Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
nthing KeepAss! The UX is not the best but it seems pretty bombproof from a functionality standpoint. Have used it for years and years.

Nalin posted:

Why are you using the Keepass2Android keyboard? Are you on an older version of Android? Since version 8 (Oreo), Android has had an autofill service and Keepass2Android supports it. You tap the autofill button.

Sometimes in some (badly made?) apps the autofill just doesn't show up, forcing me to use the keyboard.

Nalin posted:

Keepass2Android will say it can't find an autofill entry so you tap the "Select another entry" button, navigate to the password you want, and tell it to use that one. It will then save the app affiliation into your database.

This seems to only persist in some local cache and never get uploaded back to cloud (I use Google Drive). Whenever my phone downloads an updated database, the app associations are gone. Am I doing it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EssOEss posted:

This seems to only persist in some local cache and never get uploaded back to cloud (I use Google Drive). Whenever my phone downloads an updated database, the app associations are gone. Am I doing it wrong?

Yeah. That isn't right. Does the application itself not re-upload your database on changes? Maybe it's a problem with Google Drive or the Keepass2Android integration with it? I have my database on Dropbox and making any changes on my phone causes it to save the change back to Dropbox.

The app association is saved inside your password entry under the "Advanced" tab. It makes a new string field.

Here's my Pokemon Go association:

Field Name: KP2A_URL_1
Field Value: androidapp://com.nianticlabs.pokemongo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1202028241646690305

Wonder what that's about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Read the bottom: The garbage hashes compiled into python that would steal GPG or SSH keys of the developer using the libraries.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
[CVE-2019-14899] Inferring and hijacking VPN-tunneled TCP connections.

quote:

We have discovered a vulnerability in Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, MacOS, iOS, and Android which allows a malicious access point, or an adjacent user, to determine if a connected user is using a VPN, make positive inferences about the websites they are visiting, and determine the correct sequence and acknowledgement numbers in use, allowing the bad actor to inject data into the TCP stream. This provides everything that is needed for an attacker to hijack active connections inside the VPN tunnel.

This vulnerability works against OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2/IPSec, but has not been thoroughly tested against tor, but we believe it is not vulnerable since it operates in a SOCKS layer and includes authentication and encryption that happens in userspace. It should be noted, however, that the VPN technology used does not seem to matter and we are able to make all of our inferences even though the responses from the victim are encrypted, using the size of the packets and number of packets sent (in the case of challenge ACKs, for example) to determine what kind of packets are being sent through the encrypted VPN tunnel.

Root cause is:

quote:

sysctl.d: switch net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter from 1 to 2

This switches the RFC3704 Reverse Path filtering from Strict mode to Loose mode. The Strict mode breaks some pretty common and reasonable use cases, such as keeping connections via one default route alive after another one appears (e.g. plugging an Ethernet cable when connected via Wi-Fi).

The strict filter also makes it impossible for NetworkManager to do connectivity check on a newly arriving default route (it starts with a higher metric and is bumped lower if there's connectivity).

Kernel's default is 0 (no filter), but a Loose filter is good enough. The few use cases where a Strict mode could make sense can easily override this.

The distributions that don't care about the client use cases and prefer a strict filter could just ship a custom configuration in /usr/lib/sysctl.d/ to override this.
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/230450d4e4f1f5fc9fa4295ed9185eea5b6ea16e

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 5, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm mostly interested in it given how broad it hits, since after getting a WWAN NIC, I never use any access points but my own.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Second paragraph of the oss-sec post:

quote:

Most of the Linux distributions we tested were vulnerable, especially Linux distributions that use a version of systemd pulled after November 28th of last year which turned reverse path filtering off. However, we recently discovered that the attack also works against IPv6, so turning reverse path filtering on isn't a reasonable solution, but this was how we discovered that the attack worked on Linux.
The flaw has nothing directly to do with systemd, it just happened to flip a switch that exposed the flaw over IPv4. For some reason the systemd haters (not accusing you of being one, just maybe inadvertently getting information from one) have latched on to this one even though it also affects entirely different kernels where systemd doesn't even exist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This was the best thing on infosec twitter in a while

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

This was the best thing on infosec twitter in a while

Beautiful.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Since people here have been talking about Keepass, what browser integration is best for Windows? I've been using Kee for Firefox and Chrome, but now that they're rolling their own password service I want to know if there's anything better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Second paragraph of the oss-sec post:

The flaw has nothing directly to do with systemd, it just happened to flip a switch that exposed the flaw over IPv4. For some reason the systemd haters (not accusing you of being one, just maybe inadvertently getting information from one) have latched on to this one even though it also affects entirely different kernels where systemd doesn't even exist.

Its still trash....but I get why systemd is a thing and converted most of mine to systemd kernels now.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Since people here have been talking about Keepass, what browser integration is best for Windows? I've been using Kee for Firefox and Chrome, but now that they're rolling their own password service I want to know if there's anything better.

I use KeepassXC (it's a crossplatform fork, nothing dodgy) and its browser extension.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kassad posted:

I use KeepassXC (it's a crossplatform fork, nothing dodgy) and its browser extension.

Yeah, I use it as well because the Linux version of base Keypass technically works but it's kinda really ugly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ppentestlabs/status/1202906268991664128

(weeps for humanity)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Holy loving poo poo. This thread is gold.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Especially this. https://twitter.com/BeefOverflow/status/1202999529072521217

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, I saw at least one infosec defending their password system, and I was pretty sure that it was just a sure indicator there was worse things to find...

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I saw at least one infosec defending their password system, and I was pretty sure that it was just a sure indicator there was worse things to find...
Funny enough their database of emails is now incredibly valuable because if this is the kind of security they're teaching it'd be useful to cross-reference with company emails to know where to find similarly brain-dead security vulns.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Harik posted:

Funny enough their database of emails is now incredibly valuable because if this is the kind of security they're teaching it'd be useful to cross-reference with company emails to know where to find similarly brain-dead security vulns.

Alternatively, use it to find who to advertise better services to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Double Punctuation posted:

Alternatively, use it to find who to advertise better services to.

What makes you think those customers are interested in better services?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

To those customers, "better" is dictated by convenience, i.e. being able to get your passwords emailed back to you in plaintext.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Regarding password managers there’s a rumour Microsoft will be introducing their own one next year. I hope it’s cross platform (probably linked to OneDrive).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Interesting. If the subscription fee isn't outrageous (and expecting all the relevant features to be present), this could make for a pretty good mainstream introduction of password managers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Microsoft would be dumb not to put out their own password manager. Put it behind their SSO and fancy things like conditional access and push MFA, integrate with their admin interfaces and logging... There are a ton of companies out there who just don't have users capable of something like 1Password and IT departments and training that don't have the time. But if Microsoft makes it significantly easier for only a little less secure, I see it taking off like wild fire.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Internet Explorer posted:

I see it taking off like wild fire.

And then they'll restrict it to E5

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Microsoft would be dumb not to put out their own password manager. Put it behind their SSO and fancy things like conditional access and push MFA, integrate with their admin interfaces and logging... There are a ton of companies out there who just don't have users capable of something like 1Password and IT departments and training that don't have the time. But if Microsoft makes it significantly easier for only a little less secure, I see it taking off like wild fire.

They will definitely put it behind all their premium poo poo so the majority of their customers won't be able to afford it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's rumored to be part of their Office 365 "Life" rebranding for consumers, so it's very likely not going to be unaffordable. Of course, depends on whether you can subscribe individually or have to take the whole Office 365 package to get it (currently $10/month).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'd continue using 1pass for myself, but I'd definitely use something like this as an opportunity push password management on my organization.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

And then they'll restrict it to E5

Sickening posted:

They will definitely put it behind all their premium poo poo so the majority of their customers won't be able to afford it.

E5 just seems like a no brainer for a business to me, and I am no Microsoft fanboy. They just made MFA free for all of their customers, which is a step in the right direction. We'll see. It's not like decent password managers for business/enterprise are cheap to begin with.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

E5 just seems like a no brainer for a business to me, and I am no Microsoft fanboy. They just made MFA free for all of their customers, which is a step in the right direction. We'll see. It's not like decent password managers for business/enterprise are cheap to begin with.

Mfa without those basic custom conditional access policies isnt anything more than what you were already getting with an e3.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess that's a way to make money.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bustersolutions/buster-secure-your-devices-against-online-hackers

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Easy to profit from stickers and what looks like a sub-$1 stereo plug (with their branding, of course).

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Where do I sign up, my miicrophone is way too onpen

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

N A N O S U C T I O N T E C H N O L O G Y

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Volmarias posted:

N A N O S U C T I O N T E C H N O L O G Y

How did you find VRChat's feature roadmap

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

quote:

The stickers come in two sizes, Small (13mm) and Large (40mm). The small one fits most everyday gadgets like smartphone, tablet, laptop, smart TV etc. The larger one is designed specifically to block any hidden security cameras or to protect your professional camera against dust or water.

How does it block hidden security cameras if they’re hidden? Or do you cover yourself in stickers so the hidden cameras can’t identify you?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

beuges posted:

How does it block hidden security cameras if they’re hidden? Or do you cover yourself in stickers so the hidden cameras can’t identify you?
You silly consumer you. You're not supposed to think, just spend money so these grifters don't have to work. :allears:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

What are people's thoughts on record size limits for SPF records? A lot of documentation talks about limiting to 500 characters to stay inside the MTU so lookups don't revert to TCP mode out of concern that some systems might be UDP DNS only. But for that to be the case, wouldn't those mail systems need to be connecting over dial-up to get choked down to an MTU that small? It seems like 1400 characters is a more realistic cap given a typical 1500 mtu plus overhead for ipsec encapsulation and anything else, but the recommendations always seem to be 500. Are people just parroting a 15 year old consideration that doesn't matter any more or am I missing something?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What are people's thoughts on record size limits for SPF records? A lot of documentation talks about limiting to 500 characters to stay inside the MTU so lookups don't revert to TCP mode out of concern that some systems might be UDP DNS only. But for that to be the case, wouldn't those mail systems need to be connecting over dial-up to get choked down to an MTU that small? It seems like 1400 characters is a more realistic cap given a typical 1500 mtu plus overhead for ipsec encapsulation and anything else, but the recommendations always seem to be 500. Are people just parroting a 15 year old consideration that doesn't matter any more or am I missing something?

the only real limit is 10 lookups afaik in accordance with the rfc, i've never heard of this limitation before and it sounds really dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Well, its a limitation of DNS which is the underpinning. Beyond the 10 DNS lookup limit, there is also a limit on the number of items returned in a MX record (which I discovered with some goofy-rear end .mil mail domain who's mx record resolved to 12 mail gateways. Resolution of A records triggered from MX lookups are counted separately from the other 10 lookup limit), and you can only make the TXT records in strings of 255 characters which are encapsulated in quote and then stripped and concatenated by the SPF engine that is processing the record. The RFC is a bit loving nuts, but most of the really weird poo poo is due to limitations of DNS.

DNS prefers UDP transport mode by default but will generally refuse to return a record that is larger than your MTU because if a fragment gets lost on re-assembly while TCP would recover without having to re-run the entire query. So most DNS clients will then revert to a TCP lookup in that scenario, but that's slower due to the extra round trips so it doesn't happen by default. From an absolute technical limit, an SPF record can be up to 64k characters long which is the maximum size of a TXT record but you still have to honor the individual string length limits. The common consensus that I see is that if your lookup has to fail back to UDP you're loving up and risking causing resolution problems for some receiving mail servers, so avoid it.