Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://twitter.com/JonTerp/status/1204944625921929216

Gonna interrupt the normal thread bickering to share one of my favorite moments I've had in Boneworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Weird. I had fun playing 2 hours of Boneworks. I was a little dizzy at first, but otherwise I didn't have any motion sickness. I felt fine - until I took the headset off. Then i felt ill for about an hour.

I think the solution, of course, is to leave the headset on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Han Nehi posted:

Weird. I had fun playing 2 hours of Boneworks. I was a little dizzy at first, but otherwise I didn't have any motion sickness. I felt fine - until I took the headset off. Then i felt ill for about an hour.

I think the solution, of course, is to leave the headset on.

Motion sickness is like that in general. If you take the headset off and feel bad, it means you should have stopped sooner. But its hard when you're having so much fun :)

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Also, why are the index trackpads so inconsistent? I need them for movement since I can't use the sticks, and they are super unreliable. They work perfectly in Espire 1, but in Boneworks and Blade and Sorcery, they only seem to detect my thumb maybe half the time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Good video of boneworks by one of the Corridor guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazMbRPQS3Y

Unit24 posted:

Also, why are the index trackpads so inconsistent? I need them for movement since I can't use the sticks, and they are super unreliable. They work perfectly in Espire 1, but in Boneworks and Blade and Sorcery, they only seem to detect my thumb maybe half the time.

IDK, but the trackpads on the VIVE controllers were super inconsistent...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calipark posted:

Gonna interrupt the normal thread bickering to share one of my favorite moments I've had in Boneworks.

Destroying the headset aside, I was expecting you to to suplex him when you grabbed from behind.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Never log into Facebook? Okay can do.

That's ok, Facebook automatically has a profile on you already :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody that was wondering why Valve is doing floating Rayman hands for Alyx

There ya go

I mean it would be easy enough to just have full IK but not have the rest of the body collide with objects, like countless other games.

Some people like just having hands, but I wish they would make it an option for people as I'd take having a body every last time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean it would be easy enough to just have full IK but not have the rest of the body collide with objects, like countless other games.

Some people like just having hands, but I wish they would make it an option for people as I'd take having a body every last time.

It does seem like a good thing to have an option for. Similar to how in VR Racing sims, you can choose to render just the racing wheel, or a driver with arms that are on the wheel.

I think I prefer the wheel only, but its not a strong preference. I do like how you have a body in Elite.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

VR Megathread: Beating our sabers and working our bones

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Han Nehi posted:

VR Megathread: Beating our sabers and working our bones

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Calipark posted:

I am impressed with the confidence you pulled off that maneuver. I would probably have lost my balance and destroyed my tv.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Zaphod42 posted:

Good video of boneworks by one of the Corridor guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazMbRPQS3Y

IDK, but the trackpads on the VIVE controllers were super inconsistent...

Really? I actually found the Vive trackpads to be pretty reliable.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Unit24 posted:

Really? I actually found the Vive trackpads to be pretty reliable.

You must be the Neo for VR.

Its the only possible way you used vive wands track pads for any amount of time and found them reliable. O_O

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PantsBandit posted:

I am impressed with the confidence you pulled off that maneuver. I would probably have lost my balance and destroyed my tv.

Boneworks supports smooth turning B)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

You must be the Neo for VR.

Its the only possible way you used vive wands track pads for any amount of time and found them reliable. O_O

I find them reliable too. I wouldn't use them for games that would be better served by thumbsticks, but they're functional at least.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I find them reliable too. I wouldn't use them for games that would be better served by thumbsticks, but they're functional at least.

Guess I just have the worst luck.

I have 9 total. (6 1.0s 3 2.0s)

They are all in random states of disarray but the big one is touchpads "failing" or "working weird". None of them have been actually used for anything but beat saber really and my grips don't include even touching the touchpads so they've seen pretty much zero use (Without sarcasm, Probably less than 5 hours total on all of them combine).

Everything else on them functions fine. Just, touchpad randomness for sure.

Come to think of it, I know at least 2 other people at near my level of wands and beyond. Hell I know a guy with like 15 at this point.

Don't get me started on demo units. Haha.

Seriously though, have you guys really been on your initial wands for over 12mo and had zero issues? I know I'm really hard on them with saber but drat I'm jealous.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 12, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah my touchpad buttons are hosed. For Boneworks I remapped touch to count as a button press so I didn't have to press in order to move.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

Guess I just have the worst luck.

I have 9 total. (6 1.0s 3 2.0s)

They are all in random states of disarray but the big one is touchpads "failing" or "working weird". None of them have been actually used for anything but beat saber really and my grips don't include even touching the touchpads so they've seen pretty much zero use (Without sarcasm, Probably less than 5 hours total on all of them combine).

Everything else on them functions fine. Just, touchpad randomness for sure.

Come to think of it, I know at least 2 other people at near my level of wands and beyond. Hell I know a guy with like 15 at this point.

Don't get me started on demo units. Haha.

Seriously though, have you guys really been on your initial wands for over 12mo and had zero issues? I know I'm really hard on them with saber but drat I'm jealous.

I use mine for VRChat regularly (which means pretty heavy use for movement and gestures) for over a year now and they've been fine.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A week into Beat Saber, and I am on Expert+ stuff. Really having fun with the game except for one fatal flaw.

Why the gently caress do the chart makers set the scroll speed of the song? It seems like 66% of the custom stuff I play is ruined by either scrolling way to slow and making it awkward or way too fast and making it impossible to keep up with. That is a HUGE no-no as far as rhythm games go. Speed != difficulty, I've heard some people say it has an effect on the timing windows of the songs, which is another huge no-no. Don't base your timing windows off a constantly changing variable, make them static. If this issue were fixed, this could potentially be top rhythm game.

Also. why do chart makers set colors that overrides the default colors I've set for my sabers? Too much power to chart creators, give the power to the user.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone playing Boneworks with a wand able to tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Up on the touchpad is supposed to be jump but when I hit the dude lifts all of 1 inch off the ground. Crouch jump on bottom gets me like 2 feet off the ground though. Am I just doing something wrong with the jump?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hand tracking is cool. It needs some more time in the oven but freeing myself from holding the controllers for basic tasks felt great and I think it could be a big deal. Already dreaming of having this for Poker Stars.

Obviously the UI wasn’t built around hands and everything still has to conform to the pointer system of the Touch controllers. To that end, aim/pinching works okay but isn’t super easy and it’s difficult to keep your pointer in place (though it’s more accurate when you hold out your arm “closer” to the window you’re trying to manipulate). I think they’ll really have to rethink this UI.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

One thing that bothered me is that the pointer didn't take into account hand rotation. Possibly because accuracy is poor? In any case it made navigation a bit more awkward and fatiguing than it should have been.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone playing Boneworks with a wand able to tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Up on the touchpad is supposed to be jump but when I hit the dude lifts all of 1 inch off the ground. Crouch jump on bottom gets me like 2 feet off the ground though. Am I just doing something wrong with the jump?

I don't use Vive controllers, but on Oculus jumping requires holding the button until you've crouched a bit and then releasing to jump.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

A week into Beat Saber, and I am on Expert+ stuff. Really having fun with the game except for one fatal flaw.

Why the gently caress do the chart makers set the scroll speed of the song? It seems like 66% of the custom stuff I play is ruined by either scrolling way to slow and making it awkward or way too fast and making it impossible to keep up with. That is a HUGE no-no as far as rhythm games go. Speed != difficulty, I've heard some people say it has an effect on the timing windows of the songs, which is another huge no-no. Don't base your timing windows off a constantly changing variable, make them static. If this issue were fixed, this could potentially be top rhythm game.

Also. why do chart makers set colors that overrides the default colors I've set for my sabers? Too much power to chart creators, give the power to the user.

I haven't started installing Custom stuff yet but I can't stop playing Angel Voices and just slightly bumping up the difficulty each time (Slow mo no fail, then try it legit, then do slo mo no fail on the next difficulty). I'm waiting a bit on custom stuff because from experience as cool as it is to have a huge song selection in a rhythm game, like you've noticed, custom chart creators often do not understand how to make things good. They also generally design for one difficulty and I'm not really able to do Expert yet.

Even on Hard though it all feels so cool and professional and you feel like you're properly dancing and my wife actually recorded a video of me and I look so much stupider than I imagined

I believe there are settings to turn color override on and off? When you select a song it's on the left with the other modifiers.

Stick100 posted:

Keep trying USB A -> C and USB C->C cables and your different ports, you'll eventually find a combination that works at some point. Unfortunately they required a cable that can transfer power and USB 3.0 data at the same time. It's pretty rare and requires the heaviest cable I have. I have about 12 cables and only one works. Could have used any cable but then you'd have to stop and charge every once in awhile I really hope they change over to use easier to source cables.

Some things I figured out for Oculus Link:

The Vive Link box can be used as a powered extension. The Vive 3-1 cable does NOT work as a link cable with a female A to female A connector + valid cable.

Thanks! Man I get why people flock to stuff like the Quest where it's just plug and play instead of "Have a GTX 970+ and try 20 wires and check your FPS and don't throw up"

But I really wanna play Half Life VR eventually

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Its basically Console vs PC gaming in general, and both definitely have advantages and disadvantages.

Although I guess with consoles they're more the dominant market, although that'll probably be true of the Quest before long.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

You'll unfeel this way soon about njs (Note Jump Speed). Eventually the stuff you feel like is "Just right" is going to feel like slow bullshit and you'll hate it. Theres some super weird interesting stuff like rabbit notes that do literally move around until the last min, but typical speed jumps are sorta visual. Your brains going "WTF OMG gently caress" but really, the notes are actually where the should be exactly on time. The trick is, you have to be far far more accurate hitting it ON TIME because its only there for a fraction of the time it would be at a slower jump speed. Its done on purpose, its pushing your accuracy. Yeah, It sucks learning it, but eventually your brain will click and then the next rear end in a top hat tier of stuff will make you feel the same way for a while.

Also that higher NJS + some math with note angles and distance between them = PP+++++

Colors, Agreed. Go into your settings for streamcore (if you have it installed), and tell that poo poo to gently caress off. you can force the override away and keep your colors n stuff. I think its under streamcore. Its under player settings on the left panel, page 2?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 12, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Beat the first level of Boneworks and took a break after exploring the stat of the next level. This game does a really great job of making you feel like you are there. I had to remind myself at times it wasn't real.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Its basically Console vs PC gaming in general, and both definitely have advantages and disadvantages.

Although I guess with consoles they're more the dominant market, although that'll probably be true of the Quest before long.

What do you mean people buy games and "play them?" Are you saying some people aren't done with a game after tweaking, modding, and benchmarking it? Pffhaha, nerds, I tell ya what.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

The Quest is absolutely going to be the dominant VR headset before long. It offers all the big PC titles people might have actually heard of, doesn't have a $1,000USD buy-in, and it's portable.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I got a USB 3.1 cable that's showing connected in the Oculus PC app, but when trying to enable Link on the Quest it's just a black screen. Eventually a "not responding, wait or close" screen comes up. One post I found mentioned a compatibility file in appdata/local/oculus that has my motherboard usb 3 controller blacklisted. So that may be why, but also some said if you have the geforce experience overlay on it may not work but I didn't try yet with that disabled.

I have an older i7 3930k system so maybe it doesn't have compatibility with the finicky link. Hoping it gets better down the line since I already spent about $50 on cables and don't want to keep adding to it. I don't have a 5ghz router to try Virtual Desktop or ALVR yet, too, so I'm still waiting to see what PC ran games look like.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

You'll unfeel this way soon about njs (Note Jump Speed). Eventually the stuff you feel like is "Just right" is going to feel like slow bullshit and you'll hate it. Theres some super weird interesting stuff like rabbit notes that do literally move around until the last min, but typical speed jumps are sorta visual.

Also that higher NJS + some math with note angles and distance between them = PP+++++

I read charts in Sound Voltex at 800 speed (other rhythm game stuff), so charts that feel too fast are probably always going to feel too fast. Maybe I get used to them to the point where I don't feel like instantly exiting the song, but they will always be somewhat uncomfortable to play. I do agree that slow stuff is getting even worse as each day passes. I find myself turning slow expert songs that I played with fail off a few days ago up to higher speed rates just to be to pass them with fail on now.

quote:

Your brains going "WTF OMG gently caress" but really, the notes are actually where the should be exactly on time. The trick is, you have to be far far more accurate hitting it ON TIME because its only there for a fraction of the time it would be at a slower jump speed. Its done on purpose, its pushing your accuracy. Yeah, It sucks learning it, but eventually your brain will click and then the next rear end in a top hat tier of stuff will make you feel the same way for a while.

Yeah, this is all bad stuff. Variable timing in rhythm games is not good; variables at high level of gameplay with regards to anything remotely related to muscle memory are not good in any type of gaming, really. If someone is playing an FPS, they aren't going to want their DPI to randomly shift to higher values and screw their aim up because of a map setting trying to artificially inflate the difficulty, (which is what this NJS stuff basically does), they are going to want to always play at a mouse speed that feels comfortable to them and probably even find a way to normalize that value and convert it for any game they play.

I have a feeling that most of the high level Beat Saber players aren't rhythm game players, so they don't understand that forcing higher speed is fake challenge. Technically it does make the chart harder, but not in a way that is relevant to anything.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have been super interested in VR for a long time and the Quest is the first time the
price/convenience/offer made sense yes.

Honestly I borrowed a PSVR and even unhooking and hooking up the drat thing you then have wires running across the entire living room that you are chained to, before having to account for the $400 console you need first (I hope you have a Pro!). Then the actual thing does not work incredibly well, I ended up only really playing games that used the PS4 controller while sitting down because the move controllers are so jittery and weird.

The fact that this is standalone makes such, such a big difference. In usability, keeping it hanging around the living room. Being the Switch of VR where you CAN tether it and play more stuff is just another plus.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

I read charts in Sound Voltex at 800 speed (other rhythm game stuff), so charts that feel too fast are probably always going to feel too fast. Maybe I get used to them to the point where I don't feel like instantly exiting the song, but they will always be somewhat uncomfortable to play. I do agree that slow stuff is getting even worse as each day passes. I find myself turning slow expert songs that I played with fail off a few days ago up to higher speed rates just to be to pass them with fail on now.

Yeah, this is all bad stuff. Variable timing in rhythm games is not good; variables at high level of gameplay with regards to anything remotely related to muscle memory are not good in any type of gaming, really. If someone is playing an FPS, they aren't going to want their DPI to randomly shift to higher values and screw their aim up because of a map setting trying to artificially inflate the difficulty, (which is what this NJS stuff basically does), they are going to want to always play at a mouse speed that feels comfortable to them and probably even find a way to normalize that value and convert it for any game they play.

I have a feeling that most of the high level Beat Saber players aren't rhythm game players, so they don't understand that forcing higher speed is fake challenge. Technically it does make the chart harder, but not in a way that is relevant to anything.

Most of them are osu players.

Mappers and rankers.

When you get to ranked and high end, thats the entire point of those maps. They are supposed to be harder based on those variables. Its not changing during the song, its set at X the entire time. I super felt how you felt until I got bored and started playing purposefully bad maps, and the "newest hotness" in the ranked scene. I'm still not clearing some of it, But the poo poo I couldn't last week, I'm doing this week, so whatever. Just my brain adjusting to another NJS/Slider/Big Brain combo.

Maybe, You're looking at E+ as a "flat" level? The maps you're talking about are for the literal top 1%. Most of them have names clearly indicate you're about to get your arms murdered if you're not expecting it. At least I hope we're talking about those maps, Because oh boy, if not welp.

It pains me to defend it. It really does. But eventually you'll get there, Or quit playing before then. Or maybe you'll maul.

Stoked to see sliders be the meta currently though. Love hecking sliders. Well and rabbit notes (Not a ranked meta thank christ but they fun), We're not gonna talk about those atm. >_>

Not ranked, But obnoxiously fun map.
https://beatsaver.com/beatmap/6171

In the interest of your progression, Whats your like fav map you consider the harder end of what you can play? Not comfortably, like your very very edge high end.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 12, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
What are sliders

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

What are sliders

That map I linked, Is basically all sliders. But its when like, 3 or more notes go in some sort of row or direction, and the "meta" with them is chaining them into patterns and poo poo. It breaks your brain until you can just trust the mapper isn't going to gently caress you over. Its fun.

See the blue notes behind the pink? Slider.

Technically 2 notes can be part of a slider, so like, you can have them chained where its like 4 one way, 3 the other, 4 back, 2 the other. Neat stuff.

Edit: We probably should hit the beat saber thread so we don't poo poo up the VR thread with saber trash. >_>

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 12, 2019

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Check out the OP.

Job Sim / Vacation Sim & Beat Saber are pretty ideal starting points.

Also just put people in Home and load up an environment, honestly, that's pretty compelling and chill.

I should mention these experiences are for my mother who doesnt speak english.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

Most of them are osu players.

Explains why they do obnoxious things for jerks like bump the note jump speed up.

quote:

In the interest of your progression, Whats your like fav map you consider the harder end of what you can play? Not comfortably, like your very very edge high end.

The expert+ of this is right around the boarder of what I can do with fail on and just barely get through.

With fail off, I was trying to play this, I really like the chart but the jump speed is way too high. I feel like I could practice my way through it and clear it within a few days if it were lower, but it's just way too uncomfortable to play.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So Robo Recall is pretty highly regarded right? Trying to decide between that and Pistol Whip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

So Robo Recall is pretty highly regarded right? Trying to decide between that and Pistol Whip.

Personally I'd get Pistol Whip. Robo Recall is alright but I found it pretty dull after the first few levels.