Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Sorry guys, the ABC says it's all over for Corbz, stick a fork in him and pack it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Srspost : It's drat hard to be cheerful when there's a fire thats larger than Sydney to to the north of home, the Jamison is burning away and most of south flank of the national park is currently doing it's damnest to copy it's northern fire bro in size, meaning we're all choking on smoke for a month, the ribbon of suburbs along the Great Western Highway are working out no matter which way the wind blows there's a fire coming, all the meantime the politicans have their heads jammed solidly up their loving rear end about the scope of the disaster and the cause as well as there's not a hope for the kind of rain that will save what's left of the forests between Gospers Mountain fire complex, the Green Wattle Creek fire complex AND the Ruined Castle fire before the end of January.

Yeah it was good to see the wave of pissed off people at Town Hall yesterday and it was fun to yell and stamp feet while having a face mask on. But Gladys and Scummo AND Albo are about the worst leaders you could be cursed with in this actual climate change disaster.

At least my wife (who is Canadian) will be here over Christmas so I have that at least. Dunno what the gently caress she's gonna make of the hellscape when she gets here tho

"Honey, I told you we should have moved to Victoria"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

bell jar posted:

"Honey, I told you we should have moved to Victoria"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria,_British_Columbia ?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ha. That's actually where she lives and where I spend .... about 2 months? during the year.

Love the place in summer altho last year had a few fire problems and a fair number of smokey days. gently caress winter in Canada tho

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 12, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Tories are gonna romp it in and then Boris will drive the country over a cliff in the Brexit Bus

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Most likely: Tory majority. Turbo-Brexit and continued cuts.

Possible: Tory minority government with Lib Dems, I think in this scenario a second ref might happen, continued cuts.

Unlikely: Labour gets majority government. Second Brexit referendum, big boosts to NHS, some backbenchers rebel against Corbyns other plans and he is out before or at the next election.

Never happen: Labour minority government. Lib Dems are just Tories with better PR.

SNP majority!!!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ha. That's actually where she lives and where I spend .... about 2 months? during the year.

Love the place in summer altho last year had a few fire problems and a fair number of smokey days. gently caress winter in Canada tho

It's good as a tourist escaping the firelands though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Boris Johnson will destroy the NHS and then, while the uk is wallowing in misery, our own PM will use it as an example of successful privatisation of healthcare.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I did not identify the PM because it could be anyone by then.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
jezza’s going to get that egg

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

first an ok but unrealistic plan, a thing thats never going to happen:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/new-coalmines-in-queensland-dont-help-existing-communities-they-hurt-them

quote:

New coalmines in Queensland don’t help existing communities, they hurt them

This week in Queensland, Anthony Albanese has been devastating in exposing the lies, hypocrisy and absurdity of the National party’s election “promise” to build a new coal-fired power station. That even the idea of building such a power station hasn’t demolished the economic environmental and political credibility of the Morrison government tells you a lot about what is wrong in Australian politics today.

But how do we square the circle on the broader coal debate? Internationally, the debate between those who think it’s time we talked about fossil fuel supply (think Adani, the Keystone XL pipeline or the Canadian oil sands) and those who want to keep the focus on fossil fuel demand (think talk of targets, trajectories and closing down coal power stations) has been brewing for some time.

But there’s no need to fight. Alfred Marshall was the economist who invented what we now think of as supply and demand curves. He was once asked whether it was supply or demand that determined price – his response was that it was like asking if it was the upper or lower blade of the scissors that did the cutting.

There is nothing in an economics textbook that says we need to choose between focusing on the supply of fossil fuels or the demand for them. In fact, economics textbooks suggest that when it comes to a big problem like climate change, we should cut with both arms of the scissors.

The good news is if we are willing to take a new look at old arguments, we can develop win-win solutions to problems that can sometimes seem unresolvable.

As Albanese has said, it’s important to differentiate between thermal and coking coal. That’s true, and when we do, we can see that none of the new mines such as Adani being proposed in the Galilee Basin produce coking coal. But if we go further down the road of arguing that not all coalmines are created equally, we can find even more common ground.

If, for example, we distinguish between existing coalmines and proposed coalmines, we can develop policies which effectively “grandfather” our treatment of the mines we already have while imposing much tougher rules on proposed new ones.

The opposition leader is right to say it would be economically reckless to close down all existing coalmines overnight. But that doesn’t mean that it is economically or environmentally responsible to open up new coalmines in regions that have never mined a tonne of coal.

Once we separate calls to stop opening new coalmines from calls to shut all coalmines down tomorrow, a range of economic and political possibilities present themselves – the most important of which is that by preventing any increase in the supply of coal from new coalmines, we can actually keep the price of coal higher, keep the existing mines operating for a bit longer, and in turn, keep the existing coal workers in existing coal regions working longer. Put simply, new coalmines in far north Queensland don’t help existing coal communities, they hurt them.

The Morrison government often tells us that if we frack more gas, the price will fall and if we build more coal-fired power stations electricity prices will fall, but they don’t talk much about what would happen if Australia opened up the Galilee Basin and doubled our coal exports. That’s because the answer is that it would push the world price of coal down and the world’s consumption of cheaper coal up.

Australia is the world’s largest exporter of coal. When it comes to exportable coal, Australia has a bigger share of the traded coal market than Saudi Arabia has of the world oil market. Our supply decisions matter. A lot.

Back in 2011, Queensland suffered from catastrophic flooding, and the floods disrupted Queensland’s coal export facilities. The world price of coal shot up for the same reason that the world price of oil shot up when terrorists attacked Saudi Arabia’s largest oil refinery this year. Supply decisions affect price.

Flooding the world coal market with an extra 200 million tonnes of Galilee Basin coal will push the price of coal down, down, down, along with production and employment at other Australian coalmines.

But don’t take my word for it. Adani’s own evidence to the Queensland land court showed employment in other Australian mines would contract. The Port of Newcastle has argued publicly that new coalmines in Queensland will lead to coal job losses in the Hunter. Even Joel Fitzgibbon was quoted saying that the economic warnings about the impact of the proposed new mines in Queensland’s Galilee Basin on the Hunter coal industry were “absolutely correct”.

Again, once we distinguish between the economic impacts of opening new mines from the economic impacts of shutting existing ones, the political landscape looks quite different. Similarly, once we understand that supply and demand interact, the policy case for focusing on both fossil fuel supply and fossil fuel demand makes a lot more sense.

But rather than plan a gradual transition out of coal by allowing existing mines to wind down on schedule over the coming decades, the New South Wales, Queensland and federal governments are offering a wide range of subsidies to build new ones. Subsidising new coalmines is a poor way to fund our schools and hospitals and it’s an even worse way to help existing coal communities. As Queensland’s Treasury has said, “spending on mining related infrastructure means less infrastructure spending in other areas, including social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools”.

It gets worse. The NSW government’s policy for setting coal royalties states: “Royalty rates are set to encourage present and future exploration and development of mineral resources.” And so keen to open new coalmines is the Queensland government that they a have offered a “royalty holiday” for the coal itself which would amount to an enormously expensive “dig now pay later” scheme. Of course, that assumes that Adani will be around in the future to pay later. But the consequence of this interstate “competition” to attract new coalmines is that Australian taxpayers, and the world’s climate, pays a high price.

But with absurdity comes opportunity. Imagine if Australia had a national plan to manage the decline in coal, a decline that even the coal industry accepts will come “in the decades to come”. Imagine if instead of subsidising new mines to come and compete with existing coalmines, we tried to protect existing coal communities and the environment at the same time.

If such a plan was based on economics, not spin, it could be simple and cheap:

Step 1 – Stop building new coalmines – you can’t transition out of coal while you are still building new coalmines.

Step 2 – Admit the obvious: new coalmines push down prices and threaten jobs in existing coalmines.

Step 3 – Keep existing mines open for longer by preventing new ones from opening. That’s the fairest way to help existing coalminers in existing mines and an easy way to help the climate.

Step 4 – Increase the very low coal royalties and raise a lot more revenue from existing mines (for context, Saudi Arabia has a tax rate on oil companies of 85% – and no lack of foreign oil companies).

Step 5 – Fund regional development from the increase in revenue that will accompany higher royalty and company tax revenues. We just need NSW, Queensland and the commonwealth cooperating to help existing communities instead of competing to help foreign coal companies establish new ones.

Step 6 – Ban robot trucks and robot trains. What’s the point of causing climate change from mines that don’t even employ anyone in regional areas?

With faith in politics at record lows, temperatures, pollution and bushfire damage at record highs, it’s a brave politician who hopes that the issue of coal exports will fade away like the Sydney Opera House behind its new shroud of smoke.

Sure, it’s hard to imagine states cooperating with each other for the benefit of their citizens, but now more than ever Australia needs some blue sky thinking.

next a pie in the sky fantasy and complete unicorn bowling party with elves pixies and friendly aliens:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/12/what-albanese-could-have-said-we-lied-australian-coalmines-have-no-future

quote:

On Monday, ahead of a visit to Queensland coalmining communities, Anthony Albanese announced that there would be no ending of coal exporting under a Labor government. Here is the text of an alternative speech the Labor leader could have given that day instead.

Today we witness an unprecedented situation as a people and as a nation. Our country is burning and there is no end in sight, nor will there be an end unless we have the courage to face the truth. Our country is burning because it is warming up and drying out, and these things are happening because of a climate crisis for which human beings all over the world are responsible.

We cannot escape our responsibility to act on these truths.

Last election we lied to Australia because we lied to ourselves. We thought we could run with the hares and hunt with the hounds. But in the end, the hares didn’t believe us and the dogs came for us.

It was not possible to say we were serious about addressing the climate crisis and yet promise $1.5bn to subsidise the development of the Beetaloo gas basin as we did during the election. It strained belief of both our supporters and opponents that we could be for Adani and not for Adani. In truth we were too much for ourselves.

All we achieved was to entrench the fossil fuel industry as our most powerful vested interest. Today that industry has as its handmaiden the most authoritarian government in our history. It attacks journalistic freedom, derides those who question it, uses parliament as a forum for lies and criminalises democracy.

Today fires burn over an extraordinary 2.1m hectares in New South Wales alone and yet, despite the lies, our carbon emissions are rising. In the greatest city in our country Australians are choking and falling sick with the resultant pollution that make its air rank among that of the worst polluted cities in the world. Our beaches are black with soot, our towns are running out of water, and yet we are opening new coalmines and gasfields.

Where is our prime minister? Where is the leadership the country is crying out for?

Agreeing with the government, staying mute on the great issue of the day is not clever politics. It is capitulation. It is collaboration. It is, finally, criminal.

My policy will not be to out-Nero Nero Morrison. That is his crown of ash, his name, his infamy, his shame and his destiny.

But it will not be mine.

And so from today our position is no longer ambiguous. Our policy means only one thing: to stay alive. Today, in the smog and suffocating filth of Sydney, at a moment of despair for all Australians, I am announcing that our policy of appeasement of the coal industry ends here and now.

Today I say to the fossil fuel industry this: we will no longer gift you endless billions of dollars of taxpayers’ money in subsidies and tax breaks, only in order to see the Australian people’s gift repaid as more fire, worse drought, rising seas, more floods, increased cyclones, soot in our lungs and despair in our souls.

Today I am announcing that if Labor is elected to government there will be a moratorium on all future coal and gas projects. Because if we don’t we will by 2030 be the sixth-largest producer of carbon emissions in the world. We are already the largest per-capita carbon polluter.

These simple, terrible facts shame us. Worse, we now are paying their terrible price. That is why today I am announcing that if we should win government we will end all thermal coal and gas exports. This will be a complex process but that process begins the day we take power.

I could pretend that it’s not against the rules of the Paris accord to export fossil fuels, that we have only committed to a reduction of carbon emissions in our own country. But such an argument is either a nonsense made in bad faith or shows no understanding of the science underlying the accord, an ignorance so profound as to be implausible. It is only consistent with a party which values neat tricks of language over the substance of public good.

And under my leadership we will not be that party.

I could argue that if we do not sell our coal, others will step in and fill the hole in the market. It is the seductive excuse of the pusher, the smuggler, the slaver. It is the argument of every criminal enterprise. Are we a people who make no distinction between a criminal act and knowingly aiding a criminal act?

No, we are not that people.

I could lie that there is a distinction between domestic emissions and international exports. But scientifically there is none. Science makes clear that the problem doesn’t stop at our borders; that the problem is shared, that the horrific consequences are shared, and that the solutions must also be shared. Far from being a crucial distinction, it is cowardice posing as realism.

The coal cuddlers say that we are insignificant in the world. They have no belief in Australia. I do. I believe we are something, and that we can be something more. Australia can be, as it once was, a leader in the world. We are a significant country. If we take this step it increases the pressure on every other coal-producing country to hasten the transition out of fossil fuels. It allows us to resume our place at the seat of civilised nations, rather than as the dirty rogue nation we are becoming. It permits us to argue with the force of example for recalcitrant countries to join the coalition of the clean.

The hard people of my party argue that the realpolitik of Australia in 2019 means carrying Queensland coal communities. And they are right. But that doesn’t mean lying to them.

If Labor supports the Paris deal – which we do – that means zero emissions by 2050. If that is achieved globally what future is there for the thermal coalmines of Australia and their communities in 30 years? Closure in 30 years or less. It is the cruellest hoax for politicians to tell these communities they have a future in coalmining when they do not.

The new coalmines that the Morrison government wishes to greenlight will be automated, roboticised and short-lived. They will be zombie workplaces whose promise of jobs are hollow. They will exist only for the greed of their owners.

Any leader with a shred of decency would be seeking to work with these communities to find the best and most just ways for them to find good jobs in a new economy. And that’s what I intend to do.

Today I am announcing that I am going to visit the coalmining communities of Queensland. They deserve to know the truth, and it will be my difficult task to tell them that no matter who they vote for, thermal coalmining is ending. It is ending because the market for coal will collapse – at first, as it already is, slowly – and then catastrophically and completely.

I could pretend these things are not so. I could lie as so many politicians have and will. But I respect the good, hardworking people of these communities and, with them, we will begin the hard work now of ensuring that the end of coalmining is not a catastrophic collapse but a just transition that guarantees good futures with good jobs. They will not be left behind.

It is well known that my hero and mentor was Tom Uren. Uren was a political realist. But he also believed in principle. At the great historic juncture of Australian history, when Menzies’s idea of Australia, backward, reactionary, was firmly in place, Uren marched at the head of the young, as a leader of the Vietnam moratorium movement, to change Australia.

It’s time for Labor to once again walk with those young people on the street demanding action.

To the prime minister I say this: join with us to fight this terrifying problem. It is not a Liberal problem or a Labor problem or a Green problem. It is a practical problem. It is a threat to our very future as a society, as an economy and perhaps even to us as a species. It is the greatest threat in our history. Whatever our beliefs, we are choking on the same smoke. Whoever we voted for we face the same water restrictions and, in more and more of our towns, no water. Across parties, classes and regions we are possessed of the same fear. The fire that now consumes our country doesn’t discriminate whose home it destroys or who it kills because of politics. And in fighting this horrific force nor should we. Human beings have collectively made this problem, and only collectively can we solve it.

Let me be clear. There is no other way. The climate crisis no longer just means the Great Barrier Reef and our ancient forests will die. It means we will suffer too. The climate crisis no longer means our children will experience shorter and more difficult lives. It means we will too. It means our homes becoming uninsurable. Our agricultural sector shrivelling. Our fisheries vanishing. Our economy unravelling. Clean air and water becoming increasingly scarce. I say this not to panic you but to alert you to the scale of the challenge.

I cannot tell you where we will end up. The hour is late, the situation is dire and we have left action to the last moment. I can promise you only this: that I will fight shoulder to shoulder with you in the hope of a better tomorrow. And I ask only this in return: will you join with me?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Whitlam posted:

oh hey Amethyst was banned too.
good

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

loving everything up for zero comminity benefit seems to be the main aim of the governments in question.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

loving everything up for zero comminity benefit seems to be the main aim of the governments in question.

Community benefits aren't the goal of the government, no.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Zenithe posted:

Lol, I work in health care, just wait until you both are under obligation to help them and are stuck in a room with them and their opinions.

If the godawful (heh) Religious Freedom Bill v2.0 passes, what if it is your honestly held religious belief that Boomers are the bringers of the END TIMES and the only way to stop THE PROPHECY is to not assist them?

Only catch is you have to hold that belief consistently, so if you help a single boomer out you're hosed. #notallboomers

(seriously religious exemptions for providing health care is loving bonkers. If you don't want to give someone a morning after pill because "omg sex before marriage is immoral" or "a loose collection of cells is a human being!!111", maybe don't be a loving pharmacist?)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hopefully once they pass the bigot bill they won't be able to take credit for marriage equality any more.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wonder how many people enrolled to vote for marriage equality then turned around and voted for the LNP right away?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scotty from Marketing is here to the rescue.

'Deeply troubling and unsettling': Prime Minister urges calm over bushfires

Mr Morrison moved to assure people he was listening to concerns about the haze that has settled over Sydney and said "the country is coming together to deal with the firefighting challenge we have".

"I've lived all my life, pretty much, in Sydney, and the haze that has come from those fires, I know has been been deeply troubling to Sydneysiders. It's been deeply troubling to families and kids, who've never seen this before."

Mr Morrison said Australia's greenhouse gas emissions were only a tiny part of the global emissions.

"Australia is 1.3 per cent of global emissions and NSW is I think less than 0.5 per cent of emissions. And so any suggestion that the actions of any state or any country with emissions of that order is directly linked to any weather event... is simply not true."

He also announced an additional $11 million in funding for aerial bush firefighting efforts.

Earlier on Thursday, Minister for Resources and Northern Australia Matt Canavan questioned the link between climate change and bushfires and accused NSW Environment Minister Matt Kean of "potentially over-exaggerating" the certainty of scientific findings on the question.

"The fires have not started due to climate change, they've started because some silly people have done some stupid things... they've started through lightning strikes," Senator Canavan said.

"This attempt to link an event to one cause, is simply clearly, manifestly wrong," Senator Canavan told ABC Radio National.

Instead, he said climate change might be a structural influence on the trend of bushfires but cited a 2015 report saying the science was unsettled.

Asked about Mr Kean's remarks on Tuesday naming climate change as a cause of the bushfires gripping much of eastern Australia, Senator Canavan said he had an "open mind about it".

"But it's not helpful, I don't think, when ministers distract from the real issues that face people on the ground and potentially over-exaggerate the science," Senator Canavan said.

He urged state and federal governments to focus on firefighting, backburning and allowing farmers to clear fuel from their land.

Federal Labor leader Anthony Albanese said there was "no doubt" climate change was contributing to earlier and more intense bushfire seasons.

NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said climate change "poses risks to the NSW economy" that the government was tackling.

Last week global carbon project executive director and CSIRO research scientist Pep Canadell said Australia's emissions were contributing to climate change.

"It's the tragedy of the commons. Below the biggest emitters in China and the US you have dozens and dozens of countries contributing between 1.5 and 0.8 million tonnes, which adds up to the climate problem," Dr Canadell said.

"Because all the individual contributions are small no one feels responsible.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mattjpwns posted:

If the godawful (heh) Religious Freedom Bill v2.0 passes, what if it is your honestly held religious belief that Boomers are the bringers of the END TIMES and the only way to stop THE PROPHECY is to not assist them?

Only catch is you have to hold that belief consistently, so if you help a single boomer out you're hosed. #notallboomers

(seriously religious exemptions for providing health care is loving bonkers. If you don't want to give someone a morning after pill because "omg sex before marriage is immoral" or "a loose collection of cells is a human being!!111", maybe don't be a loving pharmacist?)

I'm the manager of a Starbucks and I'm planning to fire any employee I overhear say Merry Christmas because I'm a militant atheist that follows sharia law.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
LAC raises an interesting point actually, how many people saw big policy victories for the left like Medevac and Marriage Equality as showing the system was working basically as intended and thus contributed to the extremely disinterested status-quo victory at the election?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Mr Morrison moved to assure people he was listening to concerns about the haze that has settled over Sydney and said "the country is coming together to deal with the firefighting challenge we have".

"I've lived all my life, pretty much, in Sydney, and the haze that has come from those fires, I know has been been deeply troubling to Sydneysiders. It's been deeply troubling to families and kids, who've never seen this before."

Mr Morrison said Australia's greenhouse gas emissions were only a tiny part of the global emissions.

"Australia is 1.3 per cent of global emissions and NSW is I think less than 0.5 per cent of emissions. And so any suggestion that the actions of any state or any country with emissions of that order is directly linked to any weather event... is simply not true."

He also announced an additional $11 million in funding for aerial bush firefighting efforts.

Earlier on Thursday, Minister for Resources and Northern Australia Matt Canavan questioned the link between climate change and bushfires and accused NSW Environment Minister Matt Kean of "potentially over-exaggerating" the certainty of scientific findings on the question.

"The fires have not started due to climate change, they've started because some silly people have done some stupid things... they've started through lightning strikes," Senator Canavan said.

"This attempt to link an event to one cause, is simply clearly, manifestly wrong," Senator Canavan told ABC Radio National.

Instead, he said climate change might be a structural influence on the trend of bushfires but cited a 2015 report saying the science was unsettled.

Asked about Mr Kean's remarks on Tuesday naming climate change as a cause of the bushfires gripping much of eastern Australia, Senator Canavan said he had an "open mind about it".

"But it's not helpful, I don't think, when ministers distract from the real issues that face people on the ground and potentially over-exaggerate the science," Senator Canavan said.

He urged state and federal governments to focus on firefighting, backburning and allowing farmers to clear fuel from their land.

Federal Labor leader Anthony Albanese said there was "no doubt" climate change was contributing to earlier and more intense bushfire seasons.

NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said climate change "poses risks to the NSW economy" that the government was tackling.

Last week global carbon project executive director and CSIRO research scientist Pep Canadell said Australia's emissions were contributing to climate change.

"It's the tragedy of the commons. Below the biggest emitters in China and the US you have dozens and dozens of countries contributing between 1.5 and 0.8 million tonnes, which adds up to the climate problem," Dr Canadell said.

If you're part of a mob that lynches someone you hold no responsibility since it would have happened anyway without your involvement, so pick up that axe and get to it!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mattjpwns posted:

As part of the bill now they are saying that if you want to claim sincerely held beliefs you have to show that it's part of a standard belief for people in your system, where essentially call witnesses to say "yeah, we also believe this".

So if it goes through expect to see people forming groups to share deeply held views on all types of issues, similar to the Jedi census business.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

just gently caress off

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Anidav posted:

So sick of this disingenuous talking point they keep hammering. Don't bother to count all the emissions contributed by our exports because... it's inconvenient

They know it works I suppose.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

100 people pissing in a pool pointing at each other saying "why should i stop before them im only responsible for 1% of the piss in this pool"

speaking of pools, a gofundme has been set up to ship pool water from sydney to armidale, in the electorate of australias special envoy for drought assistance and recovery since 2018, barnaby joyce. jfc

quote:

Lane Cove Council in Sydney NSW is collecting funds to transport more than 1 million litres of water from its 50m outdoor pool to drought-stricken areas in NSW. Lane Cove Council is currently in the deep end of construction of a new outdoor pool, and as part of the site safety testing, the pool was required to be filled with water and emptied. Instead of disposing of the water down the drain, Council dived right in to arrange for the water to be accepted by organisations in Armidale NSW. The water will be used to assist firefighters and farmers with livestock. Make a splash by donating to help Council fund the transport of the water from Lane Cove to Armidale. If all goes swimmingly, it is expected the water will be transported to Armidale in late 2019 or early 2020.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/make-a-splash-for-droughtstricken-nsw

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-12/sydney-pool-water-to-be-sent-to-armidale/11788726

speaking of water:

quote:

The Tamborine Mountain state school has run out of water, even as water miners in the Gold Coast hinterland are sending millions of litres to commercial bottling operations.

Trucks sent by the Queensland government carrying emergency supplies to the school, including Mount Tamborine bottled water, have been passing trucks heading in the opposition direction taking local water to bottling plants for beverage giants such as Coca-Cola.

The school remains open but parents have been advised by teachers to consider keeping their children at home.

Water miners in the Mount Tamborine area supply roughly 130m litres of water each year to commercial bottling operations. Now the local bores are running dry.

“Now the government is buying water back from Coca-Cola to bring here, which is where it came from in the first place.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/queensland-school-water-commercial-bottlers-tamborine-mountain

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Literal trickle-down economics.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
For the record I think UK will be hung parliament and then LibDems will side with the Tories like the Tory fucks they are.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

For the record I think UK will be hung parliament and then LibDems will side with the Tories like the Tory fucks they are.

SNP MAJORITY

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*does the math*

seems plausible

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
christmas retail report: bluey, not scomo, rules the hearts and minds of young australia

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
one lady said "it's the only cartoon i'm not ashamed of myself for letting my kids watch" which is basically the best endorsement i've ever heard

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
so found out I don’t have work at the school next year

I’m sure it’s related to having to take time off for being sick

can’t prove that tho

unioned up but my contract is finishing sooooooo lmao

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fauna posted:

one lady said "it's the only cartoon i'm not ashamed of myself for letting my kids watch" which is basically the best endorsement i've ever heard

Bluey is extremely good.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bluey is extremely good.

:hmbol:

Bluey embodies the same stultifying morality policing as Thomas the Tank Engine except it’s in the domestic sphere as opposed to the workplace.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bernstrike posted:

Bluey embodies the same stultifying morality policing as Thomas the Tank Engine except it’s in the domestic sphere as opposed to the workplace.

Watch out guys it's the fuckin unoffensive children's cartoon police.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Gridlocked posted:

Watch out guys it's the fuckin unoffensive children's cartoon police.

:carol:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bernstrike posted:

Better than Peppa Pig which teaches children that "Everyone Loves the Police".

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Better than Peppa Pig which teaches children that "Everyone Loves the Police".

If anything the underlying worldview of Peppa Pig is anarchism (which is why it’s a better show).

Also it has Brian Blessed as one of the voices which is p much an instant win.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

hawaiian_robot posted:

so found out I don’t have work at the school next year

I’m sure it’s related to having to take time off for being sick

can’t prove that tho

unioned up but my contract is finishing sooooooo lmao

poo poo, sorry. It's hard out there. I'm about to make a switch from a full time permanent job to a 15 mth contract, and there's a nagging feeling that I should be staying with the sure thing (even if the place is being run into the ground by dickheads).
Good luck in finding a new gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Hollandia posted:

poo poo, sorry. It's hard out there. I'm about to make a switch from a full time permanent job to a 15 mth contract, and there's a nagging feeling that I should be staying with the sure thing (even if the place is being run into the ground by dickheads).
Good luck in finding a new gig.

oh, I’m not a teacher (lab tech), but yeah I know how tough it can be out there for teachers. one friend only just got a permanent position after like 4 years.

but oh well this school sucks poo poo, hate it there, was a waste of my degree but you gotta work