Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

what a dumbfuck.
Edit: Ah, new page. I was talking about ryonguy in case it wasn't clear. ryonguy is the dumbfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey, a few things. Most of the animus in the QCS thread about this subforum stemmed from issues with this thread and while I think for the most part having it around is absolutely a net positive I do think there are some tweaks to be made. These are mostly spot-fixes and ideally this thread will 90% proceed as normal-- I just want to reorient us a bit, point a school-marmly finger back at the rules, and make a few adjustments. If there are bigger issues and people have broader suggestions for how to make this thread as useful and efficient as it can be I'm super open to talking about them moving forward and instituting them as needed. My motivation here is trying to ensure that the thread is an actual good utility for identifying predators and bad actors in the industry, point out unethical business practices that might not be immediately apparent to casual fans, and yes, to talk poo poo about dumbshit fascists like EVS. So:

1) I'm changing the title to Industry Terribleness/ComicsGate. ComicsGate is still a going concern and I think we all appreciate updates on how lovely their comics turn out to be so feel free to keep posting about it, but for a few months here I think this thread's greater use was in identifying other serious problems in the industry, largely sexual abusers or stuff like the Jonathan Luna thread. I just want the title to reflect the content in a way that's most useful to newcomers.

2) This is the big one, imo: to refresh everyone, here are the first two rules of the thread--

X-O posted:

1. Harassment or intolerance of any kind is unacceptable. If you are racist, homophobic, transphobic, or just a garden variety piece of poo poo you will be banned. If you complain about too many women in comics or diversity in comics you will be banned. If you support ComicsGate and actually are stupid enough to say so you will be banned. If one of those people disrupt the thread you're free to treat them in a manner a bigot is deserving.

2. If you post in this thread to argue in bad faith or play devil's advocate you will banned. If you post to antagonize or play games you will be banned.
We've been pretty good about this since the reboot but as a trans poster I see the line between these two rules as by their nature very thin. We saw in the last weird death throes of the original thread as well as in this week's broader shitshow how much damage can be done by people with bad manners, good intentions, and a willingness to skirt the rules. I want to make it clear that going forward I'm going to have zero tolerance for dog whistles, insinuations, and "just asking questions" bullshit. I think between thread regulars and X-O this iteration of the thread has been pretty good at chasing out disingenuous creeps already, but I'm going to make it a priority moving forwards to keep it that way. This thread is completely useless if our most marginalized posters can't feel safe in it, so if you get get bad vibes about anyone's rhetoric or behavior and feel like nothing is being done please don't hesitate to PM or file a report.

3) I also would really like us to phase out content that has nothing to do with comics or is only tangentially related to them. There are lots of right-wing dipshits in nerd culture, none of us are surprised by this, but we don't need to post every single one of them. Again, I want this to be an actual resource like the CD sexual abuser thread, where we can inform ourselves and think about how to address substantive problems within a medium we all love and want to be better, not a chat thread. Again, feel free to continue posting examples of actual Comicsgate people humiliating themselves on twitter or whatever, but let's cut down on, for example, Star Wars poo poo. Before you post, ask yourself "is this actually about comics?"

4) This should go without saying but please for the love of god less dumb slapfights. I get that this is by nature a tense thread where people get invested, and I legit love it when regulars here band together against somebody like Death Ray who was only here to be a loving weirdo nuisance. By all means hold each other accountable, call each other out, and don't offer an inch to bad actors. This doesn't mean, though, that we can all just be assholes to each other all day and all night.

(So like-- case in point. Ryonguy needs to stop doing weird poo poo like dredging up million-year-old site posts and everybody else needs to stop posting about Ryonguy hours after he's apparently left)

Ok, so that's what I have for now. Again, if there are bigger changes people need or want, I want to hear about them, and if there are serious issues without anything I've proposed above, I want to hear about those too. Like I said, I love this thread, I think having it around has made BSS a better place, but it's also been the birthplace of some serious problems.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Big thumbs up from me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not allowing posting 50 pages about an anime guy is an infringement on my right to free speech

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
there's also, like, already a completely separate "gently caress Vic Mignogna" thread in ADTRW for that

it's not something we're lacking in places to talk about

surc
Aug 17, 2004

While this is being discussed, and since the specific rule came up as being reiterated -- Just to clarify, where's the line on "Devil's Advocacy" drawn? I started writing a post in response to the Alan Moore discussion which was largely about the fact that I think there's validity in an artist trying to defend a criticism leveled at their work as being largely composed of strong negative portrayals of a topic by stating that they have a lot of strong positive portrayals of the topic as well, and the artist's perspective on art compared to the audience's blah blah, but I was worried I'd either eat a ban for devil's advocate, or just get a bunch of

Alaois posted:

who the gently caress are you

since while I keep up on it, I don't post in the thread and would be defending one of the people criticized. I guess even after this many pages I'm not totally clear on if the thread is more intended for purely catharsis over the lovely state of things/a resource for information and support, or discussion in the sense of disagreement being acceptable.

surc fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 12, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sure hoping the topic in question isnt rape

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

site posted:

sure hoping the topic in question isnt rape

Beard care.

Alan has a lot of STRONG opinions about it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

surc posted:

While this is being discussed, and since the specific rule came up as being reiterated -- Just to clarify, where's the line on "Devil's Advocacy" drawn? I started writing a post in response to the Alan Moore discussion which was largely about the fact that I think there's validity in an artist trying to defend a criticism leveled at their work as being largely composed of strong negative portrayals of a topic by stating that they have a lot of strong positive portrayals of the topic as well, and the artist's perspective on art compared to the audience's blah blah, but I was worried I'd either eat a ban for devil's advocate, or just get a bunch of

since while I keep up on it, I don't post in the thread and would be defending one of the people criticized. I guess even after this many pages I'm not totally clear on if the thread is more intended for purely catharsis over the lovely state of things/a resource for information and support, or discussion in the sense of disagreement being acceptable.

This thread is ideally a utility for comics fans to get information about bad actors in the industry/community as much as anything else, so disagreement is fine. I think there is a cathartic element to this thread for many posters, and I want the wishes and concerns of the people most directly impacted by toxic parts of comics culture to be integral to how this thread operates, but it is also a discussion thread. If you think someone is wrong there's certainly no rule that you can't say so.

That being said, I would tread very carefully right now in the context of the Alan Moore thing because the subject in question is sexual violence. This is a really sensitive subject at the best of times and in terms of forums culture now is not the best of times. To put it lightly you run the risk of opening up a can of extremely ornery worms and if I need to shut the conversation down I will.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/andreashockling/status/1205253866121510912

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Archyduchess posted:

This thread is ideally a utility for comics fans to get information about bad actors in the industry/community as much as anything else, so disagreement is fine. I think there is a cathartic element to this thread for many posters, and I want the wishes and concerns of the people most directly impacted by toxic parts of comics culture to be integral to how this thread operates, but it is also a discussion thread. If you think someone is wrong there's certainly no rule that you can't say so.

That being said, I would tread very carefully right now in the context of the Alan Moore thing because the subject in question is sexual violence. This is a really sensitive subject at the best of times and in terms of forums culture now is not the best of times. To put it lightly you run the risk of opening up a can of extremely ornery worms and if I need to shut the conversation down I will.

Makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the clarification. The only part I'll mention then is that I thought your running a red light analogy reduced the impact of positive/supportive sexual imagery to just "not actively terrible" rather than having a positive effect, which I do think is an important distinction.

I don't think that lessens the many problems with his depictions of rape, and I had no idea he tried to spin Lost Girls as benign what the gently caress.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dont recall archy ever saying positive sexual imagery in comics was only not actively terrible

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Who the gently caress is this a-hole?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

surc posted:

Makes perfect sense, and I appreciate the clarification. The only part I'll mention then is that I thought your running a red light analogy reduced the impact of positive/supportive sexual imagery to just "not actively terrible" rather than having a positive effect, which I do think is an important distinction.

I don't think that lessens the many problems with his depictions of rape, and I had no idea he tried to spin Lost Girls as benign what the gently caress.

Oh to be sure it was not a good analogy! I'm just not sure if I'm as wowed by Moore's depictions of consensual sex as he seems to be, especially given how fond he is of beautiful young women loving weird old men (LoEG, Promethea,) which feels more like wish-fulfillment than anything else. But sure, I'd grant that Swamp Thing, Watchmen, and even In Hell offer accomplished and thoughtful approaches to sex, and in those three in particular the weird stuff is probably only weird in the broader context of his ouevre.

Edit: Patrick Zirchner is a penciler who has done perfectly fine work on a whole bunch of DC and Marvel stuff. He's not a superstar but he could draw the house style pretty well, so even if his name doesn't ring a bell you'd probably recognize some of his work. I had no idea he was a prick and I'm a little disappointed. Although following up on it, it seems like he also said some grody stuff in the aftermath of the Eric Esquivel outing.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 13, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

Edit: Patrick Zirchner is a penciler who has done perfectly fine work on a whole bunch of DC and Marvel stuff. He's not a superstar but he could draw the house style pretty well, so even if his name doesn't ring a bell you'd probably recognize some of his work. I had no idea he was a prick and I'm a little disappointed.

Zircher was pretty stridently anti-CG, too. Even dropped some great zingers on Ethan (that he unfortunately would then quickly delete). Real shame.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah when posting stuff can we include some context for who people are?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
sorry, pretty sure hes been posted before wrt to cgate so i didnt think it was necesary

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Lol. This title from Russia Today:

https://twitter.com/CastSweet/status/1204884184369512450?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Aren't both those books now cancelled?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Totally Awesome Hulk got renamed/numbered to the legacy Incredible Hulk numbering back in 2017 and Amadeus Cho himself hasn't been Hulk for over a year since Immortal Hulk started

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

LOL at the idea that Squirrel Girl started off as a “cute” character and then was drawn “oddly” only later. They know she was created by Ditko, right? Steve Ditko is not exactly the first name that springs to mind when I think about cheesecake art styles.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ditko's Squirrel Girl is horrifying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, she has these weird diamond patterns around her eyes for reasons on Ditko himself could know.

I guess you could say she was drawn most conventionally when she was the nanny for Jessica and Luke's kid, but even there she's never been like Psylocke or somebody.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Russia Today huh.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

https://twitter.com/unbeatablesg/status/1203858760214687745?s=20

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Russia Today posted:

Asked what ComicsGate should mean to an outsider, Stoker replies “Let the books speak for themselves!”

Hahaha, isn't that the last thing CG wants? They get so much more attention pointing fingers and blaming other creators/publishers for their problems. I wish they'd compete solely on the merits of their work amongst the crowded shelves and digital series -- similar to the "meritocracy" they claim to want enforced on others.

That article reads like the birth of a much shittier Image Comics. "This gang of comic creator rebels doesn't play by the rules... or make much of anything... please pay them?"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't think that RT is particularly concerned with their readership following up on the factuality of any of their articles, let alone a sloppily written op-ed about comics from half a decade ago.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

By the way, it's better to post a screenshot of tweets like that because as it gets linked, retweeted or whatever, it gets shown to more people because of how twitter works.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, she has these weird diamond patterns around her eyes for reasons on Ditko himself could know.

I guess you could say she was drawn most conventionally when she was the nanny for Jessica and Luke's kid, but even there she's never been like Psylocke or somebody.

The only real difference in how Squirrel Girl is depicted nowadays is that sometimes artists draw her a bit thicker now because Erica Henderson was going for a realistically-proportioned body on the athletic squirrel-powered superhuman. Even still, there's plenty of artists that plug along drawing her with the same supermodel physique most women get, and well nobody draws her like this anymore even though it'd be truer to her ~origins~.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1056830155333742592

TUG tries calling Hasbro to get them to drop IDW because "reasons."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what did idw do

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just guessing "FORCED DIVERSITY AND NOT HAVING STRAIGHT WHITE MALES"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

what did idw do

Made women Transformers and gay Transformers.

The chuds also hated Aubrey Sitterson's work on G.I. Joe. Which I didn't like either, but he purposefully riled them up so that was fine.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

site posted:

what did idw do

literal trans-formers

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Edited because it could give out personal data and I'm still trying to keep my doxxing risk to a minimum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Edited because it could give out personal data and I'm still trying to keep my doxxing risk to a minimum.

We all already know you're three otters in a long coat pretending to be a human. No need to be coy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

literal trans-formers

I was wondering what the hell could be happening in the Transformers thread that kept getting Rhyno weird misogynist red text.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I was wondering what the hell could be happening in the Transformers thread that kept getting Rhyno weird misogynist red text.

No, that's just somebody super jealous that Rhyno has disposable income. Also super homophobic and misogynist and etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

No, that's just somebody super jealous that Rhyno has disposable income. Also super homophobic and misogynist and etc.

That's exactly it. I got an incredible job a year and a half ago that essentially lets me buy whatever I want within reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

That's exactly it. I got an incredible job a year and a half ago that essentially lets me buy whatever I want within reason.

Buy me a car.