Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1204926885286883328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

How come no one's talking about the sex offender in the white house?

I'm talking about Robert Kraft.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

half cocaine posted:

Thank you for specifying.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Is anyone else watching the Judiciary Committee debates? The Republicans are losing their goddamn minds.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scoops My Goops posted:

Is anyone else watching the Judiciary Committee debates? The Republicans are losing their goddamn minds.

in a just world they'd all be clawing their own eyes out like a Lovecraft protagonist in the last paragraph

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah, this is great! Hell yeah, YESSSSS!!!!
Me reaping: What the hell, this fuckin' blows.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

in a just world they'd all be clawing their own eyes out like a Lovecraft protagonist in the last paragraph

In a just world they would be forced to watch with a clockwork orange device as everything they have built up is torn down before their eyes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah, this is great! Hell yeah, YESSSSS!!!!
Me reaping: What the hell, this fuckin' blows.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

half cocaine posted:

Probably because there isn’t necessarily any moral problem with soliciting a prostitute, as opposed to the very real sex crimes purportedly done by our president.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
'Nakedly Authoritarian': Trump Taunts Security Guard for Not Being Rough With Woman Protester
commondreams.org/December 11, 2019
'During a campaign rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania Tuesday night, just hours after House Democrats unveiled articles of impeachment, President Donald Trump criticized an arena security guard for not being sufficiently rough while removing a woman who protested the event.

"Get her out. Get her out," Trump demanded as his supporters pointed and yelled at the demonstrator, who was wearing a #MeToo hat and holding a sign that read, "Grabbing Power Back."'

William Barr’s War on Reality, Truth, and the Law
motherjones.com/December 10, 2019
"For rogues, scoundrels, tyrants, princes and princesses of corruption—and their henchmen—the truth is a threat. It must be crushed. It must be vanquished. Abuse of power cannot exist alongside accountability. Malefactors cannot survive within an atmosphere of truth. It is a suffocating poison for them. So they must deceive, and they must dissemble. That is what the United States’ top law enforcement officer demonstrated this week"

Trump's team released a video of him as Thanos, the villain who commits genocide in the 'Avengers' movies, and people are puzzled
businessinsider.com/Dec 10, 2019

We have the articles of impeachment. Now what?
cnn.com/December 10, 2019
"We now know that as soon as next week the House will vote on two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump."

Harvey Weinstein settles with alleged victims — and he doesn’t have to pay a dime
nydailynews.com/Dec 11, 2019
"Harvey Weinstein has reached a tentative settlement with many of his alleged sexual misconduct victims — and he won’t have to pay a dime, according to a report.

Under the agreement, the insurance companies representing Weinstein’s bankrupt film studio would foot the $25 million bill for payments to women who have accused the disgraced movie mogul of rape and sexual misconduct, according to the New York Times.

The deal also does not require Weinstein to admit any wrongdoing."

Bill Cosby loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction
nbcnews.com/Dec. 10, 2019
"The disgraced comic claimed other accusers should not have been allowed to testify at his trial."

Why Aren’t White Mothers Being Blamed for the Opioid Crisis Like Black Mothers During the Crack Epidemic?
patheos.com/December 8, 2019 by Dr. Sam Kline
"As the nation faces the current opioid epidemic, why aren’t white mothers getting blamed for the crisis? What caused the United States to change our song and dance routine—our entire playlist for warring against drug epidemics? Is it as simple as learning from the past?"

Let ‘Devin Nunes’ Cow’ Remain Anonymous, Public Citizen and ACLU Tell Virginia Court
citizen.org/December 10, 2019
'A Virginia court should ensure that the person using the satirical Twitter pseudonym “Devin Nunes’ cow” (@DevinCow) can remain anonymous, Public Citizen and the ACLU said today in a friend of the court (amicus) brief.'

A North Dakota county was poised to be first to bar refugees under Trump’s executive order. Residents said no.
washingtonpost.com/Dec. 10, 2019
"On Monday night, as temperatures plummeted into the single digits, more than 500 people filed into a middle-school cafeteria in Bismarck, N.D. Dressed in flannel work shirts, fleece-lined jackets and waterproof boots, they formed a snaking line that was as long as the room, women in colorful headscarves mingling alongside men in “Make America Great Again” caps.

It was the second time that the Burleigh County Commission attempted to hold a vote on whether the community would continue accepting refugees. In September, President Trump signed an executive order that requires states and local governments to give their written consent before refugees can resettled, and Burleigh County stood to be the first community to take advantage of those new rules. The decision had been slated to take place a week earlier, but too many people showed up and overwhelmed the commission chambers. Even the new venue proved to be standing room only, with a crowd that spilled outside the heavy wooden doors.

For four hours, sixth-generation North Dakotans and recent arrivals from Cameroon and Congo took turns delivering impassioned testimony in what was often a contentious debate. Ultimately, the commission voted 3-2 to keep welcoming refugees.

The decision largely carried symbolic resonance. The Trump administration has slashed the number of refugee arrivals nationwide, and Burleigh County, which has roughly 95,000 residents, took in just 24 refugees during fiscal year 2019, according to the North Dakota governor’s office. The community — home to Bismarck, the state’s capital — is slated to receive a similar number of refugees in fiscal year 2020, and the measure that passed on Monday caps the number of new arrivals at 25."

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, going off the text, I'm going to do a breakdown of the new order. Please correct of I veer off:

----

- The big issue is using Title VI protections (race, color, national origin) to crack down on 'anti-semitism', which we have already known to be the anti-Israeli sentiment that they complain about.

"It shall be the policy of the executive branch to enforce Title VI against prohibited forms of discrimination rooted in anti-semitism as vigorously as against all other forms of discrimination prohibited by Title VI"

In short, anti-semitic actions are to be seen as against a race or nationality. As others have posted, this is an alarming precedent.

- Sec. 2(B) states that this is not meant to 'diminish or infringe' any 1st Amendment rights or free speech laws. Watch this part get used by actual anti-semities , alt-right morons and actual Nazis to allow for their heinous behavior while anti-Israeli protestors get struck. Watch.

- Any agency that enforces Title VI (Most if not all of them, but watch what DeVos does) submits a report on other 'nondiscrimination authorities within its enforcement authority' within 120 days. Not quite clear on what this pertains to, or what a 'nondescrimination authority' would entail.

------

As always, if I messed up please correct me.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1204955000377622530

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/Santucci/status/1204952996611870721

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Amazing

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Do it. Add another addled, aged, mind-wormed self-serving legal guy to your team.

Gods, I need more popcorn.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

poo poo like this is the direct result of Trump's crony and war criminal-pardoning.

But can you imagine the rear end in a top hat menagerie that he's gonna pardon on his way out?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1204945929620639745

So yeah. Stable Genius, Master Strategist Trump figured the best thing to do was to move a city of 25M people and all its infrastructure and industry. NBD.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Alan is great at eating his own foot so he’ll fit right in.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

do it binch

tie all these assholes to the sinking ship

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

So yeah. Stable Genius, Master Strategist Trump figured the best thing to do was to move a city of 25M people and all its infrastructure and industry. NBD.

Didn't they try this once and they built the whole city and now it's basically a ghost town?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

:chaostrump:"We should take Seoul, and push it somewhere else!"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Angry_Ed posted:

:chaostrump:"We should take Seoul, and push it somewhere else!"

the chaos emeralds make this so perfect

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Didn't they try this once and they built the whole city and now it's basically a ghost town?

Seoul is extremely not a ghost town (atm). Thinking of someplace else?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

J.A.B.C. posted:

Do it. Add another addled, aged, mind-wormed self-serving legal guy to your team.

Gods, I need more popcorn.

You forgot basically admitted pedophile.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Otteration posted:

Seoul is extremely not a ghost town (atm). Thinking of someplace else?

He might mean them moving all the government functions to Sejong so, in case of an attack, they wouldn't have all the critical infrastructure taken out in the initial strike. Or, if they did, it would strike away from Seoul to reduce the initial casualties.

Dunno what he means as Sejong is still a healthy city, though.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Imagine being related to one of the victims and experiencing this bullshit

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
President Trump stared intensely at Shadow. “They have to move!”

Shadow nodded gravely. “That’s impossible, Mr. President. But with the power of the Chaos Emeralds, we can do anything!”

“Then we’ll make that city move.” Determination burned in Trump’s eyes. He made a fist and Shadow could see the determination burning in his eyes.

“And then we’re going to avenge Sonic, Rudy, and all of your friends.”

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Hate the makeup propaganda though. :)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Ran across this (relatively) old quote. I'm sad (e: but not surprised :v:) it's still true.

Not a Step posted:

Negotiating as a Democrat, a play in three acts

ACT I:

An OFFICE in WASHINGTON D.C.

A DEMOCRAT: My constituency is deeply worried about their access to healthcare. I will push for healthcare for all! Other, lesser nations than grand America have achieved it! So shall we!

ANOTHER DEMOCRAT: Careful as you go! The Republicans will never stand for services for all! You must reign in your idealism and prepare to negotiate for half of what you want, lest you get nothing!

ACT II:

The FLOOR of CONGRESS

DEMOCRAT: I propose a bill providing for healthcare for all!

ENTER A REPUBLICAN

REPUBLICAN: Healthcare for all is but the first step on the path to dreaded Communism! If you push for health care I will fight you tooth and nail and have your name dragged through the dirt! My constituents will never vote for you!

DEMOCRAT: The votes of your constituents are very important to me, because I find my own voters very fickle! I am prepared to settle for market based insurance available to all. What do you say to my generous compromise?

REPUBLICAN: Market based insurance available to all is but the first step on the path to dreaded Communism! If you push for market based insurance available to all I will fight you tooth and nail and have your name dragged through the dirt! My constituents will never vote for you!

DEMOCRAT: The votes of your constituents are very important to me, because I find my own voters very fickle! I am prepared to settle for market based private insurance at inflated rates required of all, with penalties for those who refuse. What do you say to my generous compromise?

REPUBLICAN: Market based private insurance at inflated rates required of all, with penalties for those who refuse, is but the first step on the path to dreaded Communism! (fade out as REPUBLICAN continues)

ACT III:

An OFFICE. A group of LOBBYISTS are just leaving

DEMOCRAT: Well, I have passed a bill today in the Congress to make all Americans purchase health care from a private insurer for minimal coverage at high rates on pain of tax penalty! Lets see what my constituents have to say about this grand victory!

ENTER A CONSTITUENT

CONSTITUENT: You have sold us out to lobbyists and Republicans! This new law is awful!

DEMOCRAT: I had to be pragmatic to get anything done at all! You just don't understand the art of negotiation!

CONSTITUENT: If I had any other choice I would vote for them instead! Perhaps next election I shall just stay at home!

CONSTITUENT storms out

DEMOCRAT: Why are my voters so fickle? If only I had the Republican's voters instead! That gives me an idea!

END

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 12, 2019

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I feel like that play should be emailed to representatives in Congress

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fart Amplifier posted:

Imagine being related to one of the victims and experiencing this bullshit

this one is a few weeks old but this Bevin Pardon is arguably more disgusting

quote:

Gov. Matt Bevin has pardoned a man serving a life sentence for sexually abusing and sodomizing his 6-year-old stepdaughter 20 years ago.

In his pardon and commutation order on Friday, Bevin wrote that Paul Donel Hurt had been wrongly convicted in Jefferson County in 2001 of three counts of sodomy in the first degree and two counts of sexual abuse in the first degree.

"Hindsight is never truly 20/20, but it appears to me, and to many others including the judge who sentenced him, that Paul Donel Hurt has been wrongly convicted and imprisoned for nearly 20 years," Bevin wrote.

In 2015, Hurt's accuser recanted her testimony in an evidentiary hearing. However, the trial court did not set aside the conviction, with Jefferson Circuit Judge Audra Jean Eckerle ruling that her recantation was an inconsistent, "shifting account" that was "no more likely to be true than false."

The Kentucky Court of Appeals upheld that ruling in August 2018, noting that after the retirement of Jefferson Circuit Judge Stephen Mershon — the judge in the original conviction — he began corresponding with Hurt in prison and contacted the victim, after which time she recanted.

Expressing concern over the "highly unusual circumstance" of Mershon "confronting her directly and privately," Eckerle sided with the prosecution, which contended that Mershon "altered" the victim's memory, "and by using judicial coercion and intimidation, that he overcame her, causing her to claim falsely that she had lied (at) trial."

Bevin's order pardoning Hurt stated that "in light of all that is known and all that will forever remain unknown, it does not seem possible that justice can be truly served in this instance."

"Nonetheless, with the power vested in me as Governor of the Commonwealth, I believe it is my moral duty to commute the remaining sentence of Paul Donel Hurt and to grant him the full and unconditional pardon that he has requested," Bevin wrote.

The governor added that "it is my fervent hope and prayer that Mr. Hurt will find his faith in God and in his fellow man restored, and that he and his family will be abundantly blessed as he experiences the restoration of his freedom in the years ahead."

Mershon picked up Hurt at the state prison in La Grange on Friday and drove him to his mother's house, the retired judge told The Courier Journal on Monday.

"I believe an innocent man is now free," said Mershon, adding that "Bevin did the right thing."

Mershon — who tried to help Hurt receive a pardon from former Gov. Steve Beshear at the end of his second term in 2015 — said Hurt started crying uncontrollably when told of his pardon and did not stop during the drive to his mother's house.

"We'll never know what happened 19, 20 years ago," said Mershon, noting that while there is a chance "this guy could have been playing me, that he was the best con artist in the world," he strongly believes Hurt did not commit the crime.

Read this: Beshear fills four top positions, including secretary of executive cabinet

The governor's pardon of Hurt bears a striking similarity to his Chief of Staff Blake Brickman's reasoning for firing a top staffer of Lt. Gov. Jenean Hampton this summer. He accused the staff member of improperly advocating for the pardon of an inmate serving a long sentence for sexually abusing his own stepdaughter.

In the June 15 statement to The Courier Journal, Brickman wrote that Adrienne Southworth, Hampton's deputy chief of staff, was fired "because she demonstrated remarkably poor judgment in a number of ways, not the least of which were repeatedly advocating that the Governor commute the sentence of an individual who is serving a twenty-five year sentence for raping his own step-daughter."

Spokespersons for Bevin did not respond to an email and voicemail asking if Hurt was the person for whom Southworth was advocating, and if it was hypocritical to fire her while pardoning Hurt. Southworth also did not respond to a voicemail.

Jeffery Cooke — the spokesman for Commonwealth's Attorney Tom Wine, whose office handled the post-conviction matters of Hurt's case — said "there were issues raised during those post-conviction matters that make it easy to understand why the governor would question the validity of the conviction."

"We can kind of understand why he would consider doing it,” said Cooke, who added that Hurt was also in poor health.

In Mershon's Aug. 27 letter to Bevin making the case for Hurt's pardon, the former judge said that while Wine objected to his requests for then-Gov. Steve Beshear to issue a pardon in 2014 and 2015, the prosecutor now "has agreed to take no stance. While he cannot support Mr. Hurt's application, he also will not object if it is granted."

Pamela Darnall, president of Family & Children’s Place, a regional child advocacy center that evaluates and treats children for sexual abuse, said she was shocked by the circumstances of the pardon.

In general, children do not lie about sexual abuse, she said.

“The research continually bears out that the majority of kids are not making it up,” she said.

Darnall said she was disturbed that Mershon later sought out the victim, which the prosecution argued caused her to change her story.

“These are people in power. This is a judge," Darnall said. “This is what kids deal with when people who are the adults ... pressure these kids.”

Nor could Darnall understand Bevin’s willingness to pardon Hurt.

“A leader steps in and says I simply believe it wasn’t true so I’m going to pardon him,” she said. “What kind of message does that kind of behavior send to our kids and send to adults who have lived with their secrets for so many years?”

Bevin issued 15 other pardons on Friday, including one for Justin Derrick Wibbels, who was convicted of wanton murder in Laurel County in 2015. Jerry Thompson was killed in 2014 when his vehicle was struck by a car driven by Wibbels.

The governor wrote that Wibbles "was involved in a tragic accident and has been incarcerated as a result of his conviction for wanton murder. This was not a murder."

Bevin also pardoned five women who had their sentenced commuted by former governors — four by Steve Beshear and one by Ernie Fletcher — each of whom had been a victim of domestic violence convicted of killing her abuser.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nice reminder at the end there that 2019 America is an America where a woman isn’t allowed to kill her abuser without the state imprisoning her while a cop is allowed to kill anything that makes it jump.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

i am harry posted:

Nice reminder at the end there that 2019 America is an America where a woman isn’t allowed to kill her abuser without the state imprisoning her while a cop is allowed to kill anything that makes it jump.

Kill anything that it can reasonably claim made it jump. We all know at least some part of that group knows and relishes this fact.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats an insult to the pronoun it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

USPOL General Winter: FED KEEPS RATES UNCH

UNCH UNCH
What What?
BUH BOH

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

UNCH UNCH UNCH

where is it?

2.25% hth

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
PAK CHOOIE UNCH

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

I've seen alt righters and other right wingers attack Dershowitz over his involvement with Epstein but it seems to evaporate when he's in Trump's presence. I wonder if prolonged exposure, like in this case, if it could put a small dent in Trump's support.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DrHammond posted:

Kill anything that it can reasonably claim made it jump. We all know at least some part of that group knows and relishes this fact.

"reasonably"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Strange Poon posted:

I've seen alt righters and other right wingers attack Dershowitz over his involvement with Epstein but it seems to evaporate when he's in Trump's presence. I wonder if prolonged exposure, like in this case, if it could put a small dent in Trump's support.

You already know the answer to this.

It's no.