Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The liberal democrats and the scottish national party do not have the option of not cooperating with labour, because if labour do not form a government we're brexiting in january, and that would obliterate both of their voting bases. Opposition to brexit is the core of both their platforms.
This seems to assume that the Tories are hardliners who will give up control of government to Labour rather than make concessions to Liberals.

Definitely can see how if the Tories need both the Liberals and SNP to form a government they may be unable to, but if they only need Liberal support isn't there a good chance they will try to get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

They'll probably be glad of the help as long as you don't seem like a tory, which given you're not likely to be fondling yourself while saying yeaarrsss a lot isn't hard.

Wrap up warm, even if you don't feel cold it gets right into your bones after a while especially if you're out for hours. I don't think we're allowed to actually campaign during polling hours so it should mostly be reminding people to vote but it'll probably be similar to normal canvassing without the selling part which is part of why I'm gonna try and do as much as possible cos I'm poo poo at selling.

Otherwise you just need to be able to knock a door and talk to folk. It helps if you remember the house number for your board runner cos if they're managing a lot of people they'll forget.

Thank you!

Braggart posted:

Hey peeps, did you know we're an international inspiration?

These posts are all from today alone, and we have had plenty of this throughout the election campaign. Our movement is giving hope to leftists worldwide. We are far from the only ones desperately hoping that we win this, and we are far from the only ones who believe that we will.

To everyone mucking in and helping with the election campaign efforts, you're amazing. To everyone offering support to others, even if only sympathy and encouragement, you're wonderful. To everyone who is scared, who desperately wants things to change, we love you, and you are awesome too. Together, we've got this.

And if you need more evidence that our movement is inspiring leftists around the world:

For the many, not the few, worldwide.

gently caress you. ('cause I'm actually tearing up right now.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

My partner works in a Tory shitehawk factory in Chesterfield
Is that where all the identikit youth ones come from?

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
Just want to add as another :corsair: it's really inspiring to see the mostly positive attitude in this thread, such a different feel than 2017.

I won't say i've retired the 'hope is a lie' meme but all the stories of people going out campaigning and the sheer enthusiasm among younger voters really is a great thing, and no matter what tomorrow brings I hope it continues.

:glomp: all round - give it your best folks and know it is truly appreciated, you are doing good things.

E:vv Agreeing with the Debbie/Owl etc, the Lib Dem/SNP base is firmly Remain, I can't see how they could try allying with the Tories and not piss their voters off like tuition fees 2.0.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 12, 2019

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

This seems to assume that the Tories are hardliners who will give up control of government to Labour rather than make concessions to Liberals.

Definitely can see how if the Tories need both the Liberals and SNP to form a government they may be unable to, but if they only need Liberal support isn't there a good chance they will try to get it?

That would be the nail in the coffin for the LibDems right? I don't doubt they'd do it, but it would be a tough sell with the FBPE base

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The tories can't make concessions to the liberals without stopping brexit. Like the liberal platform is 100% stop brexit, the tory platform is 100% do brexit. These two can't be reconciled and if they are it's because the liberals abandoned their only policy for coalition again, not the other way around.

Which, I mean, is possible but I think it's less likely than them trying to stop brexit, taking some of the credit, and then also benefitting from the tory collapse and the extra youth registration to become a part of the opposition where they can be as economically right wing as they want and vote with the tories.

It's good for them as a party to do that. They may, of course, pick the stupidest option again, but it's by no means the one that's best for them.

The liberals have a chance here to seriously distance themselves from the tories, pick up youth support again, and probably make some major gains towards building their trust as the economically right, but pro european party. The wonderful center that all the press people crave. All they have to do is kill the tories.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So, some of the analysis posted here of what might happen tomorrow seem to point to the likelihood of a hung parliament and a Labour minority government and, just curious what is the level of justified vs unjustified optimism there? By that I mean, the Liberal Democrats have repeatedly stated that they will not cooperate with Labour under any circumstances, even for C&S if I'm not mistaken, but the unspoken assumption on a minority Labour government is that Labour would get exactly that cooperation, instead of the Libs forming a coalition with the Tories again, isn't it? Isn't that kind of naive though?

And I haven't seen it just here, to be fair - all over in the press and Twitter the assumption seems to be that 255-260 seats or something like that for Labour, means a minority Labour government. That seems off.

Sorry if I'm putting a damper on the (relatively, compared to baseline over the past week) spirits here, but want to know if there is something I'm missing. Anyway I'm pulling for an outright majority tomorrow. Best of luck y'all :)

I think if Labour form a minority government there's more likely to be a C&S with the SNP. This does make a problem for England only legislation which the SNP don't vote on. But perhaps after a few months the LibDems might see sense. They're not all squirrel bashers.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

This election has been a real ride for me.
I went from not being involved at all earlier this year to attending a couple of local meetings, doing a bit of data entry and then suddenly I'm running boards, organising mass mailings and tomorrow I will be a committee room lead coordinating 20-30 people in getting out the vote and then going on to be a counting agent!
I've gotten to meet so many passionate and wonderful people and its really driven home regardless of the outcome of tomorrow, there is a solid base within Labour which will continue fighting until we get a progressive Labour government.
Giving into despair and disillusion is the worst thing that we can do as it suppresses us and the parasites that leech off of us know this and use it against us - I will not let this happen and instead channel these feelings into anger against those that wrong us and passion.
If we don't win tomorrow then we will try harder the next time and then again the time after that and so on until we get in.

chestnut santabag fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 12, 2019

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vote Labour Today

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

OwlFancier posted:

The tories can't make concessions to the liberals without stopping brexit. Like the liberal platform is 100% stop brexit, the tory platform is 100% do brexit. These two can't be reconciled and if they are it's because the liberals abandoned their only policy for coalition again, not the other way around.

Which, I mean, is possible but I think it's less likely than them trying to stop brexit, taking some of the credit, and then also benefitting from the tory collapse and the extra youth registration to become a part of the opposition where they can be as economically right wing as they want and vote with the tories.

It's good for them as a party to do that. They may, of course, pick the stupidest option again, but it's by no means the one that's best for them.

The liberals have a chance here to seriously distance themselves from the tories, pick up youth support again, and probably make some major gains towards building their trust as the economically right, but pro european party. The wonderful center that all the press people crave. All they have to do is kill the tories.
no said she would coalition with tories if they got a second referendum lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I see the LibDems voting down a BoJo queens speech, which may very well happen, but refusing to vote actively for a Labour one - probably abstention - meaning Labour would need Lab + SNP + Green + PC (+SDLP+APNI depending what happens) to be greater than Tories + DUP (who wont vote for a Boris government but absolutely aint gonna vote for Corbyn) to get a minority government past its first hurdle.

I mean very technically in the case of failure we would immediately go to a new election but considering the giant ticking Brexit clock it's obvious the LibDems are banking on the pressing need to form a government leading to some kind of informateur/formateur variant to lead all party discussions for a limited referendum only programme of government/queens speech

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Election today, chaps.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

no said she would coalition with tories if they got a second referendum lol

I guess that could be maximum stupid option rather than support a labour led referendum vs soft brexit.

Because obviously they'd lose again but they don't know that.

Look if I was a liberal that's what I'd do, support labour to block brexit, get all my mates in the press to back my sensible pragmatism, extend the franchise, then try to pick up as many votes as possible and spend a while on the opposition benches voting with the tories but claiming to be the sensible ones.

But then if I was a liberal I'd also be thicker so maybe I wouldn't do that.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1204897338071961601

No Borises allowed in my treehouse.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I would genuinely not be surprised if the Tories became a minority party within the next decade or so, replaced either by the lib dems or a new "moderate" party. Their brand is so tainted now and the demographics will continue to move against them.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Time to gently caress up some inbred six-toed ponyfuckers, lads.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

Election today, chaps.

We're gonna remember today for the rest of our lives.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Maugrim posted:

I would genuinely not be surprised if the Tories became a minority party within the next decade or so, replaced either by the lib dems or a new "moderate" party. Their brand is so tainted now and the demographics will continue to move against them.

Having labor add another to their body count would make me nut

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

OwlFancier posted:

I guess that could be maximum stupid option rather than support a labour led referendum vs soft brexit.

Because obviously they'd lose again but they don't know that.

Really loving risky for the tories tho

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Soundtrack to go to the polling station for the comrades since I can't go myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqFISER9fVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CW6l-A1rnk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gum posted:

Really loving risky for the tories tho

Less risky than the alternative, if the tories don't get a majority and labour puts brexit to bed the tories are hosed. Likely leadership election and they've got nobody, and no policies, and the lib dems snapping at their heels for the one nation tory vote.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Maugrim posted:

Yeah, they're already a 3rd party amongst the young and it's hard to see that changing

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That would be the nail in the coffin for the LibDems right? I don't doubt they'd do it, but it would be a tough sell with the FBPE base
The LibDem party itself works in service of capital. I hope we can agree on that. And, capital definitely prefers a Tory government to a Labour one no matter what the FT says. So I don't think it's far-fetched to say that the actual leaders of the LibDem party would prefer a coalition or C&S agreement with the Tories as opposed to Labour. Especially since they've come right out and said exactly that.

So at that point it's just a matter of whether they can sell it to their base. Or, more accurately, if they think they can sell it to their base. And, actually, I think they probably can? And I think they probably would think that they could, as well. Remember we're probably not talking about "we do Brexit" here but rather a compromise with the Tories for a 2nd referendum not unlike what Labour is already proposing outright. I mean you could probably get a compromise there that is identical to the letter to what Labour is already proposing, and people who hate the idea coming from Labour will warm to it when it's coming from the Libs, because a lot of their outrage is performative anyway.

So they'd do that, the referendum would have and who knows what the gently caress, and then regardless of the outcome the Libs get to keep most of their base because they tried. And they move on to the next culture war touchstone.

OwlFancier posted:

The tories can't make concessions to the liberals without stopping brexit. Like the liberal platform is 100% stop brexit, the tory platform is 100% do brexit. These two can't be reconciled and if they are it's because the liberals abandoned their only policy for coalition again.

Okay so to be clear then, the talk of "260 seats = minority Labour gov't" is, at best, slightly naive with a dash of not learning from very recent history thrown in.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

OwlFancier posted:

Less risky than the alternative, if the tories don't get a majority and labour puts brexit to bed the tories are hosed.

Are they? If labour manages to get a second ref and remain ends up winning, won't the country still have a huge base of 2016 leavers who are now extremely pissed off? (because brexit was "stolen" from them)

In that case, wouldn't they be re-galvanized to vote, if the Tories end up switching over to being the "respect the 2016 referendum!!!!!" party?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

OwlFancier posted:

Less risky than the alternative, if the tories don't get a majority and labour puts brexit to bed the tories are hosed. Likely leadership election and they've got nobody, and no policies, and the lib dems snapping at their heels for the one nation tory vote.

"Labour stole your brexit" plays a lot better than "We gave it away"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well no if the tories don't get a majorit then they're going to face opposition from the majority of parliament because we're on a deadline and nobody else wants their deal, least of all when there's been an election where everyone else stood on opposing it and also when most if not all of the labour brexit rebels have been purged.

wocobob posted:

Are they? If labour manages to get a second ref and remain ends up winning, won't the country still have a huge base of 2016 leavers who are now extremely pissed off? (because brexit was "stolen" from them)

In that case, wouldn't they be re-galvanized to vote, if the Tories end up switching over to being the "respect the 2016 referendum!!!!!" party?

The 2016 leavers are dying and again, labour's looking to add a big chunk of anti-brexit votes into the mix with the votes at 16. I don't think the tories can tap the leave demographic any more than they have, and it's already not sure to be enough.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 12, 2019

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Like even if Labour gets in and ends up withdrawing art 50 i could still see the tories surviving as a general fash party but calling and losing a second referendum themselves would actually kill them

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Epic High Five posted:

American checking in, just want to clear up some confusion I've had reading exactly 6 posts over the last 1000 pages:

1) Is Corbyn really able to summon lightning to smite his foes and control electrical grids with his mind? That seems pretty electable to me. Is it unique to him or is that just sort of part of the package of being in the UK and in favor of redistributive economics

Yes, he can. Corbyn is both electable and electrifiable :science:

He also has eye lasers :newdanger:

quote:

2) Has it been elaborated upon how Boris is going to make Brexit happen despite failing to do so over and over, over the course of years, all while being a huge goon who makes everybody dumber just with proximity and also he probably smells really bad and nobody likes him?

Boris looks like he smells like he looks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gum posted:

Like even if Labour gets in and ends up withdrawing art 50 i could still see the tories surviving as a general fash party but calling and losing a second referendum themselves would actually kill them

Sure but like, the tories don't want to be a rump party, they want to be the opposition. I don't think they have a chance to do that other than by calling and winning a referendum or by doing brexit via a majority.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
:jiggled: ELECTION DAY :jiggled:

:siren: Polls open at 7am and are open until 10pm :siren:

Get some rest team, polls open in under 7 hours!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/thenextmen/status/1204892588920193027

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/PeacePleb/status/1204763178481131526

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Doccykins posted:

Get some rest team, polls open in under 7 hours!

Wish I could yeah

Goldarn we gotta get some good results from this now

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
show us tories weeping and puking from stress

show us landlords hurling themselves from the poorly-maintained balconies of their slums

give us hope that there may be a future worth fighting for

good luck all

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
best of British luck with your election!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So they'd do that, the referendum would have and who knows what the gently caress, and then regardless of the outcome the Libs get to keep most of their base because they tried. And they move on to the next culture war touchstone.

I'd absolutely agree with you, up until the point we consider the recent Tory actions. This is the same party that called an election rather than have a proper reading of their deal. They don't want the scrutiny of a referendum. They want a majority to avoid scrutiny altogether. Therefore there would be no face-saving deal with the LibDems, it would be another 5p tax on carrier bags and you should feel lucky that you got that

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Doccykins posted:

:jiggled: ELECTION DAY :jiggled:

:siren: Polls open at 7am and are open until 10pm :siren:

How fast do the results come in?

I'm in Korea, so this works out well for me. 10pm is 7am here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've seen a few people on facebook now say they like labours manifesto but it'll destroy the economy and its honestly bizarre people could think that

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Don't think that's accurate. Pretty sure that's from the Tory Manifesto funding doc and they're increasing funding for 3 years then reverting funding back to what it was (presumably knowing Tories minus accounting for inflation or expanding populations or other factors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Results will come in from after the polls close at 10 to probably as far as in the morning of friday depending on how many recounts there are due to close seats, which could be lots.