Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

A lot of people don't understand that an elite education and career path are both designed to inculcate you with ruling class ideology, which is completely alien to what anybody you know or would meet on the street think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.

Taintrunner posted:

Abby Martin does not work at Giant Bomb.

That would be sick, though. She'd be a good influence on Liberal Abby.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

isnt u of c basically an elite education tho. i mean its not harvard in the future plutocrat meter but its almost an ivy right?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eggplant Squire has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Mar 3, 2020

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Serious question, why is Greta Thunberg so popular? Is she just a really good speaker?

she's a demonstration of performative repentance

"oh, look how serious we are, we're letting a little girl scold us. what's that? no, no, we're not actually going to do anything and of course she doesn't have any power, that's why we're letting her do this!"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol remember when they published a bunch of journal entries that bernie made 30 years ago where he was talking about how sad he was that his life wasn't going like he wanted and he felt like he wasn't able to be a good enough dad to his kid or make things work out with jane, with the idea being that this all made him look bad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

isnt u of c basically an elite education tho. i mean its not harvard in the future plutocrat meter but its almost an ivy right?

It's a private college so it's best to err on it should be immediately destroyed.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pete Buttigieg (37)
- Harvard Grad / Rhodes Scholar
- McKinsey Consultant
- Intelligence Officer US Navy Reserve
- Deployed Afghanistan
- Mayor of South Bend

Bernie Sanders (before age 40)
- UChicago grad
- Unemployed
- Dad at 29
- made a few filmstrips

Me (younger than 37)
-Highly employed
-Three-figure intelligence quotient
-Thousands upon thousands of political postings on a big-name international public forum
-Decades of training with cutting edge military simulations

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

For many purposes it's as elite and is (considerably) more conservative than Harvard, ironically.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Already at of 500 lol. Thatsa lotta succ!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

lol remember when they published a bunch of journal entries that bernie made 30 years ago where he was talking about how sad he was that his life wasn't going like he wanted and he felt like he wasn't able to be a good enough dad to his kid or make things work out with jane, with the idea being that this all made him look bad

also clips from that public access show he did

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

really disappointed bernie lives in the city that invented coat stores and yet, only has one coat

That's Burlington, NJ you gently caress!!!!!!!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Radish posted:

They are so isolated into their bubbles of people that have literally no idea how life is like for 95% of the country they don't understand how someone could find a mercenary psycho like Pete to be off putting. I think decades ago there might have been people that understood that they were "better" but still able to sell the idea that they understood the troubles of the average person. However like how the Republicans now are true believers in all of the Fox News bullshit, the modern Democratic insider grew up overdosing on NPR or whatever and really believes that everyone loves how everything works now and that Democratic leaders with their clean cut and manicured histories free of any real struggle are clearly inspirational leaders.

bill clinton was from arkansas, had an accent and grew up in a poor family so he could mostly pretend to be an actual person despite having been turned into an elite psycho through education and being a lawyer, a profession designed to replace empathy with property code. and he was running against h.w., who was as patrician as they get.

buttigieg otoh doesnt have that, which is why he has to play up the small town mayor thing a lot

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bushido Brown posted:

For many purposes it's as elite and is (considerably) more conservative than Harvard, ironically.

i guess the good news is bernie did bad at uchicago and barely graduated because he was busy with political activism

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
U of C is probably the most prestigious university for History majors for whatever that's worth. (Nothing. History is a dying loving major and has been for decades)

e: Berkeley fanboys fuckoff and die, if you were worth anything YOU'D have the Achaemanid records moldering in your basement

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Dec 11, 2019

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Mayor Sanders: My house looks like poo poo, no one ever visits me, I can't do what I thought I could do, I never vacation, I don't know how I'm doing, I don't even know who I am anymore

Media: Now THIS will make him look bad! If people don't turn on him now, we've got footage of him talking to mall goths and actually listening to them and their concerns

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Grondoth posted:

Mayor Sanders: My house looks like poo poo, no one ever visits me, I can't do what I thought I could do, I never vacation, I don't know how I'm doing, I don't even know who I am anymore

Media: Now THIS will make him look bad! If people don't turn on him now, we've got footage of him talking to mall goths and actually listening to them and their concerns

how does bernie get more relatable every day?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

how does bernie get more relatable every day?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/05/bernie-sanders-brutally-honest-mayoral-memos/ posted:

Part of Sanders’ anxiety about his future may have been due to his finances. Though his recent bestselling books have made him a millionaire, he spent his twenties and thirties barely making ends meet. Before becoming mayor, he had been a freelance writer and had run an educational film company out of his car. Getting elected to public office meant the first steady paycheck of his adult life. As a divorced dad with a job that wouldn’t last forever, money was still tight, and his son, Levi, would soon be heading off to college. Included among Sanders’ papers at the University of Vermont are bank statements, an overdue gas bill, and a letter from an acquaintance asking Sanders to pay back $250 he had borrowed seven years earlier.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Dec 11, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Included among Sanders’ papers at the University of Vermont are bank statements, an overdue gas bill, and a letter from an acquaintance asking Sanders to pay back $250 he had borrowed seven years earlier.

The best Bernie story still had to be the time he ran a extension cord into his landlord's apartment basement to steal electricity.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/m_mendozaferrer/status/1204772711882514437

hm, this is an excellent point, do we really want to nominate someone who didn't go to an ivy league school and had children at a normal age

(she made a whole loving thread of this poo poo)

Also Mayor Pete used his god tier smug education for things like manipulating white bread cartel prices or working with insurance companies to gently caress over their customers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Radish posted:

The fact these media idiots never stop being dumbfounded when no one cares about their hot takes Bernie was poor thirty years ago when whatever Wunderkind they are pushing had a job at Evil LLC lined up before they even left grad school is always hilarious.

I think Trump is also a nation equivalent joke of when you let silver spoon kids with Business/Economics degrees run things.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/m_mendozaferrer/status/1204772711882514437

hm, this is an excellent point, do we really want to nominate someone who didn't go to an ivy league school and had children at a normal age

(she made a whole loving thread of this poo poo)

But whats their MMR?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

docbeard posted:

My head is...a splitting...THE SICKNESS, IT CONTINUES

Legal Opposition from Succ - The Lanyardic Opera

(Int. Nancy, the Speaker of the House, but also the Succ Woman, sits alone in her office, worried about the missing Shilo, her eyes closed as whispers surround her.)

Ghostly Whispers: Obstructor...Do Nothing...Applauder... (repeats)
...Nancy

Nancy: Where did our voter go
It's me she must escape
My burdens I can't erase
My weakness I characterize

Ghostly Whispers: Obstructor...Do Nothing...Applauder...

Nancy: Barry, I need you now.
Look what I've become.
The nightmare that she should fear
Is the Speaker you've left alone

Nancy: The years roll by without you, Barry
Three of them have come and gone
I've raised our voter with the best intentions
But there is something I can't tell her
I am lost without you here!
I am only living out a lie!

Shilo can never leave!
She is my sole support!
Nothing can bring you back!
Shilo is all I have!

Nancy: The years roll by without you, Barry
Three of them have come and gone
I've raised our voter with the best intentions
But there is something I can't tell her
I am lost without you here!
I am only living out a lie!

Ghostly Whispers: OBSTRUCTION! OBSTRUCTION! OBSTRUCTION!

Nancy, shadows crossing her as she stands:
I'm the monster!
I'm the villain!
What perfection!
What precision!
Sincere applausement, I deliver!
Weak impeachment, I deliver!
Controlled appeasement, I deliver!
I'm the Succ, Legal Opposition!

i appreciate this

u get +1 internet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also the master/Phd math weirdo who instead of using their unique weird knowledge to cure things like cancer.

Work for the FIRE sector doing things like manipulating derivative prices, helping Wall Street to evade taxes and other finance crimes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

hey has anyone posted this itt? it’s loving great.

the embodiment of gay rights

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

etalian posted:

Also the master/Phd math weirdo who instead of using their unique weird knowledge to cure things like cancer.

Work for the FIRE sector doing things like manipulating derivative prices, helping Wall Street to evade taxes and other finance crimes.

the pay for curing cancer is really, really, bad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yes but for the elite the only schools that matter are harvard, princeton, yale, and maybe stanford

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

yes but for the elite the only schools that matter are harvard, princeton, yale, and maybe stanford

Penn counts for some purposes (Wharton)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
why is history as an academic field dying?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

unwantedplatypus posted:

because history ended in 1997

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

unwantedplatypus posted:

because the only jobs in it are teaching at various education levels and there’s infinitely more history majors than. jobs

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I have been looking for a history teaching job in the Bay Area for three years now

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

because history ended in 1997

*stares at history degree, and back at this post* francis hosed me up

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

in America we let coaches teach history

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

best use of a history degree is making a podcast

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Agean90 posted:

best use of a history degree is making a podcast

I am so loving tempted

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
gimme the buttman and fix my bread
the only black cop in south bend's dead
he passed awaaaayyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

unwantedplatypus posted:

history isn't real