Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Neito posted:

Sorry, but "Just mean" people don't immediately reach for the motherfucking N word as an insult. Also, she, but it's pretty clear even without that that you didn't read a word of the story.
Get a load of this guy calling out people for not reading stories. The person he was "calling out" for racism wasn't the woman using the n-word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Neito posted:

Sorry, but "Just mean" people don't immediately reach for the motherfucking N word as an insult. Also, she, but it's pretty clear even without that that you didn't read a word of the story.

Take a breath, go back and read the story again, and realized that nobody is talking about whether the girl is a racist.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Neito posted:

Dude

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That post belongs in the self own HOF.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Neito posted:

:gary:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

Get a load of this guy calling out people for not reading stories. The person he was "calling out" for racism wasn't the woman using the n-word.

Also, was it the actual n-word? Because the OP said it was the long form of basically the n-word.

Like, if it was the n-word why not just say that?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Also, was it the actual n-word? Because the OP said it was the long form of basically the n-word.

Sorry, I don't know what that even means. I thought he meant -gger instead of -gga.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

spacetoaster posted:

The long-form n-word is signed by a doctor and has a stamp and stuff. Otherwise it's just a "Certificate of Live n-word" and that is NOT the same thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neito posted:

Just WOW lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neito posted:

Lol

This is why I love this thread.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for being mad someone threw a diaper next to me?

gently caress this guy forever and ever.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Neito posted:

Lmao I love it

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

WIBTA for cutting someone off for pulling off my wig in public?

quote:

Backstory: So I'm black, and I have really thick 4c hair that's just too stressful for me to maintain sometimes, so I just braid my hair in cornrows and wear wigs sometimes. It's simple, fast and convenient. Not many people can tell it's a wig so they always ask questions about how I get my hair like that. I usually just explain that it's not my real hair.

Now to the meat of the story. Today, I was hanging out with one of my white friends in the library (finals week), studying together. We're making jokes on a break and just chilling. He starts to play with my hair but he's a very touchy feely person so I don't think much of it. All of a sudden, he pulls the hair and it falls off my head. In a room full of people. I was in shock. For like 5 seconds I didn't move. I put the wig back on in shame and guess what he does? Laugh. He doesn't even apologize at first he just laughs. I packed up my stuff and left. He's been texting and calling me all afternoon apologizing and saying that I have no reason to be this upset with him, that, "most girls have fake hair, no one cares". Well I care, and I think its stupid that the first thing he did was laugh.

I'm not sure if cutting him off and never speaking to him again is overreacting/will make me an rear end in a top hat, but I am boiling over with rage.

Also, if I do cut him off, this would be the second person I'm getting rid of in 3 weeks. Seems a bit excessive and I wonder if I'm the problem.

AITA?

Snatch his wig, by which i mean snatch his throat

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DemoneeHo posted:

Snatch peel his wig

ftfy

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I may be insensitive, but a wig falling off is inherently funny and although I would be mortified and apologetic, laughter would be present.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA if i overdress for a gender reveal?

So my(21f) boyfriend’s(21m) younger brother(19m) and his wife(20f) are having their first child next year. Regardless of all of the bullshit that has occurred since my birthday (they tried using my 21st birthday as a baby announcement while also attempting to invite his entire friend group (20+people). But his brother and his wife instead of having a small intimate reveal and having a huge party at a venue for the baby shower, they want gigantic parties for both. Bf’s mom was gonna pay for everything but shes having surgery so everyone is paying for their plate by a certain date and they were upset since now they can’t invite on the spot and not everyone will be able to purchase gifts for the baby. Bf and i found out that they just want to film the whole thing to post on their youtube channel since they want to be family vloggers.

Just a little insight they don’t live in their own house or pay rent they live on the second floor of his dad’s home. Baby registry is full of luxury baby goods the entire family keeps telling them “you aren’t rich and no one here is either chill out” after everyone saw the 1k stroller.

I might just be petty but I’m an editor for a decently sized channel while I’m slowly learning to create my own platform. They always tend to only ask me for video ideas and will literally watch me if im writing one down in my notebook. My bf even told me to never tell them anything since they’ll never give credit and act as if they created it from the beginning. They’ve also tried to trap us into editing for their channel bc they didn’t want to learn (shut that poo poo down real quick) he then got his wife to do it for them.

So heres where i might be TA I tend to tone down my wardrobe since my family is really extra when it comes to any single event. But with all of this bs going on lately i was thinking about overdressing like i would do for a family party. Just so i can not feel like im being one upped and feeling a bit more confident, since they always act as if they’re better than all of us since they got married right out of hs and got pregnant within the next year.

TLDR Would i be TA if i overdress at my BF’s narcissistic younger brother’s gender reveal?

You look around the post for the rear end in a top hat, but you can't find them. Everyone looks like an rear end in a top hat. EveryTHING looks like an rear end in a top hat. It's like a labyrinth of assholes, stretching to the horizon. You desperately look for the exit, but there is none. The post has no exit, and around every corner is a fresh rear end in a top hat, dripping and slobbering on you. You are trapped and will never escape

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Beachcomber posted:

I may be insensitive, but a wig falling off is inherently funny and although I would be mortified and apologetic, laughter would be present.

Wigs don't just 'oopsie' off a person's head while they're chillin' in a library. Dude pulled a 7 year old's *wonder what would happen if I...* with results a normal person would expect. He's an idiot.

Kicking someone out of your life for it is a bit drastic, but tell him you're not cool until he shaves his head.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I agreed with the black dude cutting off the white coworker because a lot of racism is low key and white people hate being called racist. He probably just finally snapped and picked that Snapchat situation to burn the bridge over

The wig snatch deserves an absolute beat down and idk how anyone can say it’s not that bad. that poo poo barely flies when black people do it to each other let alone a yakubian

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I have watched enough Black Film and TV to know that even accidentally pulling off a woman's wig is Very Bad and if it really was an accident you need to apologise big-time and pronto

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

My[22M] roommate [23M] wants to "decorate" the living room with swords and anime posters. I am not okay with this.

Quit being such a loving doormat and gritting your teeth and going along with every single terrible decision he makes.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
On the hook for 50k+? How screwed am I? Garage burned down.

quote:

I am from Canada.

First off Id like to preface that I absolutely will be consulting with a lawyer about my current situation. In regarding the the lawyer, I want to know which kind of lawyer would be suite my situation?

Around 2 months ago I accidentally set the garage of the current house I am renting on fire. I was siphoning gas from an old work van that I was about to take to a local part yard to sell. I tried siphoning the gas but ended up only being able to do so by drilling a hole into the side of the actual gas tank. After drilling a very small hole into the side I decided to drill a second to speed up the process. While I was in the process up drilling the second hole, a spark from either the drill bit or from inside of the drill ignited the whole gas tank on fire immediately, I'm not sure how the gas tank caught on fire as it happened within a second or so the whole gas tank was on fire. I immediately backed away as fast as I could and knew that there was no way I could safely stop the fire from spreading, I didn't know if it would explode or not. The gas tank was full 26 gallon/100 liter tank. My work van was currently insured and I ended up getting $1300 in insurance money after the deductible.

Here's where my predicament comes in. I did not have renter's insurance at the time, this was my first place renting, rookie mistake. I do have general business insurance and initially talked to them about if I would have any coverage for this situation but they quickly shot that down, saying my coverage didn't apply to a specific address, saying it covered mostly just tools/materials for my business. I left if at that because my landlord said his homeowners insurance will be covering the costs for the claim. Its been over 2 months and I just received a letter in the mail from my landlords insurance saying they now being going after me for the costs of the insurance claim. The current estimated costs for the claim is over 50k to rebuild the garage, replace 4 windows/door that were damaged due to the heat of the fire, that seems a little much to me since the house overall is valued at around 280k.

Im afraid that 50k might continue to grow as around 5 different surrounding properties were damaged due to the heat from the fire, the heat melted sidings from the surrounding properties. Since my homeowners insurance just mailed me today I am worried that the insurance from the surrounding properties will just jump in and pile on the the main insurance claim to try and get me on the hook for their claims aswell.

What I did was the dumbest decision I've made in my life, it was a mistake and I have to live with the consequences.

There probably is a lot of information I am missing but will try to update any relevant information. I just want to basically know if there is any light at the end of the tunnel for me or am I completely screwed. Merry Christmas.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for pretending to be a woman to legitimize our Crypto club to the University Administration?

quote:

Last semester my friends and I started a crypto investing club, in total we have 16 regular members and 35 all guys. We were able to get a room to use on afternoons however when we tried to get funding for university group they said that we need to have at least two women in our club. That the university doesn’t allow all male clubs.

Now mind you we didn’t make this into a male crypto club just no women joined. So me and some friends just said we were women on our application. We temporarily identified as women, and we got funding and a professor to join us.

I told some friends about it and while most are supportive some are mad at me for not looking for actual women to join our club. AITA?

What could be a better founding mythos for crypto club than knowingly deceiving with the intent to receive a financial benefit

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

lol

I had to look that one up.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

spacetoaster posted:

lol

Lol that dude might be a Black Hebrew Isrealite talking about Yakub.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

spacetoaster posted:

lol

Always reminds me of Tooth Tooth.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

We temporarily identified as women, and we got funding

The future has ended up being more ridiculous than we ever imagined.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Pinecone Sample posted:

If you can't get siphon action going on a full gas tank, I def wouldn't trust you with power tools or fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He wasn't cheating on me, he's been cheating on his gf for a year with ME

quote:

So basically, I (F20) have been seeing this guy (24) for a little over a year now. We made things official (gf/bf) back in june. Things were perfect between us, we build an amazing emotional bond and to the point where we would talk about living together because we couldn't get enough of each other. he was a living angel in my eyes because he treated me so well that i couldn't believe he was mine.

To not dwell on details (although it's easier telling it them living it) i basically found out he never actually broke up with his ex (he told me they broke up when she moved away in september 2018) and he flew to another country to spend his holidays with her last month ( he obv said he's traveling alone). He even went as far as acting like nothing happened when he came home just a few days ago but at that point both her and I knew everything and confronted him about it.

If I'm posting this it's only to say that there were NO SIGNS for me. Like your partner doesn't even have to be acting different to be cheating. He was literally all over me and saying he will miss me like crazy on the way to the airport where he's meeting someone else on the other side in 3 hours, so needless to say, the desappointement was real. I broke up with him and I'm really scared this will affect me on the long run. He's the only person I've ever trusted with so many things. I'm also scared he will come after me for exposing him with his other girlfriend. Are my fears valid kr am i just being paranoid?

TL;DR the first person i ever loved has done nothing but lie to my face for over a year now and i feel right for it

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Why would you need to drill a hole in your gas tank to siphon gas? If it had all gone to plan what was his plan for his work van that now has a gas tank with holes in it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pinecone Sample posted:

What a dipshit. He owns some kind of business that involves him owning a bunch of tools, so he should know better than to work metal next to 26 gallons of gasoline.

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for pretending to be a woman to legitimize our Crypto club to the University Administration?

What could be a better founding mythos for crypto club than knowingly deceiving with the intent to receive a financial benefit

How hard would it have been to find two girls to just pretend to be members of the... oh, right, crypto club, probably very.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pinecone Sample posted:

Renter's insurance wouldn't have covered this, and I'm honestly not sure any insurance would have covered "do stupid and knowingly dangerous thing at a residential address on a work vehicle with no safety precautions."
Also 50K(CAD) for a garage is a bit much, but when you add some windows and doors and I'm going to guess a lot of siding, plus inspection costs and other remediation it doesn't seem that unreasonable, especially if it was an attached garage. Also if the fire was big enough to damage 5(!) surrounding properties then it probably did more damage than that.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why would you need to drill a hole in your gas tank to siphon gas? If it had all gone to plan what was his plan for his work van that now has a gas tank with holes in it?
The van was going to the scrap yard. He's on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars because to save $50 at best.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MIL taking over proposal

quote:

So I (22M) decided that I wanted to propose to my GF (24F) of 6 years. I of course excitedly let her parents know, which I should have known better given history with her mother. I dont hate her, but I know better than to expect her to keep a secret or to not try to take it over. Well so far she has really been dropping strong hints to GF, and I'm pretty sure she knows I'm proposing now.

She keeps casually bringing up marriage in conversation, saying stuff like "if you want BF to propose you need to start doing this". She told GF something like "BF is working very hard for you to be able to afford your christmas present". GF said shes pretty sure her mom spoiled what shes getting because of MIL saying that. Me and GF have already discussed marriage before, so shes really spoiling things.

Ive found the perfect ring, and cant imagine proposing with anything else. MIL has started insisting I use GFs grandmothers old ring. It's possible MY ring will be here after christmas, which is fine. I figure I can just propose new years. Well MIL is insisting I NEED to propose christmas eve, because that's when her husband proposed to her. Shes using this as a reason to make me propose with GFs grandmothers old ring, even if I decide to keep my current engagement ring.

I'm a super introverted person. MIL wants me to ask GFs dad for his blessing or whatever while they record it, which I feel super uncomfortable with. (why do I need his permission anyway? Even if he said no I'd still do it. Doesnt feel very genuine if I ask) MIL also wants me to propose at their house specifically on christmas eve, with her grandmothers ring, WHILE they record the whole thing (again super awkward and introverted). I wanted it to be our moment, with just us. I feel like this moment that is supposed to be ours is being completely invaded. The proposal has already been spoiled, and I just feel like the whole thing has been stolen from us. What should I do? Sorry if the formats bad, posting on mobile

TL;DR MIL is spoiling my proposal, trying to make it the way she likes it. Shes totally pushing her boundaries and wont let me just propose how I want, when i want. Proposal may have already been ruined by her spoilers. What should I do?

:yikes:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA for cutting someone off for pulling off my wig in public?

Snatch his wig, by which i mean snatch his throat

Oh my God I had something similar happen to me about ten years ago. I'm a white chick, and until recently I kept my hair fairly long, usually down to my hips. It was mostly just me being too lazy to go get a hair cut regularly, but I did take care of it. So one day I'm out with my friend at his house when his mom comes home and I meet her for the first time. She was nice and wandered off to do whatever, and then five minutes later she comes up behind me and YANKS my hair so hard I almost fell over. Turns out she thought my hair was actually extensions and she just really wanted to rip them out as a joke. Her son thought it was hilarious but I just got up and left because goddamn.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Renter's insurance wouldn't have covered this, and I'm honestly not sure any insurance would have covered "do stupid and knowingly dangerous thing at a residential address on a work vehicle with no safety precautions."

Also 50K(CAD) for a garage is a bit much, but when you add some windows and doors and I'm going to guess a lot of siding, plus inspection costs and other remediation it doesn't seem that unreasonable, especially if it was an attached garage. Also if the fire was big enough to damage 5(!) surrounding properties then it probably did more damage than that.
I can definitely believe the 50k. The garage is clearly a total loss and there’s probably major damage to the house itself given that the fire was large/hot enough to melt the siding off other surrounding properties.

It could conceivably fall under an umbrella coverage policy / general liability insurance, but that’s the only one I could potentially think of...but if you’re cheap enough to siphon $50 of gas and skip renter’s insurance, there’s no way you’re paying for that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MagusofStars posted:

I can definitely believe the 50k. The garage is clearly a total loss and there’s probably major damage to the house itself given that the fire was large/hot enough to melt the siding off other surrounding properties.

It could conceivably fall under an umbrella coverage policy / general liability insurance, but that’s the only one I could potentially think of...but if you’re cheap enough to siphon $50 of gas and skip renter’s insurance, there’s no way you’re paying for that.

It is covered. The landlord's insurance policy is covering the damage, and the insurance company is coming after OP to recoup the costs.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

It is covered. The landlord's insurance policy is covering the damage, and the insurance company is coming after OP to recoup the costs.

the fancy word for this is subrogation. though i doubt it's worth the insurance company's time to go after a broke guy for a 50k judgment

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Frog Act posted:

BF Accidentally Sends Me Pic of Young Girl

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Run!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Run!

Run... to the store, to buy a big hammer, a meat cleaver, some garbage bags, and a shovel. String the purchases out across several days and don’t buy the items together. Pay with cash.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Chomp8645 posted:

It's covered because it was done by a third party, the question is whether it would have been covered if done by the policy holder. I'm sure there's some expensive policies that will cover ridiculous negligence like that exhibited by the OP, but I think most normal policies wouldn't cover it.

goethe.cx posted:

the fancy word for this is subrogation. though i doubt it's worth the insurance company's time to go after a broke guy for a 50k judgment
OP doesn't say they're broke, only cheap, and also admits fault so probably a worthwhile bet to wring out something beyond costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

If BF had that where she could see it, I wouldn't be surprised if he had legit children-were-exploited-and-abused-to-make-this CP hidden on his computer. She should send in an anonymous tip when she leaves.

Note - not saying it's in any way acceptable or moral to have pictures of kids in swimsuits and gymnastics outfits to get off to, just that I'm p sure it's not illegal, but he's clearly got no moral compunctions about that and I think law enforcement should take a look at his hard drive.