Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Tirade posted:

I remember watching this through to the end, I thought it was fun and inoffensive if a little cheesy for the first season or two, but it was aggressively bad by the end of the series.

There was a scene in the final season from the future or something with vampires in control of Britain and it had some obnoxiously heavy-handed allusions to the vampire regime bring Nazis. As in "just finished filming a different show set in Nazi Germany, let's not let these props go to waste"-level bad:

just awful

I saw this picture before reading the explanation and all I could wonder was how they did a Nazi version of the Greatest American Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Tirade posted:

I remember watching this through to the end, I thought it was fun and inoffensive if a little cheesy for the first season or two, but it was aggressively bad by the end of the series.

There was a scene in the final season from the future or something with vampires in control of Britain and it had some obnoxiously heavy-handed allusions to the vampire regime bring Nazis. As in "just finished filming a different show set in Nazi Germany, let's not let these props go to waste"-level bad:

just awful

Yeah, the UK series becomes loving horrid and goes so far up its own rear end, maybe that's what the other poster was talking about with the WoD vibes since you could only pull that off with Viscissitude.

The US show, honestly, is actually pretty good. Give it a shot, it hits the same sort of notes early on but then really rapidly gets really dark and kinda zeroes in on what you would expect a show called "Being Human" to be about, namely what is it that humanizes us, is redemption possible on any level, what are the limits of personal responsibility for others' actions, etc. It's not award winning drama by any stretch, but it's not a hot garbage fire like the last two series of the UK show.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, the UK series becomes loving horrid and goes so far up its own rear end, maybe that's what the other poster was talking about with the WoD vibes since you could only pull that off with Viscissitude.

The US show, honestly, is actually pretty good. Give it a shot, it hits the same sort of notes early on but then really rapidly gets really dark and kinda zeroes in on what you would expect a show called "Being Human" to be about, namely what is it that humanizes us, is redemption possible on any level, what are the limits of personal responsibility for others' actions, etc. It's not award winning drama by any stretch, but it's not a hot garbage fire like the last two series of the UK show.

I remember watching the first season on SyFy a million years ago, what streaming services is it on nowadays? I know they stripped a lot of their shows from streaming services in favor of streaming themselves with verification of a cable TV subscription.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pope Guilty posted:

Supernatural is like somebody running a Hunter: the Vigil campaign, and then a few sessions in he starts reading Hellblazer and gets WAY into it.

.... drat maybe I should give supernatural a try finally

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's kinda funny people are seeing my post as being anti-nWoD in some way. You sincerely could not be wrong. I am 100% pro-nVamp over oVamp, and nWoD over oWoD in general. Vampire was better because it was about vampires being vampires and dealing with being a vampire. oWoD abandoned the whole "be a vampire" thing real early on.

Like, you kinda prove me right with massive long posts about all the lore, because who gives a poo poo, I'm here to actually play the game, not read a lore book on the shitter.

"Without the lore you're just a bunch of blood drinking assholes"

What do you think vampires are?

That's the thing-being a vampire in oWoD is much more than just some blood drinking rear end in a top hat. nWoD feels bland in comparison. There's nothing to recommend it over any other setting-you could basically just run it as any other modernish setting with the caveat that your guys are forbidden from going out during the day (although I seem to recall that there was some nWoD that could even do that?). There's nothing particularly vampire-y about it. Nor are there really any hooks. And as for all the lore, in oWoD you could take or leave as much of it as you felt necessary. nWoD is definitely cleaned up mechanically, but it's otherwise kinda hollow, and the mechanics aren't great enough to recommend it on it's own merits.

Zephro posted:

Personally I'm totally fine with this in the context of an immersive sim (as long as it follows logically from something like an insult or whatever)

Yeah, I think as long as people know going in that you can face death from your political choices or whatever I think it's fine. And I'm also not even saying it's easy or possible, just that it would be nice to have some more political intrigues actually available. I think Bloodlines did a pretty good job showing the strangeness of oWoD and the atmosphere, but the actual gameplay still largely is just beat everything up, which I don't think is really the point of Vampire.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Zaphod42 posted:

Seasons 1-5 tell a complete story and are pretty good overall; after that, your mileage may vary.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Zaphod42 posted:

Look up a guide to which season 1 episodes to skip unless you've got terminal Supernatural TV Procedural Show brain.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Season 1 had some of the best "horror" style episodes, though.

Seasons 1-5 are all amazing. 6 (I think?) drops off and it's weird, then there's some ups and downs with 7 being good but 8 being just okay, 9 is where it picks back up and gains steam again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alansmithee posted:

There's nothing to recommend it over any other setting-you could basically just run it as any other modernish setting with the caveat that your guys are forbidden from going out during the day (although I seem to recall that there was some nWoD that could even do that?). There's nothing particularly vampire-y about it. Nor are there really any hooks. And as for all the lore, in oWoD you could take or leave as much of it as you felt necessary. nWoD is definitely cleaned up mechanically, but it's otherwise kinda hollow, and the mechanics aren't great enough to recommend it on it's own merits.

Yeah, the "coils of the dragon" was linked to Dracula and would let you cosplay as a Blade daywalker or lower your weakness to fire or your thirst, basically walk back some of the vampire weaknesses. I don't know anybody who ever actually used them though they're pretty prohibitively expensive and only slightly mitigate the effects, you still can't just walk around in broad daylight all day like a human. Its more like Cass from Preacher where you can hide under a poncho with sunglasses and temporarily walk around for a few minutes without instantly catching fire. Not really all that great, you still burn after awhile.

I dunno I see where you're coming from but I dont' think "there's nothing vampire about it, nor are there really any hooks" holds up. There's nothing stopping you from doing 99% of the same things you'd do in oWoD. The same styles of stories work just as well. Maybe there's slightly less material existent in the world for you to draw on for those particular stories, but... its roleplaying. You add things. You create characters. That's how it works??

I poo poo on D&D 4th over 3rd because mechanically it sucks. But I can't imagine going like "Well, 5th D&D makes good sense mechanically but I can't stand the setting". Just change anything about the setting you don't like?

Not that I think anybody needs to play V:TR. V:TM 20th seems like the way to go now. Just sayin'.

I'm with ProfessorCirno on this one.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah to the person dogging on Requiem: the bloodlines thread probably isn't the place to edition war in favor of Requiem but just know I am prepared to fight to the death about how wrong you are about it.

That being said still love Masquerade enough to play a videogame set in it.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 9, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If the lack of lore in nWoD really bothers you that much then just take all the oWoD lore and shove it into nWoD.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tirade posted:

ah, the sherlock special

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

If the lack of lore in nWoD really bothers you that much then just take all the oWoD lore and shove it into nWoD.

If the lack of lore bothers someone, they haven't read the clanbooks and therefore are idiots.

Mendrian posted:

Yeah to the person dogging on Requiem: the bloodlines thread probably isn't the place to edition war in favor of Requiem but just know I am prepared to fight to the death about how wrong you are about it.

That being said still love Masquerade enough to play a videogame set in it.

Hell yeah, same

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The grimdark lore is the best part of World of Darkness, especially the cringey bits. I'm glad our lovely world isn't THAT bad.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So it's not Bloodlines yet, but today is the relase of Vampire the Masquerade - Coteries of New York for a price as of yet unannounced (!).

It looks like a small-ish narrative RPG by a small, fly-by-night (uh-oh) Polish studio. Hard to get very excited but you could see it as a bellwether for the degree of quality Paradox is demanding of its licensees in this new coming crop of games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TTBF posted:

For me it's less that the lore is lacking and more that outside of a few covenants and bloodlines a lot of the lore is just boring and sucks, but that's entirely a subjective judgment. OWoD had a lot of trash lore, too, but the underlying Cainite Heresy premise was always an entertaining core plot hook, even if generation and its mechanics were totally stupid and imbalanced.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kuiperdolin posted:

So it's not Bloodlines yet, but today is the relase of Vampire the Masquerade - Coteries of New York for a price as of yet unannounced (!).

It looks like a small-ish narrative RPG by a small, fly-by-night (uh-oh) Polish studio. Hard to get very excited but you could see it as a bellwether for the degree of quality Paradox is demanding of its licensees in this new coming crop of games.

So it's released and we don't know how much it costs, or...am I missing something? Can I purchase this thing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chaosapiant posted:

So it's released and we don't know how much it costs, or...am I missing something? Can I purchase this thing?
It's not out for another hour or so.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

alansmithee posted:

Yeah, I think as long as people know going in that you can face death from your political choices or whatever I think it's fine. And I'm also not even saying it's easy or possible, just that it would be nice to have some more political intrigues actually available. I think Bloodlines did a pretty good job showing the strangeness of oWoD and the atmosphere, but the actual gameplay still largely is just beat everything up, which I don't think is really the point of Vampire.
Best of all, of course, and peak immersive sim, is that the guy tries to kill you for giving him poo poo but if you are a big enough badass you can actually fight back and win and the game will carry on just fine and even reflect that decision later on (like saving Paul in Deus Ex).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

alansmithee posted:

Yeah, I think as long as people know going in that you can face death from your political choices or whatever I think it's fine. And I'm also not even saying it's easy or possible, just that it would be nice to have some more political intrigues actually available.
I would play the hell out of a vampiric version of Long Live The Queen.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

Looks like it's regular price $19.99 USD, on sale for $17.99 USD.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's also been out for an hour and folks already have the cheevo for reaching the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not to restart the fight, but the lore in Requiem is actually super good? And there's a ton of it?

I have the entire 1E gameline and I love it's more John Carpenter-atmosphere over the Anne Rice one of the oWoD. Personal taste and all that. :shrug:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s pretty much 100% down to taste. You either like oWoD’s insane madness and over the top 90’s insanity, or you have no taste.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s pretty much 100% down to taste. You either like oWoD’s insane madness and over the top 90’s insanity, or you have no taste.

Again, this is real dumb. If there's some "taste" about oWoD that you like, you can do it in nWoD. There is no "insane madness" unique to oWoD which cannot work in nWoD.

The whole argument is a joke.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

I like oWoD.

But I looove nWoD.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The good news is Brian Mitsoda gives no fucks and Caine should have been cannon in Bloodlines.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not to restart the fight, but the lore in Requiem is actually super good? And there's a ton of it?

I have the entire 1E gameline and I love it's more John Carpenter-atmosphere over the Anne Rice one of the oWoD. Personal taste and all that. :shrug:

Soonmot posted:

If the lack of lore bothers someone, they haven't read the clanbooks and therefore are idiots.

VtR has a John Carpenter atmosphere? I'm down. I read the corebook maybe ten years ago and then went back to my ongoing oWoD game, never really dug deeper into anything nWoD. What specific recommendations can you give me to get a feel for VtR/nWoD lore?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vavrek posted:

VtR has a John Carpenter atmosphere? I'm down. I read the corebook maybe ten years ago and then went back to my ongoing oWoD game, never really dug deeper into anything nWoD. What specific recommendations can you give me to get a feel for VtR/nWoD lore?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899775&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I have listings for the best books in the game lines under each section

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Basically, one of the cool things you put together is that there isn't a single cannot origin myth. Vampires are a kind of mystical convergent evolution of blooddrinkers

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Trip report: tried out CoNY and so far it’s a better-than-usual visual novel that nails the atmosphere. Rolled up a Toreador and so far everyone around me is a pretentious a-hole, 5/5 would luvvie it up again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Vavrek posted:

That's basically my feel of it. The nWoD in general really has that Prince of Darkness/The Thing flair where there's a ton of horrible things out there and none of it will ever make sense. And Vampires really aren't immune to it.

If you cna find a copy of the Requiem novel(s) by Greg Stolze you'll get a pretty good idea of Requiem specifically. A Hunger like Fire follows a father transformed into a vampire and finding himself stuck in the nasty world fo Requiem Chicago, and it's pretty drat good. I read it years ago though, I might be wrong. The Clanbooks are also pretty drat great.

Another top-notch book for giving you a feel of the nWoD is The Horror Recognition Guide. It's the in-character writings of a group of Hunters and their encounters with the supernatural, before they mysteriously vanished. Some of the things in there can be identified from the various nWoD games, but not all of them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Again, this is real dumb. If there's some "taste" about oWoD that you like, you can do it in nWoD. There is no "insane madness" unique to oWoD which cannot work in nWoD.

The whole argument is a joke.

It was written tongue in cheek. It doesn’t matter, at all, which pretendy vampire line you prefer and the argument is pointless. Nobody is mad you like a different game, or if they are then they absolutely do not matter.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Werewolf's metaplot is a lot more interesting in Forsaken, too. Ghost busters beats eco-terrorists.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

VtM, MtA, KotE, and Wraith (the latter two tying together extremely heavily) were the only good oWoD lines and literally everything else was better done in nWoD. And the only reason Mage makes the list is because the Technocracy was amazing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lassitude posted:

Werewolf's metaplot is a lot more interesting in Forsaken, too. Ghost busters beats eco-terrorists.

The Spirit Hosts and the Bale Hounds are such good antagonists. Predators and Blasphemies were such good books.

Shadows over the UK was also pretty great, with it's weirdly religious Rat Hosts and all the vampires of London getting murdered every hundred year and Glasgow's "Other City".

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm impressed so far by this Coteries of New York, especially the writing of the Malk.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

:captainpop:

What's this from?

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hope the Malkavian is a genuinely interesting character.