Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Clubs get their intake on different days now to stop people just combing through the database on one particular day to poach all the wonderkids like you're talking about. Think it happens over a range of a couple of months.

I don't know how well it's modelled in game but in English football poaching rights are limited by academy category. To poach a 15/16 year old from a Cat 2 club you'd need to be Cat 1 yourself and still pay hefty tribunal fees if you couldn't agree a payoff. Players are registered from around 13, and "youth intake day" is your club's u16s being paraded in front of you for potential scholarships. It's not intended to be a first come first served free for all on random kids walking in for trials.

Foreign labour is obviously a different kettle of monkeys.

Your club's ability to recruit the best prospects is modelled by your youth recruitment rating (PA), youth training rating (CA) and influenced by the personalities/tactics of your development staff (Head of Youth Development or Director of Football or whoever is set to manage the intake, I can't find the button to change it this year), not your patience in looking through every club and offering deals there and then.

Most people doing extreme youth saves start at big clubs in smaller competitive pools with great ratings (like Ajax), and will save scum their own intakes (this is also harder now as many of the players' values are set before Christmas, when you get a vague teaser message about what's coming).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah the Big Scouting Change was in FM18, that was the end of the ancient tradition of spending a real-time week scouring the whole world for wonderkids on Youth Intake Day every year.

So the gaming-the-game tactic of choice in FM18 was to savescum your own youth intake, because your new youngsters weren't actually generated until Youth Intake Day (which was different for each country and also different each year). (Why you'd plow time into this instead of just getting an editor and setting your youngsters' stats to whatever you want boggles my mind.)

So for FM19, to stop that poo poo, they changed it so the youth intake actually happens behind the curtain where you can't see the numbers in like December, then the numbers get revealed to you in February or March or whenever.

You can still just cheat with an editor if you're really hellbent on it so overall I think it's a good direction to go, the player being able to scour the globe for wonderkids on Intake Day was always stupidly gamey.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
My personal "thing" has always been to just massively over scout the e entire world's youth intake once a year. Sign any 5 star potentials who aren't too pricy and accept that you won't catch everyone and will sign a few duds. Overall though I tend to come out massively in profit.

My Brexit this year didn't change work permits though and foreign kids now seem to want the £100k+ contract that will get them a permit to sign for me. So I can't just sign them up and send them all to Poland for three years. This is seriously cramping my style and will probably mean a European heavy conveyor belt this time round.

Maybe I'll have to sign the 4.5 stars too.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I liked FM17 for that sort of thing, because you could always count on massive potential newgens from East/Central/North Africa, who all count as EU in France, at least. So I usually didn't have to scour the world, just a few countries.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
For my own intakes I tend to sign everyone with 3-star or above potential unless their attribute spread is complete trash and they've got poo poo Determination.
Below that, if the attributes aren't horrible and they've got decent Determination, I'll still sign them.

People put a lot of stock into what their HOYD/coaches think about the youth intake, but my experience is that it's really hit-and-miss, even with good staff.
In my FM19 game, the best player who ever came through my intake (PA 198) was rated 8th or 9th best by Potential in the season he came through.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
First half of the season - Lost 1, drawn 1, won 17. Avg. 2.5 goals per game.
Second half of the season - Drawn 3, scoring once (a slide tackle during a goalmouth scramble). Plus a cup game away at Ajax which I won 1-0 lmao.

The reputation nerfs are more blatant than ever this year. My Juve wonderkid loan striker is blasting so many chances over the bar, it's ridiculous. Playing some lovely football but can't finish a hot dinner.

If SI could fix defending they wouldn't have to code in this bullshit.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Is He’s On A Goal Drought Jeff still their favourite way of nerfing strikers who are scoring too much?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I generally don't use Instant Result except in pointless League Cup and EL/CL Group stage matches, but you bet your rear end I Instant Result my way through January-March every year. There's only so much FM bullshit I can sit and watch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In the next round of the cup I played recently-promoted FC Den Bosch, and playing the same way I always do won 6-2 with some spectacular finishes (also a funny own goal and their goalkeeper rushing out to punch and missing, giving my new winger a tap in... although in the league he'd have missed that probably).

Reputation Manager 20.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

now that I think about it I'm not really sure why I play this game anymore, I use the Instant Result for everything and grit my teeth through every transfer window when the same five mega-clubs relentlesstly tap-up and unsettle all my best players (hey, just like real life!). The whole thing is just a nuisance from beginning to end, seemingly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
10 games to go, still 9 points clear but it seems the best I can hope for from league games is draws. Will be lucky if I hold onto second. The fix is definitely in. Tried pressing high, tried sitting off. Tried wide, tried narrow. Game just doesn't want me to score all these clear chances with two of the best strikers in the division. Not even a morale issue as the cup run has everyone bouncing (beat vvv Venlo 2-1 after extra time in a personal grudge match for not hiring me, the upcoming semi is a local derby with PSV).

The rubberbanding is worse that I've ever experienced. Far too easy for half a season (media prediction 12th after finishing 3rd the previous season), now my team's being buried 2-0 by the last-placed team who had lost 5 in a row. No sense to it, tactics irrelevant.

Defending is so piss poor this year. Don't let anyone tell you the match engine decides the scorelines, it has to be managed to keep things "realistic".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It seems like defending in general gets a little bit worse with every iteration, and so the hardcoded bullshit they spackle it over with likewise gets a little bit thicker each year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just watch how wide players will literally run away from their men in the final third to go stand in line with the 18 yard box. They've had to severely restrict first time crosses because wingers and fullbacks just don't get picked up. A quick one-two and both can be in 10 yards of space.

Even on the widest settings fullbacks tuck in horribly tight and wide midfielders don't chase back far enough to be useful. They press when a player has the ball, often 2 or 3 pressing the same player like schoolkids, but anyone off the ball is a invisible.

Wing play was entertaining but very broken in the earliest versions I played. They had to remove all the fun.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

My favourite bit of defending is how as soon as a long ball is played, the opposing CBs run as far forward as possible to leave a striker one-on-one, who will 99% of the time smash it directly at the keeper despite having the entire penalty area to himself

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bogan Krkic posted:

My favourite bit of defending is how as soon as a long ball is played, the opposing CBs run as far forward as possible to leave a striker one-on-one, who will 99% of the time smash it directly at the keeper despite having the entire penalty area to himself

That's not true at all, at most he'll smash it directly at the keeper 70% of the time.

The other 29% of the time he launches the ball into the 14th row.

A brilliant play by $DUMBASS_STRIKER!

It deserved a finish at the end

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sometimes they slow down so a defender can get a block in for yet another corner.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i miss the days (15?) where you could be a mid table team and buy darijo srna and he’d operate at a top level until he was almost 40

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

15 was good, although it was literally impossible (when I played it) for any league to supplant the Premier League as Europe's top league, somehow

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jesus WEP posted:

i miss the days (15?) where you could be a mid table team and buy darijo srna and he’d operate at a top level until he was almost 40

At the start of this career I had a 30 year old centre half with Nat Fit 8. Acc/Pac around 10 or 11. Good captain material, only defender in the squad with the vision not to panic and blast long balls all game.

18 months on Acc 7 Pac 6. Guy must have been necking pints non-stop. Just turned 32 and his career is definitely over.

15 was the last good one, and the last one before I started doing research for them. You're welcome.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

At the start of this career I had a 30 year old centre half with Nat Fit 8. Acc/Pac around 10 or 11. Good captain material, only defender in the squad with the vision not to panic and blast long balls all game.

18 months on Acc 7 Pac 6. Guy must have been necking pints non-stop. Just turned 32 and his career is definitely over.

15 was the last good one, and the last one before I started doing research for them. You're welcome.

Ahhh lower lower league Wayne Rooney the CB

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Just signed Erling Haaland for West Ham, 2 days later he's got a hat-trick on debut against Spurs. Kid's gonna be a legend.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Anyone playing FM20 Touch on Switch? Last version of FM I played was 17 and the idea of getting back into it in a cut down portable form is sorely tempting. But from what I read the FM19 Switch release was a bit of a mess? Though maybe it was fine I don't know anyone who played it personally.

Anyway, if anyone is playing the new version on Switch would you recommend it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wish the news articles would stop doing stupid poo poo like

TEN-MAN JUVENTUS GO DOWN TO DEFEAT AGAINST MILAN
A.C. Milan took full advantage of their numerical advantage as they beat Juventus...

in a 3-1 match in which the last goal was scored in the 65th minute and someone went out injured/red-carded in the 92nd minute.

My immersion :argh:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I wish the news articles would stop doing stupid poo poo like

TEN-MAN JUVENTUS GO DOWN TO DEFEAT AGAINST MILAN
A.C. Milan took full advantage of their numerical advantage as they beat Juventus...

in a 3-1 match in which the last goal was scored in the 65th minute and someone went out injured/red-carded in the 92nd minute.

My immersion :argh:

This mimics real life pretty closely though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Anyone playing FM20 Touch on Switch? Last version of FM I played was 17 and the idea of getting back into it in a cut down portable form is sorely tempting. But from what I read the FM19 Switch release was a bit of a mess? Though maybe it was fine I don't know anyone who played it personally.

Anyway, if anyone is playing the new version on Switch would you recommend it?

I have 18 and 19 on Switch and they’re both adequate. The main problem is the controls; the touchscreen is cramped and the joystick-controlled “mouse” cursor drops frames when the system is under load, such as during matches, making it difficult to control with precision. I put up with it because I like laying on the sofa while I play, but if I had an iPad I’d definitely use that instead.

I’m not sure what issues people had with 19 on Switch; it’s janky, but in the same way FM is on every platform.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
August to October results:

November to early January:

It's my tactics mate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What was your media predicted finish at the start of the season?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Brexit kind of takes a little bit of the fun out of playing in the UK. As Fulham I got to 5th in my 3rd season but I don't see how long it'll take to actually be a credible opponent to the top 4, I just get 4-0'd by liverpool every time, and the only youth intake kids I can bring in are the brazilian wonderkid ones that I have to pay 20+ million for.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sassassin posted:

What was your media predicted finish at the start of the season?

4th. I was in 1st place until form collapsed. The usual FM sort of collapse where you get 4-5 chances a game with 3 off the woodwork and you lose 1-0. Morale starts to drop and suddenly everything falls apart.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The AI will adapt to your tactics if you never change anything. If you're dominant enough it just doesn't matter, but if it's competitive things will start going south after enough scouting data exists.

Bustthenet talks about it in his Kingstonian tactic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-syHhWewKw

Basically early season he can be really aggressive when everyone is underestimating him, and later in the season he has to go a little saner/safer with his tactics to adapt to them playing him tighter.

I saw it myself when I did my "Bath City to the Champions League" save, I used a stupid aggressive tactic and after a while I could barely scrape out a tie, but even making a minor formation change everything went back to working great.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The AI isn't clever enough to "adapt to your tactics". All it does is change to be more defensive as your team increases in relative reputation (which is recalculated at set points rather than continuously, leading to the sudden and long collapses in form after long runs of easy success) which can easily catch out many players' aggressive starter tactics. The sit deep, they get compact, and (here's where it differs from real life) play less risky passes and at lower tempo, so the worst teams in the league start looking like prime Barca against you, countering only when it's a brilliant opportunity.

Condition/fatigue doesn't work properly or do anything much at all really (there's a very minor performance malus below something like 65%), so wearing teams down ahead of Fergie time doesn't happen, the game is not at all set up to replicate how strong teams will punish the parking of buses. One or two players might look nervous but just "demand more" and they're good to go.

This year there are specific issues with finishing % based on reputation. It's easier than before to break down super-defensive sides as defender logic is garbage, but good luck scoring without a deflection of mistake the match engine can't compensate for.

I blame David Moyes who I'm pretty sure must have consulted on the game given how often players will try to kick the ball off shins to win corners.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sassassin posted:

I blame David Moyes who I'm pretty sure must have consulted on the game given how often players will try to kick the ball off shins to win corners.

What about off the shins to score a goal?

https://twitter.com/simiadei/status/1044100274934099968

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sassassin posted:

This year there are specific issues with finishing % based on reputation. It's easier than before to break down super-defensive sides as defender logic is garbage, but good luck scoring without a deflection of mistake the match engine can't compensate for.

This is definitely what I have experienced. It's not the chance creation its the finishing.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Hey nerds I finally upgraded to FM2020 from 2013 having not paid attention to any updates in between

The whole training schedule redesign is overwhelming and online guides are completely unhelpful, what is this poo poo? Either I use the default schedules my assman assigns and everyone complains the level of training is too low/they're not getting enough time for their unit/whatever or I add one session myself and it descends into leg-snapping pandemonium. Can I just let the assistant do it and ignore their bitching or do I actually have to figure this out

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Poonior Toilett posted:

Hey nerds I finally upgraded to FM2020 from 2013 having not paid attention to any updates in between

The whole training schedule redesign is overwhelming and online guides are completely unhelpful, what is this poo poo? Either I use the default schedules my assman assigns and everyone complains the level of training is too low/they're not getting enough time for their unit/whatever or I add one session myself and it descends into leg-snapping pandemonium. Can I just let the assistant do it and ignore their bitching or do I actually have to figure this out

Ignore complaints, yes.

You can let your assistant do it but it's better to make on template week based on playing on a Saturday (match prep Friday, rest Sunday) and just paste it in at the start of the month. Do physical training early in the week, no more than two sessions per week imo to keep workload down and reduce injuries. Do loads of tactical stuff pre and early season. Switch to technical stuff when you're tactics are familiar. Don't bother with extra sessions (3 in one day) unless it's team bonding or you want to punish your players.

Do at least one goalkeeper session a week. They're good for allowing players to work on their individual focuses and new ppms. Otherwise just focus sessions on the attributes you like the most, don't worry about hitting everything (chance conversion every day).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Training chance conversion seems like a waste when the engine is hard coded to make chances miss

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Eric the Mauve posted:

Training chance conversion seems like a waste when the engine is hard coded to make chances miss

Yeah this too, no joke my last match had like 32 shots, 3 on target, and when I went to see what went wrong they were all missed sitters from 6 yards out

Ok, this helps. Can you screenshot an example of what you do if you don’t mind?

Poonior Toilett fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 1, 2020

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

You can also try this training spreadsheet out: https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm20-training-planner.html. I haven't used it much but it does help plan out your schedules.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

It improves a good spread of attributes.

I don't have the game installed at the moment and am not allowed to post screenshots from the version of it I do have but I basically did:

Mon - Tactical session, Defending session, rest
Tues - Technical session (your choice), Fitness session (usually General or Resistance), rest
Weds - Technical session (your choice), Goalkeepers, rest
Thurs - Technical session (your choice), Fitness session or Set Piece work, rest
Fri - A match prep session (Teamwork, Attacking, Defending rotating to keep them fresh), rest, whatever prep session the game fills in
Sat - Matchday
Sun - Recovery, Rest, Rest (Early season replace first Rest with Match Analysis)

Low workload overall as injuries = bad. Early season some of the technical sessions will be spent on extra tactics work, later on a few extra set piece prep sessions aren't a bad idea as it's a results game. Regular midweek games mean you'll probably do very little training, which is why I don't play in the Championship any more.

Team bonding in the evenings during transfer windows. Community Outreach around Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I signed a 36 year old Lionel Messi on a free for West Ham, and our first game of the season was away to Stoke. He fails to take any shots and I drag him after an hour of doing absolutely nothing.

Smash cut to the end of the season, and he's scored twice and set up another as we put Manchester United to the sword in the Champions League final, but he'll never be able to say he could cut it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke.