Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.
Overslept so I'm gonna be late to go get out the vote but: yesterday at the pub I did convince one of my housemates to vote labour :toot:

e: oh no. oh no. uhhh here is a spooky boi i saw at the end of my street once

bionic vapour boy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

stev posted:

Did a democracy right in the ballot box.

If my polling station is anything to go by the youth turnout is going to be loving real.

Anecdotal obviously, but quite a few people have said encouraging things about the amount of people they've seen at the polling stations. A friend of mine always votes early in the morning and says he's always the only one there. He had to queue this morning.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's Labours all the way down lads

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1205050866270658560?s=19

gently caress I forgot about dogs at polling stations what a glorious day

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sup Poplar and Limehouse buddy. Me and Abby have done our bit

it is incredibly important that you please pet that good dog for me, she looks like a lovely old girl

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

What a nasty woman she is

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

just back from the polling place, was busy enough. i did not vote labour or lib dem

sdlp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol in Newcastle east I had the options of labour, green, lib dem and Tory. All candidates live in Newcastle except for the Tory who lives in East Surrey

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I haven't read any Blyth stuff for a while, but I had a disquieting memory of him speaking in glowing terms about Liz Warren, hopefully nothing serious but I am vigilant for signs of meltiness

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Please give Corbyn an outright majority so I can crow in the face of a horrible English tory civil servant acquaintance of mine who decided to come wreck my country after being a lib dem staffer in the coalition government, thanks guys.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Ikwaylx posted:

I started a PhD in September, and I was terrified that, from what I heard academics tend to veer a bit centrist. I found out recently that not only is my supervisor a labour voter, but he drunkenly said at the Christmas do that the Tories are "utter wankers and if you vote for them you're a twat". Plus all my coworkers are huge labour supporters.

Feels good :unsmith:

Anecdotally I work in academia and my entire office/research group are voting Labour, even the one person who is very much a centrist and would rather vote lib dem who we managed to convince to vote labour after a decent discussion.

ChairmanGoesWoof
Jul 12, 2016
Good luck today from across the North Sea thread, fully automated luxury gay space jam communism now! :geert::hf::britain:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ikwaylx posted:

Maybe it's just the field of microbiology and biochemistry but a lot of researchers in my field constantly retweet labour campaign material. On the other hand I know people from when I was in Manchester who are computer scientists and ~radical centrists~ so I guess it just depends like that.

A lot of computer nerds are Lib Dem as gently caress, yeah .

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

PS: I waited a day, but David Bellamy was an ace TV presenter - I still remember watching him explaining all about pollen, but in later years was a climate-change denying grumpy old fart. He was supposed to give a talk to my sister-in-laws class on a field trip about 2 years ago (~10-11 year olds), and spent the whole time complaining about climate scientists and how the kids are stupid and easily led these days.
Never meet your heroes :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mugsbaloney posted:

I haven't read any Blyth stuff for a while, but I had a disquieting memory of him speaking in glowing terms about Liz Warren, hopefully nothing serious but I am vigilant for signs of meltiness

Honestly he'd be the last person I'd expect to melt

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

superLINUS posted:

Couple of dirty tricks about :
And these went up on traffic lights all over Northampton this morning. They have an imprint on them for the Campaign Against Corbynism:

Northampton's where I live. Do you know where they are at all, because me and Alan Moore can go and tear them down.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cry Jo; and let slip the wallets of skills

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paperhouse posted:

Anecdotal obviously, but quite a few people have said encouraging things about the amount of people they've seen at the polling stations. A friend of mine always votes early in the morning and says he's always the only one there. He had to queue this morning.

Yeah, it's causing a dangerous amount of hope. I had a 30 minute queue and there were practically no olds in sight.

It's Labour safe but I've still never seen anything like it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Weasling Weasel posted:

Northampton's where I live. Do you know where they are at all, because me and Alan Moore can go and tear them down.

The usual caveat- if you're tearing down fash posters be mindful of the possibility of pointy things being attached to said poster to cause injury.

Idk if it's as apocryphal as "razorblades in Halloween candy" in the States, but I'm pretty sure it's happened IRL so why not be careful

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Weighed it all up and in the end, I voted Green.

That's right, I voted for Kate Green of Labour. The safe-seat, chief-melt for Owen Smith who's nonetheless backed by a party with the best manifesto in my lifetime.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Godspeed, UK goons! Here's hoping for a Labour landslide. I lived in Scotland for a few years in the early 2000's and still have fond memories of the place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUh5CvOrglQ

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This swingometer good or bad?

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/swingometer/uk-parliament

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

The usual caveat- if you're tearing down fash posters be mindful of the possibility of pointy things being attached to said poster to cause injury.

Idk if it's as apocryphal as "razorblades in Halloween candy" in the States, but I'm pretty sure it's happened IRL so why not be careful
Sure. I do enjoy 'Dictates their education' is the worst that they could come up with though. What a nefarious crime.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Aphex- posted:

it is incredibly important that you please pet that good dog for me, she looks like a lovely old girl

She is, which is why she gets an old lady scarf and fully automated luxury space belly rubs.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

pitch a fitness posted:

Weighed it all up and in the end, I voted Green.

That's right, I voted for Kate Green of Labour. The safe-seat, chief-melt for Owen Smith who's nonetheless backed by a party with the best manifesto in my lifetime.

Have you met Kate? She's actually really solid and very active in the constituency, no shame in voting for her.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It was a tiny one but there was a queue formed behind me after I turned up at 9:10

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Weasling Weasel posted:

We're finding them at most junctions. If you're in Northampton, you can help get Gareth or Sally elected today. Ask me how! :)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I did a vote.

Station seemed busier than I've seen it before, but not massively so - though unfortunately I do live in a loving tory stronghold so take it with a grain of salt.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Have you met Kate? She's actually really solid and very active in the constituency, no shame in voting for her.

Sure, but when presented with a genuine left wing leader at a time when our health service is under existential threat, she wanted to hand the party to a Pfizer lobbyist.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Godspeed UK Goons. Smash those loving Tories.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Swingometers are never going to be too accurate because they treat every seat as having an equal national swing. If you have a campaign that is focused on turnout in contested and marginal seats, the swing is not going to distribute equally in every seat.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

pretty good

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Big queue at my polling station in London, and two excellent dogs who I did not get the chance to photo.

gently caress the Tories.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Jose posted:

Lol in Newcastle east I had the options of labour, green, lib dem and Tory. All candidates live in Newcastle except for the Tory who lives in East Surrey

the mighty stockton north had, north east party, labour, lib dem, brexit and tory.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She is, which is why she gets an old lady scarf and fully automated luxury space belly rubs.

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mugsbaloney posted:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Honestly he'd be the last person I'd expect to melt

Nah, he's melty as gently caress. He sees Corbyn and the rest of the left-wing resurgence as a well-intentioned but ultimately retrograde movement and that an actual solution to the current crisis has to come from innovative liberals.

He thinks capital's just going to get together and solve climate change when it gets bad enough lol

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

So one thing that crossed my mind was that Cumming Dom's strategy was supposedly to hold back everything until the last week of the campaign in order to carpet bomb voters with ads. I mean, I'm hardly the demographic, but I really haven't seen anything resembling pro-Tory advertising saturation?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Voted Labour in Glasgow. Never seen a bigger line at my polling station, even on the day of the independence referendum. I've got a good feeling lads. :)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm miles behind in the thread, but I just want to say:

1) get out and vote

2) if you want to help out today but you're busy, 6pm - 10pm is the most important time. Get in touch with your local CLP, they will have an office set up. It's the easiest day for door knocking because you're only contacting Labour supporters, everyone should be happy to see you.

3) Hi to anyone in Southampton Itchen, I'll see you this afternoon.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Vlex posted:

So one thing that crossed my mind was that Cumming Dom's strategy was supposedly to hold back everything until the last week of the campaign in order to carpet bomb voters with ads. I mean, I'm hardly the demographic, but I really haven't seen anything resembling pro-Tory advertising saturation?

It's very very heavily targeted. We know it did actually happen because their ad spend jumped way way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Was just being silly. Kind of new here and only knew of her through the UCU strike.