Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

i can't speak to "these people" in general but i can confirm that popehat specifically is very stupid

Applying lessons from different countries often feels like hammering a square peg in a circular hole.

I mean Corbyn was unpopular, but he was also unpopular in 2017. This was much more about policies than popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Raffles posted:

like this

I'll be happy when you gently caress off, yes.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Raffles posted:

this thread has always been a bubble, it is what it is.

it is funny when there's a big election and posters with different points of view post in here for a few hours and everyone gets really upset

Get the gently caress out of my bubble

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Fight breaking out as John McDonnell is declared. Arm big John.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

I'll be happy when you gently caress off, yes.

dude gently caress off, you don't own this thread or being upset that tonight is proper poo poo. this thread loving sucks

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

El Pollo Blanco posted:

It's always real funny when "I'm totally not a Tory, guys" poster turns up to tell everyone they're hysterical and toxic in election threads

For what it's worth, I'm a media wanker from London who voted remain (just, I don't really like the EU) and voted Labour in 4 or 5 elections.

also, lol at getting bitter at being called hysterical and toxic on the day your team got loving wiped out for being toxic

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Popehat is a "free speech at all cost" Libertertarian. Some people only see him dunk on Trump but 70% of his twitter activity is retweeting neolib takes on how nazis deserved to be heard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Katt posted:

Where do MPs go that lose their seats anyway? Do they get jobs with the party or just gently caress off?

From the public gravy train to private lobby company gravy train.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Raffles posted:

dude gently caress off, you don't own this thread or being upset that tonight is proper poo poo. this thread loving sucks

I am, however, perfectly entitled to tell you to gently caress off.

Which you should do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Politics threads on SA tend to be bubbles, but the solution to that isn't to figure out how to invite more assholes into the thread, it's to figure out how to make the outside world more receptive to notions like "racism is bad" and "Brexit is a stupid plan for morons."

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The spin around this is dizzying.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1205325321412784129

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Illuminti posted:

For what it's worth, I'm a media wanker from London who voted remain (just, I don't really like the EU) and voted Labour in 4 or 5 elections.

also, lol at getting bitter at being called hysterical and toxic on the day your team got loving wiped out for being toxic

Keep going I'm almost there

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Stroud is gone, I'm sorry you guys.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Illuminti posted:

By all means then, please drown us in your poo poo takes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's correct that Corbyn is more to the left than Sanders, but the rest of those tweets are poo poo

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

I am, however, perfectly entitled to tell you to gently caress off.

Which you should do.

we're all hurting

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Illuminti posted:

this thread isnt actually labour hq and we lost because we didnt convince leave voters we could be trusted

has anyone blamed alistair campbell yet cause if not I bags

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Exit poll is now down to a 64 seat majority btw.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Illuminti posted:

I think he was referring to section on Travelers in the tory manifesto

edit: also that is a classic "lumping everyone in together"

The millions of people who voted tory in this election are not all former BNP members. No matter how many times you accuse them of it

For your edit, I suppose it is at that. It's a major plank of Tory and BXP platform though. I mean it is. Objectively. There's actual academic research done on it.

It's also a popular one, based on polling.

Probably shouldn't have used "they" in the last sentence, but rather "many of CON/BXP voters are really receptive to the messages promoting ethnic cleansing, as shown by the data that is available".

Better?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Apraxin posted:

SNP seem to be doing really well, and the swings in London look to be not as bad. A few lucky breaks for labour where Brexit actually saved their butt too (up North).

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Apraxin posted:

yay.

woo.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

How does anyone have the audacity to claim to know Labour lost, 'for being toxic'? What does that even mean?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Part of the problem i think is that the UK is linguistically and culturally co-extensive with the US and therefore vulnerable to the same tendencies, like few right wing Dutch people will have read Alex Jones for example. You also have a similar two party(-lite) system that doesnt offer much protection. And now you'll become Little America.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

JosefStalinator posted:

A few lucky breaks for labour where Brexit actually saved their butt too (up North).
Did you see Barnsley East? loving hell:
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1205306990043500545

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Part of the problem i think is that the UK is linguistically and culturally co-extensive with the US and therefore vulnerable to the same tendencies, like few right wing Dutch people will have read Alex Jones for example. You also have a similar two party(-lite) system that doesnt offer much protection. And now you'll become Little America.

The UK is far whiter than the US is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Private Speech posted:

For your edit, I suppose it is at that. It's a major plank of Tory and BXP platform though. I mean it is. Objectively. There's actual academic research done on it.

It's also a popular one, based on polling.

Probably shouldn't have used "they" in the last sentence, but rather "many of CON/BXP voters are really receptive to the messages promoting ethnic cleansing, as shown by the data that is available".

Better?

Look, maybe some of those guys are just really keen on Tory economic policies and just uninterested in ethnic cleansing, which is a definite moral high ground.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Vindicator posted:

How does anyone have the audacity to claim to know Labour lost, 'for being toxic'? What does that even mean?

It means "abloobloobloo, stop calling me a racist for saying racist poo poo".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

corbyn is crying and resigning on tv and theres a monster raving loony guy in a big hat dancing behind him

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Brexig got labour.

Policies were popular, Corby was disliked but he was similarly disliked in 2017.It was brexit splitting the labour leave vote.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

The millions of people who voted for the Nazis in 1933 totally weren't Nazis and definitely weren't enabling German fascism, just like everyone who voted for the Tories absolutely isn't enabling British fascism, nope, not at all

gently caress the Tories and every single fucker who voted for their fascist bullshit

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Illuminti posted:

Forums poster shocked that people have different priorities from them.

I'm not shocked tonight happened, I've known what Britain was and what it deserved for awhile. That anything over 5% of your country looked at the idea of "Brexit" and thought it had any merit wrote you people off years ago.

e: It's a tragedy that innocent people are going to be hurt by this, but there is no good solution when so much of your country is filled with ignorant shitheels that vote.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 13, 2019

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Corbyn confirms he'll stand down "after a period of reflection" in his speech.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Vindicator posted:

Probably shaped by media, but it's undeniable that Corbyn was polling significantly below Johnson in favourability ratings. And I do mean significantly, like 30%+.

I don't think it's been a major factor since it was the same way with May though. Remember, most popular PM ever?

loving right-wing media (and oh please tell me that the sun frontpages were loving neutral don't you dare)

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Look, maybe some of those guys are just really keen on Tory economic policies and just uninterested in ethnic cleansing, which is a definite moral high ground.

Look they just have a different opinion to you about children starving to death, sounds like you have some growing up to do

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Venomous posted:

The millions of people who voted for the Nazis in 1933 totally weren't Nazis and definitely weren't enabling German fascism, just like everyone who voted for the Tories absolutely isn't enabling British fascism, nope, not at all

gently caress the Tories and every single fucker who voted for their fascist bullshit

Please tell us how we're going to win the voters who swung from Labour to Tory back, if you think they're all racists.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
Is there even an example of a platform that successfully fosters healthy discussion between people with massive political differences? Because Facebook or Twitter aren't it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Arm Rebecca Long-Bailey!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
We tried, thread

We tried

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

By all means then, please drown us in your poo poo takes

Oh because you guys have been bang on the money with your takes for 3 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Venomous posted:

Maybe a lot of people didn't like the rampant anti-semitism in the Labour party, the same as we didn't like Nazis.