Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

oxsnard posted:

Amazing that this revelation will actually be good for Trump and Nunes

Maybe but it could just end up showing their asses more, that they got hustled by an obvious liar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Woah, Ratcliffe leading by putting his head completely up his rear end and arguing that obstruction and abuse of power aren't impeachable offenses.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I watched like 15 minutes of this and no way am I sticking around

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

So far the best moment is that guy reading from his script about how he promised himself he wasn’t going to get emotional, but it’s too sad of a day in history

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there some rule that the speakers aren’t allowed to rebut the bullshit of the speaker directly before them? If not, why aren’t they doing it? Call them on their bullshit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

So far the best moment is that guy reading from his script about how he promised himself he wasn’t going to get emotional, but it’s too sad of a day in history

The Louie Gohmert Variety Hour is the single most mentally damaging 5 minutes of American Television.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

GutBomb posted:

Is there some rule that the speakers aren’t allowed to rebut the bullshit of the speaker directly before them? If not, why aren’t they doing it? Call them on their bullshit.

This is just a big string of opening statements. Everyone is getting a sound bite in. The shitshow will start after these are done I’m assuming.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Biggs saying that Trump didn't submit evidence because he couldn't because no hearing was scheduled to present the evidence he was withholding.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Have we really reached the “We aren’t abusing power you are!” phase of the death of democracy?

Please don’t answer that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Impeachment Thread: The President is the smoking gun

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SubG posted:

Impeachment Thread: The President is the smoking gun

"Thw smoking gun is being reloaded." Jaypal reppin Washington!!! Whoo!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I love how it's a standard Republican defensive move to engage in a lengthy recitation of the allegations against Trump.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SubG posted:

Impeachment Thread: The President is the smocking gun

ftfy

Also:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1204936018908106753?s=20

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

No poo poo.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

That ornery turtle's outwitted us again!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

1glitch0 posted:

No poo poo.

Clickbait BS

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is not expected to hold a vote on a motion to dismiss the impeachment articles against President Trump, but would instead move to a final vote acquitting the President when a majority of senators believe the trial has run its course, two GOP senators told CNN. 

That’s significant because Republicans want to have an actual vote on acquittal — to clear the President of the charges against him — and not simply rely on a 51-vote threshold procedural motion to dismiss the hotly-disputed case.  

The Constitution mandates 67 votes are required to convict the President and remove him from office, a barrier widely considered too high to be reached in this case. 

One vote McConnell can’t rely on is that of Vice President Mike Pence who has “no role in impeachment,” according to an GOP leadership aide, despite being President of the Senate with the mandate to break ties. 

But Pence’s power, which applies to legislation and nominations, doesn’t apply to when the Senate is weighing removing his boss, an obvious conflict of interest since he would ascend to replace Trump if he were removed. Instead, Chief Justice John Roberts would preside at the trial and any tie motions would fail. 

One of the senators, speaking anonymously, said McConnell would not call a vote on the motion to proceed to the impeachment articles unless he knew he had the 51 votes needed to succeed.    

The other senator, John Cornyn of Texas, said it “would make more sense” to move to vote on the actual articles of impeachment — with their 67-vote requirement — than a motion to dismiss and “decide this on a 51-vote threshold, with the potential tie and all the recriminations that would flow from that.”

McConnell hinted at this strategy when he spoke to reporters Tuesday and said the Senate would have two choices after hearing opening arguments from the House impeachment managers and the President’s defense counsel. 

“It could go down the path of calling witnesses and basically having another trial or it could decide — and again, 51 members could make that decision — that they’ve heard enough and believe they know what would happen and could move to vote on the two articles of impeachment,” he said. “Those are the options. Not decisions have been made yet.”

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How do these people think looking at phone records works?

I doubt they realize it’s a bad idea to keep pointing out that Nunes’s phone number was on that list to begin with it.

Also: “They went with abuse of power because they couldn’t prove bribery” so following that logic they can only go with a charge they can prove right? So they can prove abuse of power? Great!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah, Mitch McConnell can get away with a lot of things that the public will never care about, but the headline "Trump Acquitted Without Trial" is not one of them.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/755/text

quote:

RESOLUTION

Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Resolved, That Donald J. Trump, President of the United States, is impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors and that the following articles of impeachment be exhibited to the United States Senate:

Articles of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives of the United States of America in the name of itself and of the people of the United States of America, against Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America, in maintenance and support of its impeachment against him for high crimes and misdemeanors.

ARTICLE I: ABUSE OF POWER

The Constitution provides that the House of Representatives “shall have the sole Power of Impeachment” and that the President “shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”. In his conduct of the office of President of the United States—and in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed—Donald J. Trump has abused the powers of the Presidency, in that:

Using the powers of his high office, President Trump solicited the interference of a foreign government, Ukraine, in the 2020 United States Presidential election. He did so through a scheme or course of conduct that included soliciting the Government of Ukraine to publicly announce investigations that would benefit his reelection, harm the election prospects of a political opponent, and influence the 2020 United States Presidential election to his advantage. President Trump also sought to pressure the Government of Ukraine to take these steps by conditioning official United States Government acts of significant value to Ukraine on its public announcement of the investigations. President Trump engaged in this scheme or course of conduct for corrupt purposes in pursuit of personal political benefit. In so doing, President Trump used the powers of the Presidency in a manner that compromised the national security of the United States and undermined the integrity of the United States democratic process. He thus ignored and injured the interests of the Nation.

President Trump engaged in this scheme or course of conduct through the following means:

(1) President Trump—acting both directly and through his agents within and outside the United States Government—corruptly solicited the Government of Ukraine to publicly announce investigations into—

(A) a political opponent, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.; and

(B) a discredited theory promoted by Russia alleging that Ukraine—rather than Russia—interfered in the 2016 United States Presidential election.

(2) With the same corrupt motives, President Trump—acting both directly and through his agents within and outside the United States Government—conditioned two official acts on the public announcements that he had requested—

(A) the release of $391 million of United States taxpayer funds that Congress had appropriated on a bipartisan basis for the purpose of providing vital military and security assistance to Ukraine to oppose Russian aggression and which President Trump had ordered suspended; and

(B) a head of state meeting at the White House, which the President of Ukraine sought to demonstrate continued United States support for the Government of Ukraine in the face of Russian aggression.

(3) Faced with the public revelation of his actions, President Trump ultimately released the military and security assistance to the Government of Ukraine, but has persisted in openly and corruptly urging and soliciting Ukraine to undertake investigations for his personal political benefit.

These actions were consistent with President Trump’s previous invitations of foreign interference in United States elections.

In all of this, President Trump abused the powers of the Presidency by ignoring and injuring national security and other vital national interests to obtain an improper personal political benefit. He has also betrayed the Nation by abusing his high office to enlist a foreign power in corrupting democratic elections.

Wherefore President Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law. President Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

ARTICLE II: OBSTRUCTION OF CONGRESS

The Constitution provides that the House of Representatives “shall have the sole Power of Impeachment” and that the President “shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”. In his conduct of the office of President of the United States—and in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed—Donald J. Trump has directed the unprecedented, categorical, and indiscriminate defiance of subpoenas issued by the House of Representatives pursuant to its “sole Power of Impeachment”. President Trump has abused the powers of the Presidency in a manner offensive to, and subversive of, the Constitution, in that:

The House of Representatives has engaged in an impeachment inquiry focused on President Trump’s corrupt solicitation of the Government of Ukraine to interfere in the 2020 United States Presidential election. As part of this impeachment inquiry, the Committees undertaking the investigation served subpoenas seeking documents and testimony deemed vital to the inquiry from various Executive Branch agencies and offices, and current and former officials.

In response, without lawful cause or excuse, President Trump directed Executive Branch agencies, offices, and officials not to comply with those subpoenas. President Trump thus interposed the powers of the Presidency against the lawful subpoenas of the House of Representatives, and assumed to himself functions and judgments necessary to the exercise of the “sole Power of Impeachment” vested by the Constitution in the House of Representatives.

President Trump abused the powers of his high office through the following means:

(1) Directing the White House to defy a lawful subpoena by withholding the production of documents sought therein by the Committees.

(2) Directing other Executive Branch agencies and offices to defy lawful subpoenas and withhold the production of documents and records from the Committees—in response to which the Department of State, Office of Management and Budget, Department of Energy, and Department of Defense refused to produce a single document or record.

(3) Directing current and former Executive Branch officials not to cooperate with the Committees—in response to which nine Administration officials defied subpoenas for testimony, namely John Michael “Mick” Mulvaney, Robert B. Blair, John A. Eisenberg, Michael Ellis, Preston Wells Griffith, Russell T. Vought, Michael Duffey, Brian McCormack, and T. Ulrich Brechbuhl.

These actions were consistent with President Trump’s previous efforts to undermine United States Government investigations into foreign interference in United States elections.

Through these actions, President Trump sought to arrogate to himself the right to determine the propriety, scope, and nature of an impeachment inquiry into his own conduct, as well as the unilateral prerogative to deny any and all information to the House of Representatives in the exercise of its “sole Power of Impeachment”. In the history of the Republic, no President has ever ordered the complete defiance of an impeachment inquiry or sought to obstruct and impede so comprehensively the ability of the House of Representatives to investigate “high Crimes and Misdemeanors”. This abuse of office served to cover up the President’s own repeated misconduct and to seize and control the power of impeachment—and thus to nullify a vital constitutional safeguard vested solely in the House of Representatives.

In all of this, President Trump has acted in a manner contrary to his trust as President and subversive of constitutional government, to the great prejudice of the cause of law and justice, and to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.

Wherefore, President Trump, by such conduct, has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to the Constitution if allowed to remain in office, and has acted in a manner grossly incompatible with self-governance and the rule of law. President Trump thus warrants impeachment and trial, removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the United States.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's really something that Republicans are going with the line that obstruction and abuse of power aren't impeachable because they're not identically bribery or treason. That's some serious Clarence Thomas level of originalism-as-semantic-pedantry crazy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

SubG posted:

It's really something that Republicans are going with the line that obstruction and abuse of power aren't impeachable because they're not identically bribery or treason. That's some serious Clarence Thomas level of originalism-as-semantic-pedantry crazy.

When you have the facts on your side, you argue the facts.
When you have emotion on your side, you argue emotion.

When neither facts nor emotion are on your side, you pound the table and yell a lot.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I always thought that members of Congress would be really impressive speakers. This could be the defining moment of many of their careers, and instead they just read from a script with less eloquence than a high school graduation speech.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Recess time until tomorrow.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

PopetasticPerson posted:

People forget that how long the trial lasts will have a big impact on the 2020 primary. Sanders and Warren are going to be stuck in Washington for the duration of the trial and won't be able to campaign in the early states. So a longer trial with more witnesses and testimony benefits Biden. If you accept that Biden is more electable and is a bigger threat to Trump, then it's to the Republican's advantage to shorten the trial as much as possible to give Sanders and Warren a better chance at upsetting him. Since conviction in the Senate is essentially impossible already, that and saving seats ought to be the Republican's priority in how the trial plays out.

Other than that the Senate trial may get full media coverage and your favorite Senator may get some good national air time out of it too, which the other guy will not.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Smeef posted:

I always thought that members of Congress would be really impressive speakers. This could be the defining moment of many of their careers, and instead they just read from a script with less eloquence than a high school graduation speech.

Our heroes in congress are us, hopefully.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1204923073021063169

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1204786674217242625

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Smeef posted:

I suspect it's always been the case. People add narrative structure and dramatise the telling of history, especially political history, which would probably seem very dry and mundane if every speech or hearing were recounted exactly how it was.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SubG posted:

Woah, Ratcliffe leading by putting his head completely up his rear end and arguing that obstruction and abuse of power aren't impeachable offenses.

That's going to be the majority Senate GOP opinion less than a month from now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I cannot listen to this loving perpetually exasperated hick.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I got so excited hearing them say his name with the word impeachment so officially

Donald John Trump

You know it's bad when the middle name comes out

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I got so excited hearing them say his name with the word impeachment so officially

Donald John Trump

You know it's bad when the middle name comes out

And Collins complained about that too, lol.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ugh Jordan grandstanding to overwrite the first article with THE FAX

loving weasel

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mdemone posted:

That's going to be the majority Senate GOP opinion less than a month from now.

They're following the "Authoritarianism For Dummies" playbook real closely because of the demented cheeto-in-chief, so this is pretty inevitable. Try not to be surprised when all the "radical left extremist Democrats" rhetoric morphs in to calling to jail all political opposition.

*Holds earpiece for a few seconds*

I am told that we now need to, quote, "Lock her up."

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

God what a whiny gently caress...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I am so loving tired of this whining and crocodile tears. gently caress you Karen, you aren’t being abused, you hitched yourself to Trump and this is what you get.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

This is quite the gaslight from Debbie Lesko (R) :supaburn:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

if you throw out all the evidence then there wasn't any evidence

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Rep. Neguse has a light whiff of a Schiffy vibe with his speaking, I like him.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

"These hearings were secret... so nothing could be told about them"... yeah, good point there GOP pig farmer #12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Anyone got an answer as to why everyone is moving to strike the last word? Seems like they do that, then they get 5 minutes to make a speech. What sort of parliamentary trick is this?