Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Well looks like I'm ordering Volume 3 as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

This picture is so 90s it hurts, and it's the matching soul patches that really sells it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ugh, now that release date is here, my order for volume 2 is "delivery date pending."

I really hope they're doing represses of these soundtracks. If not, they are leaving a fortune on the table.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Any opinions on the Waves score? Reminds me of Coil. I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but it's a nice change of pace from the usual scoring.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 6, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El-P finally got his back catalog up on streaming services, meaning you can finally listen to Trent's contribution to Flyentology (on I'll Sleep When You're Dead) on Spotify!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
still no company flow >:(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leon Einstein posted:

Any opinions on the Waves score? Reminds me of Coil. I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but it's a nice change of pace from the usual scoring.
I'm listening to it now before seeing the movie in a couple hours and I'm digging it. Odds Against and Feedback Loop both get especially abrasive and rad.

e: I love this score. It's giving me ideas for what my next project should sound like. Can't wait to see how it's all used in the movie.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 6, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Rageaholic posted:

I'm listening to it now before seeing the movie in a couple hours and I'm digging it. Odds Against and Feedback Loop both get especially abrasive and rad.

e: I love this score. It's giving me ideas for what my next project should sound like. Can't wait to see how it's all used in the movie.

Yeah, those two tracks are standouts.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

polyester concept posted:

Am I alone in thinking that 90% of all TR&AR's soundtrack work is too samey? Like when the social network came out it was a breath of fresh air because at least it was different than most other scores, but to me most of everything they've done sound like an extension of Ghosts I-IV and a little Hesitation Marks. I get that's their signature sound but I have stopped listening to most of their soundtrack work beyond an initial skim through because there's just not much interesting going on.

I remember being surprised by the song he contributed to the Tetsuo movie because I didn't think he had it in him to create something like that again, and likewise for the cover of Immigrant Song for the Dragon Tattoo movie which was really good. It was nice to hear Trent get noisy again and release something recalling the TDS-Fragile era. It seems that he's very much into ambience and experimenting now and it's clearly something that he's good at, but I really miss when he created stuff that sounded vicious, and aside from the aforementioned tracks I think that style is going to remain part of that period in the 90s and we'll never hear anything like it from him again. He seems pretty mellow and content with life which is a good thing, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

I remember being surprised by the song he contributed to the Tetsuo movie because I didn't think he had it in him to create something like that again, and likewise for the cover of Immigrant Song for the Dragon Tattoo movie which was really good. It was nice to hear Trent get noisy again and release something recalling the TDS-Fragile era. It seems that he's very much into ambience and experimenting now and it's clearly something that he's good at, but I really miss when he created stuff that sounded vicious, and aside from the aforementioned tracks I think that style is going to remain part of that period in the 90s and we'll never hear anything like it from him again. He seems pretty mellow and content with life which is a good thing, though.

Um, "Ahead Of Ourselves"?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I haven't kept up with Trent's output since he started going in directions that weren't appealing to me. I assume that's a song like the others I described? Okay.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

I haven't kept up with Trent's output since he started going in directions that weren't appealing to me. I assume that's a song like the others I described? Okay.

That's fine, it's just the way you were talking I assumed you have been keeping up with the current stuff. You really should listen to the last 3 NIN records, they're not very long but it's a lot of good stuff. (I can't remember where we landed on calling them EPs, but... they're EPs)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

That's fine, it's just the way you were talking I assumed you have been keeping up with the current stuff. You really should listen to the last 3 NIN records, they're not very long but it's a lot of good stuff. (I can't remember where we landed on calling them EPs, but... they're EPs)

It's two EPs and an LP that's not actually much longer but is still an LP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely not like Trent has stopped being noisy. Sure, some of his scores have been mostly mellow. But hell, his most recent work (the Watchmen and Waves scores) has some pretty noisy tracks.

Listen to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGZdjTf2_4

The older NIN vibes are all over that, and that's brand new.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's two EPs and an LP that's not actually much longer but is still an LP.
I mean there's no way to prove this, but I believe it was deliberatesly misclassified as an "LP" to fudge with how it would be featured while browsing on streaming sites. IIRC Trent basically said as much in an interview when it released, but then also made some vague comments about how it's totally an LP for somesuch artistic reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Minidust posted:

I mean there's no way to prove this, but I believe it was deliberatesly misclassified as an "LP" to fudge with how it would be featured while browsing on streaming sites. IIRC Trent basically said as much in an interview when it released, but then also made some vague comments about how it's totally an LP for somesuch artistic reason.

It's an LP because the vinyl is a 12 inch, as opposed to EPs, which are 7 inch.

E: And there's music on both sides, as opposed to the first one which I think came on a 12 incher but the B side was just the A side of Downward Spiral but backwards.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Vince MechMahon posted:

E: And there's music on both sides, as opposed to the first one which I think came on a 12 incher but the B side was just the A side of Downward Spiral but backwards.

Yeah but Add Violence is also a 12" because of the outro of The Background World

Which is why I just call them records now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent said Bad Witch is only an "album" because albums show up before EPs on streaming services.

e: I should've looked up a few posts :doh: lol

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Vince MechMahon posted:

This isn't true at all. Many EPs are 12 inches. Most people would call a 7 inch a single.

https://support.landr.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009568227-What-s-the-difference-between-a-single-an-EP-and-an-album-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_$5.98_E.P.:_Garage_Days_Re-Revisited just one famous example of an EP.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Or for that matter the 2017 reissue of the Broken EP, which is a 12" and includes a little 7" for the two "hidden" songs!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Just started listening to the Watchmen soundtrack and, holy poo poo, it's so good.

I was going to order the vinyls but I'm guessing they did a very short run, as they're all sold out. Spotify works just as well!

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Nail Rat posted:

This isn't true at all. Many EPs are 12 inches. Most people would call a 7 inch a single.

https://support.landr.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009568227-What-s-the-difference-between-a-single-an-EP-and-an-album-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_$5.98_E.P.:_Garage_Days_Re-Revisited just one famous example of an EP.

Unless you are The Gerogerigegege and fit 79 "songs" on a 7" EP

Yellow Trash Bazooka - pretty NWS cover but it's a great EP of noise that doesn't take itself too seriously. Those of you who like the crunchy deteriorating lo-fi sound of the Background Would outro might appreciate the sounds here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This looks loving incredible.
https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/1205634090243776512?s=20

He's going full Year Zero on this one

e:
check out the track titles

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 14, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Holy crap it even has "Just Do It"
:vince:

Edit: Some super deep cuts in here for music nerds of all stripes. Like the reference to Bomb The Bass (which in their timeline includes Atticus Ross) using The Comedian's smiley face logo.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 14, 2019

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

That's the one to buy.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Lol if the hole in the middle of this record winds up being a point on the map where the presence hand lands in the year zero promo video.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'm now listening to Vol. 2.

HOW CAN TRENT AND ATTICUS BE SO GODDAMN GREAT!?

I've read the graphic novel, but haven't seen the TV show. Now I'm extremely motivated to just binge the whole thing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This looks loving incredible.
https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/1205634090243776512?s=20

He's going full Year Zero on this one

e:
check out the track titles

Wait, how is Trent Reznor tweeting this when the liner notes of the record say he died?! :tinfoil:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Kind of tacky to put a hype sticker on the album claiming Sleazy participated in the sessions, when the guy is dead and has no estate to make decisions about his likeness. Guess Trent just wants to jump on that train of anyone remotely associated with Coil acting like they have the right to do whatever because they worked together at some point.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chime_on posted:

Kind of tacky to put a hype sticker on the album claiming Sleazy participated in the sessions, when the guy is dead and has no estate to make decisions about his likeness. Guess Trent just wants to jump on that train of anyone remotely associated with Coil acting like they have the right to do whatever because they worked together at some point.

What part of all 3 releases being a mock/fake/"in-universe" thing are you having trouble with?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

yeah not sure you're understanding the idea behind the album, this is an alternate universe where it looks like Christopherson was probably a full time band member?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
There’s literally nothing in my post that indicates that I don’t understand the conceit behind the packaging, I just think it’s tacky to put a dead man’s name on a hype sticker to sell a record if the man had nothing to do with the record.

There are thousands of people who are fans of Sleazy’s work who don’t give a poo poo about Nine Inch Nails. The first I heard about the sticker was from a Coil collector who bought it and then realized it was bullshit.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chime_on posted:

There’s literally nothing in my post that indicates that I don’t understand the conceit behind the packaging, I just think it’s tacky to put a dead man’s name on a hype sticker to sell a record if the man had nothing to do with the record.

There are thousands of people who are fans of Sleazy’s work who don’t give a poo poo about Nine Inch Nails. The first I heard about the sticker was from a Coil collector who bought it and then realized it was bullshit.

Thinking that the names Peter Christopherson or Coil can be used to move any noticeable amount of units is pretty laffo tho. But I get what you're saying, I guess. We don't know if he really had nothing to do with it. Maybe some old, unused sound design files from those Nothing Records/Pig Studio sessions have been incorporated?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

chime_on posted:

are you saying that there was someone that thought Sleazy recorded an album with Atticus Ross back in 1985 at a fictitious crater where a giant squid killed millions of people? Because that's on the sticker too

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm really hoping they put the first two of these back into print. I don't want just one of them.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Photex posted:

are you saying that there was someone that thought Sleazy recorded an album with Atticus Ross back in 1985 at a fictitious crater where a giant squid killed millions of people? Because that's on the sticker too

No it’s not. The hype sticker says “The long-awaited release of the Manhattan Project recordings, overseen by Atticus Ross and Peter Christopherson. Remastered 2019 audio on 180-gram vinyl, original artwork and more. Halo ten
Originally recorded: November 2001”

It also credits Christopherson on the back cover as a co-writer of all tracks.

If Sleazy actually contributed to this somehow, like if Trent had some stuff laying around from when Coil was in New Orleans, then cool. If he didn’t, it’s misleading.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm really hoping they put the first two of these back into print. I don't want just one of them.

still available at srcvinyl (I have all 3 preordered so I've been watching the site) and vol 2 at least is available at amazon.ca still as a dec 20 preorder

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

chime_on posted:

No it’s not. The hype sticker says “The long-awaited release of the Manhattan Project recordings, overseen by Atticus Ross and Peter Christopherson. Remastered 2019 audio on 180-gram vinyl, original artwork and more. Halo ten
Originally recorded: November 2001”

It also credits Christopherson on the back cover as a co-writer of all tracks.

If Sleazy actually contributed to this somehow, like if Trent had some stuff laying around from when Coil was in New Orleans, then cool. If he didn’t, it’s misleading.

it says right on the back Recorded On Location At M-Site//11.3.1985/UK/The Crater it also tells you to wear your EDS filter if you are suffering form PTSD

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Photex posted:

it says right on the back Recorded On Location At M-Site//11.3.1985/UK/The Crater it also tells you to wear your EDS filter if you are suffering form PTSD

And what exactly does that mean to a person at a record store who hasn’t opened the vinyl? I would say less than the names of real people, with a plausible date that they could have recorded music. I’ve read Watchmen, and am watching the show, and that means nothing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

chime_on posted:

And what exactly does that mean to a person at a record store who hasn’t opened the vinyl? I would say less than the names of real people, with a plausible date that they could have recorded music. I’ve read Watchmen, and am watching the show, and that means nothing to me.

don't know what to tell you then, be mad?