Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Any time you doubt that the crowdfunding numbers are real, or that there could be so many gullible nerds willing to pull out their wallets to the tune of two hundred dollars right now for a game that has shown no signs of going anywhere in the past 4 years, please consider the following case study.

The new spaceship does nothing that we haven't seen. It is the 300th single-seat fighter added to the game. It has a big gun and no interior. It punches above its weight on paper and will, inevitably, be nerfed heavily once it is actually launched. It is not flight-ready, i.e. you are buying a jpeg and nothing more. It costs 220 dollars.

It has only been on sale for an hour and there are twenty-five separate threads on reddit from people orgasming over this stupid poo poo.

Ares Regular Or Ember?
Should You Buy The Ares Starfighter
Polaris Carrying An Ares?
Ares(-10) Inferno
The Sound You Just Heard Was Thousands of Vanguards Crying Out In Panic
Monster, Come To My Hangar
How Long Can We Expect The Ares To Be On Sale?
Only The Ares Inferno Can Mount The S7 Gatling!
Opinion: The off-center weapon mount does the Ares a disservice.
Let me guess: "It punches above its weight"?
Crusader Industry Ares
The Crusader Ares Ion
The Crusader Ares Inferno
Crusader Ares Available For Concierge
Gib s7 brrrrt
ARES!!!! SIZE 7 GUN!!!
When You Can't get into The Ares Page
Crusader Ares Store Page
Ion or Inferno
The Crusader Ares Is Here!
Crusader Ares Concierge Pre-Sale Page for Those Interested
Crusader Ares Starfighter Brochure
Crusader Ares Transmission is finally here!
Crusader Ares not able to purchase, but showing up in the ship menu for Crusader Industries.
Ares up on storepage!
Cursader Ares Inferno and Ion
Ares Variants show in Pledge store
Ares variants in the Pledge store

Let this be a lesson to us: there is no ship so pointless, so johnny-come-lately, so overpriced and so unnecessary that it will not generate an absolute feeding frenzy among the remaining fan base. All you have to do is give it the newest, biggest gun and these morons will be on that poo poo. You don't even have to build it, just put a new number on your sales brochures. It's literally printing money.

So that raises the question: can this ever stop on its own? How many more years of nothing need to happen, how many more compromises, how much more completely broken poo poo? Or does this have to come to a hard stop due to an external force acting against it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's wild that the average experience of SC is a steady progression from "this seems like a scam lol" to "having investigated further, it's much worse than I thought".

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

The idea that players are going to come to your ship to purchase stuff during the couple hours you might be logged in at night and not just try and blow you up is already laughable.

This all feeds into the backers need to feel superior to those who have spent less. Buy a big luxury yacht so you can host grand parties were Citizens from across the universe come to celebrate you and your wealth! Buy a space trading outpost were Citizens far and wide will flock to buy wares.

What happens when CIG figures out how to have more than 50 people on a server and suddenly there are hundreds of space trading outpost ships in a single system. Whose gonna bother coming to your ship? Why not just head down to a planet or space station and buy from an NPC whose more reliably available?

None of it holds up to five minutes of scrutiny.

Why would you ever buy stock items from a player? Presumably they will have to have bought them from an NPC and then offered them at a markup, making it cheaper to just go to the same NPC? I guess if there was a long distance trip involved you might use the space mall, but since the game is one star system wide...

How would selling to NPC's work? If you could buy stock poo poo and sell it at any markup and have a guarantee that bots are going to land and buy your poo poo, didn't CIG just break the economy? The whole game would just become farms of these malls extracting fresh money from bots.

If you buy stuff from the Mall does it transfer to your inventory? If you move the boxes out of your inventory do they become property of the mall again, a-la the way inventory currently works in the actual game? Has any of this even remotely taken into consideration the way the actual game mechanics work right now?

What is the ETA on any of this given that in year seven there is still no NPC ship traffic that's not generated in single locations for missions? Is it even on the roadmap or is this another Endeavor/Orion/Starliner/Hull-C situation?

---

That's the part that makes me legitimately angry- it's all so transparently phony. They have never backed any of this horseshit up, but nobody in the community has the ability to reason critically anymore.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Popete posted:

The idea that players are going to come to your ship to purchase stuff during the couple hours you might be logged in at night and not just try and blow you up is already laughable.

This all feeds into the backers need to feel superior to those who have spent less. Buy a big luxury yacht so you can host grand parties were Citizens from across the universe come to celebrate you and your wealth! Buy a space trading outpost were Citizens far and wide will flock to buy wares.

What happens when CIG figures out how to have more than 50 people on a server and suddenly there are hundreds of space trading outpost ships in a single system. Whose gonna bother coming to your ship? Why not just head down to a planet or space station and buy from an NPC whose more reliably available? Why would another player or heck even one of their super savvy "quanta" come to your ship to buy marked up wares when they could just go buy those wares from the same source you did for less money?

To be honest the whole more than 50 people on an instance thing alone just seems very improbable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It is descending into the depths of madness if you try to analyze how any of this stuff would work. On the face of it it's so simple, it's a player trading outpost. Sounds fun! But given any level of thought in order for it to work requires so much other stuff to be in the game and working properly that it quickly turns into a pure fantasy that is clearly not going to be implemented in game for a very long time if ever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

jarlywarly posted:

To be honest the whole more than 50 people on an instance thing alone just seems very improbable.

This is the thing I always come back to when discussing CIG and it's largest problem by far. Cause you can point to a hundred thousands reasons why it's pure fantasy (the trading outpost ship we are discussing now being a good example) but ultimately all the bullshit dreams CIG is selling hinges on one major factor and that is having a large player count on a single server and they are nowhere close to getting that working so the rest of it isn't even worth discussing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Popete posted:

It is descending into the depths of madness if you try to analyze how any of this stuff would work. On the face of it it's so simple, it's a player trading outpost. Sounds fun! But given any level of thought in order for it to work requires so much other stuff to be in the game and working properly that it quickly turns into a pure fantasy that is clearly not going to be implemented in game for a very long time if ever.

The decriptions of the outpost are just vague enough to allow the backers to individually run with whatever interpretation fits their personal fantasy. Star Citizen has found a way to monetize the impossible: the less real something is, the more people will pay for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scruffpuff posted:

So that raises the question: can this ever stop on its own? How many more years of nothing need to happen, how many more compromises, how much more completely broken poo poo? Or does this have to come to a hard stop due to an external force acting against it?

Without external forces acting, it'll probably be another 5 years or so before it even starts to stop, and I'm pretty sure the true believers will go to their graves dreaming of railguns

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Scruffpuff posted:

Some people on the inside are just going to take the money and run, misappropriate funds or some stupid poo poo.

I'm pretty sure there's more than one person who'd rather just cash in a big fat retirement check than work on a nonexistent video game for the rest of their life.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sabreseven posted:

The "Have a nice day" speech when entering and leaving ports always used to crack me up, soooooo out of place. :D

That cracked me up too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UunQXXxAWY&t=22s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

So now that the entire media complex, and the normal gaming community, has realized what Star Citizen is, and they're not launching legal disputes against people who say Mean Things™, I have to wonder what CIG's end game is. It was one thing in 2014 or 2015 to be part of the corporate machine at CIG and trying to claim visionary underdog status, but in 2019? The morale has to be unbelievably bad, when any given day you'll come home to relax and read another story about the scam you're going back to continue working for the next morning. Soul-destroying.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The only way I see for the Space Mall to work is as a transshipment point. Player miners could dump off ore in the carrier and other players could ship it. Or players could buy drugs from illegal ports and stockpile them in your space mall awaiting better market conditions or something. You don't really need shops for that though, and THEY REMOVED THE CARGO HOLD!

It can't work.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The only way I see for the Space Mall to work is as a transshipment point. Player miners could dump off ore in the carrier and other players could ship it. Or players could buy drugs from illegal ports and stockpile them in your space mall awaiting better market conditions or something. You don't really need shops for that though, and THEY REMOVED THE CARGO HOLD!

It can't work.

Nothing like this works in a game the size of a postage stamp. It can work in huge games like EVE, but for anything to even appear to work in Star Citizen everyone has to fake it and playact it all out, like Rex did. All he did was get grown men to play Barbie dolls in space, and set up all his little figurines in just the right place to make it look like they were playing a game.

Every ship CIG announces is just one more variant of the Barbie Dream House.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Popete posted:

Is there any worse portent for a game when a review has the word "potential" in it? Anytime I look at an EA game on Steam and a bunch of the reviews say something about how much "potential" it has it's pretty much automatically a no buy.

Star Citizen is entirely made up of "potential".

It has so much potential energy waiting to be released when it comes back down to reality.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

None of it holds up to five minutes of scrutiny.

Why would you ever buy stock items from a player? Presumably they will have to have bought them from an NPC and then offered them at a markup, making it cheaper to just go to the same NPC? I guess if there was a long distance trip involved you might use the space mall, but since the game is one star system wide...

How would selling to NPC's work? If you could buy stock poo poo and sell it at any markup and have a guarantee that bots are going to land and buy your poo poo, didn't CIG just break the economy? The whole game would just become farms of these malls extracting fresh money from bots.

If you buy stuff from the Mall does it transfer to your inventory? If you move the boxes out of your inventory do they become property of the mall again, a-la the way inventory currently works in the actual game? Has any of this even remotely taken into consideration the way the actual game mechanics work right now?

What is the ETA on any of this given that in year seven there is still no NPC ship traffic that's not generated in single locations for missions? Is it even on the roadmap or is this another Endeavor/Orion/Starliner/Hull-C situation?

---

That's the part that makes me legitimately angry- it's all so transparently phony. They have never backed any of this horseshit up, but nobody in the community has the ability to reason critically anymore.

Wait. Are you actually asking if anyone at CIG or any of the backers have actually thought how this will all work?

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Even then, the ship has to sit in one place. Are you going to just hang out and pretend to be a fabulously savvy businessman or will it end up like those lovely Korean MMOs that let a player park their chara in town and just shout spam selling crap?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Agony Aunt posted:

Wait. Are you actually asking if anyone at CIG or any of the backers have actually thought how this will all work?

Hold up a second. I thought Star Citizen was a perpetual development grift game. Are you telling me there's more to it than that?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

The decriptions of the outpost are just vague enough to allow the backers to individually run with whatever interpretation fits their personal fantasy. Star Citizen has found a way to monetize the impossible: the less real something is, the more people will pay for it.

and you know what makes the sale of infinite dreams possible?
the fact that they chose space/the universe as their setting!
how much poo poo could you sell untill you can fill a crater the size of skyrim?
only so much until it becomes ridiculous.

but space provides infinite room to sell infinite poo poo!

also this way backers can justify their addiction by saying that naysayers and critics are just to small-minded to understand the infinite possibilities of spacetravel.

in a nutshell: i think the space setting greatly helps in keeping this show going.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I enjoy CIG's confidence in selling more poo poo that relies on mechanics that don't exist, which in turn rely on foundational mechanics that aren't planned. All of which rely on basic engine mechanics that CIG can't get working.

You know what to do, CIG, start selling Dyson sphere building kits and sun-seeding ships. Might as well go whole hog. When you can't do anything, might as well claim to be able to do everything!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

Nothing like this works in a game the size of a postage stamp. It can work in huge games like EVE, but for anything to even appear to work in Star Citizen everyone has to fake it and playact it all out, like Rex did. All he did was get grown men to play Barbie dolls in space, and set up all his little figurines in just the right place to make it look like they were playing a game.

Every ship CIG announces is just one more variant of the Barbie Dream House.

speaking of Rex, I missed this nugget:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1190366887600951301?s=20

edit: I see the thread didn't miss it either but man, I just saw it today and holy moly that's some funny poo poo

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 12, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Asmodai_00 posted:

speaking of Rex, I missed this nugget:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1190366887600951301?s=20

edit: I see the thread didn't miss it either but man, I just saw it today and holy moly that's some funny poo poo

Has he streamed any CIG content since the facebook move?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

From the comments over there:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beexoffel posted:

From the comments over there:

Shroud is still running? Holy poo poo, who the gently caress is trying to play that thing?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

monkeytek posted:

Yeah but it's clearly not his focus since the new CoD came out.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
How long until Joe Blubbers turns up?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scruffpuff posted:

Shroud is still running? Holy poo poo, who the gently caress is trying to play that thing?

My favorite part of SotA was that, somehow, Shooter Jennings got involved

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

precision posted:

My favorite part of SotA was that, somehow, Shooter Jennings got involved

I didn't believe you until I just looked it up. I'll repeat something I've said before: I don't care much for this alternate timeline I seem to have slipped into some time in the last decade or so. Don't like it at all.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

Not really, unless you count starting up his own cult;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBZBuSFczak

edit:

You're not fan of the synergies that a pair of mediocre brands can provide?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

Look on his Facebook page, he still streams SC about twice a week, sandwiched between CoD streams. He just did one yesterday.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scruffpuff posted:

I didn't believe you until I just looked it up. I'll repeat something I've said before: I don't care much for this alternate timeline I seem to have slipped into some time in the last decade or so. Don't like it at all.

It's a wild ride baby

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's why the backers use the defense of "How is it a scam? Explain exactly how."

Pedantic definition is one of the tactics; ultimately it has no effect on the outcomes of this whole thing, so it's not really worth bothering with the attempt to prove fraud other than most rules of Commerce (like the actual laws) require you to receive something other than a promissory note of a future value.

Closest drat model you can get to this crowdfunding bullshit is that of shares in terms that the shares (or bonds) are largely valued based on a consensus opinion, but that's backed by around a hundred years of finance law that isn't actually the tightest regulatory structure on the planet.

It's one of the reasons I'm happy watching this mess; the defenses being offered really don't match up to the simple reality that CiG is foundering, and has since the day after the Kickstarter hangover disappeared.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, like right now there's a debate going on in the comments of the Massively OP article about how SC's monetization is fine because you can spend thousands of dollars in other F2P MMOs. As if that comparison makes it any better...! But it's an aggravating thing to argue against, so in the end they give up.

How fan dumping 31k makes it a bad model? You can spend A MILLION BUCKS to buy pets, mounts and gamecards from WoW shop or do the same in any MMO with a shop. So? Noone forces you there. Noonce forces you in SC. You get full access to SC PU with all its features and content for 40$

----

So what exactly is wrong with reliance on whaling to support game development?
Whole MMORPG industry relies on whaling. Because 99% MMOs are F2P and only like 5% of players do purchases that generate profits. Those players that we call whales. So why noone cares about other MMOs but everyone looses their mind about Star Citizen? Tell me, Bree.

Seriously. This bullshit.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 12, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Look on his Facebook page...

You can't *make* me.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

...he still streams SC about twice a week, sandwiched between CoD streams. He just did one yesterday.

Facebook gets some exclusive Rexshilla. This is good for Mr Lisle and Star Citizen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"How is spending money on a game that demonstrably exists any different from spending money on SC?"

Lmao

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The merchant outpost ship reminds me of how FFXIV had player-owned NPCs that would stand around in town to sell your goods. "Had" in the sense that it was in the 1.0 version that was so bad it almost sank the franchise. Fortunately SquareEnix hadn't taken actual money from customers, so they were free to discard it in the franchise-saving 2.0 version.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

I remember once reading an article about all the work required to design how doors work in a multiplayer game. All the design considerations and edge cases and unforeseen bs they had to deal with. For doors. (this was well before showed us just how deadly they are)

But these guys? "we'll just drop a mall, add some dropdown menus and it'll all work"

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

AngusPodgorny posted:

The merchant outpost ship reminds me of how FFXIV had player-owned NPCs that would stand around in town to sell your goods. "Had" in the sense that it was in the 1.0 version that was so bad it almost sank the franchise. Fortunately SquareEnix hadn't taken actual money from customers, so they were free to discard it in the franchise-saving 2.0 version.

Hah, Elder Scrolls Online isn't much better in this regard. You gotta be in a guild to buy or sell stuff, and you can only list stuff on a guild trader, and to find a particular item you want to buy, you have to go through every single loving guild trader in the world and hope it's on a public guild trader since the private ones are your guild only. So incredibly rear end backwards and the reason I quit playing it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dooguk posted:

How long until Joe Blubbers turns up?

Oh good grief, give me a few minutes until the coffee heats up.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

edit:

You're not fan of the synergies that a pair of mediocre brands can provide?

https://youtu.be/GBZBuSFczak?t=573

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Scruffpuff posted:

In terms of the "when will people snap out of it?" nature of your question - they do every day. You just tend not to see many posts on reddit because why would you. They'll hate you, you'll feel dumb, and it's easier to vanish and pretend you never were into it. In the case of true believers this day will never come. When the final bell tolls they'll say they were happy to just be a part of something so ambitious. This totally-not-a-scam project to deliver dreams.txt was just killed before its time by the evils of the world. Instead of posting about how great SC will be in every youtube comment section they'll post how great it would have been if not for the bad men.