Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

sorry if my attempts at making sure i'm not probated for a week because of some lurker cop with their finger over the report button makes you have to read the letters jbp more often than you would like

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Honestly, what percentage of the population straight up doesn't have a sense of empathy? It's gotta be at least 10-20%

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Honestly, what percentage of the population straight up doesn't have a sense of empathy? It's gotta be at least 10-20%

probably have to factor in income/suburb

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

He's a good guy on a personal level, just you know lovely boomer views.

Think again.

Closer to 50%. At a minimum.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
may the lurker cop please announce themselves. we will make you welcome

belljar and everyone please keep in mind that jbp is wildly and unashamedly racist, it doesn't negate his usefulness on other matters but it is something we must all try to remember. so he deserves the occasional punishment, even if it's undeserved, just as like a karmic thing

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

jbp is on involuntary forums strike and saying bad things about him is effectively crossing a picket line

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

how many of these people do you reckon were giving the xr protestors poo poo a couple months ago? 70%?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

I try my best

we know - without bill you, we would be lost

fauna posted:

belljar and everyone please keep in mind that jbp is wildly and unashamedly racist, it doesn't negate his usefulness on other matters but it is something we must all try to remember. so he deserves the occasional punishment, even if it's undeserved, just as like a karmic thing

as a seddon aspirationalist let's also not forget his views on melbourne's north eastern suburbs

bell jar posted:

jbp is on involuntary forums strike and saying bad things about him is effectively crossing a picket line

in three days jbp will rise again

bell jar posted:

how many of these people do you reckon were giving the xr protestors poo poo a couple months ago? 70%?

haven't been able to keep 'the sheep look up' out of my head since then

Nonstandard nerd
Dec 11, 2019

hambeet posted:

the Victorian emergency app seems okay, but I've never had to rely on it like cartoon would have needed.

like I've seen smoke pop up a few hills over and the app notify me straight away. Last summer when we had more fires around it would give different levels of warning relating to fires and they'd redraw geographically boundaries on the fly and people would get notification and updates from advice, to watch and act alerts, etc.

I'm semi rural where I am, just inside a bushfire zone. Dunno if anyone here has had any further furthermore experiences in vic with its emergency app?
Their website (http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/) seems pretty nice (nicer than SA and NSW) in terms of being able to tell where an incident is and where a warning area is, and I think they let you define an area on the map and they'll send you any alerts that affect that area. I haven't actually used that feature or the app though and I have no idea how good they are at actually updating the site with incidents.

Cartoon posted:

The fire took out all the local landlines
Yeah that's why we're meant to rely on ABC radio :suicide: I think the SA CFS website listed which radio stations to listen to, maybe next time I'll try some other station and see if they're any more reliable. I assume a commercial station is even less likely to take it seriously though.

quote:

Get back to me when YOU figure out where Kempsey Rd. might be.
It looks like Armidale Road becomes Kempsey Road somewhere like 100km from the Pacific Highway so maybe they meant Armidale Road? :shrug: I know I'd loving love to be trying to decode someone's dumb errors when I'm trying to make potentially life or death decisions.

quote:

Thoughts and prayers.
Where do we register for these? Are they means tested?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

which probe avoiding alt are you

alternately: welcome :confuoot:

bell jar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 11, 2019

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cartoon posted:

I forgot to mention. The fire took out all the local landlines and there is no mobile coverage on my side of the valley. The fire was watch and act and there had been some completely scatter gun general txt warnings. I received on 7/11 at 9:37 pm (AKA no way to get said message until after I left home at ~ 8 am on the 8th. "NSWRFS - Multiple fires in area. Potential threat to homes Nth of Oxley Hwy, South of Kempsey Rd & West of Pacific Hwy. Check https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au or 1800679737"

Get back to me when YOU figure out where Kempsey Rd. might be. None the less, nothing in the above especially https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au gave the slightest clue as to where the threat might have been to people in the upper Collombatti.

How exactly are they supposed to update the fire location to this seemingly exacting standard? Don't some of these fires move at a 100k an hour and by the time someone sees it, tells someone, updates a map and puts it up, it could be a dozen kilometres away?

(I do not live in a place that this will impact, so I don't understand what you expect?)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
One thing I’ve noticed about the RFS app is a tendency to get the details of small towns / hamlets wrong and never correct those mistakes, ever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Watching JBP post is like watching the beginning of The Way of the Dragon where every character hates him.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Watching JBP post is like watching the beginning of The Way of the Dragon where every character hates him.

more like everyone's unease at the mandalorian where you are our baby yoda

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

As in non-politically he's a nice man who helps a lot and is fun to talk poo poo with.

fauna posted:

I have reported people in this thread before, but not JBP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
While he's at times infuriating, he's far from the biggest dickhead in this thread.

Sometimes he even manages to contribute.

That said, that probie was 100% valid, but because this thread is largely an unpoliced shithole, and some posters ITT have grown accustomed to that, hence the disbelief at a multi-dayer over a post that would have never flown anywhere else on this dead gay internet comedy forum.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Comstar posted:

How exactly are they supposed to update the fire location to this seemingly exacting standard? Don't some of these fires move at a 100k an hour and by the time someone sees it, tells someone, updates a map and puts it up, it could be a dozen kilometres away?

(I do not live in a place that this will impact, so I don't understand what you expect?)
Fires move in predictable ways. They go in the direction of the prevailing wind. Once a fire hits the sort of high speeds you mention (100 kph) it is almost certainly known where it is about to impact. The people fighting these fires know this to a high degree of certainty. They are using this information to place assets and direct their own people away from danger. Even so it takes time for a fire to travel 50 kilometres (half an hour if the speed was actually 100 kph, which it wasn't). Spotting ahead of fires makes speed determinations a bit more complicated but they don't go faster than prevailing winds until they are creating their own weather. I honestly do not know whether that fire was such a fire but the person I spoke to who was fighting it didn't suggest it was.

The RFS site is given as the place to look for information. At no point on Friday during daylight hours was the Carrie East fire listed beyond Watch and Act. It was also not shown to be anywhere North of the Macleay river Yet it managed to burn through the village of Willawarrin and virtually to my door step BEFORE the first emergency broadcast (Txt was made.). This Txt gives no indication that the fire was anywhere North of the River, The Oxley Highway is in the opposite direction.

By Tuesday they were actually issuing prediction maps. That would indicate to me that somebody realised how badly they had performed on Friday. Because people actually died there will be a coronial inquiry and more details will come out.

I was on 'alert' because the day had been rated at catastrophic as early as Wednesday before. I took precautions and was probably more closely monitoring information because I intended to drive South into an area where there were known active fires.

I 'expect' to be given a reasonable indication of the risk I face on a given day. If I am actively seeking information from the channels that emergency services are directing me to use I 'expect' to be in a position to make a 'leave early' decision based on timely information. They may not be reasonable expectations anymore. The ABC certainly do not have the local resources to be acting as an information conduit and the RFS are probably in a similar situation. Coordination is supposted to be, you know, coordinated. It sticks in my craw when people say everything is being done and they have every confidence in the emergency management measures and resources in place. They sure as gently caress did not work on that Friday. They could have done better. Whether it would meet my 'exacting standard' I don't know. Given how little notice is taken of Royal Commission findings I guess I can't 'expect' anything better then we got on Friday the 8th of November.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-14/nsw-fires-death-toll-rises-after-fourth-body-found/11703328

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 11, 2019

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Don Dongington posted:

While he's at times infuriating, he's far from the biggest dickhead in this thread.

That said, that probie was 100% valid, but because this thread is largely an unpoliced shithole, and some posters ITT have grown accustomed to that, hence the disbelief at a multi-dayer over a post that would have never flown anywhere else on this dead gay internet comedy forum.

A week was probably excessive, in my mind, especially for a joke about something that actually happened. He's faced a greater punishment than the lovely police officers he was mocking, which is just lol. Other threads and subforums absolutely say worse with no punishment, like FYAD and GBS (unless you say that word).

E: oh hey Amethyst was banned too.

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

JBP is an hedonic philosopher king who posts in the most obtuse way possible at all times.

This plays in my head whenever I read a post of his or the replies.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Whitlam posted:

E: oh hey Amethyst was banned too.

If you say ‘good comedy punches up’ itt enough times he’ll be back

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It was ironic transphobia, sorry you just don’t get it

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'll make sure I avoid doing that, then.

:razz:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Wow I only really look at a few threads scattered around the forums. What massive drama have I missed?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

check out the sa forums saga thread in pyf, or the lepers colony

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheezle posted:

Wow I only really look at a few threads scattered around the forums. What massive drama have I missed?

FYAD decided that transphobia was the hill it wanted to die on.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

bell jar posted:

check out the sa forums saga thread in pyf, or the lepers colony

Or QCS, which has become one of my new favourite places.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Every morning I full palm slam trashfuture and boonta vista onto the radio.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
cultural victory

also have some hope that maybe people in the UK will vote to gently caress over BoJo but i suppose that isn't happening because we are still on the worst timeline

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Recoome posted:

cultural victory

also have some hope that maybe people in the UK will vote to gently caress over BoJo but i suppose that isn't happening because we are still on the worst timeline

Zero chance

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*tries to inject you with hope but the needle bends against your skin*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Look at it this way: if the uk elects an actual progressive government then the usa will undermine and then crush it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Only bad things can happen. The worst imaginable situation won't happen. It'll actually be worse than that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Recoome posted:

cultural victory

Just LOL at having hope in this hellworld.

The suffering will be over soon. If the smoke dont get you, the fires will soon enough

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Most likely: Tory majority. Turbo-Brexit and continued cuts.

Possible: Tory minority government with Lib Dems, I think in this scenario a second ref might happen, continued cuts.

Unlikely: Labour gets majority government. Second Brexit referendum, big boosts to NHS, some backbenchers rebel against Corbyns other plans and he is out before or at the next election.

Never happen: Labour minority government. Lib Dems are just Tories with better PR.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Come on guys, cheer up.

Anthony Albanese will release a vision statement showing us the way any moment now.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Senor Tron posted:

Most likely: Tory majority. Turbo-Brexit and continued cuts.

Possible: Tory minority government with Lib Dems, I think in this scenario a second ref might happen, continued cuts.

Unlikely: Labour gets majority government. Second Brexit referendum, big boosts to NHS, some backbenchers rebel against Corbyns other plans and he is out before or at the next election.

Never happen: Labour minority government. Lib Dems are just Tories with better PR.

Yeah this is the truth

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Was this written by the Micalleff team?

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/the-fires-have-not-started-due-to-climate-change/11791398

quote:

Matt Canavan: 'The fires have not started due to climate change'' - On RN Breakfast with Hamish Macdonald

The Morrison Government is committing $11 million in funding to boost aerial firefighting across the country. The announcement comes after the Government sustained repeated attacks this week over its alleged inaction while hundreds of bushfires continue to burn across the east coast. Former Fire and Rescue NSW commissioner Greg Mullins has welcomed the announcement but says more needs to be done.

Guest: Matt Canavan, Minister for Resources and Northern Australia

Now before Clown Carvan realised he'd said the quiet part out loud he specified that farmers needed to have greater ability to start fires and that the states were raising the spectre of climate change to prevent hazard reduction. "The fires were started by some silly people doing stupid things'. So obviously allowing farmers rather than fire professionals light fires is the answer. It feels like I'm drowning in a sea of dumb.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cartoon posted:

Was this written by the Micalleff team?

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/the-fires-have-not-started-due-to-climate-change/11791398

Now before Clown Carvan realised he'd said the quiet part out loud he specified that farmers needed to have greater ability to start fires and that the states were raising the spectre of climate change to prevent hazard reduction. "The fires were started by some silly people doing stupid things'. So obviously allowing farmers rather than fire professionals light fires is the answer. It feels like I'm drowning in a sea of dumb.

lol $11 million, they probably spend more on props for question time.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

lol $11 million, they probably spend more on props for question time.

At least now we know what air fare numbers Angus Taylor had Clover Moore confused with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Anidav posted:

Come on guys, cheer up.

Anthony Albanese will release a vision statement showing us the way any moment now.

Srspost : It's drat hard to be cheerful when there's a fire thats larger than Sydney to to the north of home, the Jamison is burning away and most of south flank of the national park is currently doing it's damnest to copy it's northern fire bro in size, meaning we're all choking on smoke for a month, the ribbon of suburbs along the Great Western Highway are working out no matter which way the wind blows there's a fire coming, all the meantime the politicans have their heads jammed solidly up their loving rear end about the scope of the disaster and the cause as well as there's not a hope for the kind of rain that will save what's left of the forests between Gospers Mountain fire complex, the Green Wattle Creek fire complex AND the Ruined Castle fire before the end of January.

Yeah it was good to see the wave of pissed off people at Town Hall yesterday and it was fun to yell and stamp feet while having a face mask on. But Gladys and Scummo AND Albo are about the worst leaders you could be cursed with in this actual climate change disaster.

At least my wife (who is Canadian) will be here over Christmas so I have that at least. Dunno what the gently caress she's gonna make of the hellscape when she gets here tho