Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

colachute posted:

Ok, I think it is stupid for them to be lopsided and inefficient.

In order to train to a level where cops from different units can operate at even basic levels of military standards would require pulling tons of people off the streets for days or weeks. Departments simply can't afford to do that. Hell, most departments you're lucky to get room clearing training every five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

In order to train to a level where cops from different units can operate at even basic levels of military standards would require pulling tons of people off the streets for days or weeks. Departments simply can't afford to do that. Hell, most departments you're lucky to get room clearing training every five years.

I don’t think any of this is the job of the police other than specialized units (SWAT, HRT). Cops don’t need to meet military standards.

If you cant do it right don’t do it at all.

Just because departments are broke isn’t an excuse for lovely police work. Stop making excuses for being bad and lobby for more funding or something. But stop being bad regardless of funding.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
This all seems like some ticky tacky poo poo to critique for people who were headed into a firefight in the middle of a regular day in a civilian environment.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

I don’t think any of this is the job of the police other than specialized units (SWAT, HRT). Cops don’t need to meet military standards.

Just because departments are broke isn’t an excuse for lovely police work. Stop making excuses for being bad and lobby for more funding or something. But stop being bad regardless of funding.

They did do it right. Sorry if "too many cops on one wall" is some sort of critical failure for you.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This all seems like some ticky tacky poo poo to critique for people who were headed into a firefight in the middle of a regular day in a civilian environment.

I can only imagine they're highly disappointed the cops didn't shoot the hostages this time. Probably had posts ready to go and they have to fall back on fashion critiques.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

They did do it right. Sorry if "too many cops on one wall" is some sort of critical failure for you.

Do you see them pulling security across the street in that back group?

Why are they doing that?

For the guy who would just need one spray across the wall to smoke several of them?

I’m literally arguing in favor of their safety lol

Yes, that is a critical failure.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

Why do you want to let the terrorist shoot up a jewish deli so badly, cole?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

This is the problem with cops. I never said that but you wish I did so you could get angry and shoot someone. Congrats on being a stereotype I guess.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm sorry your level of training has led to a photograph that can only be described as a machine gunner's wet dream.

Chichevache posted:

lol guy

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm sorry your level of training has led to a photograph that can only be described as a machine gunner's wet dream.

look if we've hit the point where there's a second shooter with a machine gun around the corner from where you've got the shooter contained we are about to have a real bad fuckin day no matter how much training we get

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

This is the problem with cops. I never said that but you wish I did so you could get angry and shoot someone. Congrats on being a stereotype I guess.

pet your dog

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

look if we've hit the point where there's a second shooter with a machine gun around the corner from where you've got the shooter contained we are about to have a real bad fuckin day no matter how much training we get

If you’re at the point where you can reliably predict the situation then you don’t need an army of cops anyway. Just sit back and tell the future.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

Holy poo poo dude.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm just saying that poo poo is funny to see in the wild. It's like "of course they would do that." I'm not expecting anything else. At least they didn't use civilians for cover this time.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

If you’re at the point where you can reliably predict the situation then you don’t need an army of cops anyway. Just sit back and tell the future.

most police work is chutzpah and luck

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Oh look it's the fashion police

"hey we are responding to a officer down and shots fired"

"Ok get the heavy vest and rifle from the trunk"

"Oh poo poo pull over we need to shave first as to not offend random assholes on the internet"

why do they even own plate carriers like that to begin with.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

most police work is chutzpah and luck

But you have the ability to control a lot of the situation, e.g. not setting yourself up as an easy target.

It’s weird how since I’m ACAB that even arguing for cops to keep themselves safer is somehow wrong. Are you just telling me that they physically cannot keep themselves from stacking like idiots?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

Holy poo poo dude.

Sorry, but Cole is really bugging me by saying these dudes shouldnt even respond to an active shooter targeting a minority group. Like, is his brain really that broken?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Sorry, but Cole is really bugging me by saying these dudes shouldnt even respond to an active shooter targeting a minority group. Like, is his brain really that broken?

If you can spot where I said they shouldn’t have responded, I’ll donate $100 to a charity of your choice.

Otherwise, shut the gently caress up.

Oh my “if they can’t do it right” comment? Do you admit they can’t do it right?

E: also you’ve been a prick to me for like a week, don’t act like this is new.

colachute fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 11, 2019

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Y'all are just screaming past each other honestly

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

why do they even own plate carriers like that to begin with.

wow I don't know, not like there haven't been multiple shootings with high powered rifles at schools, churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, movie theaters, public spaces and just about everywhere else

America has chosen to live in a heavily armed society, until you fix that, giving cops body armor that can stop that level of threat seems like a good idea.

I get all the objections to militarizing police, but this type of incident is what that poo poo is for

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Melthir posted:

Y'all are just screaming past each other honestly

every cop thread since I started answering questions in CotB threads in D&D a decade ago

having flashbacks

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

If you can spot where I said they shouldn’t have responded, I’ll donate $100 to a charity of your choice.

Otherwise, shut the gently caress up.

Oh my “if they can’t do it right” comment? Do you admit they can’t do it right?

E: also you’ve been a prick to me for like a week, don’t act like this is new.

Dude, you said "if you cant do it right dont do it at all". What else is that supposed to mean when we are talking about people in a non war zone responding to an active shooter? You constantly bitch about the militarization of police, but here you are whining that these civilians aren't responding like soldiers. Which way do you want it?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Chichevache posted:

He's saying you guys shouldn't suck so much.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

But you have the ability to control a lot of the situation, e.g. not setting yourself up as an easy target.

It’s weird how since I’m ACAB that even arguing for cops to keep themselves safer is somehow wrong. Are you just telling me that they physically cannot keep themselves from stacking like idiots?

honestly I'm just impressed they're all behind hard cover

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

Dude, you said "if you cant do it right dont do it at all". What else is that supposed to mean when we are talking about people in a non war zone responding to an active shooter? You constantly bitch about the militarization of police, but here you are whining that these civilians aren't responding like soldiers. Which way do you want it?

So they can’t do it right? And if we are playing this game:

Chichevache posted:

Then why do you want a bunch of cops to be easy pickings for someone? Why do you want police to die? (This type of argument is loving stupid you idiot.)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

here we go off the rails wooooooooooo

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If they can’t do it right, which you are implying since you’re backing me into the “then they shouldn’t do it at all” corner, then they are unqualified to do their job, no?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
guys what happens if a concerned citizin (TM) exercising their second amendment rights shows up to a scene and starts blasting cops bc they look like a wanna be airforce cosplay group

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chichevache posted:

It's a real wonder that people intensely dislike cops when those same cops are antagonistic towards anyone that questions/disagrees with them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hello from the gas chamber!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

colachute posted:

If they can’t do it right, which you are implying since you’re backing me into the “then they shouldn’t do it at all” corner, then they are unqualified to do their job, no?

Which job? Social work? Domestic violence? Traffic enforcement? Violence suppression? Conflict mediation? Investigation and preservation of evidence?

The initial response to these situations is always overwhelming and chaotic as units self deploy and show up with improper and incomplete information. Managing to pin these two psychopaths in one location and maintaining firearms control is doing it right in my opinion, and having too many cops in one area is not a critical failure.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Waroduce posted:

guys what happens if a concerned citizin (TM) exercising their second amendment rights shows up to a scene and starts blasting cops bc they look like a wanna be airforce cosplay group

something we actually worry about. NYPD orders plainclothes off the scene as soon as possible, and plainclothes are required to carry hi-vis jackets in the car. Jersey should consider the same standards.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Smiling Jack posted:

Which job? Social work? Domestic violence?

I don’t think beating your wife counts as a job dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

Which job? Social work? Domestic violence? Traffic enforcement? Violence suppression? Conflict mediation? Investigation and preservation of evidence?
There’s a whole bunch of context that makes this question easy to figure out.

quote:

The initial response to these situations is always overwhelming and chaotic as units self deploy and show up with improper and incomplete information. Managing to pin these two psychopaths in one location and maintaining firearms control is doing it right in my opinion, and having too many cops in one area is not a critical failure.

They didn’t need to all be stacked on a wall like that. It is unnecessarily unsafe, especially if they felt necessary to watch across the street.

I am sorry that you think the correct method is to add unnecessary danger to the officers, and then blame it on funding. We don’t seem like we will agree here. But just know that my whole point is that the officers were in danger they didn’t need to be in.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

colachute posted:

No one is forcing you to post or backing you into a corner. You chose to make that statement and you know drat well what you meant. Stop trying to walk it back.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a real wonder that people intensely dislike cops when those same cops are antagonistic towards anyone that questions/disagrees with them.

Cole isn't a cop.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chichevache posted:

Cole isn't a cop.

I was talking about you. I'm sorry that has to be pointed out.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache posted:

No one is forcing you to post or backing you into a corner. You chose to make that statement and you know drat well what you meant. Stop trying to walk it back.

Ok here is what I said:

“If they can’t do it right they shouldn’t do it at all.”

Which means they shouldn’t respond if they can’t do it right. Which you turned into me wanting Jewish people shot.. or something.

It sounds like you’re agreeing with me that they can’t do their jobs correctly in the context of this emergency situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

“If they can’t do it right they shouldn’t respond”

“WHY DONT YOU WANT THEM TO RESPOND???”

Lmfao that says a lot about what you think about a cop’s ability dude.