certifications this year, my company has told me that I can satisfy their requirement for a new employee to earn a certificate with “The MTA certification” or one of the MCSE modules.

MTA is a series of certifications, and each test is an MTA certification, correct? A few of them actually seem relevant to me.

As for MCSE, I’m still a little fuzzy on what is being retired, and what is new/current.

How long would it take to study for one of these modules? Some of the MTA modules seem pretty basic, while what I’ve read about MCSE seems intermediate. I’ve only taken a CompTIA Security+, which was about three months of tedious buzzword memorizing, and I assume it’ll be like that.

Hey man, I was confused about this too. They put out a poster pdf recently that cleared it up for me.

https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE2PjDI

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of you guys work with ERPs?

I've been an "IT Accountant" for the past couple of years and it's been getting a little bit old. Development of the system is stagnating and I'm realizing ERP work in the best case is you sitting on your rear end and escalating issues and in the worst case is doing other people's jobs for them and training end users constantly.

Am I right? Does it just sound like these are symptoms of problems my current company has?

I always fantasized about being a pentester, but I've been too busy working to develop any of these skills.

Fell rear end backwards into an admin position and it's hard to let go of it when I got a loving philosophy degree. This is the first time in my life I'm not being paid minimum wage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Any of you guys work with ERPs?

I've been an "IT Accountant" for the past couple of years and it's been getting a little bit old. Development of the system is stagnating and I'm realizing ERP work in the best case is you sitting on your rear end and escalating issues and in the worst case is doing other people's jobs for them and training end users constantly.

Am I right? Does it just sound like these are symptoms of problems my current company has?

I always fantasized about being a pentester, but I've been too busy working to develop any of these skills.

Fell rear end backwards into an admin position and it's hard to let go of it when I got a loving philosophy degree. This is the first time in my life I'm not being paid minimum wage.

This sounds like every entry-level IT position ever. There's a reason we make the new guys do it - you never stop training idiots and doing other people's jobs, but the challenges at least get more interesting and the pay goes up. Having a job in IT at all is the first step to whatever you want to do, but it can't be the only step. Find a piece of tech you like and set up a home lab. You want to get into pentesting? Stand up the tools pentesters use - Wireshark, Splunk, Nessus, etc. and play with them. Get an old Cisco router off Ebay and see if you can get into global configuration mode without doing a hard reset. Get a lovely white-label IP camera and see if you can sniff the video stream or get root access. Hell, install old versions of whatever enterprise software has a free trial and see if you can exploit vulnerabilities off their patch notes. Wouldn't hurt to start doing research on relevant laws or standards - look at NIST 800-53, HIPAA, PCI, SOX, GDPR.... Security is a huuuuuuge field and there are so many things to specialize in. Pentesting is a practical application of knowledge, but you have to pick a knowledge domain to start with and eventually specialize in. A good pentester needs to be able to do both red and blue team work.

You'll never just have time at work to develop those skills - you'll have to do it on your own time. If you don't enjoy learning about it enough to want to do it in your spare time while it's not your 9-5, don't go into it. Security is one of those unique fields where a lot of the people that do it are passionate enough about it that it borders on obsession - especially pentesters - and you need to be able to compete with that. Bounty programs don't exist to convince people to try to hack your poo poo - they're going to do it anyways. They exist to try to convince those people to disclose what they found.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 10, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I may have got myself into a bind. My new boss was really interested when I told him I was studying for CCNA security. I wasn't planning on doing it just yet. Anyway I need to get this done by Feb 23. I have my CCNA it expired though but this cert will renew it. Has anyone else taken CCNA securty 210-260? I'm going to try and knock it out in a month. He's given me a huge amount of study time but there is pressure.

I expect this will take a month?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DropsySufferer posted:

I may have got myself into a bind. My new boss was really interested when I told him I was studying for CCNA security. I wasn't planning on doing it just yet. Anyway I need to get this done by Feb 23. I have my CCNA it expired though but this cert will renew it. Has anyone else taken CCNA securty 210-260? I'm going to try and knock it out in a month. He's given me a huge amount of study time but there is pressure.

Does another cert renew the CCNA R&S if it expired? I thought you had to retake the test if it expired.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Correct, if it actually expired you have to retake it all. If you test while it's still valid, all certs at the same level renew.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

Good luck to you. I looked into it a couple of months ago and the cert and study materials seemed like hot garbage, much like Ciscos entire Next-gen firewall platform. I dont have any advice besides maybe trying to take CCNA wireless or something else to renew in time.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

DropsySufferer posted:

Not what you asked, but I passed the CCNA Wireless exam with about 30 hours of study time. The knowledge is not in depth, but you'll need to be able to recall stuff like frequency bands and agencies. Keep in mind that you'll also have to take the CCENT as the Wireless exam alone won't confer a CCNA Wireless.

I'm trying to knock out CCNA Cyber Ops before the Feb deadline. This is generic security analyst training, and I'd rather have a junior firewall admin know this material than being able to recite three key features of Cisco ESA, WSA, ISE, etc. which is what CCNA Security will give you. It is a standalone program and you do not need to take the CCENT to earn CCNA Cyber Ops. It is a 2 exam sequence, but if you are familiar with incident response, the SECFND is not at all difficult. I felt the OCGs covered the material well, but I haven't started on SECOPS yet. If you pass this exam, you will be converted to a CCNA in February. Unless you work with ASDMs, IPv6, and routing protocols on a regular basis, I think it'd be less work than CCENT+CCNA Security.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

MF_James posted:

Does another cert renew the CCNA R&S if it expired? I thought you had to retake the test if it expired.

My understanding is that if my CCNA has R&S expired (it did a year ago) I could take something like CCNA wireless, or security instead and it would renew R&S as well? Cisco's website doesn't make this this very clear.

Contingency posted:

Not what you asked, but I passed the CCNA Wireless exam with about 30 hours of study time. The knowledge is not in depth, but you'll need to be able to recall stuff like frequency bands and agencies. Keep in mind that you'll also have to take the CCENT as the Wireless exam alone won't confer a CCNA Wireless.

I'm trying to knock out CCNA Cyber Ops before the Feb deadline. This is generic security analyst training, and I'd rather have a junior firewall admin know this material than being able to recite three key features of Cisco ESA, WSA, ISE, etc. which is what CCNA Security will give you. It is a standalone program and you do not need to take the CCENT to earn CCNA Cyber Ops. It is a 2 exam sequence, but if you are familiar with incident response, the SECFND is not at all difficult. I felt the OCGs covered the material well, but I haven't started on SECOPS yet. If you pass this exam, you will be converted to a CCNA in February. Unless you work with ASDMs, IPv6, and routing protocols on a regular basis, I think it'd be less work than CCENT+CCNA Security.

Thanks for the mentioning this. I was starting to watch CBT nugget videos on CCNA security that has been interesting but I've heard that the security test doesn’t match with core study materials and can be hard. I'm going to take a look at wireless instead.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 11, 2019

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

DropsySufferer posted:

My understanding is that if my CCNA has R&S has expired (it did a year ago) I could take something like CCNA wireless, or security instead and it would renew R&S as well? Cisco's website doesn't make this this very clear.

Any exam that would recertify you needs to be taken before the cert expires.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate/ccna-routing-switching.html#~stickynav=6

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Looks like I’m going to need to pass the CCNA R&S composite exam first. Shouldn’t take me too long it’s just review.

edit: Forget that idea the composite exam has a 90 percent fail rate. Safer to do the two exams. Lesson here don’t let your CCNA expire!

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 11, 2019

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

DropsySufferer posted:

Looks like I’m going to need to pass the CCNA R&S composite exam first. Shouldn’t take me too long it’s just review.

edit: Forget that idea the composite exam has a 90 percent fail rate. Safer to do the two exams. Lesson here don’t let your CCNA expire!

For CCNA Wireless? You can do ICND1 and then take the wireless exam. You do not need a CCNA to get CCNA Wireless.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Would passing ICND1 + Wireless also renew my expired CCNA R&S? I will be going for my CCNP R&S as well after I finish this cert.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DropsySufferer posted:

Would passing ICND1 + Wireless also renew my expired CCNA R&S? I will be going for my CCNP R&S as well after I finish this cert.

No, nothing will renew your expired certs, you have to renew them prior to expiration by either taking an equal level or higher level test.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

DropsySufferer posted:

It won't renew it. Instead, obtaining your CCNA Wireless after the cert revamp announcement will convert you to the new CCNA in February. It does not matter if your CCNA is renewed (it won't), because you'll be awarded a CCNA if you can get your CCNA Wireless by the Feb deadline. You also will not need a CCNA to get a CCNP as of the cert revamp.
Doesn't matter if you have a CCNA Wireless, R&S, or Security, it'll become a CCNA in February.
Have an expired certification? You get nothing.
Take the CCNA Wireless exam and don't meet the CCNA:Wireless prerequisites? You get nothing.
Pass the CCNP Switch, Route, and Tshoot by February without meeting the CCNP prerequisites? Cisco will give you a CCNP:Enterprise.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
That makes perfect sense thanks for the help.

My company is going to have a junior network engineer position opening summer next year. I’m really going to be working on getting new cisco certs and must be ready by then if I expect to get it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

DropsySufferer posted:

That makes perfect sense thanks for the help.

My company is going to have a junior network engineer position opening summer next year. I’m really going to be working on getting new cisco certs and must be ready by then if I expect to get it.

Good luck! One thing I'd add is that in recent iterations of the CCNA, Cisco shifted many ICND2 topics to ICND1. It's still CCNA level material, but there's labs now instead of basic stuff like subnetting. I'd also recommend looking through the CCNA Wireless book ASAP before scheduling any exam to see how familiar you are with the material. If you plan a month for ICND1 and another month for CCNA Wireless, you won't have much margin for a retake. Passing two exams is doable, but your nights and weekends are going to be forfeit for a while.

Strategy wise, you have a couple approaches:
1) Look at CCNA Wireless first. Material too unfamiliar to knock it out in a month? Make a call to replace it with ICND2 to get your CCNA or wait for the new CCNA exam in February.
2) Knock out ICND1 first. From there, you have three options: A) go ahead with the CCNA Wireless as originally planned, B) take ICND2 and get your CCNA, and C) take the CCNA composite exam. It may not make sense to consider the composite exam if you've already passed ICND1, but it's like this--every question you take that is on a ICND1 topic is a question that isn't on an ICND2 topic. The tradeoff is that it's a longer, more expensive exam.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I did the CCNA security a few months ago. It loving sucked. Don't bother with the official book, it has almost nothing of value. CBT nuggets got me mostly through it, but there is a -lot- in that course. It looks deceivingly small, but at least when I went through it there were a ton of 10 minute long videos that ended up linking you to 1.5 hour videos in the old course.

I studied casually for it for several months, and the last month was hardcore. I labbed the poo poo out of it. When I got to the actual test, I think about 25-30% of it was full of terms and acronyms that in all of my study I had never come across once. I did my best at educated guessing. I'm still not sure how in the hell I managed to pass it. I can't say that I truly gained anything of value from it except maybe how to set up VPN tunnels but that poo poo is all wizards that guide you through it so I don't know.

Learning to hack switches was fun, though, and I think ultimately led me down the path that I'm in now - taking the OSCP in 3 weeks.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

KillHour posted:

This sounds like every entry-level IT position ever. There's a reason we make the new guys do it - you never stop training idiots and doing other people's jobs, but the challenges at least get more interesting and the pay goes up. Having a job in IT at all is the first step to whatever you want to do, but it can't be the only step. Find a piece of tech you like and set up a home lab. You want to get into pentesting? Stand up the tools pentesters use - Wireshark, Splunk, Nessus, etc. and play with them. Get an old Cisco router off Ebay and see if you can get into global configuration mode without doing a hard reset. Get a lovely white-label IP camera and see if you can sniff the video stream or get root access. Hell, install old versions of whatever enterprise software has a free trial and see if you can exploit vulnerabilities off their patch notes. Wouldn't hurt to start doing research on relevant laws or standards - look at NIST 800-53, HIPAA, PCI, SOX, GDPR.... Security is a huuuuuuge field and there are so many things to specialize in. Pentesting is a practical application of knowledge, but you have to pick a knowledge domain to start with and eventually specialize in. A good pentester needs to be able to do both red and blue team work.

You'll never just have time at work to develop those skills - you'll have to do it on your own time. If you don't enjoy learning about it enough to want to do it in your spare time while it's not your 9-5, don't go into it. Security is one of those unique fields where a lot of the people that do it are passionate enough about it that it borders on obsession - especially pentesters - and you need to be able to compete with that. Bounty programs don't exist to convince people to try to hack your poo poo - they're going to do it anyways. They exist to try to convince those people to disclose what they found.

Thanks for the response! And for the direct suggestions.

I don't mean to treat my day job as a cop-out. I agree that I just need to get off my rear end and learn myself some poo poo.

My current position is business development/cost accountant/erp end user help desk/system architect/product subject matter expert and I suppose I should be grateful for the skills I am developing on the day to day.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hello, I'm Crunchy Black and I'm trying to extend my desirability to my current company and to any future potential employers.

Background:
I'm a serious homelabber, I currently whitebox ESXi, Linux/QEMU, FreeNAS, have a decent amount of Ubiquiti gear, etc. I've been following/very interested in computer hardware since I was a child.

I have a degree in broadcast journalism that came about after I realized that getting a MIS degree from a school that had it requiring all the prerequisites of a Finance degree surpassed my mathematical acumen. Once I realized I didn't want to be a Producer for live TV, I ended up falling into a job doing technical writing for a company that designed Intel processor boards, backplanes, rugged computers, etc. This turned into me becoming this company's only FAE; this enabled me to become *beyond* intimately familiar with Intel CPUs, PCIe space/performance/NUMA tuning, etc.

About a year ago, I realized they didn't respect my contributions, both personally and financially, for a variety of reasons, and decided to leave, both for that reason and seeing the way things are going, wanted to get my feet wet in software/service, at least a little bit.

I've been working for a rather niche MSP/IaaS company as a Customer Success Manager, "Technical Account Manager" for a little over 6 months now. They are implementing an education reimbursement program starting next year so I want to maximize that opportunity. The current employer has a couple of datacenters both domestically and abroad; I've mostly been able to coast on my intrinsic Intel/homelab experience to learn the ropes.

Essentially, I'm just trying to see what is in demand in this space. I know, based on looking through some cursory practice that I could probably sit for an A+ with a days' worth of brush up and be fine. I saw a cert listed on a Microsoft listing that I cannot, for the life of me find, now, that seemed like an ISO/ basic type of "don't gently caress poo poo up" type deal for DCs.

Let me know if any more context would help, but I'm really just looking for a pulse on what someone in my position might should think about. Also--while I wouldn't mind being in the DC (and honestly probably should given what my job has evolved into,) I'm currently at a remote HQ.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Any good primer on where to start with AWS exams? Their page loops around in circles.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 17, 2019

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CrazyLittle posted:

Any good primer on where to start with AWS exams? Their page loops around in circles.

Are you looking to get started with a specific one?

If you have 0 knowledge about AWS you can start the AWS Certified Cloud Practicioner exam. This is basically a presales exam which has a complete free online on demand training course on the aws training website you can follow. It teaches you what services there are and what you can use them for. Only do this if your boss pays for the cert and you know nothing about AWS / cloud. This is their lowest level certification.

The technical certifications are called Associate levels and there are 3 of them. Solution Architect, which is a mile wide and not very deep, mostly tests about which services you use for which use cases and how to make the most of it. SysOps is all about keeping your applications running smoothly and is all about deployments, autoscaling, compute, storage, networking and monitoring/logging. Then there’s Developer which is more focussed on how to build cloud native applications and services and deploy them properly.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I've been using AWS day-to-day for a couple years now so I might as well go for the Solution Architect cert. What's your recommendation?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Hello, I'm Crunchy Black and I'm trying to extend my desirability to my current company and to any future potential employers.

Background:
I'm a serious homelabber, I currently whitebox ESXi, Linux/QEMU, FreeNAS, have a decent amount of Ubiquiti gear, etc. I've been following/very interested in computer hardware since I was a child.

I have a degree in broadcast journalism that came about after I realized that getting a MIS degree from a school that had it requiring all the prerequisites of a Finance degree surpassed my mathematical acumen. Once I realized I didn't want to be a Producer for live TV, I ended up falling into a job doing technical writing for a company that designed Intel processor boards, backplanes, rugged computers, etc. This turned into me becoming this company's only FAE; this enabled me to become *beyond* intimately familiar with Intel CPUs, PCIe space/performance/NUMA tuning, etc.

About a year ago, I realized they didn't respect my contributions, both personally and financially, for a variety of reasons, and decided to leave, both for that reason and seeing the way things are going, wanted to get my feet wet in software/service, at least a little bit.

I've been working for a rather niche MSP/IaaS company as a Customer Success Manager, "Technical Account Manager" for a little over 6 months now. They are implementing an education reimbursement program starting next year so I want to maximize that opportunity. The current employer has a couple of datacenters both domestically and abroad; I've mostly been able to coast on my intrinsic Intel/homelab experience to learn the ropes.

Essentially, I'm just trying to see what is in demand in this space. I know, based on looking through some cursory practice that I could probably sit for an A+ with a days' worth of brush up and be fine. I saw a cert listed on a Microsoft listing that I cannot, for the life of me find, now, that seemed like an ISO/ basic type of "don't gently caress poo poo up" type deal for DCs.

Let me know if any more context would help, but I'm really just looking for a pulse on what someone in my position might should think about. Also--while I wouldn't mind being in the DC (and honestly probably should given what my job has evolved into,) I'm currently at a remote HQ.

Your career path seems to be headed more towards the planing side of things than hands-on administration. Maybe look at something for project management (PMP, Scrum Master, etc.) or process improvement (6 Sigma, Lean, Kaizen).

If you really want to focus on a technical skill instead of a business skill, AWS experience and certs are basically mandatory now or will be in the near future.

An A+ or similar is less than worthless for you.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 17, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CrazyLittle posted:

I've been using AWS day-to-day for a couple years now so I might as well go for the Solution Architect cert. What's your recommendation?

The LinuxAcademy.com course is good. There's an official cert guide for the associate exam but it's not great. There's no books for the Professional, but the LA course will get you well prepared. If you're already comfortable with the AWS basics you might as well go for the SA pro.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The LinuxAcademy.com course is good. There's an official cert guide for the associate exam but it's not great. There's no books for the Professional, but the LA course will get you well prepared. If you're already comfortable with the AWS basics you might as well go for the SA pro.

Isn’t the SA pro exam considered the hardest of all exams?

Doing the SA Associate is a common starter exam from what I see in my network. If you’ve been working with AWS it’s probably not too hard.

I used the A Cloud Guru course to prepare but LA is probably just as good.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LochNessMonster posted:

Isn’t the SA pro exam considered the hardest of all exams?

Doing the SA Associate is a common starter exam from what I see in my network. If you’ve been working with AWS it’s probably not too hard.

I used the A Cloud Guru course to prepare but LA is probably just as good.

Nah, the sysops exams are commonly considered the most difficult. The SA pro isn't especially hard. It is very broad and covers a lot of services, but it doesn't get very deep on the services generally. You basically just need to know a few things really well and a lot of things at the one-line-descriptor level, and understand how AWS wants you to put those things together to create an application architecture.

If you've already got hands on experience with AWS and you want to get the SA pro eventually then I'd probably just skip right to it.

The LA course is extremely thorough. The sections on IAM, Cloudfront, KMS, and the various security products in their SA Pro course we're detailed enough that I took the Security Specialization a couple of weeks after the SA pro test and passed it with minimal study.

In general the ACG courses seem a little more focused on the exams and the LA courses are more longer and more in depth. Which one you prefer is probably a matter of priorities.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

KillHour posted:

Your career path seems to be headed more towards the planing side of things than hands-on administration. Maybe look at something for project management (PMP, Scrum Master, etc.) or process improvement (6 Sigma, Lean, Kaizen).

If you really want to focus on a technical skill instead of a business skill, AWS experience and certs are basically mandatory now or will be in the near future.

An A+ or similar is less than worthless for you.

That's kinda what I thought, but it was really my only reference point that I had researched. This makes sense, thanks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

I just took this exam a few weeks ago and passed! Like others said its a mile wide and an inch deep. I bought a $10 ACloudGuru course through Udemy and did some labs on my own in free tier and that was enough for me to pass. I'd recommend that and reading up on the FAQs for S3, EC2, etc.

Crunchy Black posted:

What are you interested in day to day? It sounds like you do a bit of everything. Like others mentioned you could go the management route and focus on ITIL, Six Sigma, Project management certs.

Or if you like the day to day technical stuff start studying for CCNA if you enjoy networking, or some of the Azure certs if you want to go that route.

Its really hard to say one way or the other. No one can get certs in everything. And if they can they're either a genius with a ton of free time/money or a paper tiger with no real world experience.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have another 2 years before I need to either retake my CCNA or start for the CCNP.

The new test come out in February and I dont feel like putting in the effort required to take the three current tests before that deadline. For those who have taken these courses around a refresh whats the time frame for good new updated books to come out? My thought is that it'll be at least 6 months before good CCNP training material comes out for the new exams.

If thats all true I'm thinking that I will completely ignore CCNP in 2020 and instead focus on CISSP. For those of you who have taken that exam can you recommend any particular books? Also how hard was the nomination and vetting process for ISC2? For example I work primarily in networking and do a lot day to day with our firewalls. Would that count as relevant work experience even though its more down in the trenches work than high level management/CISSP stuff?

This exam looks like a beast and a slog and will be a major change for me, moving from the tech side to the more broad management side. That said I'm excited to learn more and I feel like a year is a healthy, if a tad bit long, time frame to take the exam.

One final note work is paying for the test and any course materials so I dont have to worry about costs to much if people have expensive recommendations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have another 2 years before I need to either retake my CCNA or start for the CCNP.

The new test come out in February and I dont feel like putting in the effort required to take the three current tests before that deadline. For those who have taken these courses around a refresh whats the time frame for good new updated books to come out? My thought is that it'll be at least 6 months before good CCNP training material comes out for the new exams.

If thats all true I'm thinking that I will completely ignore CCNP in 2020 and instead focus on CISSP. For those of you who have taken that exam can you recommend any particular books? Also how hard was the nomination and vetting process for ISC2? For example I work primarily in networking and do a lot day to day with our firewalls. Would that count as relevant work experience even though its more down in the trenches work than high level management/CISSP stuff?

This exam looks like a beast and a slog and will be a major change for me, moving from the tech side to the more broad management side. That said I'm excited to learn more and I feel like a year is a healthy, if a tad bit long, time frame to take the exam.

One final note work is paying for the test and any course materials so I dont have to worry about costs to much if people have expensive recommendations.

With the Cisco cert revamp, you no longer need a current CCNA to take the CCNP--you just need two exams. SWITCH and ROUTE have been consolidated into a single $400 exam (ENCOR), so passing ENCOR and one elective exam will qualify you for CCNP Enterprise. The electives are where TSHOOT, CCDP, and CCNP Wireless went.

Here's the OCG release schedule: http://www.ciscopress.com/promotions/new-cisco-certifications-142035
The OCG for ENCOR is currently shipping and my copy should arrive on the 2nd. The CCNA box set will be released next month. No clue if/when updated Cisco Learning Labs will be released for CCNP Enterprise.
An OCG for ENARSI is practically guaranteed to come out. If you plan on taking another elective, I would hold off a bit. I got burned by the 2014 CCNP Security revamp--they had the books up for preorder on Amazon, but half of them ended up being cancelled.

The Commonwealth
Jun 6, 2008

I could have been someone. Well, so could anyone.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I passed the CISSP earlier this year. My background is in IT audit work with no day to day or managerial information security experience. Without knowing your full story, I think you could make a good case for having experience domains 3 and 4 if they asked.

I got the nomination from ISC2 after waiting 6 weeks after the test with no vetting of myself or my supervisor. I used the official textbooks which were fine but overemphasized the need to study individual encryption standards.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Contingency posted:

With the Cisco cert revamp, you no longer need a current CCNA to take the CCNP--you just need two exams. SWITCH and ROUTE have been consolidated into a single $400 exam (ENCOR), so passing ENCOR and one elective exam will qualify you for CCNP Enterprise. The electives are where TSHOOT, CCDP, and CCNP Wireless went.

Here's the OCG release schedule: http://www.ciscopress.com/promotions/new-cisco-certifications-142035
The OCG for ENCOR is currently shipping and my copy should arrive on the 2nd. The CCNA box set will be released next month. No clue if/when updated Cisco Learning Labs will be released for CCNP Enterprise.
An OCG for ENARSI is practically guaranteed to come out. If you plan on taking another elective, I would hold off a bit. I got burned by the 2014 CCNP Security revamp--they had the books up for preorder on Amazon, but half of them ended up being cancelled.

Thanks for the info. It'll be interesting to see what the new 2 test format looks like once it comes out. I heard horror stories about the CCNA/P security tests in the past. Thats why I'd like to wait a bit and see how these new elective exams shake out.

The Commonwealth posted:

I passed the CISSP earlier this year. My background is in IT audit work with no day to day or managerial information security experience. Without knowing your full story, I think you could make a good case for having experience domains 3 and 4 if they asked.

I got the nomination from ISC2 after waiting 6 weeks after the test with no vetting of myself or my supervisor. I used the official textbooks which were fine but overemphasized the need to study individual encryption standards.

Thanks for the response. What info do they need to verify you? Is it just work references? I came across some mention of them checking facebook, linkedin, etc known of which I have. I may need to make a LinkedIn profile or throw my resume up somewhere so they have something to actually check.

The Commonwealth
Jun 6, 2008

I could have been someone. Well, so could anyone.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks for the response. What info do they need to verify you? Is it just work references? I came across some mention of them checking facebook, linkedin, etc known of which I have. I may need to make a LinkedIn profile or throw my resume up somewhere so they have something to actually check.

I gave them a screenshot of my work history and a brief description of my role. I also gave my supervisor's co tact info for a reference but I guess they ran out of time since they never contacted them. It wouldn't surprise me if they do a quick Facebook/LinkedIn check but I deleted long before taking the test.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel sheepish asking but my friends husband, (who has mental health issues) is going back to school and was talking about getting certs. I asked him a few questions about the certs and felt he didnt really understand (or maybe was it was just bad communication on both our parts).

Whats the difference between

Comptia linux+

and

Comptia network +

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ups_rail posted:

I feel sheepish asking but my friends husband, (who has mental health issues) is going back to school and was talking about getting certs. I asked him a few questions about the certs and felt he didnt really understand (or maybe was it was just bad communication on both our parts).

Whats the difference between

Comptia linux+

and

Comptia network +

Linux+ tests basic Linux commands - how to set permissions and how to use bash. It's probably great foundational knowledge honestly but I wouldn't call it a useful certification.

Network+ tests your understanding of computer networking and architecture. This is a very useful certification and probably the only valuable cert comptia has ever made.