Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1204893880350642176

This could be a pretty high EV assuming tickets to these things aren't ridiculous. Like 3x the prize pool of GPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like friends list did indeed get stealth added this patch

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Koirhor posted:

Looks like friends list did indeed get stealth added this patch

lol what?

“here’s this feature people have been requesting since day 0, let’s slip it in real quiet-like”

is this for real?

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

ungulateman posted:

why loving print anti-blue and planeswalker hate cards and then make every single loving blue planeswalker survive being attacked by them, good lord

same goes with fry obviously

Because blue is the color of the concept of magic itself, so it gets to do whatever it wants and cards that impede it are bad

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

when blue players have hate cards printed against them that actually work, they whine and bitch until they get banned.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

why loving print anti-blue and planeswalker hate cards and then make every single loving blue planeswalker survive being attacked by them, good lord

same goes with fry obviously

They mentioned it off-hand in one of their articles - they greatly overestimated planeswalkers' weakness to getting attacked. Presumably they expected you'd just attack them, then finish them off with Fry or another hate card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

LifeLynx posted:

They mentioned it off-hand in one of their articles - they greatly overestimated planeswalkers' weakness to getting attacked. Presumably they expected you'd just attack them, then finish them off with Fry or another hate card.

Lol they have no idea what we're doing. I don't understand how everyone in that company is so bad at their job.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
if you squint oko is only a whole lot stronger on 2 than Mu Yanling.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hauki posted:

lol what?

“here’s this feature people have been requesting since day 0, let’s slip it in real quiet-like”

is this for real?

Theres no spectating or recently played list. So you can only direct challenge people you know but yea.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hauki posted:

lol what?

is this for real?

Yeah it's there. I did a quick draft over lunch and was like "what the gently caress is this person-shaped icon down in the bottom left corner?" No explanation or announcement within the game at all, not even on the main banner in Arena. How dumb.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 12, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Bunch of new Theros cards taken from the Arena update

Daxos, Blessed by the Sun
WW (Uncommon)
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Demigod
Daxos's toughness is equal to your devotion to white.
Whenever another creature you control enters the battlefield or dies, you gain 1 life.
2/*

Hero of the Winds 3W
Creature — Human Soldier
Whenever you cast a spell that targets Hero of the Winds, creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
To tame a griffin is to ride into legend.
1/4
23/259

[[Indomitible Will]] (Reprint)

[[Revoke Existence]] (Reprint)

Eidolon of Philosophy U
Enchantment Creature — Spirit
6U, Sacrifice Eidolon of Philosophy: Draw three cards.
And what did Erekastos teach us is the nature of the soul?
1/2
48/259

Memory Drain 2UU
Instant
Counter target spell. Scry 2.
Alythos sat and stared blankly out over the glassy oceans of Nerono, trying in vain to remember what he knew he had forgotten.
54/259

Inevitable End 2B
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature."
"How many more will die before you accept your fate?"
—Erebos, God of the Dead
102/259

Mire's Grasp 1B
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets -3/-3
Those caught attempting to escape the Underworld spend the rest of their existence trapped in the Mire of Punishment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I love the design of Inevitable End.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love the design of Inevitable End.

:same:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Demigod is a great new type

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Got the seeing visions drop because I genuinely like those arts as a collection piece and the card stock feels actually good. Not warped at all for any of the people that were concerned. Also got a fancy ashiok that I'm gonna swap into my Jund sb for sure

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

More thoughts on it: I love stuff that foists a dilemma on your opponent. This could be really fun in limited.

The floor for it is that it's sorcery speed removal that kills the creature before they can attack with it in. But there is so much play with such a simple line of rules text. Put it on their bomb and they sacrifice their curve filler and if you have some unexpected way to sandbag them (like some blue flash-in tapdown or -X/-0 thing) and punish them for the decision. And being able to punish that hubris, to sacrifice another creature for the big brave hero is such a great way of doing the whole Greek Myth theme through mechanics. Probably my favorite since Feaster of Fools.

Anyway that's a lot of words about a piece of limited-geared removal but I think it's clever.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

More thoughts on it: I love stuff that foists a dilemma on your opponent. This could be really fun in limited.

The floor for it is that it's sorcery speed removal that kills the creature before they can attack with it in. But there is so much play with such a simple line of rules text.

I like it, but the floor is lower than that. Largely gonna depend on how much token generation is in the set.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PJOmega posted:

I like it, but the floor is lower than that. Largely gonna depend on how much token generation is in the set.

Yeah I guess the floor is "tie up their Tendershoot dryad/dawn of hope/legion's landing type effect" which is still dece.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/saviawanderer/status/1205142162578522112

For math nerds

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

That is... not labeled very well at all.

e: oh wait i get it now. it's still sloppy.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Confusing_graphs.twt

I understand it but it's bad and the visual portion of it is just misleading/confusing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I thought it was like a basketball court or something

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
No ring, 2/10

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
loss edits are getting really weird

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I guess Memory Drain is the closest we will get to Dismiss in standard. Didn't some math nerds figure out Scry 3 is the equivalent of drawing a card?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Look Around You posted:

That is... not labeled very well at all.

e: oh wait i get it now. it's still sloppy.

venn diagrams comparing categories past three quickly get incredibly messy and the edward-venn construction is honestly one of the most readable ways to represent five

if you want it symmetrical it looks more like this:

be glad there isn't a sixth color

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Since spoiler season is starting up again, I decided to follow up on something I posted last spoiler season - that I would make some sort of tool for tracking people's card assessments. This is the first draft.

The idea is that it rates cards on three axis - limited, standard and multi-format. I have considered adding another for commander, if there's interest I would do that. It's simple checkboxes, so you can rate as many formats as you like. None of the responses for cards are required, so rate as many or few cards as you like. Let me know if people think I should change the choices, or if you like them as they are - I am posting this for feedback. Once we get deeper into spoiler season I want to lock in a format so that the data is comparable.

I plan to offer this for rares, mythics, and maybe some specific commons/uncommons (cards like Fatal Push). Right now I may wait until all spoilers are in except for the big commons release at the end, or I might just update the same quiz repeatedly as new spoilers come out. Once spoiler season is over I plan on locking responses and posting a bit about the resulting data, and I may do so again in the future if some cards turn out to be way better or way worse than they were assessed to be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Diamond exists as a sixth distinct type of mana that you might need to pay as a cost, but (to date) doesn't overlap with the other five.

Snow also exists as a seventh type of mana you might need to pay, but isn't represented in that diagram at all, doesn't overlap with any of the other six to date, and also mana can be both snow and some other type at the same time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Theros trailer was on the Game Awards. It was a lot of nothing; Elspeth sees a little kid, walks towards it, and there's a twisted zombie controlled by Ashiok. She falls in some water and drowns because she's pulled down by zombies, the end. At the end were images of Elspeth, Ashiok, and for some reason, a Black Lotus with a different expansion symbol.

Edit: It's directly from MTGO Vintage Masters. Wonder why they put it there? I wouldn't bet against just needing a random card for that third spot for ~reasons~.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LifeLynx posted:

Theros trailer was on the Game Awards. It was a lot of nothing; Elspeth sees a little kid, walks towards it, and there's a twisted zombie controlled by Ashiok. She falls in some water and drowns because she's pulled down by zombies, the end. At the end were images of Elspeth, Ashiok, and for some reason, a Black Lotus with a different expansion symbol.

Edit: It's directly from MTGO Vintage Masters. Wonder why they put it there? I wouldn't bet against just needing a random card for that third spot for ~reasons~.

Arena is doing a precon event, where the precons have Black Lotus in them.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The precons for this Game Awards event on Arena are kinda nuts. Interesting cross section of powerful cards but both decks seem pretty well balanced against each other. Easy to knock out 3 wins with either one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

there's some magic mmo thing that just got announced at TGA but I don't remember the name or website lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

fadam posted:

there's some magic mmo thing that just got announced at TGA but I don't remember the name or website lol

https://www.playmagiclegends.com/en

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
playmagiclegends.com/beta

the site is literally dying in front of my eyes

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

The precons for this Game Awards event on Arena are kinda nuts. Interesting cross section of powerful cards but both decks seem pretty well balanced against each other. Easy to knock out 3 wins with either one.

They also both include a friggin' Black Lotus and relevant Power 9 Moxen. The Dimir one also has Ancestral Recall.

They're utterly bonkers and really fun to play against each other.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Do you get to keep them?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Star Man posted:

Do you get to keep them?

they're not adding black lotus to arena permanently lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I could imagine them doing a 'powered historic' format.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The only way to get the cards listed on your account will be to own them on mtgo when they finally shut that down.

You won't be able to actually play with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!