Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_0fM_fgHDI

At 0:35 in this video the player waits for an enemy to fire a bullet, uses the time stop power while it's in midair, deflects an attack to charge up the multiple swing combo, lets the first swing off on the guy who fired the shot then the second swing hits the bullet in midair and propels it into the person they wanted to kill with it. Sure the bullet would have gone there on its own but the idea of smacking a bullet with a backswing like it's a tennis ball to unfreeze time and add extra insult to injury is possibly the most badass thing anyone has ever done

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Dec 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

At 0:35 in this video the player waits for an enemy to fire a bullet, uses the time stop power while it's in midair, deflects an attack to charge up the multiple swing combo, lets the first swing off on the guy who fired the shot then the second swing hits the bullet in midair and propels it into the person they wanted to kill with it. Sure the bullet would have gone there on its own but the idea of smacking a bullet with a backswing like it's a tennis ball to unfreeze time and add extra insult to injury is possibly the most badass thing anyone has ever done
This guy is an actual wizard and I hate him.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Jesus CHRIST

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

Killing efficiently is one thing, but this guy is just mean :stonklol:.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow I really suck at Dishonored

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Dishonored makes me feel like the worst at games because I bumble through playthroughs feeling mildly pleased whenever I pull off a small trick and then I watch stuff like this

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dishonored should have a free-play mode where you can replay a mission with all your tools, and you can add modifiers like unlimited ammo or tougher enemies to spice it up. Dishonored 2 was great and all but it felt a waste to have your powers removed in 2 missions out of 9.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dishonored should have a free-play mode where you can replay a mission with all your tools, and you can add modifiers like unlimited ammo or tougher enemies to spice it up. Dishonored 2 was great and all but it felt a waste to have your powers removed in 2 missions out of 9.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I felt strongly discouraged from using all the fun murder tools because there were too many incentives to stay stealthy and clean hands.

That's why D2 introduced the clockwork soldiers, so you had something you could absolutely brutalize without feeling like it cost you something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

I felt strongly discouraged from using all the fun murder tools because there were too many incentives to stay stealthy and clean hands.

That's why D2 introduced the clockwork soldiers, so you had something you could absolutely brutalize without feeling like it cost you something.

You can get the low chaos ending with a pretty high bodycount, it's a lot of fun if you sneak around but drop bodies when you get caught. The chaos system was just badly explained in the first game, which wasn't helped by people trying to ghost/pacifist their first runthrough.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow I really suck at Dishonored

Werong Bustope posted:

Dishonored makes me feel like the worst at games because I bumble through playthroughs feeling mildly pleased whenever I pull off a small trick and then I watch stuff like this

I wouldn't feel too bad. Those videos are heavily, heavily rehearsed and often rely on infinite mana hackery so they can spam powers to the fullest creative extent.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can get the low chaos ending with a pretty high bodycount, it's a lot of fun if you sneak around but drop bodies when you get caught. The chaos system was just badly explained in the first game, which wasn't helped by people trying to ghost/pacifist their first runthrough.

Any game like this that has an achievement where you essentially have to ignore half of the game's mechanics sucks. I mean, the achievement sucks, the game can still be fun, but yeah, it leads to a lot of people trying to get it then not realizing the wild poo poo you can do.

Like, in the game Sundered, you can corrupt or destroy these shardstones you gain in order to permanently modify your abilities. One of the trophies/achievements it to do the entire game without destroying/corrupting the shards at all, leaving you with the default abilities. It kind of sucks, since you can unlock some really cool stuff.

Edit: Wrong thread for gripes, so something better: in Luigi's Mansion, it feels good to just vacuum up a ton of poo poo lying around. Just pointing it at a shelf and seeing dozens of things just hit the nozzle and explode into debris/money is so satisfying.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Dec 12, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I know I've complained about this before, but another problem with Dishonored is that even if you do try going all-out with the lethal approach there's not a lot of granularity to the combat so you basically just end up with 10 slightly different ways to instantly ruin a guard's day.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'll always play those games unseen and non-lethal and no amount of shiny toys can dissuade me. :colbert: It's how I always find them the most satisfying, I'm fine seeing someone else do the wild crazy stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

Any game like this that has an achievement where you essentially have to ignore half of the game's mechanics sucks. I mean, the achievement sucks, the game can still be fun, but yeah, it leads to a lot of people trying to get it then not realizing the wild poo poo you can do.

Half Life 2 Episode 1's One Free Bullet run is the best way to play the game and the rare instance where the dumb cheevo gimmick run is fun to do. The one bullet is because you need to shoot out a padlock.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morpheus posted:

And then there's the No Powers Run achievement in 2, even more fun.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Kanfy posted:

I'll always play those games unseen and non-lethal and no amount of shiny toys can dissuade me. :colbert: It's how I always find them the most satisfying, I'm fine seeing someone else do the wild crazy stuff.

Same tbh, I make a dutiful effort with Dishonored because it is fun to gently caress about with the murder toys but in general I can't resist being a stealth nerd.

RBA Starblade posted:

Half Life 2 Episode 1's One Free Bullet run is the best way to play the game and the rare instance where the dumb cheevo gimmick run is fun to do. The one bullet is because you need to shoot out a padlock.

this is the truth

small ghost has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Dec 12, 2019

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Nobody ever told me Dishonored was a stealth-themed character action game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ghosting missions without touching a guard feels great in stealth games but I'm terrible at them myself so I can never manage it. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was fun as gently caress though and I enjoyed leaving mountains of dead guys around. :colbert:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think I remember reading a developer interview about Dishonored 1, where they said that they had built the game around the idea of the player killing the hell out of guards. Once they started playtesting the game, and saw people going out of their way to do passive ghost runs, they went back and added in more non-lethal ways to get through the game.

I never finished Dishonored 2, but the first one was great with the world building and mythology they wove into it. Really made me feel like it was a unique place and not just a steampunk England.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Like, in the game Sundered, you can corrupt or destroy these shardstones you gain in order to permanently modify your abilities. One of the trophies/achievements it to do the entire game without destroying/corrupting the shards at all, leaving you with the default abilities. It kind of sucks, since you can unlock some really cool stuff.

As long as you fight the last boss without destroying/corrupting one of the shards you still get that ending/achievement. It's counterintuitive, but I was able to get all of the achievements on two playthroughs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do like how it's entirely possible to get through Dishonored without killing a single person, that was a neat change

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

Ghosting missions without touching a guard feels great in stealth games but I'm terrible at them myself so I can never manage it. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was fun as gently caress though and I enjoyed leaving mountains of dead guys around. :colbert:

It does feel quite good, but to feel fully satisfied by a stealth game I need to be able to knock guards out and leave them in strange and compromising places, double points if there's a bathroom in a map so I can see how many unconscious guards will fit in a stall.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Retro Futurist posted:

I do like how it's entirely possible to get through Dishonored without killing a single person, that was a neat change

Directly killing, you mean. Some of the alternates were far worse than a quick death in my opinion.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

Directly killing, you mean. Some of the alternates were far worse than a quick death in my opinion.

"You don't have to kill her! I'll just take her away to live on my Secret Rape Island, and nobody will ever see her again!"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Werong Bustope posted:

It does feel quite good, but to feel fully satisfied by a stealth game I need to be able to knock guards out and leave them in strange and compromising places, double points if there's a bathroom in a map so I can see how many unconscious guards will fit in a stall.

Still the best thing i've ever done in Dishonored 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meanwhile I tried to be stealthy and non-lethal Dishonored 2 so I fired a tranq arrow at a guard. It hit him in his helmet, instead of his face, which caused him to stagger backward and fall off a cliff. His partner was very upset and so was I

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Zombie Guy posted:

"You don't have to kill her! I'll just take her away to live on my Secret Rape Island, and nobody will ever see her again!"

Fun (I... guess it's fun?) fact, the Boyle Masquerade Party is one of the few missions referenced in Dishonored 2 that establishes a canonical Dishonored 1 choice, and this is it. Because of the kidnapping, one of the other sisters went insane, and the third sister saw her as an embarrassment to the family and walled her up Cask of Amontillado style in an unused section of their estate never to be seen again. But in the Dishonored 2 companion novel she IS seen again and is exploited with the promise of freedom by the assassin faction in exchange for revealing a secret vault or something... and after revealing the information she is then killed by them to use her bones to make outsider charms. So that's nice. Dishonored does not take place in a universe with a functional moral compass.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Dec 12, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Meanwhile I tried to be stealthy and non-lethal Dishonored 2 so I fired a tranq arrow at a guard. It hit him in his helmet, instead of his face, which caused him to stagger backward and fall off a cliff. His partner was very upset and so was I

Source

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember, all takedowns in the Batman games are nonlethal, including major limb or head trauma and getting hit by the Batmobile at full throttle

haveblue has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Dec 12, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Those "nonlethal but indescribably monstrous" choices specifically were a reaction to playtesters latching on to the idea of 100% no kill runs.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

haveblue posted:

getting hit by the Batmobile at full throttle

no you see they were merely struck by the taser field around the car, they’re fine when you plow into them at 120 mph

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ones where you just lobotimize a guy so he can't hold a thought for more than a second and the one where you get a guy's tongue cut out, brand him as a heretic, and he ends up an insane hobo dying of megaplague were also suuuuper hosed up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another fun little thing you can do is late in the game (low chaos) there's a side mission where some survivors are trying to escape the city but there's a ton of guards in the way. Your goal is to deactivate a watchtower and take care of the mech suit dudes patrolling the street. When you do so they actually run out to safety, not just with a fade to black or whatever, and the mission is marked complete.

...And then you can reactivate the watchtower and have the mech suit guards rain hellfire upon them while they're running away. They all make it safely, but the game specifically takes credit for completing the mission away from you because you were a dick. It pops up and says you failed even though it already popped up and said you completed it and everything. :allears:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

The ones where you just lobotimize a guy so he can't hold a thought for more than a second

Yeah, that one was really disturbing, especially the audio log you can find of another villain chewing him out for failing at some task while he can barely comprehend why any of it is happening.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dishonored is awesome because in so many games you can be pointlessly cruel and there's no reason for you to do it and the game usually doesn't even call you out on it. But Dishonored not only lets you be cruel and has a response to it in nearly every situation, it also takes place in a universe where horrible cruelty is a completely normal facet of life, and so if poo poo like sending some aristocrats to work as tongue-less slaves in their own salt mine happens it's just like "yup that's Gristol for ya"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I always heard Dishonered wasn't going to have a moral compass but someone decided since it had non-lethal it had to have alternate routes

And since every non lethal is just worse in every way I believe it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:lol:

Also no, if accidentally dropping one of my recruits in the ocean puts me in a game over, letting a guy fall off a cliff is also a Demon Snake move :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC when I beat the basic mission in Ground Zeroes I took care of a lot of guards by knocking them out then throwing them into the seas below and still got a no-kills bonus. But it's been a long time so I could very well be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC when I beat the basic mission in Ground Zeroes I took care of a lot of guards by knocking them out then throwing them into the seas below and still got a no-kills bonus. But it's been a long time so I could very well be misremembering.

Those were harsher times, I'm talking about the kinder, more caring Big Boss of the 1980s.