Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He's weening himself off, obviously.

Just some teething problems.

I genuinely love that the show's most pointed criticism of superheroes is that they're, essentially, a comfortable fantasy for emotionally stunted people who are looking for salvation or comfort or any of that nostalgia poo poo, and that it does this by turning Superman into a literal swaddling fetishist. Goo goo gaa gaa drink your milk and superhero pap. Waaaaa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Aged milk is like a fine wine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I were to ever see Homelander drinking even a simple glass of milk, I would assume it's somehow hosed up milk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would wonder if it's even milk.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What is milk, anyway?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have nipples Homelander can you milk me *De Niro disappears into a fine pink mist*

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mmm warm glass of lady mucus.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have good news for Homelander

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1204250601527349251

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's disgusting. Milk isn't mucus. It's sweat or, arguably, sebum.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

That's disgusting. Milk isn't mucus. It's sweat or, arguably, sebum.

Its actually dairy

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m highly educated as well and I don’t sell my secretions, I just give them away.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g72uGYd5EJQ

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Cacafuego posted:

I’m highly educated as well and I don’t sell my secretions, I just give them away.
Loan your baby your milk, ultimate investiment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Glass?

https://twitter.com/vancityreynolds/status/769969495876206592?lang=en

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cacafuego posted:

If we can just figure out how to turn snot into energy, you and I can save the world!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It should've been Banshee but I hope this is Anthony Starr's breakout role, he's so loving good as Homelander. Just oozes menace, totally terrifying imagining being in the room with someone like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

It should've been Banshee but I hope this is Anthony Starr's breakout role, he's so loving good as Homelander. Just oozes menace, totally terrifying imagining being in the room with someone like that.

He's loving amazing, dude's got those intense eyes and it doesn't hurt that he's handsome as gently caress. I really hope his career explodes now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also if you enjoy this take on a crazed Superman, also check out Irredeemable by Mark Waid, which is my favorite of the many evil-Superman stories

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And, of course, there's always Marvelman.

Though, not so much evil, as just utterly alien.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And, of course, there's always Marvelman.

Though, not so much evil, as just utterly alien.

Dr. Manhattan is also a commentary on the idea of a godlike Superman being utterly alienated and removed from humanity by his powers, hang on, did Alan Moore hate Superman

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Alan Moore honestly probably hated comic books, and I say that as someone who is a huge fan of many of his works.

But then he does stuff like Promethea and GIRLS and I’m like “dude please stop going outside.”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah he wrote one of the seminal Superman stories in "What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" and "For the Man who has Everything", it was the comic book industry Alan Moore hated/hates to this day.

His daughter had a recent twitter thread on it

https://twitter.com/leahmoore/status/1197455833073946624
https://twitter.com/leahmoore/status/1197458895171657728

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok that makes more sense. Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and his Swamp Thing run are all honestly transcendental of the medium, I’m just not into the stuff where he huffs his own farts and writes 40 pages of a sexy nubile superhero who has to gently caress a gross old man so he can mansplain to her all about how magic really works until he tantrically climaxes her through the 4th wall...

(Don’t read Promethea)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's say I'm extremely into esoteric kabbalistic mysticism

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You can love a genre while being disgusted that an entire medium is dominated by mediocre-at-best examples of it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

You can love a genre while being disgusted that an entire medium is dominated by mediocre-at-best examples of it.

This seems applicable to all genres and mediums.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
But especially to superheroes and comics. And now, superheroes and movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the rule, that 90% of everything is crap

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sturgeon's law.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

considering what WB did/continues to do to his films, it now almost feels appropriate that Zack Snyder was the one to do a film adaptation of Watchmen

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1205046646997946368?s=21

TIL that Alan Moore talks like Eeyore with a drinking problem

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish Alan Moore was my dad

Wait

is Alan Moore my dad???

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

He is all our dad, in spirit

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Halloween Jack posted:

Country music holler

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fartbox posted:

He is all our dad, in spirit
Very true, my dad has powerful old man energy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD26F2bjBqk

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

precision posted:

Wait

is Alan Moore my dad???

He's metaphysically hosed all our moms with snake magick

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

precision posted:

Wait

is Alan Moore my dad???

I compared Real Dad with Alan Moore Dad and I 100% prefer Alan Moore Dad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How is the success of streaming service shows evaluated? The service obviously knows the exact number of views and by how many different accounts, right? Do they release this information? Do we have an idea how successful The Boys has been, and how well it's done compared to other shows on Prime or other services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zwabu posted:

How is the success of streaming service shows evaluated? The service obviously knows the exact number of views and by how many different accounts, right? Do they release this information? Do we have an idea how successful The Boys has been, and how well it's done compared to other shows on Prime or other services?

No streaming service releases the info or any real numbers. No one knows what the requirements for cancel / renew are either besides the companies.

The only thing Amazon said was:

quote:

Amazon Prime Video announced today that The Boys has become one of their most binged series of 2019 in just two weeks. More impressively, though, the streaming service also has revealed that The Boys is among their most-watched series ever.