Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dragonshardz posted:

CreativeDEX just released a set of premade highway ramps on the workshop. They're pretty great!

Anything that doesn't require a bunch of mods? I can hardly keep track of stuff as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I have been interested in S:C for a while and decided to grab the Deluxe version (+ Industries, after lurking this thread and reading a few other reviews praising it). Had a very underwhelming start where I built a coal power plant instead of wind, which wiped out most my starting funds, backed myself into a corner with a made a poorly-planned highway connection, then had trouble with the water pump connections and gave up.

Came back to it this weekend and got it sorted and whoops there goes 12 hours. :kiddo: The lack of autosave is a killer though, I lost almost half of that progress when I accidentally bumped the power cord with my knee. I try to remember to save at every milestone now. I get what people say about it not really being challenging/being a traffic management sim... but I am really liking it despite being a bit offput by those descriptions. It's a bit like tending a garden mixed with urban planning (something I'm randomly interested in) - takes me back to playing SimCity 2000 as a kid. Love the soundtrack - bit of a mix of Philip Glass and Star Trek: The Next Generation, feels perfect.
  • I find the choice of roads overwhelming - it seems like you generally want to do one-way roads for most streets (aside from quieter ones with no outlet) to avoid the worst of congestion. Could anyone give me a basic rundown with tips beyond the game's description of the most useful ones? Any stinkers/road types that don't offer advantages if you can afford a higher tier?

• In my starting area/main city I've got a semi-regular grid of mostly one-way, two lane roads (with trees). Overall, after some surgery on my starting roundabout and re-routing of a few roads, traffic's not a problem right now, but I'm starting more in-fill of high density residental and commercial so naturally demand on transportaiton infrastructure will increase. I have built a metro to that end (people seemed to hate the bus) which looks to have pretty decent take-up, but I'm just kind of guessing as far as how to space the stations out. What do cims consider a reasonable walking distance?

• I made a new satillite town/district across the river with a university, offices, etc and am trying to discourage car use as much as I can. My cims refused to ride the bus - maybe the distance wasn't long enough, or maybe they're just arrogant yuppies, I dunno. I replaced it with a monorail (in progress) so hopefully ridership will increase as the community expands from the 3-4 blocks it occupies now. I've put in two-lane roads with bike lanes but this feels like a mistake - 4 lanes is pretty car friendly and I don't seem to see many cyclists using them - there is a fair bit of foot traffic though. It's connected to the main highway but I've also linked it by train/metro, the latter of which seems very popular.

• There's an island in the map that I've annexed, which I'm starting to turn into a tourism district just for fun. Similar to the one above, it's got an anti-car design ethos with no bridge (does have a one-way loop around the island just so I can place buildings), so people arrive by metro or ferry. However, it seems the radius for most of the things gets wasted on the water - have a feeling I'm much better off putting it closer to the city. True?

• I'd like to stick with vanilla for a while (may get a few QoL ones like the auto bulldoze), but would be interested in recommendations for mods that offer more options for pedestrian/bicycle traffic - bridges/underpasses would be great. Probably some other stuff too like general policies, etc but want to learn the base game for now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You really need mods if you want to truly discourage car use, or do anything particularly interesting with the game IMO because it's very simplistic and easy once you understand it. But it does become a very nice model city lego game after that.

If you want to keep the game vanilla ish I'd proabbly suggest the realistic population mod and the real time mod, both of which serve to make the game a lot more interesting mechanically.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1420955187

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Also the consumption mod to supplement realistic population:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=654707599

This should make your dense areas really dense, allow you to almost wipe out cars if you use district policies to control through traffic and provide lots of bike/transit options, and generally just make the game more interesting to play and simulate. Combine those together and you'll notice very different usages at different times of day, much bigger public transport use (especially if you make it free) and generally just make the traffic management aspect more interesting.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Came back to it this weekend and got it sorted and whoops there goes 12 hours. :kiddo: The lack of autosave is a killer though, I lost almost half of that progress when I accidentally bumped the power cord with my knee.

But the game does have autosave? I guess it's not enabled by default. Check options.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The lack of autosave is a killer though, I lost almost half of that progress when I accidentally bumped the power cord with my knee. I try to remember to save at every milestone now.

There's an autosave you can turn in the gameplay options.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anything that doesn't require a bunch of mods? I can hardly keep track of stuff as it is.

Hahahahahahahahahaha no. Everything good and remotely realistic in this game needs mods.

Here is the collection for the realistic ramp set, though: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1890983177

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The mods are not hard though. If you're thinking SimCity and dependancies, FEAR NOT. Most poo poo is easy peasy steam workshop sqweezy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It me, ya boy Corbusier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 17, 2019

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Shouldn't there be an announcement on a new expansion pack soon? I love when new packs drop, the n-1 pack goes on sale and I want to make a college town on the cheap.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Booted up the game a bit again today. Got the industries and campus DLC's in the sale so put some more warehousing down, and built a football stadium, plus a couple of photos to show the overall picture so far.

And heres what 150+ hours gets you

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vaguely related; someone on the CSL subreddit having an extremely normal day attacking random strangers on a post about a poo volcano:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

dragonshardz posted:

Vaguely related; someone on the CSL subreddit having an extremely normal day attacking random strangers on a post about a poo volcano:

There's great irony in the username "The Extrovert" when he freaks out when people are using the word "Obviously".

Which is ironically very obvious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've refound my inspiration playing this game. Did a bit more and even had a go at an interchange which is something i've not really done very well in the past and never really been happy with. I got half of it done and detailed today, I might leave the 2nd half for a bit and go do some other stuff before coming back to it though.

I'm having trouble finding the right sign assets to use though, there's not very many UK road signs on the workshop. I might have to bite the bullet and make my own.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I don't want to feel useless itt so I will share this if no one has before.

Interesting reading if you are too much into C:S and have loo reading time.

E: I am a loving idiot and forgot to paste the link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NgDX3sLYf0U2VMRy16MzJfM28/view

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm coming to the end of detailing my winter city, and I'm feeling like I might want something more... arid. Any recommended desert maps or themes that people here have used? Preferably with some big canyons.

Try Hard Pill
Oct 19, 2012

MikeStmria posted:

I don't want to feel useless itt so I will share this if no one has before.

Interesting reading if you are too much into C:S and have loo reading time.

E: I am a loving idiot and forgot to paste the link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NgDX3sLYf0U2VMRy16MzJfM28/view

Thanks for posting this, highly recommend it. I work with urban planning IRL (not Canada/US tho) and found it a good reference.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
What is with those loving ligatures - no one else is super-distracted by this 18th century poo poo?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Try Hard Pill posted:

Thanks for posting this, highly recommend it. I work with urban planning IRL (not Canada/US tho) and found it a good reference.

I'm glad its of help. It apparently was made by a pro urban planner IRL that felt in love with C:S

I haven't read it completly, its just too much for my brain to hold.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
We all know you can't put a poo volcano, filled by your own sewage system, just anywhere.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I carried on with the university today.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i just got this game and i'm sort of stumbling through it, but my main question is: is there a functional difference between the prefab roundabouts and just making a circle of one way roads?

i don't think i'm doing terribly, city just hit 20k, but it's getting really congested with traffic and i'm thinking about giving a new one a go.

e: also is there a way to make my industry zones less gross and brown? i unlocked the depolluting water things so i don't have to see that, at least, but i still have ugly looking pockets of smog.

Mister No fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 8, 2019

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Mister No posted:

i just got this game and i'm sort of stumbling through it, but my main question is: is there a functional difference between the prefab roundabouts and just making a circle of one way roads?

i don't think i'm doing terribly, city just hit 20k, but it's getting really congested with traffic and i'm thinking about giving a new one a go.

e: also is there a way to make my industry zones less gross and brown? i unlocked the depolluting water things so i don't have to see that, at least, but i still have ugly looking pockets of smog.

Generally, the answer to any annoying aspect of this game is: "There's a mod for that."

Roundabouts are just 1 ways. The prefab ones are fairly limited to use, the sizes are not great. Roundabout Builder can build them for you with whatever roads you'd like, and several shape options, because getting them to stay round is a lot more difficult than it looks while attaching roads.

Traffic pathfinding is extremely simple in the base game and starts to break down as soon as there's more than four cars in your city. TM:PE adds a significant amount of extra tools to manage the quirks.

Unless you're running the "green" industries of Farming or Lumber, industry zones are going to pollute the heck out of wherever you put them. Several mods will remove the blight. I think the one I'm using is called No Radioactive Desert.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

pointlessone posted:

Roundabouts are just 1 ways. The prefab ones are fairly limited to use, the sizes are not great. Roundabout Builder can build them for you with whatever roads you'd like, and several shape options, because getting them to stay round is a lot more difficult than it looks while attaching roads.

Keeping round is super easy.

Build the roundabout.
Run a cross through the center node points. ( Make a + inside it)
Connect your external roads.
Delete the bracing.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

toplitzin posted:

Keeping round is super easy.

Build the roundabout.
Run a cross through the center node points. ( Make a + inside it)
Connect your external roads.
Delete the bracing.

Seriously? Son of a...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah, just use the simple/cheap dirt/one lane path

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pointlessone posted:

Seriously? Son of a...

If I remember right, starting with the + makes making the initial circle easier, since you can better utilize the grid and 90-degree curve tools.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It also works for using the roundabout builder, which is so much easier IMHO, especially for small ones.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I desperately want a city building game that has both challenging gameplay and is very much a game but also produces very detailed pretty realistic looking cities. With skylines you sort of have to pick one or the other, either play how the game was intended and end up with ugly rear end cities, or mod the gently caress out of the game eliminating most of the already shallow gameplay and turn it into a 3d modeling program with some people and cars driving around.

To me, the game is more of a traffic and logistics simulator more than anything else, and unless you just copy pre-fab solutions for everything, traffic remains a fairly challenging problem throughout the game for as long as you're expanding, in my experience.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

a7m2 posted:

To me, the game is more of a traffic and logistics simulator more than anything else, and unless you just copy pre-fab solutions for everything, traffic remains a fairly challenging problem throughout the game for as long as you're expanding, in my experience.

On that note, have you heard of Transport Fever 2? It comes out tonight and it sounds like it's right up your wheelhouse.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Kyte posted:

On that note, have you heard of Transport Fever 2? It comes out tonight and it sounds like it's right up your wheelhouse.

Transport fever is cool, but it has not much to do with something like C:S. You are pretty much limited to logistics and thats it. At least that was my experience in Transport Fever 1

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MikeStmria posted:

Transport fever is cool, but it has not much to do with something like C:S. You are pretty much limited to logistics and thats it. At least that was my experience in Transport Fever 1

But it was a very spiritual successor to transport tycoon.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

I'll check it out, thank you.

On another note, I just tried the industries DLC. It's disappointing. It makes an insane amount of profit for a relatively low cost but more importantly, it seems to generate way less traffic than regular industry and the traffic it does generate is very easy to manage if you plan ahead even a tiny bit.

I do look forward to trying the postal service stuff, though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

a7m2 posted:

On another note, I just tried the industries DLC. It's disappointing. It makes an insane amount of profit for a relatively low cost but more importantly, it seems to generate way less traffic than regular industry and the traffic it does generate is very easy to manage if you plan ahead even a tiny bit.

It's been quite a while since I've played, but I had the exact opposite problem with the Industries DLC. It generated an absolutely insane amount of traffic and I had to separate the industry area from my town and service it with dedicated trains and freeways and lots of planning for the huge volume of traffic. Have they changed it in a patch or something?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I think one of the DLCs that deliveres the most and changes the game peace a lot os the Natural distasters DLC. If you dont have it, make sure to try it

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Locator posted:

It's been quite a while since I've played, but I had the exact opposite problem with the Industries DLC. It generated an absolutely insane amount of traffic and I had to separate the industry area from my town and service it with dedicated trains and freeways and lots of planning for the huge volume of traffic. Have they changed it in a patch or something?

No idea. Which industry did you have this problem with? I did farming. Maybe it's just farming that's easy.

MikeStmria posted:

I think one of the DLCs that deliveres the most and changes the game peace a lot os the Natural distasters DLC. If you dont have it, make sure to try it

I did but after a very early game earthquake messing up the landscape massively and causing a tsunami that wiped out my entire tiny town, I disabled disasters, at least for a while. I'll probably re-enable them.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

a7m2 posted:

This game is a giant model train kit that I don't need a 5th mortgage and a 2000 square foot hobby room to play with. I can build really cool points of interest and details while procedural generating sprawling and uninteresting suburbs and skyscraper districts so my interesting stuff has a unique backdrop. It's very zen to spend an hour just detailing the decorative trees on a park that's next to a school. Just chilling with some music, planting some happy little trees and maybe a bench or two along the walkway. Occasionally I'll make some minor disaster show up to make my population evacuate, then drop a meteor on them without any warning systems in place because they won't stop complaining about me on twitter. Then back to the sleepy little small town where I'm placing bus stops around the area just to have school buses driving around.

I love this game.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Locator posted:

Here's what I have. It's not very pretty but not that much thought went into it. I was planning on making a much more extensive area but there's really no need because it's making a stupid amount of money for its size already.

The profit is actually higher and I'm importing 0, but I just moved my storage stuff a little and it messed up the supply chain.

For the Industries DLC, the trick is just to use a lot of directional roads that follow the supply chain. It'd be more fun and challenging if the supply chain was more extensive.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

a7m2 posted:

No idea. Which industry did you have this problem with? I did farming. Maybe it's just farming that's easy.

I did but after a very early game earthquake messing up the landscape massively and causing a tsunami that wiped out my entire tiny town, I disabled disasters, at least for a while. I'll probably re-enable them.

What I do is disable them early game. Once stuff is running, enable it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Can't remember if it was this thread or the SimCity one, but I picked up the audiobook version of The Power Broker and it is excellent. To be fair I'm about 10 hours in and it's only just starting to talk about the city planning aspect (most of it bio/backstory) but well worth the read/listen.

I also grabbed the SimCity 2000: Power, Politics, and Planning book - it's only got a few sections that seem to look at city planning (mostly it's a strategy guide, which is itself a lovely nostalgia hit) but it's very thorough. I wish there was a printed resource that was similar for Cities:Skylines, although with the ongoing trickle of DLC I guess it'd be outdated before long.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I was gonna ask this a long time ago but I forgot.

Anyone has some decent workshop paths for pedestrians to use instead of making GBS threads on my traffick using crosswalks? If not, do you know what height should they have for everything to go through without issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

MikeStmria posted:

I was gonna ask this a long time ago but I forgot.

Anyone has some decent workshop paths for pedestrians to use instead of making GBS threads on my traffick using crosswalks? If not, do you know what height should they have for everything to go through without issues?

In my experience the game's ped paths are good enough, but sometimes you need to manually turn the crosswalks off. Traffic Manager can do that. Unfortunately it can't do anything about the zebra stripes.