Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

ugh, can they submit bogus amendments until the end of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Ugh I am so goddamn sick of them just going back to "well but they got the aid so how could it have been withheld" and "it was more than Obama gave, he let people die!"

It's so openly disingenuous and maddening.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
We've been listening to these hearings at work and the constant stream of lies and distractions from the republicans is damned exhausting.
I'm very much reminded of the Clinton impeachment. Back then I was 21 and had been raised to believe that both parties had something of value to offer our country, that the balance of ideas was important. After watching the impeachment proceedings then, I realized that we have one party interested in governing and one party that's interested only in maintaning it's own power at any cost. I learned then that anybody calling themselves a republican is worthy only of contempt, and I hope there's a new generation watching this poo poo show today and coming to the same conclusion. These people have no business running the country. None.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Louie Gohmert wants congress to pass a law to give them subpoena powers that they already have?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

C411 posted:

Louie Gohmert wants congress to pass a law to give them subpoena powers that they already have?

As has been pointed out, Louie Gohmert is very stupid.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
lmao what bullshit is Gaetz pulling with the reuters photog?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Collins really wants to concern troll about Democrats ostensibly being mean to Zelensky.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
im feeling very besmirked right now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubG posted:

Collins really wants to concern troll about Democrats ostensibly being mean to Zelensky.

Did Collins just rage quit the impeachment hearing? Is that what just happened?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I wasn't interested in politics when Clinton got impeached but was it similar to this? Did Dems just Stonewall and bloviate non stop?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
No, Ken Starr went on a pretty insane "investigatory" spree with a shitload of power granted to him by Congress. You might remember that the big gotcha moment was from Clinton actually *testifying* and fibbing about his relationship with Lewinsky. No loving way is anyone sane going to let Trump ever get within passing distance of giving testimony.

edit: Clinton impeachment was more along the lines of Benghazi or Her Emails (keep digging and digging until you find the tiniest shred of anything) than the current impeachment

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

idiotsavant posted:

No, Ken Starr went on a pretty insane "investigatory" spree with a shitload of power granted to him by Congress. You might remember that the big gotcha moment was from Clinton actually *testifying* and fibbing about his relationship with Lewinsky. No loving way is anyone sane going to let Trump ever get within passing distance of giving testimony.

edit: Clinton impeachment was more along the lines of Benghazi or Her Emails (keep digging and digging until you find the tiniest shred of anything) than the current impeachment

Gotcha. The only things I remember are the Starr Report and "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah. The Clinton impeachment effort looked more or less exactly like what the Republicans are currently claiming about the Trump impeachment.

Which of course is exactly the opposite of true. Like about a couple dozen times a hearing some Republican zips through a list of all the poo poo Trump has been doing as if this is a huge zinger or something, like the fact that there hasn't been an impeachment over every one demonstrates that the whole thing is just a fishing expedition like the Starr investigation was. It's like the Republicans are arguing for bitul beshishim, only for crimes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

idiotsavant posted:

He then published his entire multi hundred page report to the general public, it was a big media launch event and printed copies showed up in bookstores. Everyone wanted to read the explicit parts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

He then published his entire multi hundred page report to the general public, it was a big media launch event and printed copies showed up in bookstores. Everyone wanted to read the explicit parts.

pretty much. clinton is gross old lech lich who is also a sex monster but the GOP didnt give a poo poo about any of that(since most of them have done worse) and basicaly searched for any bullshit.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

That I do remember

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the tory victory in Britain today any indicator of our chances here in 2020?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Depends on how much Russia helped.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Grouchio posted:

The Tories just copied Trumps campaign-style so - yeah.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Sensenbrenner couldn't be more phlegmatic without turning into a gigantic loogie. It's possible that has already happened.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SubG posted:

Depends on how much Russia helped.

They'll help the US more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

probably not. i dont follow it that closely but its a whole different ball game over in the UK.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

The Tories just copied Trumps campaign-style so - yeah.

As has been shown by 2018 and beyond, acting like Trump is more likely to be electoral poison than anything else in the States now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

As has been shown by 2018 and beyond, acting like Trump is more likely to be electoral poison than anything else in the States now.

yeah. all the polls show trump and co getting smashed/losing in 2020. i will worry when they look the UK polls.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grouchio posted:

No. It's apples and oranges, and Brexit threw a huge monkey wrench in everything because a bunch of Labour is pro-Brexit too, even though Brexit was instigated by the Tories and is pushed by Johnson now.

Angry_Ed posted:

Also this, the GOP has eaten poo poo in basically every remotely contested election since 2016.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

No. It's apples and oranges, and Brexit threw a huge monkey wrench in everything because a bunch of Labour is pro-Brexit too, even though Brexit was instigated by the Tories and is pushed by Johnson now.

Also this, the GOP has eaten poo poo in basically every remotely contested election since 2016.

Yeah. Brexit is one of those dumb-rear end destructive issues that has adherents on both sides of the aisle for different reasons. The US has those too but they're mostly low-key things like term limits or specific flavors of economic protectionism rather than anything really existential.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

This is absolutely not the thread to talk about Brexit or the Democratic Party's chances in 2020.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I were a brit I would kill myself now before the food and medicine shortages get me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

First, the perjury article was related to testimony Clinton gave while being deposed and testifying for a sexual harassment case, not as a result of Starr’s investigation.

Second, lol ‘fibbed’

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I wonder what news anchors do on days like this.

Just sit around and do blow?

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I’m sure it has been asked, but... how long has this been going on today and is there an end in sight?

edit: nvm. Holy poo poo, the Republicans sound defeated during their voting roll call.

Sir Thats Gross fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 13, 2019

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Jordan just introduced a new amendment so who knows?!

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I’m sure it has been asked, but... how long has this been going on today and is there an end in sight?

edit: nvm. Holy poo poo, the Republicans sound defeated during their voting roll call.

It will continue until the GOP gets bored basically.

Dems were ready to pass it when they walked in this morning but everyone there knew it was gonna be a GOP grandstanding day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sir Thats Gross posted:

yeah. i think they know this wont end well either way for them and they are resigned to the loving they earned.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cspan- Jordan is rambling on about whatever, camera cuts to show bored democrats rocking back and forth in their chairs.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Unfortunately, the GOP is gonna get even more animated for the next hour or two to get some prime time sound bites in.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
What does this accomplish? No one is even watching

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
why are the repubs dragging it if both groups arent going to change their mind?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

What does this accomplish? No one is even watching

literally nothing about this matters except that it's (1) showing your loyalty to Daddy in return for (2) the chance for appearances on fox news and better returns in future careers in the conservative grift circuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Because they are petty assholes I assume