Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At one point, Mazda USA did a dockside conversion to the "Protege MP3" which was a Protege with an aftermarket car stereo installed that could play MP3s from a burned CD-R.

I think for extra money they would put some Racing Beat parts on it.

I still can't believe they never did anything with Heckler & Koch and the Protege 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe they never did anything with Heckler & Koch and the Protege 5.

15 gallon gas tank, for Military & LE use only.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

Fuckin magnets man, how do they work?

It's a miracle.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

At one point, Mazda USA did a dockside conversion to the "Protege MP3" which was a Protege with an aftermarket car stereo installed that could play MP3s from a burned CD-R.

They also had some pretty good suspension tuning for the time, an extra 10 (yeehaa!!) HP, and Racing Hart rims which were supposed to be quite nice, both aesthetically and performance wise (light weight I guess).

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

15 gallon gas tank, for Military & LE use only.

How would they put the fuel in backwards though? :confused:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

charliemonster42 posted:

Loool.

Thought of another one: One service center on either coast (well, one's in the desert), no repair training available to dealer mechanics. Unlimited warranty, minus shipping.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

charliemonster42 posted:

LOL I had forgotten about that

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

charliemonster42 posted:

Life, uh, finds a way.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The excellent bad with money thread shared a good one.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/e9ite9/on_the_hook_for_50k_how_screwed_am_i_garage/
On the hook for 50k+? How screwed am I? Garage burned down.

quote:

I am from Canada.

First off Id like to preface that I absolutely will be consulting with a lawyer about my current situation. In regarding the the lawyer, I want to know which kind of lawyer would be suite my situation?

Around 2 months ago I accidentally set the garage of the current house I am renting on fire. I was siphoning gas from an old work van that I was about to take to a local part yard to sell. I tried siphoning the gas but ended up only being able to do so by drilling a hole into the side of the actual gas tank. After drilling a very small hole into the side I decided to drill a second to speed up the process. While I was in the process up drilling the second hole, a spark from either the drill bit or from inside of the drill ignited the whole gas tank on fire immediately, I'm not sure how the gas tank caught on fire as it happened within a second or so the whole gas tank was on fire. I immediately backed away as fast as I could and knew that there was no way I could safely stop the fire from spreading, I didn't know if it would explode or not. The gas tank was full 26 gallon/100 liter tank. My work van was currently insured and I ended up getting $1300 in insurance money after the deductible.

Here's where my predicament comes in. I did not have renter's insurance at the time, this was my first place renting, rookie mistake. I do have general business insurance and initially talked to them about if I would have any coverage for this situation but they quickly shot that down, saying my coverage didn't apply to a specific address, saying it covered mostly just tools/materials for my business. I left if at that because my landlord said his homeowners insurance will be covering the costs for the claim. Its been over 2 months and I just received a letter in the mail from my landlords insurance saying they now being going after me for the costs of the insurance claim. The current estimated costs for the claim is over 50k to rebuild the garage, replace 4 windows/door that were damaged due to the heat of the fire, that seems a little much to me since the house overall is valued at around 280k.

Im afraid that 50k might continue to grow as around 5 different surrounding properties were damaged due to the heat from the fire, the heat melted sidings from the surrounding properties. Since my homeowners insurance just mailed me today I am worried that the insurance from the surrounding properties will just jump in and pile on the the main insurance claim to try and get me on the hook for their claims aswell.

What I did was the dumbest decision I've made in my life, it was a mistake and I have to live with the consequences.

There probably is a lot of information I am missing but will try to update any relevant information. I just want to basically know if there is any light at the end of the tunnel for me or am I completely screwed. Merry Christmas.

What a maroon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahahaha holy poo poo that's like a gift from heaven.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder why he had trouble siphoning all the gas. Can you even siphon with modern evap systems?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
The taste was bad. Better to go with the power equipment.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

According to a quick google, fuel is on average $1.19 (CAD) / liter. 100L tank, be generous, it might have been $150 worth of fuel.

gently caress, what a dumb mistake. I feel a little bad because ... uh, that dude definitely ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, just based on his posting on Reddit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I wonder why he had trouble siphoning all the gas. Can you even siphon with modern evap systems?

Yes, you can, as long as the hose makes it into the tank, you can get a gravity feed going.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was my impression that most modern cars have a mesh screen, or at least a filler nozzle stop, to prevent crap from getting into the tanks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

According to a quick google, fuel is on average $1.19 (CAD) / liter. 100L tank, be generous, it might have been $150 worth of fuel.

gently caress, what a dumb mistake. I feel a little bad because ... uh, that dude definitely ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, just based on his posting on Reddit.

I mean there is the bitcoin poo poo but there's also a few clumsy troll posts. Although I don't see why you'd go and re-post a troll post in a different legal advice forum. :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean there is the bitcoin poo poo but there's also a few clumsy troll posts. Although I don't see why you'd go and re-post a troll post in a different legal advice forum. :shrug:
Fair. He's either pretty stupid or trying to play a pretty stupid person.

It's weird how hard it is to tell the difference.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Renters insurance probably wouldn't have covered all that anyway - my impression is that one of those policies cover YOUR possessions.

Even if it was dumb it was an accident which is the purpose of homeowners insurance.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

angryrobots posted:

Renters insurance probably wouldn't have covered all that anyway - my impression is that one of those policies cover YOUR possessions.

Even if it was dumb it was an accident which is the purpose of homeowners insurance.

This was my thought. When I rented an apartment it was explained to me, like you said, renters insurance is only for personal possessions. Homeowners would cover the structure. I've never heard of a renter taking out an additional homeowners insurance policy or whatever you would call it to cover damage like this, caused by the renter.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

I see one a few times a week on my way to work in the morning. It has the trademark rusted out rear wheel wells, of course.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

well, I've been letting my oil change go a little long and that's getting done today

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MetaJew posted:

This was my thought. When I rented an apartment it was explained to me, like you said, renters insurance is only for personal possessions. Homeowners would cover the structure. I've never heard of a renter taking out an additional homeowners insurance policy or whatever you would call it to cover damage like this, caused by the renter.

Renters usually includes a set amount of liability, to cover something stupid you or your guests do.

Depending on the area, he may not have even been able to get renters without liability. Everywhere I've lived required I carry at least $100k in liability, and it was still less than :10bux: a month. The only time I was able to waive liability and go contents-only is when I lived in a public state university dorm (and even then it only knocked $1 or so off of the policy per month). I don't THINK Canadian insurance requirements are massively different from the US... are they? :ohdear:

Hopefully he had liability as well. His rear end will be getting dropped either way, but one way is bankruptcyville, the other isn't.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 12, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GD_American posted:

well, I've been letting my oil change go a little long and that's getting done today

It's really the easiest way, all the oil comes out at once and you can just throw it in the trash.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

STR posted:

Renters usually includes a set amount of liability, to cover something stupid you or your guests do.

Depending on the area, he may not have even been able to get renters without liability. Everywhere I've lived required I carry at least $100k in liability, and it was still less than :10bux: a month. The only time I was able to waive liability and go contents-only is when I lived in a public state university dorm (and even then it only knocked $1 or so off of the policy per month). I don't THINK Canadian insurance requirements are massively different from the US... are they? :ohdear:

Hopefully he had liability as well. His rear end will be getting dropped either way, but one way is bankruptcyville, the other isn't.

Ah you're right, I think my policy must have had some amount of liability. I'm sure there was a min limit set by Texas law and/or the apartment complex.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't know if the minimum amount is set by state law, but every time I've had renters insurance, the minimum I could get has always been $100k, and that happened to be the minimum that the apartments I've lived in would accept (also TX).

I just tried running a quote with Progressive, and the minimum offered was $100k in liability, and if you opted for personal contents, minimum was $15k in property.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL, apartment min in Indiana was $38K.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rhyno posted:

LoL, apartment min in Indiana was $38K.

There is nothing of value in Indiana

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TotalLossBrain posted:

There is nothing of value in Indiana

Exactly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I thought there was more than just corn there?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

I thought there was more than just corn there?

Well living here I can tell you there is ......... hmmm... also soybeans! And........ well.... gently caress.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

meth

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

all ears, no teeth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well it's mostly heroin these days but yeah

Goober Peas posted:

all ears, no teeth

Ha, accurate

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Indiana has one of the most famous race tracks in the country. It is just a stupid oval, but if you ever visit the area you can tell that everyone absolutely loving loves racing and it's a cool community.

As it's still a pretty old school facility, when they're using the infield track you can get a lot closer to the racing surface than most modern facilities so that's a nice perk. The staff is usually pretty chill too, they'll stop and shoot the poo poo with you about this or that race that happened 20 years ago. When MotoGP raced there my buddies and I went every year and there was this one old dude that recognized us every time and we'd catch up on the past year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

Indiana has one of the most famous race tracks in the country. It is just a stupid oval, but if you ever visit the area you can tell that everyone absolutely loving loves racing and it's a cool community.

As it's still a pretty old school facility, when they're using the infield track you can get a lot closer to the racing surface than most modern facilities so that's a nice perk. The staff is usually pretty chill too, they'll stop and shoot the poo poo with you about this or that race that happened 20 years ago. When MotoGP raced there my buddies and I went every year and there was this one old dude that recognized us every time and we'd catch up on the past year.

Too bad all the roads leading to and through the city are crumbling at an alarming rate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Too bad all the roads leading to and through the city are crumbling at an alarming rate.

To be fair, this is happening in every city in the country. gently caress infrastructure, let's build armies and let corporations pay no taxes!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

To be fair, this is happening in every city in the country. gently caress infrastructure, let's build armies and let corporations pay no taxes!

True, but Indy is exceptionally bad in a state of bad roads. I fuckin hate going to Indy.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Rhyno posted:

I have said this repeatedly, but I drove on far better roads in Baghdad than I did in Indianapolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been a few years since I went through Indy, sounds like things have really turned into poo poo!

The last MotoGP race was 2015 which I think is when I was last there.. dammit time is moving faster as I get older.