Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DrDork posted:

Does it have to be 14"? Because if it can slide up to a real trim 15", the X1E2 is pretty much exactly that: 3.5lbs business-class machine with a 1650 and solid thermals / performance for what it is.

I think it does since I'm using the XPS 15 I'm writing this on as a basis for comparison. I'm unfortunately all too aware of your machine lol. Probably should have grabbed it to begin with. The size difference between my Dell 13, 14, and 15 inch laptops is actually pretty considerable as it pertains to usability and portability.

Latitude 7490 is significantly smaller in the directions i need it to be smaller in than the x1e2 and I would say that future purchases need to be closer to that size than the x1e2 and xps15.

Also, while the x1e2 is lighter than the xps 15 (moot) it would actually be larger based on the results of googling for dimensions of each model

Basically the thing I want doesn't exist yet, but its actually about to which is cool.

Worf fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

DrDork posted:

Does it have to be 14"? Because if it can slide up to a real trim 15", the X1E2 is pretty much exactly that: 3.5lbs business-class machine with a 1650 and solid thermals / performance for what it is.

:monocle:

I had almost forgotten about the X1 Extreme. It looked great at the time, but I wasn't really in the market for a new laptop. I didn't even know they released a second generation! I think I may have found my new laptop.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Statutory Ape posted:

Latitude 7490 is significantly smaller in the directions i need it to be smaller in than the x1e2 and I would say that future purchases need to be closer to that size than the x1e2 and xps15.

I have a 7390, and yeah, 13" is certainly notably smaller and more portable. If you've got a XPS 15 and find it to be too big, you're right that the X1E isn't gonna be any better.

mekyabetsu posted:

:monocle:

I had almost forgotten about the X1 Extreme. It looked great at the time, but I wasn't really in the market for a new laptop. I didn't even know they released a second generation! I think I may have found my new laptop.

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic! Super light, very good battery life (though not quite as good as the XPS 15), good keyboard, great build quality, good performance, etc. The only downsides are that it's kinda expensive considering the specs if you don't need it to be that light, and it gimps itself a little by not allowing the fan to kick up too high and by not enabling XMP for the RAM. Also don't buy the base screen--the 500 nit one is like an extra $60 and well worth it.

It's a great little machine if you want to do light to moderate gaming while not looking like a tosser when you bring it to work.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrDork posted:

I have a 7390, and yeah, 13" is certainly notably smaller and more portable. If you've got a XPS 15 and find it to be too big, you're right that the X1E isn't gonna be any better.

Yeah, it's pretty fantastic! Super light, very good battery life (though not quite as good as the XPS 15), good keyboard, great build quality, good performance, etc. The only downsides are that it's kinda expensive considering the specs if you don't need it to be that light, and it gimps itself a little by not allowing the fan to kick up too high and by not enabling XMP for the RAM. Also don't buy the base screen--the 500 nit one is like an extra $60 and well worth it.

It's a great little machine if you want to do light to moderate gaming while not looking like a tosser when you bring it to work.

The Gen 2 X1E Extreme also did have some performance upgrades such as going with a 1650 GPU Max Q.

It's more than adequate for gaming assuming you don't go about High / 1080p resolution for games.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 9, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

etalian posted:

The Gen 2 X1E Extreme also did have some performance upgrades such as going with a 1650 GPU Max Q.

Its main competitor is the XPS 15, which also has the 1650 MaxQ. But you're right that it's a notable upgrade over the 1050 in the Gen 1.

Honestly I've gotten good gaming performance out of it even at high/1080p as long as I'm playing some older games. Destiny 2, for example, runs at 50+ FPS as long as I'm not stupid with the settings.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

DrDork posted:

I could have just replaced my original post with this and saved myself a lot of time. Honestly, right now, I kinda just want to be able to play Diablo 3 at max settings and, when it comes out, Diablo 4 at mid-to-high settings. A 1650 should be able to pull that off, right?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm playing call of duty on mine at work :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DrDork posted:

Its main competitor is the XPS 15, which also has the 1650 MaxQ. But you're right that it's a notable upgrade over the 1050 in the Gen 1.

Honestly I've gotten good gaming performance out of it even at high/1080p as long as I'm playing some older games. Destiny 2, for example, runs at 50+ FPS as long as I'm not stupid with the settings.

Yeah it's all about realistic expectations, don't expect all in one slim laptops like Dell XPS 15 to handle things like 4K resolution at Ultra settings.

Of course for laptops like the X1E the 4K version tends to have the nicest panel quality even though it's not really that practical.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Well, at 15" 4k is a reasonable option for people who want things to be super sharp or want it to compare well with a MBP. Gaming is still easy since you can just render at 1080p and upscale from there--but you're absolutely not doing 4k native on a 1650 unless it's some indy sprite game or whatnot. The OLED is amazing, but I couldn't justify the price combined with what it does to the battery life. I'm sure people are buying it, though, since not everyone cares if their laptop lasts 8 hours on battery.

Honestly my only real gripes with it are the lack of XMP support and that I feel it really could get another 10-20% easy out of the GPU if it let the fans run higher. But either way, it meets my needs for now, and it's still super light and durable as hell for an ultralight, which is pretty helpful for me. Also built in smart card reader for all my government friends!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think on both the x1e2 and xps15 7590 the 1080p non touch panel is 500 nits. That was part of my decision for that, as well as battery improvements vs 4k and losing the weight from the glass screen is an added bonus.

I don't need 500 nits inside but I figured it might be neat outside

The panel in my 7590 is probably the nicest 1080p panel I've ever used, for whatever that means to anybody. I like it because I'm confident that I'll have a very effective display for many hours.

If I could get higher pixel density and keep the battery life I sure as heck would though. Practically this is just fine...preferentially, well, I run my xps13 qhd+ at native with no scaling so lol

E: also drdork at least I don't think the grass is any greener on my side here with the fan situation. I haven't tried on the xps15 that I remember but afaik Dell has locked fans down on all my other models

That being said I would be willing to wager the 7590 is more performant just on formfactor/thermals alone. I find it an extremely capable gamer , playing current gen AAA FPS titles on graphics settings that look good and run at 60fps steady. Somebody a post or 2 up mentioned realistic expectations and that's important as well as a realistic understanding that 15 inches at 1080p and a few feet away probably means you don't need SMAAx 4.20 and your textures and shadows on ultra.

Tbh since these aren't gaming screens , in a fast moving game if you rendered it at 75% resolution I dare you to notice lol

Worf fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 10, 2019

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey everyone.

In the market for an all-rounder; I've got a desktop set up at home which will be seeing most use, but I want to have something I can take with me and get some stuff done on if I need to.

I log into a VDI when I do remote work, but I'll probably be doing some coding of my own and the usual browsing/media/light gaming. I'd want to run FF14 on it (not expecting 60fps at max everything, but not barely 30 at 320p either) anything else, game-wise, is just a bonus.

I was thinking 14-15", 1080p and... that's about it.

Thanks!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm looking for a new laptop for a relative that's going to be used mostly for office and occasional browsing/youtube. It won't get moved around much if ever (so I don't think battery life or weight are super important, but I'd still prefer something that won't fall apart) but it gets used in a space where a desktop wouldn't work very well. I've suggested chromebooks but that sounds like a no-go so I'm looking for some reasonably-priced options (in Canada).

I picked up a Lenovo 14w (A6-9220C, 14" 1080p screen, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC) for C$169 and for the price it seems solid, probably fine for their use case, but I think I'd rather get them something better now rather than have to replace this again before too long.

So far I've found a few options for ~C$500:

Lenovo IdeaPad S340 (Ryzen 3 3200U, 15.6" 1080p screen, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD) for C$500
Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (i3-1005G1, 15.6" 1080p screen, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB NVMe) for C$480
Acer Aspire 3 (Ryzen R5 3500U, 15.6" 1080p screen, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) for C$500

Any suggestions here? The Acer seems like the best option to me specs-wise so I'm leaning that way but if the build quality or NVMe or not buying from Best Buy might be worth the difference. Other options are welcome too, although I probably don't want to go too much higher in price because of the limited use this thing will see, and I'm not sure there's much lower in price before I'd just stick with the 14w.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey everyone.

In the market for an all-rounder; I've got a desktop set up at home which will be seeing most use, but I want to have something I can take with me and get some stuff done on if I need to.

I log into a VDI when I do remote work, but I'll probably be doing some coding of my own and the usual browsing/media/light gaming. I'd want to run FF14 on it (not expecting 60fps at max everything, but not barely 30 at 320p either) anything else, game-wise, is just a bonus.

I was thinking 14-15", 1080p and... that's about it.

Thanks!

What sort of price point are you looking for, and do you have any requirement for a particular battery life? How weight sensitive are you?

As someone who plays more FFXIV that I'd care to admit, I'll say that the 1650 MaxQ in the X1E2/XPS 15 (and others) is probably what you want to target--it's good enough to get 60FPS with good settings in most situations (maybe turn down effects for 24 mans). An older model with a 1060 would be great, too, but I'd probably say a 1050(ti) might be a bit weak, and they're not much cheaper anyhow.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DrDork posted:

What sort of price point are you looking for, and do you have any requirement for a particular battery life? How weight sensitive are you?

As someone who plays more FFXIV that I'd care to admit, I'll say that the 1650 MaxQ in the X1E2/XPS 15 (and others) is probably what you want to target--it's good enough to get 60FPS with good settings in most situations (maybe turn down effects for 24 mans). An older model with a 1060 would be great, too, but I'd probably say a 1050(ti) might be a bit weak, and they're not much cheaper anyhow.

Woof, ~1650 is quite a bit over what I was expecting tbh. I was eyeballing 800-1000, maybe 1200 for one of those "for 200 bucks more you have double the performance at half the weight" outliers. Shows how little I've been keeping up with notebooks I guess. I may have to rethink my expectations on this. :<

Weight-wise I don't mind a bit of weight but would rather not carry around a piece of rebar. Battery... not sure what's the norm now but I don't think I'll need extended batteries or anything of the sort.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

1650 is the name of the graphics card, not the price...

Laptops with the GTX 1650 are well under $1k these days (possibly as low as $600)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rock My Socks! posted:

1650 is the name of the graphics card, not the price...

Laptops with the GTX 1650 are well under $1k these days (possibly as low as $600)

The first result when googling the XPS15 is 1649 USD, and the E2 was ~1450.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

There’s tons of laptops out there with the 1650 that are less than a grand. MSI has one that’s 800 on amazon. If you bump up to the 1660 that’s still around 1k for a graphics card that packs a lot of oomph.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Edmond Dantes posted:

You're looking at something fairly thin and light for having a 1650 in it, also the XPS line tends to carry a premium because it's well known and generally well made. If you are willing to look at somewhat heavier laptops you can get the price down by a lot.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s tons of laptops out there with the 1650 that are less than a grand. MSI has one that’s 800 on amazon. If you bump up to the 1660 that’s still around 1k for a graphics card that packs a lot of oomph.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You're looking at something fairly thin and light for having a 1650 in it, also the XPS line tends to carry a premium because it's well known and generally well made. If you are willing to look at somewhat heavier laptops you can get the price down by a lot.

Yeah, sorry, just that the prices for the XPS caught me by surprise and my brain just went "oh well so that's the baseline".

I need to start doing some more digging; aside from the 1650 (or 1660 if I see one at a good price), what should I be looking for, processor-wise?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, sorry, just that the prices for the XPS caught me by surprise and my brain just went "oh well so that's the baseline".

I need to start doing some more digging; aside from the 1650 (or 1660 if I see one at a good price), what should I be looking for, processor-wise?

Minimum of 4 cores, so i5/i7 or one of the new Ryzen laptop CPUs. The Ryzen stuff still isn't as good as Intel's stuff but it's fine for what you are looking to do, there are some idle power usage issues so you're going to be giving up some battery life but it might be worth it depending on the price. Other than that I'd aim for 16GB or RAM, a 512GB+ SSD and a 144Hz screen, not for the 144Hz part but because the 144Hz screens tend to be much nicer looking in general than the 60Hz screens, better colors, brightness and so on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Minimum of 4 cores, so i5/i7 or one of the new Ryzen laptop CPUs. The Ryzen stuff still isn't as good as Intel's stuff but it's fine for what you are looking to do, there are some idle power usage issues so you're going to be giving up some battery life but it might be worth it depending on the price. Other than that I'd aim for 16GB or RAM, a 512GB+ SSD and a 144Hz screen, not for the 144Hz part but because the 144Hz screens tend to be much nicer looking in general than the 60Hz screens, better colors, brightness and so on.

16GB of RAM for sure, but a lot of the time you can save a shitload by getting the 8GB laptop and putting another 8GB in it. Ditto for hard drive size, most have 2.5 inch bays open so it’s trivial to drop a hundred dollar 1TB SSD in there instead of paying an extra 100+ for the 512GB NVMe drive.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Specifically, I'd be looking for an i5-9400H or an i7-9750H CPU.

If you don't know what weight you want, I'd go to BestBuy and heft a few and find out. "Thin and lights" like the XPS 15 are about 4.5lbs, while chunkier ones like the Dell G7 are 5.5-6lbs. The X1E is as light as you can go at 3.5lbs. A 1.5-2lbs difference doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but it is immediately noticeable when you go to pick it up.

Just a FYI, no 1660 exists for laptops, it jumps from a 1650 MaxQ straight to a 1660Ti for reasons I've never been able to figure out.

I agree with the rest that you want 16GB RAM, and if you're custom-ordering it you should leave it at 8GB and then add your own 8GB stick for $35 instead of whatever crazy fee the OEM wants.

A 512GB SSD is about the minimum I'd suggest. Depending on the laptop you may need to get that as the factory installed drive, or be able to easily add a second drive or swap your own in. Like RAM, it is almost always massively cheaper to add your own vs upgrade from the OEM.

For screens, >60Hz is real nice, just make sure it's IPS. 300 nits is about the minimum I'd go with, and 400-500 is nice if you tend to use it outside or with a lot of ambient light to fight off.

I'd recommend giving notebookcheck.net a gander for whatever specific model you're looking at, as they do excellent reviews and tests of the screens and general performance.

A few quick recommendations:
Acer Helios 300 is the best performance for the dollar, but iffy quality and corners get cut.
MSI's Prestige line is not very well known, but has a 14" 1650, which is pretty uncommon.
XPS 15 and X1 Extreme have already been mentioned as premium options. If you're looking at anything from Lenovo, go through the B&N Gold link for good discounts.

I'd also hold out maybe another week if you can, as prices right now are "high" as a post-Black Friday, pre-real holiday sales recovery week.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Don't buy a 7590/xps15 but if you must pls buy it refurbed

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In case anyone is wondering, 27watts is the minimum power adapter that the XPS13 2:1 will accept to charge the device and it will warn of slow charging below 45w.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The pair of Aspire 5s showed up and I had time to get them setup and un-gently caress the windows 10 S MODE nonsense. this one, specifically. Surprisingly not particularly awful to use. Huge upgrade from the already-old when we bought them years back refurb netbooks with soldered-on eMMC and no upgradability. The on-chip vega handles minecraft well, which will really make them happy. With a cheap RAM upgrade these should be good for my highschoolers, so thanks for helping me find them, thread, E: Especially Atomizer, who had just reviewed one and pointed me to it.

Harik fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 11, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Talk to me about surface go 8 / 128 to replace my iPad pro. I mainly use it for steam link and browsing or email crap. But windows on a tablet seems fun

I imagine it's trash unplugged yeh?

My elite book is thin enough but I mainly use this at the gym and I don't like to break the company stuff :shrug:

Worf fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 11, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ape, you need to club your autocorrect into submission.

Surface Go is probably dead as a product line. Which is a shame, because I feel like they could have done something, if Intel hadn't shat the bed. Regardless, Microsoft is clearly moving beyond Go to the Neo products that are coming next year and the half-baked, clearly-not-ready-for-prime-time Pro X.

As for the Pro 7, for the month that I had it, it was really nice to have as a secondary device. The standby time is loving superb, and the device intelligently shuts off if you don't touch it for long enough to prevent further drain. Turning back on is brisk and snappy, and if I trusted Windows enough to do facial recognition (and I don't) based on what I've seen from reviews, it's uncharacteristically performant and gets the hell out of your way so you can get to working.

The iGPU is a marked step up from loving HD 960. I would even go so far as to call it "capable of playing esports titles", though not necessarily at high frame rates. My brother will probably use it to play MTGA (and it will be perfectly competent at that) and LoL (and it shouuuuuld? be competent at that) and stream Spotify and work on Google Docs.

If my current "home base" weren't already a laptop, (to summarize: I blame bitcoins for making high-end non-laptop GPUs unaffordable and skewing the math to making a laptop the better price/perf purchase) I'd have been sorely tempted to keep it for myself.

But on the offhand that you meant the Go as in the one with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB storage, it's slightly less-trash because at least the storage is not eMMC. To me, I got the same feeling out of using the Pro X as when I was using the Go: Like the hardware just wasn't there yet, and it could have used one more generational step in tech to become something good.

So yeah, I suppose if it were cheap enough, it would do that well.... I'm not sure that I would want to stream games on it. I have a small size problem with the Go in that it really wears out my shoulders typing on the Go's keyboard, but assuming you don't have shoulders and a chest like a linebacker like I do, it should be fine. Definitely at least as good in tablet mode for browsing and reading while on the stationary bike or whatever.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 11, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I did actually mean the go 8/ 128 tablet yeah. It seemed like it would be an adequate replacement for what I use the ipad pro for. i might try to grab a used one somewhere or sell some piece of tech I dont use to subsidize it.

ipad pro is really nice and i dont mind the OS, i just dont really see any reason to participate in another ecosystem for no real reason

ty for the write up

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
For those asking about the Razer ultrabook, have some Linusposting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKe7KhqEb6s

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Imagine being an adult over 30 who looks like that on purpose.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

mekyabetsu posted:

Post your pic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mekyabetsu posted:

The Virgin Linus vs the Chad Tech Jesus

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think he looks better now than 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBryEqAosKs

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think he looks better now than 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBryEqAosKs

I don't know why he thought looking blurry was a good look.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The United States posted:

For those asking about the Razer ultrabook, have some Linusposting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKe7KhqEb6s

This is the segment of the market I'm interested in. I figure if Razer can stick this in a 13.3" screen, other can do it in a 14" one.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ashrik posted:

This is the segment of the market I'm interested in. I figure if Razer can stick this in a 13.3" screen, other can do it in a 14" one.

I think 14" is my favorite size unfortunately it's uncommon.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah, only 11" here but .. wait, what are we talking about again?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Duck and Cover posted:

yea, ill be keeping an eye on the enterprise models for this reason. dell has a really nice 14 inch (latitude 7490) that i could see them tossing some nice stuff into in the coming years.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
For anyone in the market for a gaming laptop, this seems like ... maybe a lie? [overstockgaming Alienware]. $400 for a 4k, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 15", 2.2GHz i7, Geforce RTX 2070 laptop.
Seems like the killer wireless is its only major problem spec-wise. (Ad said it's a 24 hour deal.)

Edit: removed link due to confirmation below that this is a lie.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

For anyone in the market for a gaming laptop, this seems like ... maybe a lie? overstockgaming Alienware. $400 for a 4k, 16GB, 512GB SSD, 15", 2.2GHz i7, Geforce RTX 2070 laptop.
Seems like the killer wireless is its only major problem spec-wise. (Ad said it's a 24 hour deal.)

The domain was purchased less than a month ago (with whois protection) even though they claim to have been in business for 3 years. 100% a scam.

Here's a Reddit thread with people who have purchased the laptop and gotten "shipping notifications" with no tracking number, claiming they shipped from an address that does not exist
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/e7rzsk/overstockgamingcom_seems_too_good_to_be_true/

Do not give them your credit card number. If you saw this ad on facebook (which is where this seems to be coming from) please report it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 12, 2019