Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I'm looking forward to hearing about what happens in RoS that will retcon and shittify the OT.

Because gently caress if I'm actually paying to see this garbage heap in a theater.

Gimme ALL the spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kazak posted:

I had really high hopes for Rey based on her intro in tfa. She had a good self sufficiency thing going on nottattooine that echoed Luke's farm boyishness while giving her some room to be a different kind of hero in waiting

As soon as she spilled a huge amount of her precious, hard-won quarter portion insta-biscuit powder when making it I knew she was going to disappoint.

She could have made another whole 1/3rd of a biscuit with that mishandled powder! She'd never cut it in the carefully measured and doled out world of say, a subway sandwich franchisee so she'd clearly not amount to much in the annals of the force.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Surprise plot twist Palpatine did in fact have a wife.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kazak posted:

Buy a ticket to CATS and sneak in to ROS. Worst case star wars keeps sucking and we get a CATS cinematic universe

I wanted to do this but all the good theaters here have assigned seating and I fear the cops. Alas but I'm not brave enough to make a stand for the cats cinematic universe

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Dean of Swing posted:

Surprise plot twist Palpatine did in fact have a wife.

Bastila Shan's force ghost.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sheeve and Shephanie Palpatine

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Baby Sheeve

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

So if you buy into the idea that they implied that Palpatine knocked up Anakin's mom with the force does this mean we're getting down with some more incestuous smooching or is it like third cousins and that makes it ok or what.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

You mean when Rey travels back in time pregnant with Kylo's kid, and Kylo Ren becomes his own great-grandpa? Yeah, he's smooching good on great-grandma.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my dog died im sad posted:

That Walrus guy should submit all his posts to fanfiction.net.

But it was LGD making up things that aren't even in the movie, which is more akin to what a fanfic writer does. At least The Walrus was limiting their discussion to what was actually presented on screen

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Infinite Karma posted:

You mean when Rey travels back in time pregnant with Kylo's kid, and Kylo Ren becomes his own great-grandpa? Yeah, he's smooching good on great-grandma.

Also Kylo Ren changes his name to Sheev and lets us know that Snoke was Darth Plagueis.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

But it was LGD making up things that aren't even in the movie, which is more akin to what a fanfic writer does. At least The Walrus was limiting their discussion to what was actually presented on screen

Ok that's probably fair. I just meant the text walls theory crafting the intent of the plot generally, not a specific poster.

And I was, admittedly, unable to finish reading any of those posts, so I trust your assessment.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 12, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Which side of the force lets them do mpreg?

Gumdrop Larry posted:

So if you buy into the idea that they implied that Palpatine knocked up Anakin's mom with the force does this mean we're getting down with some more incestuous smooching or is it like third cousins and that makes it ok or what.

I don't think his genetic material factored into it, that baby was all midichlorian. But that means that all force users are related by midichlorian and any interaction between any two force users is incest.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 12, 2019

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

The Walrus posted:

You don't see a link between Luke in the OT and in this trilogy, for me his change makes complete sense from what we are shown even if we are left to guess at what he was thinking at some specific times. This is fine for me because the movie is not about him, it's about the lasting effects of his failure.

alright, I understand all of your points now, and it makes total sense. you're right, Luke was clearly suffering from addiction problems, it changes people- and what was he addicted to? the most insidious of star drugs: space Walrus milk.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
R2D2 is with child and Jar Jar is the father.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

A weird world where I like the TV show more than whatever is coming in a week plus

Gimme more Amy Sedaris and baby yoda

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/e8tl0v/the_rise_of_skywalker_last_minute_details/

Here is the latest and probably final update containing plot details for the entire movie. Major spoilers, obviously. This is going to be a trainwreck of epic proportions.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The most recent spoil is that the Swedish film review board has leaked the fact that we will hear the word "rear end" said at least once.

Who's gonna say it, and in what context? I think it's gonna be The Senate that drops the A-bomb.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Sheev: Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL rear end!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mooey Cow posted:

The most recent spoil is that the Swedish film review board has leaked the fact that we will hear the word "rear end" said at least once.

Who's gonna say it, and in what context? I think it's gonna be The Senate that drops the A-bomb.

Gonz posted:

Palpatine: “And now, Kylo Ren, I shall whoop your rear end!”

*shoots force lightning at Kylo’s face, melting it off*

Palpatine: “Hahahahahah, ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my dog died im sad posted:

R2D2 is with child and Jar Jar is the father.

The most compelling argument for abortion I've ever seen

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rey turns to Finn: "Is Palpatine shooting force lightning out of his rear end?"

*cut to Palpatine's cackling face, and then cut to a shot of Palpatine bent over with his robe up around his head, his rear end shoots lightning everywhere*

Poe to Rey: "Lightning out of his rear end?"

Finn to the camera: "Shooting lightning out of his rear end."

Chewbacca: "Maclunky"

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
There's gonna be a marathon showing of the entire new trilogy at my local cinema and I'm not sure I hate myself enough to subject to it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

There's gonna be a marathon showing of the entire new trilogy at my local cinema and I'm not sure I hate myself enough to subject to it.

im prepped to marathon all star wars in order before watching Rise of Skywalker. the plan:

1) The Phantom Menace
2) Attack of the Clones
3) Clone Wars Cartoon
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) Solo
6) Rogue One
7) A New Hope
8) Star Wars Holiday Special
9) The Empire Strikes Back
10) Return of the Jedi
11) Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
12) Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
13) The Force Awakens
14) The Last Jedi

should take less than 48 hours

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
At the end of the film, Rey decides that force and Jedi were a bad idea all along and decided to travel back into the past, sometime around 1969 specifically, to kick George Lucas's rear end. After a psychedelic 5 minute transition, we can see Rey knocking on George's door. As the door begins to open, she shouts "I'm here to kick your rear end, George Lucas!" and it fades to credits.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

A-T-rear end-T

A-T-rear end-T

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

im prepped to marathon all star wars in order before watching Rise of Skywalker. the plan:

1) The Phantom Menace
2) Attack of the Clones
3) Clone Wars Cartoon
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) Solo
6) Rogue One
7) A New Hope
8) Star Wars Holiday Special
9) The Empire Strikes Back
10) Return of the Jedi
11) Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
12) Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
13) The Force Awakens
14) The Last Jedi

should take less than 48 hours

Same. My plan:

1) Lightsaber fight from the end of TPM on youtube
2) Attack of the Clones

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

rear end Dan confirmed as the last Jedi.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

At the end of the film, Rey decides that force and Jedi were a bad idea all along and decided to travel back into the past, sometime around 1969 specifically, to kick George Lucas's rear end. After a psychedelic 5 minute transition, we can see Rey knocking on George's door. As the door begins to open, she shouts "I'm here to kick your rear end, George Lucas!" and it fades to credits.

She causes the racecar crash that eventually leads to George going to film school rather than becoming a car mechanic/office goon.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Chewbacca has been fatally wounded by a laser blast, he's dying and everyone is around him.

"Chewie, it's okay my friend, you can pass on. Do you have anything you want to say?"

"Han Solo ate my rear end every day for 40 years. He's the best lover I've ever had and I've been depressed ever since he died. I'm welcoming death now, if only to be reunited with the most amazing man in the Galaxy. My rear end will be lonely no more. Goodbye, I hated you all and only stuck around because Han seemed to like you."

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
"What are you doing, 3PO?"

"Taking one last look, Sir. At yo mom's rear end!!!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They eat rear end now!
They eat rear end now?
They eat rear end now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Look out, an rear end

teroid

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
*rise of the jedi opens on a shot of a massive star destroyer*

*cut to: millennium falcon interior*

poe: 'drat, that star destroyer is bigger than my mom's rear end!'

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

rear end Dan confirmed as the last Jedi.

He'll never die

RIP rear end Dan

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Harrison Ford was forced to record some dialogue and muttered "This whole thing is a real pain in my rear end" and they kept it in the movie.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

what exactly was I making up?

e:

the only thing I've seen actually "disputed" was that Luke attempted to murder a kid

the movie presents Luke as going to a child's room, while that child is asleep, at night

Luke clearly communicates his pre-existing motivations for desiring to murder the child, he does not communicate any benign motive for the visit in the first place (certainly not one that could be taken at face value)

he then draws a lethal weapon for the express purpose of child murder

while he's about to murder the child, the child awakens, meets his eyes, he realizes oh hey maybe child murder wasn't a good idea and then loses his opportunity/is fended off by the child who instantly realizes Luke was about to stab him

the only motivation he's given for this is a tossed off line about dark premonitions of the future, which the same text notes weren't actually reliable in any way

pretending this is a totally fine, understandable thing for him to have done because of "rational guesses" is a lot less based on anything shown in the movie than describing TLJ Luke as someone who was both willing to murder a child he had been entrusted with out of cowardice and who actually attempted to do so

pretending this somehow flows from OT Luke's character because he was once an impetuous youthful moisture-farmboy and "people aren't who you think" is insane

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 12, 2019

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cBTLsWiDg
Care to watch another contrarian review of the last jedi? Here you go.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I liked EUs version of Luke better. That said, this movie is gonna suck so much poo poo, straight from Disney's puckered rear end in a top hat.

At least we still have the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TLJ Luke is just a slightly more butthurt, sonless version of how EU Luke got in the end. Grumpy old guy who recapitulated 110% of the old Jedi order’s problems and then got exiled