Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
All across the UK Labour are hemorrhaging votes to the Brexit party and the Lib Dems are winning gently caress all

How on earth do you look at that and say "if only they were more pro remain"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

the UK being a multi-party parliamentary system with one elected legislature using first past the post is some wild bullshit though. its really kind of surprising it's lasted this long. It makes no sense and leads to weird, unrepresentative results.

Like, the US uses first past the post too, but it was designed on purpose to be unrepresentative of the masses and to stop change from happening. It was built hosed up on purpose.

i've been thinking about that video that came out today with martin sheen where he's like "the founding fathers built a beautiful system" and loling

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Atrocious Joe posted:

the UK being a multi-party parliamentary system with one elected legislature using first past the post is some wild bullshit though. its really kind of surprising it's lasted this long. It makes no sense and leads to weird, unrepresentative results.

Like, the US uses first past the post too, but it was designed on purpose to be unrepresentative of the masses and to stop change from happening. It was built hosed up on purpose.

The american way! :911:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

This is all boring poo poo though, Americans just fly around gunning down folks from helicopters and dropping loads of ordinance. That's badass.

The UK did that too, but the technology at the time meant they had to use gunboats

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

We purposely trained him wrong, as a joke

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Atrocious Joe posted:

FPTP is a UK thing that's used almost exclusively in its former colonies (some got rid of it though).

Like the map of voting systems is pretty much British_Empire.png

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

The UK did that too, but the technology at the time meant they had to use gunboats

Exactly, they didn't get to be cool. Wheres your stratofortress brits :colbert:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

all farage has to do is just revive UKIP once brexit is done on a "kick all out the foreigners dumb enough to stay" platform and he'll continue to handicap labor ad infinitum

scotland and northern island need to gtfo soon

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US is also a two-party system which is the natural result of first-past-the-post which explicitly encourages you to choose the lesser of two evils. A 3-6 party system makes a bad system even worse because you have to explicitly tell people not to vote for your party in this "tactical voting" thing and if they ignore you you're screwed.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Exactly, they didn't get to be cool, wheres your stratofortress brits :colbert:

way to forget about bomber harris

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Pook Good Mook posted:

SNP runs on Remain, sweeps. This board tells me Labour couldn't run on Remain because... reasons?
*Labour suffer historic losses in their traditional northern and west-midlands heartlands as a significant number of mostly working class voters who want BREXIT NOW above all else switch to the Tories or the Brexit Party*

perhaps they could have prevented this by being more explicitly in favour of Remain?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ah, so this is what victory looks like...

Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford: Lab HOLD

LAB: 37.9% (-21.6)
CON: 35.3% (+5.3)
BREX: 16.6% (+16.6)
LDEM: 6.5% (+5.1)
OTH: 3.7% (+3.7)

Swing: -21.6 Turnout: 57.1%

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Atrocious Joe posted:

British common law is built on the same principle, where you just have a tradition of precedents that build up over time until you end up with a government that looks like mismatched parts from defunct LEGO sets.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Taintrunner posted:

so how loving bad do things get in 2020 next year. what’s all the worst case scenarios. gimme specifics

Republicans regain house and gain seats in Congress and trump gets reelected

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the british crave punishment to ease the guilt of their ancestral crimes, who are we to deny them penance

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
*Labour defeats every Brexit vote and LibDems lose more seats than they gain*

IF i WaS cOrByN i WouLd SiMplY RuN AgAinSt BrExIt

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

Republicans regain house and gain seats in Congress and trump gets reelected

Bernie sanders runs (and loses the popular vote), Republicans regain house, get a supermajority in Congress, Trump is reelected

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

so how loving bad do things get in 2020 next year. what’s all the worst case scenarios. gimme specifics

Trump and Boris do the fusion dance, their combined power as Bornald Trumpson is so great that they take over the entire earth.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The labor party isn't going to have some massive snap back to the right because of this; absolutely none of the material conditions that have driven it have changed. Young people are still pissed. Old people are still trying to fly the country into the ground. The liberals remain completely useless.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

Bernie sanders runs (and loses the popular vote), Republicans regain house, get a supermajority in Congress, Trump is reelected

also Hawaii votes to become an independent nation and Puerto Rico starts rumbling about joining Cuba

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

KaptainKrunk posted:

republicans gain 34 state legislatures and call constitutional convention

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ah, goddammit

https://twitter.com/bbcelection/status/1205328829750878208

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Taintrunner posted:

- trump re-elected, republicans take back the house, ginsburg and breyer both die and the supreme court is 7-2 by end of year.
- third israeli election in a year finally gives bibi the presidency back, all criminal charges against him are dropped
- italian coalition collapses, Salvini's fascist bloc win outright majority
- same for spanish coalition, mainstream right-wing invites Vox into coalition
- more once-in-a-century storms, fires, etc, increased ice melt to levels that 10 years ago were predicted for 2100, all that good stuff

..just off the top of my head

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

This is the best possible reply the British Government could give to a question that the non-Communist British labour “leaders", who are captives to bourgeois prejudices, are afraid even to ask, namely, which class the terror is directed against—the oppressed and exploited, or the oppressors and exploiters? Is it a question of the “freedom” of the capitalists to rob, deceive and dupe the working people, or of the “freedom” of the toilers from the yoke of the capitalists, the speculators and the property-owners? The labour “leaders” who pursue a non-Communist policy are 99 per cent representatives of the bourgeoisie, of its deceit, its prejudices.

In conclusion, I want to thank you once again, comrades, for having sent your delegation here. Despite the hostility of many of the delegates towards the Soviet system and the dictatorship of the proletariat, and although many of them are in the grip of bourgeois prejudices, their acquaintance with Soviet Russia will inevitably accelerate the collapse of capitalism throughout the world.

N. Lenin

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1SxZoFmOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/JGreenblattADL/status/1205331638441431043?s=20

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

supreme court strikes down a bunch of key parts of obamacare causing it to unravel and dozens of millions of people to wake up without health insurance or health insurance 1000% more expensive

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Apraxin posted:

- trump re-elected, republicans take back the house, ginsburg and breyer both die and the supreme court is 7-2 by end of year.
- third israeli election in a year finally gives bibi the presidency back, all criminal charges against him are dropped
- more once-in-a-century storms, fires, etc, increased ice melt to levels that 10 years ago were predicted for 2100, all that good stuff

how about the German far right get to select the next chancellor as a lil end of the year cherry on top

Serf
May 5, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

supreme court strikes down a bunch of key parts of obamacare causing it to unravel and dozens of millions of people to wake up without health insurance or health insurance 1000% more expensive

the most common obamacare plan i used to see at my old job had a $6400 deductible lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Taintrunner posted:

just watch Threads on YouTube and that feeling you have afterwards about sums it up.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Meister posted:

how about the German far right get to select the next chancellor as a lil end of the year cherry on top

germany is an interesting case cause while you have actual nazis coming back you also have like; people in berlin being so angry about rent they protested till the government froze rents

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

the most common obamacare plan i used to see at my old job had a $6400 deductible lol

it's poo poo but it could be even more poo poo, seems to be a common trend lately

edit: like, im not talking tenable versus untenable. only sliding scales of untenable

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If we're laying our Cyberpunk 2077 fan timelines, be sure to include Macron crowning himself and declaring a new French Empire
Also AMLO in Mexico and Alberto Fernández in Argentina being forced out of office

Serf
May 5, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

it's poo poo but it could be even more poo poo, seems to be a common trend lately

i guess my point is that it was so poo poo that it was basically having no insurance and it will become even shittier i guess

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Serf posted:

i guess my point is that it was so poo poo that it was basically having no insurance and it will become even shittier i guess

now available in the U.K.!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Apraxin posted:

the reactions to this one would be incredible

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apraxin posted:

water wars
permanent droughts
mass migrations/entire countries countries
fascist control in less ecologically damaged areas
American civil war 2
god-emperor trump

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

also if you don't want to get blackpilled, France is literally right next to the UK and is having a general strike right now against neoliberal reforms

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Venom Snake posted:

germany is an interesting case cause while you have actual nazis coming back you also have like; people in berlin being so angry about rent they protested till the government froze rents

Hopefully it'll be the same in other countries, I figure Germans just have a more recent bad time they can remember and organize against. Comparatively, the UK and US have many people to this day who are convinced they are forces of good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Freaks. Absolute, total perverts.