Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

:trustme: Spark fear in the corridors of the most formidable gunships and frigates with the Ares Ion. This laser-equipped variant delivers extremely powerful shots to quickly disable the shields of even the biggest enemy vessels.

:trustme: Whether heading up a crew or hunting big ships solo, the Ares Inferno is a force to be reckoned with. This ballistic Gatling-equipped variant tears through gunship armor and turns smaller fighters to dust in seconds.

What a dumpster inferno this farce has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:laffo: there's even a PDF brochure for the new jpeg: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/609452192264617984/654687144941453322/Crusader-Ares-Star-Fighter-FINAL.pdf (archered from SC Leaks Discord)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

One in the Bum posted:

What did adzada like so much about the old system? Hadn't it always been lovely no-clipping?

At one point the flight and combat was fun enough on its own that I could spend several hours in Arena Commander with no complaints except that the maps were too small. Here's a video from 5 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64CyaTT9x0

Some points of interest:

* The HUD is simple, straightforward and readable. The radar is clear and not the size of a postage stamp and you can actually see what's going on. The whole thing even seems to animate better than what they have now.
* You can see the individual thrusters on the Hornet articulating. This is a big part of what has been lost- as far as I know they no longer bother with any of this physically-modeled flight stuff, and everything just has stats for how it flies now. I actually appreciated that taking body damage would knock out parts of your flight control at a time.
* Combat speeds are low and combat ranges are tight- you still can't loving hit anything and there's no lead indicator, but at least you actually see what you're shooting. In the modern version, combat takes place at 2+ km and hundreds of m/s.
* The missiles actually work and are dangerous.

Now here's that same game mode today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtnjJpHSg8&t=135s

* Note the proliferation of useless bullshit all over the HUD, and the fact that it animates so much more poorly than the version 5 years ago.
* Note that the framerate is in the single digits and that every time the player takes a hit or pulls a turn, the screen flashes and blurs and has a seizure, rendering visibility almost nil
* Note that the radar is completely loving useless
* Note that combat range has moved out past 1km and you're basically playing a game of line-up-the-dots now
* Note how the player gets targeted by 4-5 missiles at once and nothing happens because missiles are functionally just spitballs

----

Summary: Adz Adama is actually totally correct despite having terminal moon brain. The relatively few changes they've bothered to make in the last 5 years have moved them farther from a functional combat model that's fun to play. They just slot in new poo poo without any consideration of how it actually feels, and the end result is a bunch of conflicting systems that actively punish the player for doing the one thing that should be second nature in a spaceship combat game- namely, turning real hard and shooting things.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Are lasers even in the game? I don't remember seeing one (by lasers I would expect a nice long beam, not a bullet with star wars texture)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh my god it is the avatar of Power Creep. They built all these single-seat fighters, then they built these big gently caress-off yachts and corvettes that have shields so heavy that you can't penetrate them with 5 or 6 players shooting them at once. They sold a bunch of bombers and torpedo ships that were supposed to be the counter to the big ships, but they couldn't get those working so gently caress it whatever: here's a single-seat fighter with a size 6 or whatever-the-gently caress gun, that can "Threaten capital ships" with long range firepower. Buy it now if you want to stay relevant! gently caress you if you bought any of the ships that were supposed to fill this role! Buy the new one buy it buy it buy it!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

commando in tophat posted:

Are lasers even in the game? I don't remember seeing one (by lasers I would expect a nice long beam, not a bullet with star wars texture)

No, they sold some big laser attachment to Idris owners at one point but neither the Idris nor any of the attachments have ever materialized and they never will

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think there's a typo on the last page.
code:
© 2019 Cloud Imperium Rights LLC and Cloud Imperium Rights Limited.
Star Citizen® and Roberts Space Industries® are registered trademarks of Cloud Imperium Games Rights LLC
Does Cloud Imperium Games Rights LLC exist? There's so many shell companies now that even the poor person tasked with editing that brochure couldn't keep track of them correctly.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:toot:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17379-Crusader-Ares

$220 store credit, $195 new cash :shepspends:

:trustme: Spark fear in the corridors of the most formidable gunships and frigates with the Ares Ion. This laser-equipped variant delivers extremely powerful shots to quickly disable the shields of even the biggest enemy vessels.

:trustme: Whether heading up a crew or hunting big ships solo, the Ares Inferno is a force to be reckoned with. This ballistic Gatling-equipped variant tears through gunship armor and turns smaller fighters to dust in seconds.

Give 200 dollars and generate salty tears from whales in their thousand dollar ships!

What's not to like?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Give 200 dollars and generate salty tears from whales in their thousand dollar ships!

What's not to like?

It's a ship built entirely around a great big centerline gun! It's the new A10 in space! Forget about the Avenger, and the Vanguard, the previous fighters built around a big centerline gun that were the new A10's in space! This one is bigger! It has three shields and a size 7 gun, the biggest advertised in the game so far- literally bigger than the guns on multicrew corvettes! It punches above its weight!

None of this poses any kind of game balance challenge at all, gently caress you!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
* lasers coming Q42020, honest

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Keep fleecing them dorks

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

It's a ship built entirely around a great big centerline gun! It's the new A10 in space! Forget about the Avenger, and the Vanguard, the previous fighters built around a big centerline gun that were the new A10's in space! This one is bigger! It has three shields and a size 7 gun, the biggest advertised in the game so far- literally bigger than the guns on multicrew corvettes! It punches above its weight!

None of this poses any kind of game balance challenge at all, gently caress you!

The gun in the new jpeg is actually not centered. gently caress you FUDster.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

MedicineHut posted:

I am new here and wanted to say hi, introduce myself. I have played many MMOs, fantasy, sci-fi and you name it...most of the well known. Have done the raiding, the group coordination, time table standoffs in real life and much of the typical MMO crowd shenanigans. I'm older, around 40+ish and have more of a refined taste for my gaming. As I understand Star Citizen has been around some time as I also understand there are those who have stuck around since the beginning. with that said, I want to thank everyone who supports this remarkable game, especially the ones who continue playing since alpha has been opened.

I have also done some of my own digging (typical nosy 40yr old), and see alot of the impatient "scam" or forever alpha comments. To those who doubt, take a really good look at the design.....the complexity & potential for everything this particular MMO has will end all others no question. Someone took the time to express their love of not just human potential but love of space & the unknown. If this is a scam, they expressed alot of love and creativity to con us. So let them, as the concepts they have with game play make it clear that this game will be the one that ends all others over time. I say give them all the time they need till they feel comfortable with release. Your right, I'm new and its easy for me to say this as I haven't been here from the start.

I've read many posts here and there about changes they don't agree too. Keep in mind this is a game, indeed, still in alpha. That means they might put a temporary change on many things while creating permanent ones to only be seen at release or further down the road. Today's gaming environment is much more complex & vast than it was yesterday. balancing the combat systems is really tricky, though most MMOs only do one and can't get it right. I'm excited but can also see how the startup around the 2011 mark would discourage others. Someone took this game project passion very seriously and it shows. Time will tell....

Psst, Medicine, wrong account

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

ErrEff posted:

I think there's a typo on the last page.
code:
© 2019 Cloud Imperium Rights LLC and Cloud Imperium Rights Limited.
Star Citizen® and Roberts Space Industries® are registered trademarks of Cloud Imperium Games Rights LLC
Does Cloud Imperium Games Rights LLC exist? There's so many shell companies now that even the poor person tasked with editing that brochure couldn't keep track of them correctly.

You just stumbled onto the true game!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Any time you doubt that the crowdfunding numbers are real, or that there could be so many gullible nerds willing to pull out their wallets to the tune of two hundred dollars right now for a game that has shown no signs of going anywhere in the past 4 years, please consider the following case study.

The new spaceship does nothing that we haven't seen. It is the 300th single-seat fighter added to the game. It has a big gun and no interior. It punches above its weight on paper and will, inevitably, be nerfed heavily once it is actually launched. It is not flight-ready, i.e. you are buying a jpeg and nothing more. It costs 220 dollars.

It has only been on sale for an hour and there are twenty-five separate threads on reddit from people orgasming over this stupid poo poo.

Ares Regular Or Ember?
Should You Buy The Ares Starfighter
Polaris Carrying An Ares?
Ares(-10) Inferno
The Sound You Just Heard Was Thousands of Vanguards Crying Out In Panic
Monster, Come To My Hangar
How Long Can We Expect The Ares To Be On Sale?
Only The Ares Inferno Can Mount The S7 Gatling!
Opinion: The off-center weapon mount does the Ares a disservice.
Let me guess: "It punches above its weight"?
Crusader Industry Ares
The Crusader Ares Ion
The Crusader Ares Inferno
Crusader Ares Available For Concierge
Gib s7 brrrrt
ARES!!!! SIZE 7 GUN!!!
When You Can't get into The Ares Page
Crusader Ares Store Page
Ion or Inferno
The Crusader Ares Is Here!
Crusader Ares Concierge Pre-Sale Page for Those Interested
Crusader Ares Starfighter Brochure
Crusader Ares Transmission is finally here!
Crusader Ares not able to purchase, but showing up in the ship menu for Crusader Industries.
Ares up on storepage!
Cursader Ares Inferno and Ion
Ares Variants show in Pledge store
Ares variants in the Pledge store

Let this be a lesson to us: there is no ship so pointless, so johnny-come-lately, so overpriced and so unnecessary that it will not generate an absolute feeding frenzy among the remaining fan base. All you have to do is give it the newest, biggest gun and these morons will be on that poo poo. You don't even have to build it, just put a new number on your sales brochures. It's literally printing money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus Christ :allbuttons:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Any time you doubt that the crowdfunding numbers are real, or that there could be so many gullible nerds willing to pull out their wallets to the tune of two hundred dollars right now for a game that has shown no signs of going anywhere in the past 4 years, please consider the following case study.

I used to think that Wowbagger the infinitely prolonged was kinda mean, but the older I get, the more sympathetic I am to the concept of spending immortality just insulting everyone in it very personally.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there any worse portent for a game when a review has the word "potential" in it? Anytime I look at an EA game on Steam and a bunch of the reviews say something about how much "potential" it has it's pretty much automatically a no buy.

Star Citizen is entirely made up of "potential".

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Massively OP’s 2019 Awards: Worst MMO Business Model - STAR CITIZEN & FALLOUT 76

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

The new spaceship does nothing that we haven't seen. It is the 300th single-seat fighter added to the game. It has a big gun and no interior. It punches above its weight on paper and will, inevitably, be nerfed heavily once it is actually launched. It is not flight-ready, i.e. you are buying a jpeg and nothing more. It costs 220 dollars.

It has only been on sale for an hour and there are twenty-five separate threads on reddit from people orgasming over this stupid poo poo.

Ares Regular Or Ember?
Ares(-10) Inferno
Crusader Industry Ares
The Crusader Ares Ion
Gib s7 brrrrt
ARES!!!! SIZE 7 GUN!!!
Crusader Ares Store Page
Ion or Inferno
Crusader Ares not able to purchase, but showing up in the ship menu for Crusader Industries.
Ares up on storepage!

Let this be a lesson to us: there is no ship so pointless, so johnny-come-lately, so overpriced and so unnecessary that it will not generate an absolute feeding frenzy among the remaining fan base. All you have to do is give it the newest, biggest gun and these morons will be on that poo poo. You don't even have to build it, just put a new number on your sales brochures. It's literally printing money.

Something Boocha said in the last video really rings true here. He said that Ben was the genius that came up with the key to Star Citizen's financial success: Nerds really like to jack off about ship stats, even if they ship doesn't yet exist and will probably change before they do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Before I started actively following the dumpster fire known as Star Citizen I would occasionally check in via CIGs website or try and find a game play video just to see what this game was about. Even 4 or 5 years ago it was very difficult to tell the state of the game because CIG and it's backers talk about it like it is fully developed and playable. They discuss different ship manufacturers with the zeal of car enthusiasts, CIG is pumping out lore as if big things are occurring in game. To the casual observer SC has the trappings of a finished product from a glance. It's when you dig into it at all that things start to look off and then you try to find some real game play footage that isn't heavily edited that you start to see just how shallow and buggy this mess is.

Reading backer discussion about this game is like peering into an alternate dimension where SC is actually playable and fun and then you notice none of them have booted the game in 6 months.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watching that citizen con stream from 2017 was amazing fun times. It looked like a budget PS3 game with janky everything and was so scripted that when it crashed they literally had to just run through the entire demo again up to that point lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

I can't even be surprised by this poo poo at this point. CIG is so expertly tapped into the brains of their backers. They know just how to open their wallets again and again. The focus will ALWAYS be on this over actually finishing any part of the MMO game, let alone SQ42.

This is why it galls me when backers hold up the amount of funding as proof that SC isn't a scam. Motherfucker, every dollar it continues to raise further proves the scam.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Was that the year they used the command console to teleport back to the mission location because even CIG can't be bothered with all their time wasting travel.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

Going off on a tangent but, I knew I'd experienced Star Citizens inter-system jump minigame before, during the mid 90's of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBYS_ahDG0&t=579s

does anyone remember the sequel of this? NOVASTORM
which is a true hidden gem! (only the PC version though)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic was a more detailed and immersive space Sim than anything crobbers has ever been near

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Popete posted:

Was that the year they used the command console to teleport back to the mission location because even CIG can't be bothered with all their time wasting travel.

I think so, that was when there was a jump that had to be made to get the commando to another section of the wrecked ship to pick up some sort of circuit board. The first time around the player missed the jump, fell about 2 feet and broke every bone in their legs.

Which I guess is kind of cool.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

That's rather sad.

:cool: Hi, let me attach this forty pounds rock to your lifejacket
:downs: That sounds like a great idea!

... stuff happens...

:downs: Star Citizen!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 12, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

I think so, that was when there was a jump that had to be made to get the commando to another section of the wrecked ship to pick up some sort of circuit board. The first time around the player missed the jump, fell about 2 feet and broke every bone in their legs.

Which I guess is kind of cool.

Yeah that was it, then they used the command console to teleport back cause it took them like an hour to get there in the first place.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Ares Regular Or Ember?
Ares(-10) Inferno
Crusader Industry Ares
The Crusader Ares Ion
Gib s7 brrrrt
ARES!!!! SIZE 7 GUN!!!
Crusader Ares Store Page
Ion or Inferno
Ares up on storepage!

Its rather telling

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They should reboot SC as spaceship gacha with anime babes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WaltherFeng posted:

They should reboot SC as spaceship gacha with anime babes.

Gacha games are guilty of many things but when you spend 2000 chasing the latest waifu at least the waifu is actually in the game.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Shouldn't they have offset the cockpit instead of the gun?

Oh well.

They are so. So bad at the interaction of design and balance. I mean they are bad at both, but they are also bad at specifically the interaction of it.

Strangler 42 posted:

Something Boocha said in the last video really rings true here. He said that Ben was the genius that came up with the key to Star Citizen's financial success: Nerds really like to jack off about ship stats, even if they ship doesn't yet exist and will probably change before they do.

New ship announcement: The RSI Spacebattles.com. When you try to launch the ship it just opens a web browser to spacebattles.com

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Holy poo poo one would think that your customers would be pushing you to actually implement the things you've sold previously before selling yet another thing to go on the ever-growing to-do list, but nah the fans are tripping over themselves to pay $200 for some marketing phrases, a jpg and the promise of a spaceship (and a game) some time in the future.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

:reddit: Dude the entire sales page is built from the standpoint of Crusader Industries. Do you really think Honda's next car brochure is gonna say "Handles like a banana in a hallway! But as long as you have a long, straight hallway this baby will do you proud!"

This is one thing that really bothers me about CIGs marketing. They always have this deniable fall back that 'oh its IN UNIVERSE marketing so it makes sense that we are promising the moon and the stars!'. No, this is your marketing, you arn't selling this ship to the loving quanta, you are selling it to gullible nerds who are jacking off about SPACE A10 that murders capital ships and tanks and 'shreds' smaller vessels. The only doubt the citizens seem to have is that it doesn't have a toilet and is therefore bad.

Also, what the gently caress kind law do they have that someone selling a loving military spaceship can just promise it does things it does not, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Galt's Galaxy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIcnydrwFY&t=54s

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Going off on a tangent but, I knew I'd experienced Star Citizens inter-system jump minigame before, during the mid 90's of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBYS_ahDG0&t=579s

I can beat that - sort of. Here's a C64 game from 1985:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJwxNJl_XzY&t=346s

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

This is one thing that really bothers me about CIGs marketing. They always have this deniable fall back that 'oh its IN UNIVERSE marketing so it makes sense that we are promising the moon and the stars!'. No, this is your marketing, you arn't selling this ship to the loving quanta, you are selling it to gullible nerds who are jacking off about SPACE A10 that murders capital ships and tanks and 'shreds' smaller vessels. The only doubt the citizens seem to have is that it doesn't have a toilet and is therefore bad.

Also, what the gently caress kind law do they have that someone selling a loving military spaceship can just promise it does things it does not, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Galt's Galaxy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tIcnydrwFY&t=54s

Also their promises aren't even internally coherent, as noted here: Guns on Ares from ISC preview do not match any current version of the Ares.

It's literally just random art concepts slapped around with fake numbers that shift constantly. They've been doing this for seven years and they don't have even a semblance of an idea of how to target a niche with their design process. It's entirely "What would sell," and then they throw it to designers who try to make it fit into the world and who cares if they mangle it, CIG already has the money.

Case in point, look at this bullshit they're promising for the Space Carrier-Turned-Into-A-Mall

Complete lies posted:

Will the shops be visited by NPC customers?

Yes. It’s envisaged that NPCs will make up 90% of the universe. They’ll be able to land and traverse locations with various routines and will provide the backbone of the wider economy.

Can you detail how shops will be controlled by the player?
The very high-level approach will be:
- Chose the shop type (weapons, clothing, etc.)
- Hire a shopkeeper
- Buy stock
- Set a profit margin
- Sell to players and NPCs

How will people know that you have shops open on your ship? Will information be available on the mobiGlas or map?

Currently, there isn’t a specific mechanic to allow owners to advertise that their ship is open for business. However, there are plenty of ways to get the word out, including in-game chat and Spectrum. Plus, the Kraken Privateer isn’t the most subtle ship, so it should get plenty of passing trade if parked in a high-traffic location.

Are the private stores scannable by law enforcement (or other players), or is it shielded to some extent?

They are shielded from scanning to make them incredibly hard to detect from the outside.

They will say anything to make a sale. NPC's visiting your ship? Sure, whatever, it's seven years in and we can't even make them walk right but yeah gently caress it whatever they'll come to your store. And you can absolutely set up the shops! This is definitely going to be implemented in the next year and won't require an entire 6-month effort by the whole team!

It's all bullshit, and what's more it's intentional bullshit. They know they can't do this stuff. They have no intention of following through on any of this. That is what makes this a scam.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The idea that players are going to come to your ship to purchase stuff during the couple hours you might be logged in at night and not just try and blow you up is already laughable.

This all feeds into the backers need to feel superior to those who have spent less. Buy a big luxury yacht so you can host grand parties were Citizens from across the universe come to celebrate you and your wealth! Buy a space trading outpost were Citizens far and wide will flock to buy wares.

What happens when CIG figures out how to have more than 50 people on a server and suddenly there are hundreds of space trading outpost ships in a single system. Whose gonna bother coming to your ship? Why not just head down to a planet or space station and buy from an NPC whose more reliably available? Why would another player or heck even one of their super savvy "quanta" come to your ship to buy marked up wares when they could just go buy those wares from the same source you did for less money?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

It's all bullshit, and what's more it's intentional bullshit. They know they can't do this stuff. They have no intention of following through on any of this. That is what makes this a scam.

That's why the backers use the defense of "How is it a scam? Explain exactly how." To actually get into how this is categorically a scam you have to get really into the weeds of what CIG is saying and offering, and backers know a random internet commenter who sees thousand dollar ships for a 7-year-late game and (rightly) says scam isn't going to get into that argument, as they don't have any of that context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

brain damage guarantees citizenship