Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

How exactly do windows licenses work now w/r/t moving a hard drive with activated windows 10 on it into completely new hardware? I've heard mixed and contradictory reports as to whether everything will activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

poverty goat posted:

How exactly do windows licenses work now w/r/t moving a hard drive with activated windows 10 on it into completely new hardware? I've heard mixed and contradictory reports as to whether everything will activate.

It's tied to your Microsoft account. Worst case scenario you have to call Microsoft.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows activates using a hash value of your system stored on the MS servers (independent of any account). Windows won't be activated on new hardware.

Link your license to an MS account in Settings. Then, on your new computer (after installing the drive), run the activation troubleshooter to transfer your license.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

1. powercfg / sleepstudy will make a html doc with info about sleep & wake events. (Needs admin cmd prompt to run, saves the html wherever you run it from.)

2. I think 1909 made it so that this setting:

is now effective at stopping the updates task from waking the system. (Previously update orchestrator got to override that and the only way to stop wakes in the middle of the night was forcefully overwriting the task.)

The update task is *supposed* to put the PC back to sleep when it's done. On my laptop the sleepstudy shows this working fine, it's awake for like 2 minutes and then goes back to sleep.

Thank you for the information. I hope it'll work. I've had problems with my computer waking up in the middle of the night lately (for about few weeks now). The issue in my case is that since the computer boots up in linux by default, it never has the chance of turning itself off. Since I boot windows probably around 20-ish times per year, the update status of the OS is not that relevant to me, although i do click "check for updates" whenever I do boot it out of habit. But this wake up thingy is quite irritating (disabled everything BIOS, disabled everything in the task scheduler that I could, still no dice).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My PC has been working non-stop for like half a year now because it keeps waking up from sleep for no reason and I can't bend bothered to close everything and shut down. I tried once to track down the source of the wakes but maybe this will actually help finally...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

mobby_6kl posted:

My PC has been working non-stop for like half a year now because it keeps waking up from sleep for no reason and I can't bend bothered to close everything and shut down. I tried once to track down the source of the wakes but maybe this will actually help finally...

:stonk:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i've been telling my kids off lately for leaving their pc on since i upgraded it.

uhh. i better go check that setting huh.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If they properly shut down the PC, it won't turn on automatically.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

before i upgraded it, booting was slow as poo poo. so putting it in sleep is the ingrained habit i think.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mind's running 24/7 as it's my media server.

I only use the media server a few days a month.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Also in the never shutdown camp. As well as my R710 salvage.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Windows update just wrecked my Office install (at work).

Im the one that has to fix it, so whatever, but I have less and less faith in Windows updates (again). Which sucks, because about a year ago I was telling everyone how it was great that unlike the old days everything pretty much just works.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FRINGE posted:

Windows update just wrecked my Office install (at work).

Im the one that has to fix it, so whatever, but I have less and less faith in Windows updates (again). Which sucks, because about a year ago I was telling everyone how it was great that unlike the old days everything pretty much just works.

What happened?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My subdivision has an optional HOA for plowing, mowing the common areas, etc. I'm looking for software that can track dues and bills and allow visibility online to where we're at. Googling finds a billion different options, but wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with a good piece of software/app/site for this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's a good alternative to TeamViewer? It triggered commercial use detection for no reason, and the sing and dance around it is annoying. The Android app is pretty usable, so I'm looking for something similar.

While I have an always-on VPN to my home network, RDP doesn't count, since it fucks up my desktop and window positions and sizes every login.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
AnyDesk https://anydesk.com/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've been using DWService and it's been ok so far.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AnyDesk seems nice. Allows for direct IP connections, too.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Combat Pretzel posted:

AnyDesk seems nice. Allows for direct IP connections, too.

Anydesk is great, but my copy randomly holds down a button at times. If you get that as a bug, just hit the windows key a few times and it'll reset.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Not even sure what to google to figure this out. I got a new cell number few months ago and it obviously belonged to a Ms Cathy Jackson (I didn't use her real name) , since I keep getting spam calls for her.

Last week I got a new personal laptop, and at the setup screen keyed in the information I could remember about the outlook account I had set up years ago. I added my cell when it asked.

Apparently just adding this cell linked my entire windows account to Cathy Jackson. Her onedrive account linked to my new laptop, and I can see her medication list. Skype signed me in as Cathy Jackson. Her credit card was saved in Internet Explorer. I see her face on my profile.

How the gently caress did this happen, how do I fix this, and who can I talk to to make sure this poo poo never happens to anyone else ever again.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You can't. You are now Cathy Jackson. Welcome to your new life.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Alternatively, you're actually in a Christmas movie where her soul has transferred into your laptop and you need to let her say goodbye to her family by driving it to them through a blizzard.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Netplwiz is still around if it will help you. It's the proper no BS users control panel. Also accessible with "Control userpasswords2"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I would contact Cathy, then a lawyer, then microsoft to tell them you're going to the media about it, then you and Cathy can profit from Microsoft hush money.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

935 posted:

Not even sure what to google to figure this out. I got a new cell number few months ago and it obviously belonged to a Ms Cathy Jackson (I didn't use her real name) , since I keep getting spam calls for her.

Last week I got a new personal laptop, and at the setup screen keyed in the information I could remember about the outlook account I had set up years ago. I added my cell when it asked.

Apparently just adding this cell linked my entire windows account to Cathy Jackson. Her onedrive account linked to my new laptop, and I can see her medication list. Skype signed me in as Cathy Jackson. Her credit card was saved in Internet Explorer. I see her face on my profile.

How the gently caress did this happen, how do I fix this, and who can I talk to to make sure this poo poo never happens to anyone else ever again.

jesus christ microsoft

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

935 posted:

This is pretty drat amazing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Fight Club remake is looking pretty good

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

935 posted:

Welcome to the new, friendly, release first, test never Microsoft. gently caress that's bad.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Alternatively, you're actually in a Christmas movie where her soul has transferred into your laptop and you need to let her say goodbye to her family by driving it to them through a blizzard.

This is obviously what's happening.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

935 posted:

Ahahahaha

If only this had happened after a previous page of 'I don't know what everyone has against ms accounts iTs NoT lIkE tHeY dOnT hAve yoUr iNfO aNy WaY!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bobua posted:

Ahahahaha

If only this had happened after a previous page of 'I don't know what everyone has against ms accounts iTs NoT lIkE tHeY dOnT hAve yoUr iNfO aNy WaY!
That was just me in the other thread. And I'll happily concede here that this a very good example of something hosed up that would have been avoided if either party had not used a Microsoft account. It's not a failure mode that I had imagined and egg on my face for that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:stare:

You should probably submit this for a potential bug bounty ASAP https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/msrc/bounty It might not even qualify under one of their defined categories but gently caress it, I'd do it anyway.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i added my MS account and it auto-added the person i have as my XBL buddy as an authorized email user lol

i see the logic, i do not see how it was at all advisable to do that unprompted

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Sirotan posted:

:stare:

You should probably submit this for a potential bug bounty ASAP https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/msrc/bounty It might not even qualify under one of their defined categories but gently caress it, I'd do it anyway.

Thanks, I filed a bug report since the guy in the Windows support chat suggested I just email her to get her attention. So I did that and also wrote this sweet old lady a letter because I have her home address

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

935 posted:

Thanks, I filed a bug report since the guy in the Windows support chat suggested I just email her to get her attention. So I did that and also wrote this sweet old lady a letter because I have her home address

She's gonna read the letter and accuse you of hacking her.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

935 posted:

Sign up for twitter and post it there, then drop a link to the tweet here. Hopefully it blows up. Social media support is the only one that has any ability to escalate issues any more.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I wonder what % of twitters user base either only uses windows at work or not at all

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is this the place to ask? what 3rd party program do people use for image viewing? from searching online it seems even irfanview official dl links have malware/viruses

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Relin posted:

is this the place to ask? what 3rd party program do people use for image viewing? from searching online it seems even irfanview official dl links have malware/viruses

I installed irfanview via patchmypc.exe. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm using the Windows 10 default app and missing the one from Windows 8 and before. The new one seems slow to render the images.