Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

A few years ago there was a show, PPV I think, where Vince McMahon does a backstage segment. After the segment he's left alone in the room and turns around and has a vision of himself from the 80s (blue jacket and all) and looks startled, then moves on. I can't remember if it was a cardboard cutout of himself or if it was an Ultimate Warrior style mirror hallucination, and to the best of my knowledge NOTHING ever came of it. I think it might have been meant to be the start of some kind of angle where Vince realizes what a monstrous caricature of himself he has become, but if so it got abandoned almost before it began. Does anybody remember the particular show or have a screenshot/gif/clip?

That sounds like a Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes style fever dream to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
wasn't that before he got blown up in the limo.

i remember it happening, Jerusalem, don't listen to Aesop

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

A few years ago there was a show, PPV I think, where Vince McMahon does a backstage segment. After the segment he's left alone in the room and turns around and has a vision of himself from the 80s (blue jacket and all) and looks startled, then moves on. I can't remember if it was a cardboard cutout of himself or if it was an Ultimate Warrior style mirror hallucination, and to the best of my knowledge NOTHING ever came of it. I think it might have been meant to be the start of some kind of angle where Vince realizes what a monstrous caricature of himself he has become, but if so it got abandoned almost before it began. Does anybody remember the particular show or have a screenshot/gif/clip?

It was a full on Warrior in the mirror gimmick and I cannot for the life of me find anything about it. But it definitely happened.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Minidust posted:

btw that got me thinking about Bray's debut in an inferno match, which I remembered ending in a pinfall, but now that I look it up it was apparently a "Ring of Fire" match? Huh, okay.

As a reminder, Bray spent most of his first match getting his rear end kicked and trying to run away from Kane until Harper & Rowan finally managed to get inside the ring. It sucked!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alexander Hamilton posted:

As a reminder, Bray spent most of his first match getting his rear end kicked and trying to run away from Kane until Harper & Rowan finally managed to get inside the ring. It sucked!

can't have people gettin' over

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Critical posted:

It was a full on Warrior in the mirror gimmick and I cannot for the life of me find anything about it. But it definitely happened.
I remember it too.

It was right up there with Kane having a fantasy sequence we could all see on Raw that time as the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen in wrestling.

Shine posted:

I call m— some people call me "The rear end-itcher."
FTFY.

I still can't believe he slipped up and almost admitted he makes up nicknames for himself.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

this definately happened but i saw it years later as a youtube and can offer no further context

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wanna' say it was 2006, 'cause I remember watching it when I lived in Texas.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wrestling loves the mirror gimmick. Remember when they did it with Fake Kane?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It was right up there with Kane having a fantasy sequence we could all see on Raw that time as the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen in wrestling.

That was straight up one of the most embarassing things I have ever seen in wrestling.

That and Lawler going,"I had a dream... what if politicians had to tell.... the truth!" when they were doing that dumb Capitol Punishment PPV. Then they had a Barack Obama impersonator show up on the show and do a little dance because Vince McMahon is a gigantic piece of poo poo.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

remember when hornswoggle was the roadrunner

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this was during that brief stretch where they brought back Saturday Night's Main Event. It was the intro to the first new episode with I guess Vince feeling all nostalgic for what he was like during the original run.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Am I dreaming or did Triple H have a t-shirt design between 2005-2009 which was based around the hemorrhoid cream preparation h? Like a "apply some of this before you get your rear end kicked" vibe.

Yes it said “Preparation HHH” on the front.

https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=20350

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Not picture sadly.

I did however come across the Undertaker t-shirt they're discussing in that thread.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

WWE really likes that whole bit. There was also the time Orton was feuding with Undertaker, Orton hallucinated Cowboy Bob covered in blood. Then he was fine so it was made clear that we, the audience, were apparently hallucinating along with Randy, and uigoigoi

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

jungian wrestling entertainment

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
“Name sounds like thing” is very strong early 2000s graphic-tee power so I’m unsurprised WWE did it with every name based pun regardless of how much sense it made. I’m trying to picture an actual human wearing either of those shirts by choice and coming up short

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Gary Spivey and Mr Wonderful also counts as a mirror angle due to that part where they randomly start talking to each other through the mirror.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Based on Archive.org, that Underquaker up there isn't even the original shirt, which makes sense because that particular Undertaker looks more grizzled than the 2004 version.

The original one is much, much worse

It's true, HHH was delivering a lot of ** beatings in 2004.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Edge & Christian posted:

Based on Archive.org, that Underquaker up there isn't even the original shirt, which makes sense because that particular Undertaker looks more grizzled than the 2004 version.

The original one is much, much worse

It's true, HHH was delivering a lot of ** beatings in 2004.

"society of dead friends"

what the gently caress.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Critical posted:

DeathChicken posted:

WWE really likes that whole bit. There was also the time Orton was feuding with Undertaker, Orton hallucinated Cowboy Bob covered in blood. Then he was fine so it was made clear that we, the audience, were apparently hallucinating along with Randy, and uigoigoi
In the classic Warrior segment, Hogan can see Warrior, and the audience can see Warrior. So what's actually going on is that Eric Bischoff has an acute form of psychosomatic blindness where he can't see Warrior(s).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

In the classic Warrior segment, Hogan can see Warrior, and the audience can see Warrior. So what's actually going on is that Eric Bischoff has an acute form of psychosomatic blindness where he can't see Warrior(s).

Eric Bischoff can only see people less racist or equally racist than him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

But then the Warrior disappears from the mirror, so the audience joins Bischoff in not being able to see it, but Hogan insists he can still see it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

hmmm

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

How did he do segments with Vince Russo when he couldn't even make eye contact? And didn't he have meetings with Terry Taylor?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But then the Warrior disappears from the mirror, so the audience joins Bischoff in not being able to see it, but Hogan insists he can still see it.
Eric Bischoff is a memetic virus which spread to the audience.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

I recall WWECW having a bit where Zack Ryder saw Rosa Mendes for the first time backstage, then we got to see him fantasizing about them being a couple.

Also, there was that major WTF segment about Mark Henry, JBL and El Torito that I'm not going to begin to describe.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Didn't Vince also have a dream sequence from around the time where the Nexus first showed up? Something about him being in a hospital bed and waking up with Linda For Senate stickers all over him or something?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DiN0UNuvc Found it! It was Stephanie's dream sequence but close enough.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 12, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Considering her campaign budget, that probably happened to dozens of people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this was during that brief stretch where they brought back Saturday Night's Main Event. It was the intro to the first new episode with I guess Vince feeling all nostalgic for what he was like during the original run.

That actually makes a lot of sense, and would even explain why it never went anywhere after that. Thanks!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

"society of dead friends"

what the gently caress.

The Quakers are known as the Religious Society of Friends, so since the shirt uses a Quaker pun it's a continuation of that. Not that it is GOOD.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I didn't want to put this in the AEW thread because it moves fast and seems more focused on their weekly show, but... where do I start with AEW?

A friend and I have started sporadically catching up, but so far we both find it a little confusing. I know who like 90% of the people are, but it kind of seems like AEW was heavily banking on insider fans with heavy knowledge of indies & international feds being the core audience. So I find myself having to explain to my friend who everyone is and what's going on. We watched Double or Nothing and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure whether we're supposed to go straight into All Out next, or if "Fyter Fest" was a real thing that a wrestling promotion actually titled a full PPV and if we should watch that next. I assume once we get to the point where Dynamite starts weekly, it gets a bit more focused?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
AEW explains who some people are, but not all of them. Fyter Fest was a charity thing but go ahead and watch it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you like the shows I think watching all the pre-TV PPVs is the way to go. Then once you get to TV it’s the TV shows and the AEW Dark YouTube show.

In the pre-TV period the PPVs generally also had “road to” shows that did a good job of building up storylines. They’re all on the main YouTube channel.

If you really want more you can also watch Being the Elite, the Wrestler in hotel room show (can’t remember what it’s called), or Sammy’s vlog. They’re all good to varying degrees but not required watching.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I didn't want to put this in the AEW thread because it moves fast and seems more focused on their weekly show, but... where do I start with AEW?

A friend and I have started sporadically catching up, but so far we both find it a little confusing. I know who like 90% of the people are, but it kind of seems like AEW was heavily banking on insider fans with heavy knowledge of indies & international feds being the core audience. So I find myself having to explain to my friend who everyone is and what's going on. We watched Double or Nothing and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure whether we're supposed to go straight into All Out next, or if "Fyter Fest" was a real thing that a wrestling promotion actually titled a full PPV and if we should watch that next. I assume once we get to the point where Dynamite starts weekly, it gets a bit more focused?

Fyter Fest is skippable. Some good matches, but the only strong story beat was Shawn Spears waffling Cody with a chair. Fight For The Fallen is fun but inconsequential. However the SCU/Lucha Brothers match is out of this world.

It's worth watching All Out before watching Dynamite just to get a few things set up. It gives the start of dissention in the Elite, showcases some of the tag teams, and has a lot of really good fun matches. The Bucks/Luchas ladder match is a showstopper, and you'll want to see the world title be decided in the main event.

No show is going to explain everything though. One of their weaknesses is not introducing stuff properly.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nice, thanks. I'll probably do select matches from FF and FftF (that's a lot of Fs) and then go straight to All Out.

Do any more OWE/DG guys show up? I was pretty stoked about Cima's crew showing up on DoN.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Nice, thanks. I'll probably do select matches from FF and FftF (that's a lot of Fs) and then go straight to All Out.

Do any more OWE/DG guys show up? I was pretty stoked about Cima's crew showing up on DoN.

sadly only el lindaman/t-hawk show up. OWE as we know it is dissolved with the company relocating to Cambodia.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

They do occasionally. There's a Kenny/CIMA match from Fight For The Fallen that's out of this world. I'd like to see more of them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

aew never explained who darby allin actually is. they kinda mentioned he's deranged and masochistic but i'm over here like ?? ? ?????; specifically, my pupils (in the eyes) became question marks, as well as my mouth, eyebrows, and most distinguishing features. i'm like what. who the!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jordan7hm posted:

the Wrestler in hotel room show (can’t remember what it’s called)

That one would be "Wrestlers on the road eating room service" and it's my personal favorite because it's just the Bucks shooting the poo poo with people on the roster and telling stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gavok posted:

I recall WWECW having a bit where Zack Ryder saw Rosa Mendes for the first time backstage, then we got to see him fantasizing about them being a couple.

Also, there was that major WTF segment about Mark Henry, JBL and El Torito that I'm not going to begin to describe.

I just remembered they did another mirror thing with the Wyatt family at some points. I think they even did one with Daniel Bryan and Kane.

Then of course the time Adam Rose did a bit with the mirror from Oculus.