Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

COOL CORN posted:

Are you trying to tell me you don't think this is portable

Knowing that there's some beautiful bastard out there recreating the entirety of WWII at a 1:1 scale warms my heart.

Also the yeah the traditional storage method are Planos of various stripes.

Tabbed-cardbaord boxes also turn-up.

:snipe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Let me add to the chorus of people saying ASL is neat and fun (although I've stuck entirely to the SKs so far).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
There are wargames and then there is ASL...and I can barely handle wargaming without my brain melting down so ASL is clearly off limits.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

food court bailiff posted:

Let me add to the chorus of people saying ASL is neat and fun (although I've stuck entirely to the SKs so far).

My picture of the average ASL player is an insufferable grognard rivetcounter that will laugh condescendingly as he tears you a new rear end in a top hat on your first play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

Ok now tell me there's a way to store its components without counter trays or tackle boxes

I hate it when games don't fit in the box

If the sale is still going on, check out OCS beyond the Rhine. The counter trays fit *inside the box*

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
One more newbie question - how do you guys deal with erratas? Do you wait for a new edition or hunt the corrected counters on ebay? Or just leave it as it is and play it with the rules you have?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

One more newbie question - how do you guys deal with erratas? Do you wait for a new edition or hunt the corrected counters on ebay? Or just leave it as it is and play it with the rules you have?

I use BGG files section. Its a fuckin goldmine.

Edit: and print that poo poo at work in full glorious colour

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DJ Dizzy posted:

My picture of the average ASL player is an insufferable grognard rivetcounter that will laugh condescendingly as he tears you a new rear end in a top hat on your first play.

Wait, people play ASL with other people? :confused:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wait, people play wargames with other people? :confused:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Wait, people play ASL with other people? :confused:

I've assumed they have scared away all potential players with their insufferable social manners. "Heh. You probably should have avoided that MG-42. :smug:"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm wondering about making a game about the 2. Prussian war between Denmark and, well, Prussia. Are there any good games set in the period?

E: January-July 1864

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DJ Dizzy posted:

I've assumed they have scared away all potential players with their insufferable social manners. "Heh. You probably should have avoided that MG-34. :smug:"

Definitely guilty of this, but my excuse is that I usually say it as I throw my MG-34 at them while they are trying to set up their attack.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GMT what are you doooooing

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's even more inexplicable when you see how pretty the actual map is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The thing about ASL is, behind all of the phonebook-sized rulebooks, acres of maps, and thousands of counters, behind all that...

Lies a really good game. It's worth the effort. The rules you'll use over and over again are in the 20 pages mentioned previously. Sheer repetition will quickly make you comfortable with working through the sequence of play. The rest of the rules are the edge cases and the special circumstances that only come up when you've decided to play your first scenario with paratroopers. Knowing those 20 pages opens up an amazing array of tactical possibilities. The return on your investment of learning effort is sky high.

To quote some English dude, The play's the thing ! And ASL has it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The same thing is true of OCS, to be honest. When I'm playing my long-running Tunisia II campaign game, it's very rare that we actually look at the rulebook, because the number of rules you actually have to remember is quite limited, and everything else is edge cases.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Btw this is quite nice to show what people mean by the different scales (at least when it relates to WWII):

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's a great cover- better than generic poo poo GMT usually puts out.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Btw this is quite nice to show what people mean by the different scales (at least when it relates to WWII):

"grand tactical"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mllaneza posted:

The thing about ASL is, behind all of the phonebook-sized rulebooks, acres of maps, and thousands of counters, behind all that...

Lies a really good game.

I love old-school basic Squad Leader and still play it.

I don't know if I could put in the commitment ASL would require for the return I'd get; I don't wargame frequently enough as it is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
VASSAL with VASL makes it easy to play.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Jobbo let's play vasl

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Putting asl and combat commander at the same scale is true in the sense that the units are the same size but combat commander's hex scale is quite different, hence the smaller stacking limits.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Jobbo let's play vasl

When? I am in Vegas at the moment and have the Stalingrad stuff to do but otherwise I'm down.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When? I am in Vegas at the moment and have the Stalingrad stuff to do but otherwise I'm down.

I dunno after the holidays? We can do a one night small scenario and then report to the thread

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I dunno after the holidays? We can do a one night small scenario and then report to the thread

Sounds good, pick a day so i dont book/plan it for something else.

Maybe a night scenario to go with it?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was already being swayed by the wizard van covert art but the Nevsky map is just beautiful.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Still looking for a regular opponent for some WW3 1985 Uander An Iron Sky shenanigans.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Next War: Korea 2nd ed. P500 is now shipping out.

I was supposed to get it yesterday. :f5h:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AARP LARPer posted:

Next War: Korea 2nd ed. P500 is now shipping out.

I was supposed to get it yesterday. :f5h:

Is there an upgrade kit for those of us w 1e

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I was offered a cheap used copy of A Victory Lost. What say you, wargame thread? Is it a fun game?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Terminally Bored posted:

I was offered a cheap used copy of A Victory Lost. What say you, wargame thread? Is it a fun game?

Good game, the activation system works really well and keeps the game moving quickly. If you can get it for cheap it's definitely worth picking up

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

Still looking for a regular opponent for some WW3 1985 Uander An Iron Sky shenanigans.

I wish I had time, they've also announced another expansion to 1985: https://trlgames.com/2019/11/18/1985-deadly-northern-lights-defcon-3/

Imagine the tablespace...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Terminally Bored posted:

It's nice and fun and light enough to work as a gateway game, but on the flipside it's also very gamey in how you do your maneuvering shenanigans. Definitely grab the cheap copy, just don't expect a groggy simulation.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Twlight posted:

I wish I had time, they've also announced another expansion to 1985: https://trlgames.com/2019/11/18/1985-deadly-northern-lights-defcon-3/

Imagine the tablespace...

I'm definitely getting that too. It "may" be an easier game to get newer players playing. (Nordics represent!)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm definitely getting that too. It "may" be an easier game to get newer players playing. (Nordics represent!)

I wonder what will be done with the naval rules. I know they're being added but reworked from the original game. I never played The Next War but I've read the naval portion was really tacked on.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Is there an upgrade kit for those of us w 1e

Phone posting, but there’s some sort of upgrade kit available. I know it’s intended to aid in integrating multiple games in the series. Part of that could be 1e updates but I dunno.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Twlight posted:

I wonder what will be done with the naval rules. I know they're being added but reworked from the original game. I never played The Next War but I've read the naval portion was really tacked on.

Word from the designers, so take with a grain of salt, is that they are being reworked to integrate into the system, instead of a janky mess.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That actually sounds kinda cool. It might get me back into TAL.

I backed this and was pleased to see its now a three-fer!
Good or not who knows but I'm looking fwd to TAL with new poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sleekly posted:

I backed this and was pleased to see its now a three-fer!
Good or not who knows but I'm looking fwd to TAL with new poo poo.

Nice, I never got too involved with the TAL mechanics (unlike the the COIN rules I know by heart lmao) but I should grab that expansion.