Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Johnson dunking on Gaetz literally made my day. Bless you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zonohedron posted:

Rep. Johnson (the Dem from GA, not the Rep from LA) "I don't think we should do the pot calling the kettle black. I don't know if any members have been busted for DUIs..." C-SPAN cuts to Gaetz looking really unhappy for some reason :iiam:

not watching live but this was extremely funny

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1205173637453697025

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Rep Jackson-Lee killing it. I wish she was running the committee.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Dont really understand the harping about the me vs. us.

Trump has no loving idea what he is saying at any point in time - that he would use the royal "We" and not just use us because he thinks he IS america and anything that is good for him is good for america is ridiculous.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

refleks posted:

Trump has no loving idea what he is saying at any point in time - that he would use the royal "We" and not just use us because he thinks he IS america and anything that is good for him is good for america is ridiculous.

The Republican argument is "He said 'do us a favor', not 'do me a favor', therefore he was talking about corruption, not soliciting a bribe" and for whatever reason Democrats are attempting to respond to that seriously.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Swalwell with the 1000 yard stare

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Oh good republicans lying again that the prosecutor was fired for investigating Burisma, instead of being fired after not investigating Burisma (or anything else)

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

refleks posted:

This. There has been so many instances where Trump has said the US instead of him. He thinks that what is good for him is good for the US

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zonohedron posted:

The Republican argument is "He said 'do us a favor', not 'do me a favor', therefore he was talking about corruption, not soliciting a bribe" and for whatever reason Democrats are attempting to respond to that seriously.

Rep. Raskin pointing out that Trump is a corrupt piece of poo poo who defrauded his own charity and had a fraud university, making it impossible to believe he gave anything approaching a gently caress about Corruption in terms of it being bad was a good take.

zonohedron posted:

Oh good republicans lying again that the prosecutor was fired for investigating Burisma, instead of being fired after not investigating Burisma (or anything else)

Again, several Democrats have repeatedly brought up that the GOP is lying about this in both the House Intel and House Judiciary hearings. Since the GOP can't argue in good faith (or even change their arguments on the fly without running to Sean Hannity or whoever for talking points) they just continue to lie faster and louder in the hope the lie sticks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'd like to think that every time the Republicans go off on a tear about how Hunter getting a gig off his dad's name is corrupt, every Trump child including Kushner gets a giant anime drop of sweat next to their head.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

Rep. Raskin pointing out that Trump is a corrupt piece of poo poo who defrauded his own charity and had a fraud university, making it impossible to believe he gave anything approaching a gently caress about Corruption in terms of it being bad was a good take.

Yeah it was great, here's the clip

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1205161802402848769

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

zonohedron posted:

Yes, but this bullshit decorum, where democrats take republicans' disingenuous arguments seriously, and not ridiculing them every loving time, needs to end.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I am somehow STILL caught off guard when Gohmert manages to one up his own stupidity every time he speaks.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Wasn't the trump tower meeting with veslnitskaya conspiracy with russia?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Retro42 posted:

I am somehow STILL caught off guard when Gohmert manages to one up his own stupidity every time he speaks.

now he's talking about roosevelt? :psyduck:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Retro42 posted:

It's the only reason I believe people when they say Gohmert is the dumbest man in Congress even when he's in the same room as Gaetz, Jordan, Nunes or Ratcliffe. Like, they're dumb. They're really, really dumb; but somehow he's even dumber.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Gohmert was a judge. A loving judge. Imagine going on trial and walking into the courtroom seeing that gently caress.

You just know he was one of those "tough on crime" judges that handed out the harshest sentences possible.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Rep Jackson-Lee killing it. I wish she was running the committee.

Based on my (admittedly minimal) exposure to Nadler, I'd rather have a broom running the committee.

I am really, really hoping they pick Schiff to be the impeachment manager. With how Republicans have gone after him personally that seems unlikely. My second choice would be Swalwell.

How the Republicans can openly and blatantly lie and smear individuals like Schiff with impunity is a pretty major indictment of how Congresss is regulated, IMO.

Edit: Didn't realize that the "impeachment manager" was a team of individuals and not a single person. Hopefully we'll get both Schiff and Swalwell, at the very least.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 12, 2019

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

my god gohmert is such a moron. Trump was pursuing a conspiracy theory about the 2016 election and the countries intelligence communities have already done 2 years of investigation. They can't say that Mueller put the country through such a horrible thing and then say they want to know about crowdstrike.

Also the GOP keeps saying that they aren't getting a hearing and they aren't allowed to call witnesses. First all elections have consequences. Secondly we are going with the rules setup by the republicans when they tought hillary was going to win, they need to just deal with it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wonder what time voting starts at this rate.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

refleks posted:

Gohmert was a judge. A loving judge. Imagine going on trial and walking into the courtroom seeing that gently caress.

You just know he was one of those "tough on crime" judges that handed out the harshest sentences possible.

And then someone had to remind him the trial hadn't started yet...

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

SchrodingersCat posted:

Based on my (admittedly minimal) exposure to Nadler, I'd rather have a broom running the committee.

I am really, really hoping they pick Schiff to be the impeachment manager. With how Republicans have gone after him personally that seems unlikely. My second choice would be Swalwell.

How the Republicans can openly and blatantly lie and smear individuals like Schiff with impunity is a pretty major indictment of how Congresss is regulated, IMO.

Yeah man. these lies really piss me off and the democrats arent really refuting their lies in any significant way. Every time a GOP member opens their mouth they either lie or say something about biden.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

ManBoyChef posted:

Yeah man. these lies really piss me off and the democrats arent really refuting their lies in any significant way. Every time a GOP member opens their mouth they either lie or say something about biden.

I feel like, if you are a public official, and you are caught lying in the performance of your duties, there should be a non-partisan mechanism to remove you from office.

ManBoyChef posted:

Also the GOP keeps saying that they aren't getting a hearing and they aren't allowed to call witnesses. First all elections have consequences. Secondly we are going with the rules setup by the republicans when they tought hillary was going to win, they need to just deal with it.

The Republicans are bitching that the Democrats are doing the exact same thing the Republicans did to the congressional inquiries into Russian election in 2016.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The democrats need to do better messaging but I doubt it will happen when people like pelosi and schumer are running the party. We need the young firebrands to cut through all this bullshit. Think about how fox news brainwashes the people that watch that. We will never counteract that. What we need to do is inspire more people and Pelosi just doesn't do that.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Wonder what time voting starts at this rate.

As late as the GOP members can make it. Every amendment they submit they can ramble for another 5 minutes each. I'm assuming they'll break for lunch eventually, but I'm thinking it'll be a 6-7pm vote to move it out of committee.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

ManBoyChef posted:

The democrats need to do better messaging but I doubt it will happen when people like pelosi and schumer are running the party. We need the young firebrands to cut through all this bullshit. Think about how fox news brainwashes the people that watch that. We will never counteract that. What we need to do is inspire more people and Pelosi just doesn't do that.
Remember the clapping thing? Any smart person would've latched onto that or even let people guess, but Pelosi went out of her way to say it was genuine.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

Edit: Didn't realize that the "impeachment manager" was a team of individuals and not a single person. Hopefully we'll get both Schiff and Swalwell, at the very least.

I'll agree with not liking Nadler holding the gavel. BUT, the Dems on Judiciary have been really, REALLY well coordinated and I'm assuming he had a hand in that.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

refleks posted:

Yes, but this bullshit decorum, where democrats take republicans' disingenuous arguments seriously, and not ridiculing them every loving time, needs to end.

I'm normally 100 percent on this same page, but this is the one time I think ignoring their tantrums is better. As soon as they start engaging them on their bullshit, it lends credence to it and allows the MSM spin to be a partisan slap fight instead of an impeachment.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Rep. Debbie Lesko: Bribery and Treasery

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PoizenJam posted:

Rep. Debbie Lesko: Bribery and Treasery

Now I'm just imagining her in that suit festooned in question marks like a certain other Lesko

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't believe much in "moving the needle" but CSPAN just had on two 'independents' back to back supporting impeachment.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

refleks posted:

I think it probably depended on the colour of the skin of the person in front of him for how tough on crime he was when handing down sentences.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Now I'm just imagining her in that suit festooned in question marks like a certain other Lesko

I see that fucker downtown(DC) all the time he walks around in those suits on the daily like some kind of batman super villain.
Even his cars have question marks all over them.

Also, Jaime Raskin is my rep he's a good dude.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Thumposaurus posted:

I see that fucker downtown(DC) all the time he walks around in those suits on the daily like some kind of batman super villain.
Even his cars have question marks all over them.

He still does the schtick? I havent seen a commercial in a while, I though he moved onto a new grift. What was even in that book, anyway?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Meatball posted:

He still does the schtick? I havent seen a commercial in a while, I though he moved onto a new grift. What was even in that book, anyway?

From what I recall it's basically an index of various government grant programs, most of which the average person can't even qualify for, that you could find out about via a simple google search nowadays.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting this as yet another reminder of how much bullshit is spewing out of Republican mouths.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

refleks posted:

All judges in Texas are elected, and this moron came out of the absolute dumbest most backwards part of the state. You don't have to be qualified there, just a republican.

brae
Feb 2, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

Crossposting this as yet another reminder of how much bullshit is spewing out of Republican mouths.

Right, but this is the classic bullshit refutation problem, now adopted as standard technique by seemingly every Republican elected official: I can spout a number of 100% bullshit talking points with no effort whatsoever. To refute my bullshit, you're going to have to spend an order of magnitude more effort on things like facts and substantive argument. In the meantime, I've overwhelmed you with more of the bullshit flood. This is Jim Jordan's classic technique.

From Sartre's "Anti-Semite and Jew":

Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Angry_Ed posted:

From what I recall it's basically an index of various government grant programs, most of which the average person can't even qualify for, that you could find out about via a simple google search nowadays.

Before his gimmick he was hired by large companies as a consultant to find them all kinds of tax loopholes and grants and eventually decided he wanted to help normal people with those things instead. Yeah nowadays you can find it with google but back in the day he probably helped a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
USING FLIM-FLAMMATORY LANGUAGE

this fuckin' yokel-rear end motherfucker