Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Someone once asked if we would cook a steak two different temps WITHOUT cutting. When asked to clarify, they said to cook it to medium, then hang one side off the grill and cook the other half to well done.

I can tolerate many things but this would break me and I would have to choke the person who asked for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there any way to slap the steak in a pan full of ice and then throw it under the broiler? Raw on one side, well done on the other? Just to mess with the customer.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I want my steak seared inside but raw outside tyvm

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Science WHORE posted:

I want my steak seared inside but raw outside tyvm

I once overheard some bougie chefsculinary students talking about molecular gastronomy and other bullshit. One of them mentioned cooking a fish from the inside out using a soldering iron.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Do you tin the tip first? How many watts? So many questions...

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
That microsoft nerd food book recipe for reverse-heat nega-cooked duck breast that needs $15k in equipment and 27 distinct steps

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

More like sauteing iron! (The lead adds a unique zest)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

More like sauteing iron! (The lead adds a unique zest)

You're not supposed to be zesting plumbum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Someone once asked if we would cook a steak two different temps WITHOUT cutting. When asked to clarify, they said to cook it to medium, then hang one side off the grill and cook the other half to well done.

As a server I love requests like this because it's so rare (no pun intended) that I get to look a customer in the face and just say "no."

I got a good one last night, we're an Italian restaurant and almost all of our wine is from Italy and a customer asked "can you recomend a good local wine?" No, I can't, there's an ocean between here and the point of origin for all our wine.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

captkirk posted:

You're not supposed to be zesting plumbum.

Listen. I don't think you "get" molecular gastronomy.:smuggo:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

liquid nitrogen dip 1/2 of the steak, ez

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Or, again, you can just tell the customer "no."

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Or, again, you can just tell the customer "no."

no one in any foh i’ve ever worked with has this skill

also they’re called “guests” thanks in advance

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
oh you want one reuben sandwich cut into eighths? i mean the cooks have knives surely this is reasonable

oh you only want half of a 1/2” piece of marinated tempeh on yr sandwich, specifically cut lengthwise? i mean you say we’ve done it before so

oh you want to have yr wedding reception in the dining room during a friday dinner service? phew we don’t have to rent the place out to you and 30 guests that might have been quite the inconvenience for you haha

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SHVPS4DETH posted:

I overheard the owner of my local pizzeria chiding a worker for going across the street to the grocery store to get alfredo sauce for a customer. "If we don't have it we don't have it! Say no!"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tunicate posted:

I overheard the owner of my local pizzeria chiding a worker for going across the street to the grocery store to get alfredo sauce for a customer. "If we don't have it we don't have it! Say no!"

I've told this story before but I worked at a place that made all their salad dressings in house. Good stuff too. No ranch of any kind - chef hated it. Eventually we had enough customers complain about it (including to the very visible owners) that he was forced to add it to the list.

His solution? Half dozen bottles of Hidden Valley. If you wanted ranch dressing, you got a bottle of Hidden Valley dropped on your table to shame you.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:science:

:wtc:

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've told this story before but I worked at a place that made all their salad dressings in house. Good stuff too. No ranch of any kind - chef hated it. Eventually we had enough customers complain about it (including to the very visible owners) that he was forced to add it to the list.

His solution? Half dozen bottles of Hidden Valley. If you wanted ranch dressing, you got a bottle of Hidden Valley dropped on your table to shame you.

You say that as if guests feel shame about what they are ordering.

"Can I get some ranch for my dry aged ribeye"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
:v:: "what dressing would you like?"

:downs:: "what kind of dressings do you have?"

:v:: "well, we have ranch, a sorghum vinaigrette, pomegranate poppyseed cream dressing, a very nice white verjus vinaigrette, traditional french dressing, and a port wine emuslion."

:downs:: "ranch"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Quabzor posted:

You say that as if guests feel shame about what they are ordering.

"Can I get some ranch for my dry aged ribeye"

I'd say at least 50% of them asked for a ramekin of it after we plopped the bottle down on the table. So either they're worried about portioning, or they're worried about perception.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd say at least 50% of them asked for a ramekin of it after we plopped the bottle down on the table. So either they're worried about portioning, or they're worried about perception.

I like to do a dippy dippy with my tendies

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ranch is Good

not as salad dressing tho

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

SHVPS4DETH posted:

And you say that like foh isn’t trained to say yes and figure it out later. We do the same thing, I won’t lie. Your ire is misplaced sir - kindly direct it at ownership

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

:v:: "what dressing would you like?"

:downs:: "what kind of dressings do you have?"

:v:: "well, we have ranch, a sorghum vinaigrette, pomegranate poppyseed cream dressing, a very nice white verjus vinaigrette, traditional french dressing, and a port wine emuslion."

:downs:: "ranch"

I stopped listing our draft beers for that reason.

"Are you looking for a lite, IPA, craft, or guinness?"

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Mister Speaker posted:

Ranch is Good

not as salad dressing tho

Conceptually I like it but I cannot stand it because when I was bussing/dishpit I'd reek of the stuff every day.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Quabzor posted:

I stopped listing our draft beers for that reason.

"Are you looking for a lite, IPA, craft, or guinness?"

This is awesome. Printed draft menus are dumb in general unless you never rotate your taps. My preferred method of ordering a beer is "[insert style], bartender's choice."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
not liking ranch dressing is classist

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SHVPS4DETH posted:

It's not that we can't say no, it's that we are often explicitly told not to say no by people who can fire us at a whim.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Maestro posted:

And you say that like foh isn’t trained to say yes and figure it out later. We do the same thing, I won’t lie. Your ire is misplaced sir - kindly direct it at ownership

This is correct. Hospital again, our call center tells patients whatever they want. They ignore the very large board telling them "no we're out of loving potato soup right now" and send at least three orders through. And cramming two peoples orders together on one ticket, because a nurse told the patient they're allowed to.

Anyways, unrelated. Thanks y'all for being cool and chill where I could be open about being me. I've been on my own for a year now, and a year and a month ago I realized that I'm trans. And what with the whole, everything over the weekend. I appreciate y'all being cool and respectful. :3:

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Restaurant thread says trans rights! :glomp:

Glad you feel safe here Manuel

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

It's not that we can't say no, it's that we are often explicitly told not to say no by people who can fire us at a whim.

The Maestro posted:

And you say that like foh isn’t trained to say yes and figure it out later. We do the same thing, I won’t lie. Your ire is misplaced - kindly direct it at ownership

oh totally get that; i’m never mad at foh for doing their jobs. it’s the guests that can gently caress off~

Science WHORE posted:

Glad you feel safe here

this af

trans rights are human rights

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 12, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Science WHORE posted:

Glad you feel safe here Manuel

I must have missed it if you mentioned it previously Manuel, but 100% this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SHVPS4DETH posted:

trans rights are human rights

100%.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Manuel being open in this thread and nobody bothering themselves about it was a big part of why I ended up deciding to be out on SA. SA is the only place I am out, anywhere, not just on the internet since I went deep stealth the better part of a decade ago. Good thread, good people. May your chefs be chill and your customers reasonable.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shooting Blanks posted:

I must have missed it if you mentioned it previously Manuel, but 100% this.

I know I've mentioned it before in the chat thread, pretty sure I've mentioned it here. I'm working on small changes at work before I come *OUT* out. Just so it's not a sudden change.

Resting Lich Face posted:

Manuel being open in this thread and nobody bothering themselves about it was a big part of why I ended up deciding to be out on SA. SA is the only place I am out, anywhere, not just on the internet since I went deep stealth the better part of a decade ago. Good thread, good people. May your chefs be chill and your customers reasonable.

:glomp:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Tonight there was a call for a possible 120 top all you can drink party for text month. If this happens I may kill myself to avoid it.

Edit: Manuel, I know I'm not a real restaurant industry person and I am a very infrequent contributor, especially of anything useful, but I am wishing you the best. I'm sure you'll do great but I can't imagine the anxiety. Knock em dead

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 12, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Tonight there was a call for a possible 120 top all you can drink party for text month. If this happens I may kill myself to avoid it.

Wow that sounds... wow.

I hope your place autograts.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You guys ever have a customer complain and demand the autograt be removed? It happened to a server I used to work with (for no reason, guy was just a cheap rear end in a top hat) and I learned that in this province nobody is legally obligated to pay the gratuity. I mean that makes sense but like, poo poo sucks.

I also once witnessed a large family come in and seat themselves at two booths to try and avoid the gratuity. Fortunately their server wasn't a dumbass.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Resting Lich Face posted:

Wow that sounds... wow.

I hope your place autograts.

It's Japan so no tips at all.

Edit: Excellent news! Not happening!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Mister Speaker posted:

You guys ever have a customer complain and demand the autograt be removed? It happened to a server I used to work with (for no reason, guy was just a cheap rear end in a top hat) and I learned that in this province nobody is legally obligated to pay the gratuity. I mean that makes sense but like, poo poo sucks.

I also once witnessed a large family come in and seat themselves at two booths to try and avoid the gratuity. Fortunately their server wasn't a dumbass.

Once, and frankly it was warranted. We had an unexpected 8 or 10 top come in and due to circumstance, get seated in a weaker server's section. There was just no good way around it. That server effectively folded partway through - after taking their drink order, before taking their food order. By the time that got sorted out, our strongest server had 2 tables leave and I was able to get everything reassigned. By this time the customer was visibly annoyed (understandably), but also recognized that we were doing the best we could. He asked that the autograt be removed so he could compensate the server that actually wound up taking care of them, not the original one.

Basically, dude wasn't aware we could just reassign the table to another server - he wasn't trying to get out of paying grat, just wanted to make sure the right person got the tip. The weaker server in this case wound up getting fired a couple months later when he no-call, no-showed on Mother's Day as a third offense and repeated warnings that he wouldn't get written up again.