Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Inceltown posted:

You can fight amongst yourselves on whether this belongs here or not

https://twitter.com/miaaselaa/status/1203908356706054145

It's actually secretly blessed because it disproves something that scientists generally believed.
https://twitter.com/javi_draws/status/1204471648159703041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

scientists are dumb as hell

Fartbox fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 11, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

ultrafilter posted:

It's actually secretly blessed because it disproves something that scientists generally believed.
https://twitter.com/javi_draws/status/1204471648159703041

Not having seen all the cat videos, do they really show cats recognizing themselves, which is the point of the mirror self recognition test? Or do they just get flummoxed by the reflection of the humans not matching up? Recognizing oneself and understanding reflection are not the same.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Fox Cunning posted:

Not having seen all the cat videos, do they really show cats recognizing themselves, which is the point of the mirror self recognition test? Or do they just get flummoxed by the reflection of the humans not matching up? Recognizing oneself and understanding reflection are not the same.

Why spend all this time on a comment when you can't be bothered to watch the extremely short video?

The cats clearly understand that they're looking at reflections.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
That second cat is the most delightfully derpy looking animal I've ever seen.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Specifically, they look surprised by what they see, and then immediately check or swat at the person above them. It shows that they've made the connection that the thing they saw on the screen is ostensibly the thing above them. They never attack the screen. Perhaps it is because they've made the connection by recognizing themselves on the screen - through appearance, or through seeing that the motions seen on-screen match their own.

The Dregs posted:

That second cat is the most delightfully derpy looking animal I've ever seen.
I really want to hug that cat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Post images you fools

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fox Cunning posted:

The point of the mirror test, which people don't go through enough effort to understand, is that the animal displays an awareness of the mirror itself and that its reflection represents its own physical body, which when acted upon can be changed, it also then is necessary for the animal to have a baseline comprehension of what it looks like. That's why it's done by having a dot or object placed on the animal which the animal is intended to inspect if it passes the test since it can recognize then that the object or dot is not part of its regular, perceived self, if the animal doesn't respond to that dot, it fails. Cats almost always fail. Hence why it's an (incredibly flawed) metric for self awareness. It's also an old an arbitrary metric so acting all hard up that you've beaten those pesky scientists is goofy as hell. In the videos the cats aren't reacting to themselves or changes in their physical self, but to other objects in the reflection which they have comprehension enough to understand is a reflection, but that isn't even close to being the same as being able to assess changes or have cognizant memory or understanding of the state of self. Part of the mirror test is recognizing that the dot placed on you is alien to your body, not anyone else's, so a cat realizing that a reflection is inaccurate to its owner, an outside entity, displays awareness of change and object memory that tons of animals have but isn't necessarily an awareness of the state of your own body. Again, it's not about realizing that reflections represent objects or that those objects have place outside the mirror, but an ability to assess the normal state of one's self and notice aberrations. The mirror test also initially requires a comprehension that the object causing a reflection is in fact a mirror. Holding a polished, perfect mirror up to an animal that understands reflections can still fool it since it doesn't know it's a mirror, whereas something like reflections in water are recognizable as being on a familiar reflective surface. So familiarity to reflective objects is another factor. House cats are familiar with mirrors and cameras, thus learned the rules of them, still doesn't mean they'd pass the mirror test (which time and time again, when done with the actual metric of the test, they fail.)

Also the cat might just be looking to its owner which is holding it for help, so it's already tainted as any sort of proof by that alone. Let alone a stupid filter that is probably massive overstimulation and terrifying to them. Regardless the mirror test is flawed since even if an animal doesn't pass it, animals have other, capable abilities to make distinctions between their own selves and others while also maintaining a concept of self, than just visually.

And that's why you shouldn't listen to Twitter people about basic animal behavior you take in your first year of Vet school.

EDIT: An easy way to think of it is you waking up, looking in the mirror, seeing you have a pimple in a spot you didn't before. That requires an awareness of the state of your physical self and the recognition that the pimple is a change in that state of yourself.
This has nothing to do with your friend's reflection suddenly changing into a demon and scaring the poo poo out of you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 11, 2019

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
Ants can pass the mirror test.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Useful Distraction posted:

Ants can pass the mirror test.

Ants are amazing, complex, unique and stunningly effective creatures so that's not really the clincher you think it is. Ants own.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Whelp that answers that question. Goombas are traditionally circumcised.

Unrelated curse:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Goombas with phimosis are no laughing matter.

Unrelated:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The point of the mirror test, which people don't go through enough effort to understand, is that the animal displays an awareness of the mirror itself and that its reflection represents its own physical body, which when acted upon can be changed, it also then is necessary for the animal to have a baseline comprehension of what it looks like. That's why it's done by having a dot or object placed on the animal which the animal is intended to inspect if it passes the test since it can recognize then that the object or dot is not part of its regular, perceived self, if the animal doesn't respond to that dot, it fails. Cats almost always fail. Hence why it's an (incredibly flawed) metric for self awareness. It's also an old an arbitrary metric so acting all hard up that you've beaten those pesky scientists is goofy as hell. In the videos the cats aren't reacting to themselves or changes in their physical self, but to other objects in the reflection which they have comprehension enough to understand is a reflection, but that isn't even close to being the same as being able to assess changes or have cognizant memory or understanding of the state of self. Part of the mirror test is recognizing that the dot placed on you is alien to your body, not anyone else's, so a cat realizing that a reflection is inaccurate to its owner, an outside entity, displays awareness of change and object memory that tons of animals have but isn't necessarily an awareness of the state of your own body. Again, it's not about realizing that reflections represent objects or that those objects have place outside the mirror, but an ability to assess the normal state of one's self and notice aberrations. The mirror test also initially requires a comprehension that the object causing a reflection is in fact a mirror. Holding a polished, perfect mirror up to an animal that understands reflections can still fool it since it doesn't know it's a mirror, whereas something like reflections in water are recognizable as being on a familiar reflective surface. So familiarity to reflective objects is another factor. House cats are familiar with mirrors and cameras, thus learned the rules of them, still doesn't mean they'd pass the mirror test (which time and time again, when done with the actual metric of the test, they fail.)

Also the cat might just be looking to its owner which is holding it for help, so it's already tainted as any sort of proof by that alone. Let alone a stupid filter that is probably massive overstimulation and terrifying to them. Regardless the mirror test is flawed since even if an animal doesn't pass it, animals have other, capable abilities to make distinctions between their own selves and others while also maintaining a concept of self, than just visually.

And that's why you shouldn't listen to Twitter people about basic animal behavior you take in your first year of Vet school.

EDIT: An easy way to think of it is you waking up, looking in the mirror, seeing you have a pimple in a spot you didn't before. That requires an awareness of the state of your physical self and the recognition that the pimple is a change in that state of yourself.
This has nothing to do with your friend's reflection suddenly changing into a demon and scaring the poo poo out of you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's The Onion.

Cursed tax:

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akE2Sgg8hI8

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The fact that scientists didn't know cats could recognise themselves in a mirror is baffling to me. I've had a few cats in my time and none of them struggled with "holy poo poo, that's me but I'm here".

tax

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Inceltown posted:

The fact that scientists didn't know cats could recognise themselves in a mirror is baffling to me. I've had a few cats in my time and none of them struggled with "holy poo poo, that's me but I'm here".

tax

As previously explained, scientists are dumb

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fartbox posted:

As previously explained, scientists are dumb

So is hotlinking if you don't check the site allows it :D

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Good post 5/5.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Unrelated curse:

Is that the girl that tried to fake a Muslim Obama zealot assault and carved a backwards letter on her face?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

what happens when you hug an Android in the alien universe too hard

e: alien tax

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 12, 2019

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Unrelated curse:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

That's The Onion.

Cursed tax:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://twitter.com/Pringles/status...le-rick-2586572

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

2/2 because one poo poo isn't enough

That name

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I want to buy it to freak out my cats but I also genuinely do not wish to cause them harm

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

That name

That kid is destined to be a spy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

That name

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I can finally post something in here and (maybe) not get probed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1205180523221573635