Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

gently caress.

Important stuff go missing?

dunno. not at home. just got told that someone found two guys in masks grabbing peoples stuff and my area was one of the places rifled through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

nothing says christmas season like people breaking into your buildings garage and stealing your stuff

poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That sucks, I hope they were caught before they could get much out of the garage. There's been a rash of break ins all over town of late. Not even a week ago two guys tried to kick down someone's front door just 3 blocks away. The owner was armed and shot one of them but they escape. And then on my street somebody noted that a paint can had been slid into the path of their garage door, the assumption being that they'd hit the button and go inside without noticing the door going back up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao okay please someone read this and report back

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I just wanted to make a quick statement about the recent FYAD stuff, as many mods have already done.

You're all probably aware of the major shitstorm that unfolded over the past few days, and of some of the extremely vile reactionary sentiments that were flung around, targetting LGBTQ+ goons in particular. For a variety of reasons stuff was not communicated super quickly and in many cases not communicated as clearly as it could have been and so I feel like there's a general necessity to clear the air a bit about what to expect in the future.

1) When I say "vile sentiments" I mean vile. As a trans poster myself I'd never felt less welcome or safe on SA, a place I've been posting in since highschool. While most of this was coming out from aggrieved FYAD idiots, I want to make it 100% absolutely clear that any rhetoric of that sort is not at all welcome in BSS. For the foreseeable future any racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, or transphobic posting is not going to be tolerated at all. This includes dogwhistles, weasel words, and lovely little insinuations. If you're being a loving creep you're going to get punished and it isn't going to be a slap on the wrist. No argument. 99% of you are lovely, beautiful, brilliant people, but a few posters here have gotten pretty adept at skirting the letter of the law in this regard and I just want to say if you want to continue doing so it isn't going to be put up with. So almost all of you-- you're splendid, keep up the good work. But if anybody is thinking of posting regressive nonsense, please please don't for everyone's sake. We don't care if you're joking. We don't care if you're doing a bit or are "in-character." Don't loving do it.

2) As a corollary, we want to reinforce that BSS is at its best when it is at its most inclusive. The culture that comics have emerged from isn't perfect-- we come up against ugly or bad ideas every week. Wading through old stuff is bound to turn up unwanted remnants of dead or dying ideologies. We can talk about that. But nobody posting in here should feel unwelcome or unheard because of their race, sexuality, gender identity, or anything else. If you come across a post that makes you feel unwelcome, unsafe, or just strikes you as creepy, please don't hesitate to report it to X-O and myself. Especially if you're a regular in a thread in which, for whatever reason, no mod is a regular. I'm trying to keep at least casual tabs on every active thread but I don't know the culture of every single one. I don't know what a Dominic Deegan is and the only thing I know about Transformers is that my brother ate most of one in 1992 and is still haunted by the experience. X-O and I will try our best to find people crossing the line but frankly reporting a bad post is the best and most efficient way to make sure one of us gets our eyes on it in a timely manner.

3) We also want to reassure everyone here that we have your backs if you run into trouble elsewhere on the forums. The QCS fiasco this week was ugly and spilled into a lot of corners of the forums, and it's possible that traces of toxicity are going to linger for a bit. If you ever encounter something lovely in another subforum and don't feel comfortable bringing it to the attention of that forum's mods, feel free to forward it to X-O and I and we'll send it along to the other mods/admins ASAP. We're also of course available if you want to contact us about any other concerns, including suggestions for how to make this subforum safer and more useful. We're only human and bound to overlook stuff so please don't hesitate to bring any concerns you have to either of us.

4) As a final caution, as a result of this week's events there is active doxxing going on via outside sources, mostly of LGBTQ+ posters and trans goons in particular. I know a ton of the regulars here are fellow fabgoons so I want to urge you all to be careful with identifying information for the indefinite future. If you have information floating around the forums that for whatever reason you can't scrub yourself-- a selfie quoted by someone else, for instance-- contact a mod and we'll either be able to disappear or get in touch with someone else who can.

This is the chillest, most intelligent, and warmest comic book community I've ever spent time with online and it has meant a lot to me for over the decade. I want it to continue to be that kind of resource for anyone else, and X-O and I are both committed to this subforum as well as the people who post in it. Once again, you're all fantastic, and we have your backs.

We are, after all, all here for the same thing:

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 12, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
conversely, please post regressive nonsense immediately so you can be banned and we can move on swiftly

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I sometimes forget that SA is more than just one or two forums. Well, not forget as in being totally unaware, but more in that I just don't acknowledge it. I started SA mostly in the GBS thread, lurking and whatnot. Then I moved on to BSS because I like comic books and that makes sense, right? I sometimes perused CD because I like movies too, though one too many Mechagodzilla posts and I lost interest there. There are some sports threads but only certain times of the year will I go there, DnD is kind of new to me and mostly because of what a shitshow everything has been from 2016. There are a few PYF threads I enjoy lurking through. Outside of that though I hardly ever go to GBS though, and I am really quite ignorant in any SA drama outside of the BSS stuff. Thanks for the quick explanation of what is going on out there.
I just want to say that BSS has been my fave place to go for comic stuff, and for the most part the posters here are awesome, even the ones I don't always agree with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As someone who posts and reads both in BSS and CineD, SMG is a goddamn treasure of a poster. There's two loving legit DTV Universal Soldier sequels I wouldn't even know about if it weren't for SMG.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think everyone will agree with me that we need more details about that story about your brother eating a Transformer

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

I think everyone will agree with me that we need more details about that story about your brother eating a Transformer

It was the 80's. We were all doing a lot of coke, voting for Ronald Regan and eating Transformers.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr Hootington posted:

The irony racism and bigotry turned out to not be ironic.

The hell you say.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

lmao okay please someone read this and report back

I recall the 9/11 illustrated report comic was actually a really good book since the visual interpretation of the information was done well.

I wouldn't bet on lightning striking twice.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I refuse to be ruled by a mod who hasn't read all of dominic deegan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It turns out that Thunderstrike collection I got isn't actually a collection of Thunderstrike comics. It's a collection of the Thor comics leading up to Thunderstrike, and then the first issue of Thunderstrike. Which is a really bad introduction to Thunderstrike! It's like, "hey check out this crazy magical world of science fantasy and gods and monsters! Now forget all about that, here's another loving New Yorker! He needs to find a new apartment, and hunt down some car thieves! Y'know, just like literally every other Marvel superhero!" Great, thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I can believe that Thunderstrike goes on to be a good series and Thunderstrike is a great character with his own interesting supporting cast and memorable villains. But I'm gonna have to take your word on that because I have no interest in reading more Thunderstrike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Don't get me wrong, I can believe that Thunderstrike goes on to be a good series and Thunderstrike is a great character with his own interesting supporting cast and memorable villains. But I'm gonna have to take your word on that because I have no interest in reading more Thunderstrike.
I don't know who told you these lies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

It turns out that Thunderstrike collection I got isn't actually a collection of Thunderstrike comics. It's a collection of the Thor comics leading up to Thunderstrike, and then the first issue of Thunderstrike. Which is a really bad introduction to Thunderstrike! It's like, "hey check out this crazy magical world of science fantasy and gods and monsters! Now forget all about that, here's another loving New Yorker! He needs to find a new apartment, and hunt down some car thieves! Y'know, just like literally every other Marvel superhero!" Great, thanks.

Those are great comics, you are a monster

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All we need from Thunderstrike is the cover of his first issue.

Skwirl posted:

As someone who posts and reads both in BSS and CineD, SMG is a goddamn treasure of a poster. There's two loving legit DTV Universal Soldier sequels I wouldn't even know about if it weren't for SMG.

This is just more evidence that he's a force for evil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

But that's his 5th issue...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Whatever, it belongs in a museum.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I generally don't like DeFalco but I think for what it's worth Thunderstrike is one of his better series, one of the better series on the racks at the time, and I truly unironically think that cover is a classic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I am trying to figure out if that cover is more Pearl Jam than Stone Temple Pilots, or the other way round.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lurdiak posted:

That is very badass and not at all the vibe I got from the first issue

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

D&D is running their annual charity/blood drive, which you can read about here. Please consider donating whatever you can and getting a gang tag/AV for your troubes!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

This cover is my aesthetic

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning are legitimately sick movies

Regeneration is the best Metal Gear movie we're ever gonna get and DoR is "what if Enter the Void had kickass gory fight scenes where supersoldiers tear each other to pieces"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Theoretical question for Britgoons: Do you think the UK would be better of with John Constantine as Prime Minister or Boris Johnson?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lord of Booty if you don't buy a new avatar I'm going to die.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'll do it when I get paid again, I just got tired of looking at New Day and when someone in the CineD genchat discord suggested this idea I loving lost my poo poo and had to do it

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You know, a superhero who has a body cam is, if anything, weirdly prescient.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
goatman is the hero we deserve, but not the hero we need

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

David D. Davidson posted:

Theoretical question for Britgoons: Do you think the UK would be better of with John Constantine as Prime Minister or Boris Johnson?

Kick us while we're loving down, why don't you?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Being ruled by a Captain Marvel knockoff supreme dictator doesn't seem so bad now, does it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Look on the bright side, we're going to get a decade of really great British comic books out of this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Constantine would at least open Hogwarts to more progressive policies.

Random thought of the day: was DC's 90s BLOODLINES series an attempt to grab the Image/Spawn demo?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/jake_shapiro/status/1205583535073103873

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Random thought of the day: was DC's 90s BLOODLINES series an attempt to grab the Image/Spawn demo?

It's more that they were all chasing the exact same EXTREME!!!!! demographic. It was big before Image started doing it.

Edit: I would post a chart to determine your 90's superhero name, but I think we all know everyone here would be Bloodblood.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 14, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

It's more that they were all chasing the exact same EXTREME!!!!! demographic. It was big before Image started doing it.

Edit: I would post a chart to determine your 90's superhero name, but I think we all know everyone here would be Bloodblood.

This makes me wonder if DC had any "big artists" working for them like Marvel did. I know McFarlane and Liefeld did DC work but that was before they became stars at Marvel. Did DC ever have superstar artists that were big name draws in the 90's?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

This makes me wonder if DC had any "big artists" working for them like Marvel did. I know McFarlane and Liefeld did DC work but that was before they became stars at Marvel. Did DC ever have superstar artists that were big name draws in the 90's?

McFarlane and Liefeld both worked at DC before going over to Marvel, and DC didn't have a shortage of good artists in 1992. They lacked superstar artists, however.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Joe Quesada was a DC boy first wasnt he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Joe Quesada was a DC boy first wasnt he?

He was doing stuff for both DC and Marvel in 91-93:

Sword of Azrael (1992) and The Ray (1992) being the big ones at DC I guess, and mostly just X-Factor and a few little things here and there at Marvel. Technically he did some stuff in a The Question quarterly and the Spelljammers comic in 1991 but I don't know if any of that was really reputation-building.

I think around that time he was also doing some long (?) runs on Valiant stuff like Ninjak and X-O Manowar.

He's not necessarily a superstar in my heart but Humberto Ramos was primarily a DC guy in the first legs of his career in the early-mid 90s although I don't know if that period of like 94-97 is germane to this conversation.

(meanwhile Keith Giffen definitely is a superstar in my heart and was doing career-best work in Legion of Super-Heroes)

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 14, 2019