Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What a wild ride

Edit: gently caress you top of page have a short sequence from the Sui offshoot manga to the wandering cook isekai

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

This happens in the manga in chapter 11 (the one from two months ago) except they don't show nothing happening in the end but leave it up to your imagination.

Yeah the novel itself skims over that scene and it works out ok, but then he had to go and write his expanded version at the end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
George Washington is the best isekai protagonist because his ally it the strongest Goddess of them all. America :patriot:
And supported by the immovable monk Benjamin Franklin and master swordsman John Adams.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I really don't know which thread the put this in, so I chose this one. It isn't an isekai, but has otome game tropes, but isn't really a romance thing either.

But, The Holy Grail of Eris looks to be a wild ride so far.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Nalin posted:

I really don't know which thread the put this in, so I chose this one. It isn't an isekai, but has otome game tropes, but isn't really a romance thing either.

Not technically an isekai though. More of a period drama.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SpazmasterX posted:

Not technically an isekai though. More of a period drama.

Yes, but there have been debates about where stuff with otome-game tropes fits in. Is there a better thread for something like this?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, the "reincarnated as the villainess" genre seems to have reached the point where actual reincarnation is optional.

Frankly so has the "fantasy world that is exactly like a video game with skill points and stuff" genre.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Nalin posted:

Dead villainess as a spirit guide, and questions about whether or not she was as evil.as the stories made out... I'll follow this one.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

So uh, Russian Isekai is really goddamn weird.

quote:

Can an insect decisively affect the course of World War II? Maybe if inside the bee Colonel-engineer Peter Degtyarev, who found himself in August 2014 a heroic death during the fighting in the Donbass.

quote:

I died in a Vodka-related accident and got sent into the past. Can I save the righteous Romanov dynasty with modern tanks?

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 20, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Someone brought this up in another thread but maybe you can help find it, do you know of a particular Russian isekai (time travel really) about I think a train engineer who introduces trains to Russia a few hundred years early?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A new chapter chapter of Shinju no Nectar continues the slow built of the setting and adds an interesting wrinkle to what was a pretty obvious mystery until now.

So Arlen and Rubian aren't God's native to Albion, but instead what I'm assuming is the analogue to Denmark in this setting through. Yet the most prestigious military academy for men and women in Albion is named after both of these Gods, even after they attacked the native land of Arlen/Rubian and even made explicit moves to destroying places of worship? And there's a cult mostly populated by women who worship Arlen which is ironic given that the history of this world states that Rubian rejected the advances of her male counterpart.
This continues to be a surprisingly substantial story even though there's still half a chapter dedicated to getting as many tits out as possible. Including this month's chapter which has...one way to avoid detection when you're sneaking into a hedonistic cult's lair during the group orgy. I'll give the writing duo this, they find a way to make it make sense 80% of the time.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

So uh, Russian Isekai is really goddamn weird.

I want to read about the bee

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I WANT TO READ ABOUT TRAINS

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Brought To You By posted:

A new chapter chapter of Shinju no Nectar continues the slow built of the setting and adds an interesting wrinkle to what was a pretty obvious mystery until now.

So Arlen and Rubian aren't God's native to Albion, but instead what I'm assuming is the analogue to Denmark in this setting through. Yet the most prestigious military academy for men and women in Albion is named after both of these Gods, even after they attacked the native land of Arlen/Rubian and even made explicit moves to destroying places of worship? And there's a cult mostly populated by women who worship Arlen which is ironic given that the history of this world states that Rubian rejected the advances of her male counterpart.
This continues to be a surprisingly substantial story even though there's still half a chapter dedicated to getting as many tits out as possible. Including this month's chapter which has...one way to avoid detection when you're sneaking into a hedonistic cult's lair during the group orgy. I'll give the writing duo this, they find a way to make it make sense 80% of the time.

Isn't it just Ireland

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Argas posted:

Isn't it just Ireland

Well if I didn't have Vinland Saga on the brains and bothered to look it up. Yes, I would have realized that Erin is the old nam for Ireland.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've recommended The world of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs before, but the manga completed the first volume and I wanna reiterate it's fun.

The TL;DR is that the MC is a brother who was forced to complete an Otome game by his sister, and pulls a 48-hour marathon to do so. Then he falls down some stairs and dies. He reincarnates into that world, and decides to try to have a fun life, but immediately almost gets sold off to a fat old woman as a disposable husband. He earns his freedom and tries to find a nice girl to marry, but gets put into the advanced class at his academy which is full of scheming noble women instead of nice ones. He tries to avoid the main plot because he doesn't want to be involved, but a MYSTERIOUS OTHER PERSON is pulling the strings to replace the protagonist.

Major spoiler
The Mysterious girl is the MC's sister who reincarnate and is basically impersonating how the real protagonist would act in order to get a reverse harem ending. The MC ends up befriending the real protagonist AND the villainess, and fucks up his sister's plans pretty badly.

I like it because the MC is an rear end in a top hat, his equipment is an AI that berates and insults him, and everyone basically hates his guts but he's still just chilling and having fun doing poo poo his own way. It does have slaves (Which, weirdly enough, are higher than most men on the social ladder) and also almost all the women in the series are complete bitches which will not surprise anyone when they learn that it's from the author of Sevens. Even so, it's fun enough that I think it's worth checking out if you have some time.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 26, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't like it because it's written by a guy who loathes otome games with his entire being yet apparently has no idea what they're like. Sounds like an anti-feminist tract, tbh.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Clarste posted:

I don't like it because it's written by a guy who loathes otome games with his entire being yet apparently has no idea what they're like. Sounds like an anti-feminist tract, tbh.

At first I felt like it was very MGTOW, but honestly it's only the noblewomen who are horrible bitches and when I think about it, that isn't too much different than all the other Isekais where the nobles are all conniving backstabbers who conspire against everyone.

Of course I'm not all the way through so it could get much worse and I haven't hit that part just yet.

That said, if you're not into that here's a fun and cute DOUBLE ISEKAI Welcome to Japan, Elf-San.

The MC Isekai's into another world every night, but then in a TWIST his elf friend Isekai's into OUR WORLD!

Features lots of the 'japanese food is so delicious' Isekai trope but is very cute as well.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 26, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in 20 chapters she will discover french fries and then she'll get chubby and have to work out

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Captain Invictus posted:

in 20 chapters she will discover french fries and then she'll get chubby and have to work out

Oh nooooo definitely not looking forward to that

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

khy posted:

That said, if you're not into that here's a fun and cute DOUBLE ISEKAI Welcome to Japan, Elf-San.

The MC Isekai's into another world every night, but then in a TWIST his elf friend Isekai's into OUR WORLD!

Features lots of the 'japanese food is so delicious' Isekai trope but is very cute as well.

I can confirm, that one is absolutely a cute, fluffy story. I've actually read the novels a bit and it does have some typical fantasy elements and fights, but then it goes back to being cute and fluffy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Solo Levelling! It's not an Isekai but who cares it's got 90% of an Isekai's tropes.

ETA until the MC gets called in to solo the entire ant's nest and gain weirdass new ant ghost shadow things? I'm guessing 3 more chapters and he'll be there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solo Leveling also had some weird falling out on Mangadex and now it goes from chapter 1 to 75 so if you wanna read all the chapters use this website

https://manganelo.com/manga/pn918005

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Solo Leveling also had some weird falling out on Mangadex and now it goes from chapter 1 to 75 so if you wanna read all the chapters use this website

https://manganelo.com/manga/pn918005

Apparently Meraki Scans (Who left Mangadex because DRAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA) handed the project over to Jaimini's Box. Some people prefer the JB translations, so here's a link for those : https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/series/solo-leveling

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think solo leveling mostly does a good job of supplying an absurd teen power fantasy while avoiding the absolutely rancid misogyny most other entries in the genre are filled to the brim with

lol at the girl who is disgusted at the smell of male adventurers but is mysteriously attracted to the protagonist, tho

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's because he uses axe body spray

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
TBF, JB's work on Kaguya-sama has been spectacular, so I'm willing to cute them some slack.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think solo leveling mostly does a good job of supplying an absurd teen power fantasy while avoiding the absolutely rancid misogyny most other entries in the genre are filled to the brim with

lol at the girl who is disgusted at the smell of male adventurers but is mysteriously attracted to the protagonist, tho

That's a really obtuse way of looking at it.

It's every adventurer. Anyone who fights monsters regularly loving reeks aside from him because of his weird second awakening/gamer position.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Venuz Patrol posted:

Massive novel spoilers: They go on a date toward the end of the story but ultimately it doesn't work out. He's pretty ambivalent toward relationships in general.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
IT'S SPREADING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2m-08cOAbc

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New Isekai that looks like it may very well be good

Wicked Trapper : Hunter of Heroes

The MC is a game dev that produces insanely challenging traps and dungeons, and gets fired because his poo poo is too hard. So he's summoned to hell where he gets to use his trap mastery to murder the poo poo out of heroes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why do people like Reincarnated as a Slime? I only just started, but the novels have been an endless series of shopping lists. I'm having a hard time getting through volume two.

He's not even a loving slime by the end of volume 1. Like my god, there goes the original hook.

I've noticed a few isekai where the MC is constantly acquiring new abilities and spending pages and pages explaining what they do. Maybe because writing drama is hard and filling in character sheets is easy.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

khy posted:

The MC is a game dev that produces insanely challenging traps and dungeons, and gets fired because his poo poo is too hard. So he's summoned to hell where he gets to use his trap mastery to murder the poo poo out of heroes.
Well I gave it the benefit of the doubt from your post but nope, full edgelord alert

At least this is the right thread for it

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

It took one chapter for me to go hard pass. Can't recommend at all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Reposting my request from the other isekai thread:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais/mangas/manwhas/web novels what have you where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or evil powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people? I love the concept so I'm collecting a list to slowly work through.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you sure you're not thinking of Re:zero?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Artificer posted:

Reposting my request from the other isekai thread:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai? Was it good?

What are some good isekais/mangas/manwhas/web novels what have you where the protagonist or some friends that have spooky powers or evil powers or skills normally attached to evil characters? But are good people? I love the concept so I'm collecting a list to slowly work through.

it's possible you're talking about re: zero, but "dark souls the isekai" is probably goblin slayer. which isn't actually an isekai as far as i know, funny enough

haven't seen it but the fundamental hook of the story is that every female character in the story is at threat of being gang raped by goblins. for some reason it's wildly popular

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ninjewtsu posted:

it's possible you're talking about re: zero, but "dark souls the isekai" is probably goblin slayer. which isn't actually an isekai as far as i know, funny enough

haven't seen it but the fundamental hook of the story is that every female character in the story is at threat of being gang raped by goblins. for some reason it's wildly popular

Could also be "The Strange Adventure of a Broke Mercenary", but that is also a pure fantasy story without any isekai elements.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have seen Re:Zero and it was alright.

I will pass on Goblin Slayer. I think someone posted it here accompanied by a screencap of a manga of some knight running into a large troll, being surprised, and dying immediately. Was edited with the Dark Souls YOU DIED in the last panel. Was it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Artificer posted:

What was that isekai someone posted before that was described as Dark Souls the Isekai?
Uhh maybe this? That's not a helpful description really, lotta things get called 'dark souls' nowadays

Artificer posted:

Was it good?
no, so it fits right in