Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

What makes me straight up mad to the bones about CIG was that Chris got the money. I actually want to make a great space game, I was raised on Freespace and Homeworld, I built the flight model for the original BSG total conversion, I know how to make a great space game. gently caress, ask to see the Kickstarter trailer I made.

But no. Chris Mc. Bumblefuck made all that money and squandered the hell out of the dream opportunity to make the best drat space game ever. Instead what we're getting is a mediocre FPS that's janked to poo poo and a flight model that sucks more rear end than an enema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

that's not how it works. what if a specific group of people finds out about it and i decide that i didnt want them to see it or repost it (even if it's still available publicly) after the fact?
checkmate, bud.

Depends on your legal jurisdiction, some places you're straight up boned, whereas others have laws that extend your consent over the content in question.

So, apparently I missed my chance to hit up FYAD, tell them they were all terrible and they should call their moms? Buggeration.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

saddest thing was the one backer in 2015 that sold his farm to fund some JPEG's :smith:
funniest thing was the holiday live stream. Especially the moment when sandi facepalming flashes on screen after a gently caress up that i cant remember.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Depends on your legal jurisdiction, some places you're straight up boned, whereas others have laws that extend your consent over the content in question.

So, apparently I missed my chance to hit up FYAD, tell them they were all terrible and they should call their moms? Buggeration.

Don't worry, the message was passed along.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Dark Off posted:

saddest thing was the one backer in 2015 that sold his farm to fund some JPEG's :smith:
funniest thing was the holiday live stream. Especially the moment when sandi facepalming flashes on screen after a gently caress up that i cant remember.

That was an epic day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UpYsOwlGY

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Highlight of the decade surely has to be when Crobber did the live stream where he played the game and it was clear, between the tech issues, he'd never played it before in his loving life.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Highlight of the decade surely has to be when Crobber did the live stream where he played the game and it was clear, between the tech issues, he'd never played it before in his loving life.

It was clear he'd never seen a USB port before in his life, let alone played his "game".

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Inacio posted:

that's not how it works. what if a specific group of people finds out about it and i decide that i didnt want them to see it or repost it (even if it's still available publicly) after the fact?
checkmate, bud.

Your wants and desires don't matter and have no market value. You need to check with what the law says in your specific situation to determine the best course of action.

(beaten by Hav...)

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bumble He posted:

yeah it feels like that and i am afraid it will end like this. no big bang, no grand finale.
it'll end like a wet fart...some will notice it and laugh but then its gone.

since i see star citizor as some sort of telenovela in season 8 that would be a disappointing conclusion!

after i declared the end of star citizen i stumbled across an article from everyone's favorite game magazine, german gamestar. the article is from today and its content is based on nothing more then tony z's talk during citcon. here are some snippets:

"incredible tech-demo: star citizen's economy will even simulate envy!"
"the economy will simulate human desires"
"npc pirates will not only exists but actively make the decision to become pirates."
"these simulated npcs are called 'quantas'. you will not be able to see them in-game BUT THIS IS NOT NECESSARY"
"each and every quanta will have it's desires and character traits. cleverness, ambition and happyness will decide how this quanta will live."
"Quantas will decide where they want to work or if they become pirates"
"but according to tony the quantas will not be implemented into the game anytime soon."

So what we are seeing here is an INVISIBLE feature, which can easily be faked, but which nevertheless will not be implemented into the game soon.

I imagine playing a new racing game, which is in fact a bog standard racing game BUT: the spectators around the track are "quantas" which actively decided to visit the race i am in. while another million "quantas" (which are also simulated in the background) are not at the race but do something else.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 11, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't worry, the message was passed along.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

Well that's a lovely situation that came around from your post being, like, public.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Citizens have this fantasy that Crobberts is some kind of secret coding genius gamer, that he is behind the scenes personally coding the back end between gaming sessions but the truth is he's never touched a game since the 90's, maybe before that.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Hyperlight Drifter was a very successful Kickstarter game.

We will see about Dual Universe

Space Cossack game completely vapor'd, that was sad.

Phoenix Point has had a....mediocre reception on release. It may turn out well in the long run.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Oh that's right I should call my mom.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bumble He posted:

after i declared the end of star citizen i stumbled across an article from everyone's favorite game magazine, german gamestar. the article is from today and its content is based on nothing more then tony z's talk during citcon. here are some snippets:

"incredible tech-demo: star citizen's economy will even simulate envy!"
"the economy will simulate human desires"
"npc pirates will not only exists but actively make the decision to become pirates."
"these simulated npcs are called 'quantas'. you will not be able to see them in-game BUT THIS IS NOT NECESSARY"
"each and every quanta will have it's desires and character traits. cleverness, ambition and happyness will decide how this quanta will live."
"Quantas will decide where they want to work or if they become pirates"
"but according to tony the quantas will not be implemented into the game anytime soon."

Quanta is a dumb name for an 'Agent'.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

Quanta is a dumb name for an 'Agent'.

i just watched tony's presentation. there is a lot of funny stuff in there.

one time he talks about a quanta that opens a factory and treats his workers badly. (because of the quantas personality mix)
then he places a mine on some planet with millions of unemployed quantas.
nothing happens. they are still unemployed.
tony: “well thats because there is no refinery here hehe“
applause from the audience.
he places a refinary and the quantas now all have a job.
tony, why did non of your million fully simulated quantas open a goddam refinary?
beforehand you told us they are basically completely simulated human beings (which are not visible to the human player by the way.)

when chris annnounced the 10 to 1 human/npc ratio it was advertised as completely rendered npcs which you could follow through their daily routine if you wished. in 2019 tony says that its much better to simulate them in the background. it really is doublethink a la george orwell.

the comments beneath are full of praise like “this will revolutionize how npcs act in videogames“
totally ignoring the fact that these are NOT npcs but quantas (which is another hype term for nothing)

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 11, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Also everyone kept saying "he's applying quantum physics to SC's economy!!!!" because he used that term which is lol

Quanta is just the plural of quantum which just means an entity involved in an interaction, using that term means nothing more than using the term NPC or "interacting NPCs".

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

quote:

I can tell him as someone who only have the Aurora, you should be happy cause you will play EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the game without skipping any part. To me personally i think having more ships means you are skipping some chapters "grinding to others" of the SC game. I want to earn every ship, armor and weapon with in game money. so much im willing to completely destroy my Aurora at day one of the live patch and wire all my money to a random player just to start from ABSOLUTE ZERO UEC and grind "play" my way up to a Javelin.. But hey thats just me :)

So how does he manage that, or will the SC servers be online for the next 30 years = confirmed? Thats developement time included.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Quanta is way more flashy a term than "line in a spreadsheet"

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Kikas posted:

so tell me thread, what is your favourite Star Citizen moment of the decade? Can be a high point in anything, legit hype, actual progress or uh, you know, the most scummy move or the stupidest decision ever.

There are so many it's difficult to choose. But I'll pick up the one that made me laugh so much I thought I could pass out. In fact, every time I watch it I burst out laughing. The infamous "ramp" incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=6189s

This is absolute perfection. The desperation in the voice when she says "noooooo". The glitches and flickering happening on screen at the same time. Only to reveal the disaster. It's priceless and a perfect summary of what Star Citizen is, still today.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nyast posted:

This is absolute perfection. The desperation in the voice when she says "noooooo". The glitches and flickering happening on screen at the same time. Only to reveal the disaster. It's priceless and a perfect summary of what Star Citizen is, still today.

don't forget the cheering afterwards. :trustme:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also everyone kept saying "he's applying quantum physics to SC's economy!!!!" because he used that term which is lol

Quanta is just the plural of quantum which just means an entity involved in an interaction, using that term means nothing more than using the term NPC or "interacting NPCs".

yeah i read that to. everyone agreed that he must be a genius because “he applies quantum physics to something“
but i guess these are the kind of people you want to milk real good.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Oh, hey Chris, Underworld Ascendant that you recommended us! Almost forgot that!

https://twitter.com/croberts68/status/564710597518831616

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Nyast posted:

There are so many it's difficult to choose. But I'll pick up the one that made me laugh so much I thought I could pass out. In fact, every time I watch it I burst out laughing. The infamous "ramp" incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=6189s

From same video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=4084s

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Oh it was released!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Oh...okay. Thanks Chris. Failed game, suggested to back from a failed dev lol

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Yeah, I have backed Underworld Ascendant. I can confirm it's as bad as you imagine.

It's however still better than Star Citizen. At least, that game got released.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The was also the moment that "Derek Smart was right" about .... Sandi Gardiner was Chris Roberts wife, which they had never openly admitted and when he proceeded to prove it, they did a 180 and where all "What do you mean, we have always been honest and open about that" having, never for 3 years of taking pledges, made that public.

Was Sandi in the SQ42 cast before they where open about their relationship?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bumble He posted:

i just watched tony's presentation. there is a lot of funny stuff in there.

one time he talks about a quanta that opens a factory and treats his workers badly. (because of the quantas personality mix)
then he places a mine on some planet with millions of unemployed quantas.
nothing happens. they are still unemployed.
tony: “well thats because there is no refinery here hehe“
he places a refinary and the quantas now all have a job.
tony, why did non of your million fully simulated quantas open a goddam refinary?
beforehand you told us they are basically completely simulated human beings (which are not visible to the human player by the way.)

when chris annnounced the 10 to 1 human/npc ratio it was advertised as completely rendered npcs which you could follow through their daily routine if you wished. in 2019 tony says that its much better to simulate them in the background. it really is doublethink a la george orwell.

the comments beneath are full of praise like “this will revolutionize how npcs act in videogames“
totally ignoring the fact that these are NOT npcs but quantas (which is another hype term for nothing)

It was always my impression that SC had the intention to follow the true and tested Mario Kart approach: When a player is not around the NPCs just follow some basic AI of the kind citizens are currently creaming themselves over.

Only when a player is close would they switch to subsumption or whatever to be indistinguishable from a real person who drops a banana peel just in front of you.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Bumble He posted:

yeah i read that to. everyone agreed that he must be a genius because “he applies quantum physics to something“
but i guess these are the kind of people you want to milk real good.

This. There are real whales swimming in real oceans getting confused by propeller noises and beaching themselves on real shorelines that are less stupid than the idiots who suck up what Tony Z says as something profound and meaningful, and not just the crazed ramblings of some burned out winging it stoner dude with a back story in game production who Chris brought in because no one else would work with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t36=&v=8dL3nrrj2ZA

I would urge you to check the above video out if you haven't already seen it. In it, 2014 Chris chats to Tony Z by basically not letting him get a word in edgeways, talks about "Loose Cannon" ("everything that GTA3 and above was, long before they were, looking better than it was...") and so much more. It is just loving hilarious - the absolute pinnacle of Crobbers' hubris, and a sharp sharp contrast to the subdued figure who closed out CitizenCon 2019.

What a difference five years makes, friends.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is there some explanation for those photoshops or do they just speak for themselves

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Some of us are more fortunate than others...some in the community need to realise that fact.

I'll preface this by saying on the whole the SC community is amazing, I always see people in global/spectrum and reddit eager to help, share info and time with those new to the game. I fully acknowledge probably 90% of people reading this aren't part of this problem and i'm glad we have you. BUT I will say there have been a few moments lately where I've really become shocked at how others are treated or spoken to and here's an example.

I was flying around the other day and see a new guy in global, he's asking where he is,, how to call his ship, all's going well until a random guy jumped in and then it went from great to, awful Heres how it went:

RG - Random Guy NG - New Guy

NG upon getting to his hangar " There she is! I can actually see my ship, she's a beauty? How do i get in?"

RG: "What ship is it?

NG: " I think Aurora something, it is BIG"

RG: "Lol you're calling an Aurora beautiful? it's probably the ugliest ship in the game"

NG: "I like it, how can I make some good Money?"

RG:" In that thing? No chance, get a better ship"

NG :"Oh my ship is not good then? :( it is cheapest i could afford, I bought wrong thing?"

....and that is where my heart just broke, no ship is poo poo, no one should be feel their purchase wasn't enough to enjoy this game we all love so much. There is never a need to poo poo on someone's ship choice and especially so when they're new and in awe of the SC universe. Just NO.

I did what I could and made a up mission for him (Hey NG I need someone with a small ship on a highly covert mission who wont attract attention) and we had a good time, i sent him 100k and showed him the ropes, he didn't seem too put off after I explained what he could do (delivery. bounties etc)

Not everyone can buy themselves into all gameplay loops or get the best ships, and the vast majority of you i KNOW understand that. If you are someone who's previously spoken like this please consider how off putting it could be to a game we love and how it is never appropriate.

And if you're someone who has seen this kind of talk but don't instigate, then maybe pipe up in chat, help the guy out, tell him the benefits of his new ship and make them feel welcome. Thanks! :)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is there some explanation for those photoshops or do they just speak for themselves

Yeah, Adz Adama's not a fan of the Carrack rework and the new(ish) flight model - I guess.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You have to process Adz Adama works as if they are extracts from a dream journal.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yeah, Adz Adama's not a fan of the Carrack rework and the new(ish) flight model - I guess.

No, I mean, like, in general, what the gently caress?

Like... Is it a joke? Does the creator explain them? Where are they posted? How do citizens react to them?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Okay but the Aurora actually is poo poo though.

And I don't have a single favorite moment from all of SC but my favorite moment from that specific video is the slideshow Idris fight that ends with them bonking into each other like toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo&t=7555s

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The later.

At least the artist has yet to discover that astroboy has rear end-mounted machineguns

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Like... Is it a joke? Does the creator explain them? Where are they posted? How do citizens react to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6e29em_0-g

He's an interesting fella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Art should speak for itself there is no need for explanations. They are posted at the spectrum forums (obviously). Citizen reaction is perplexed for the most part.