Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hi this is not 9/11-era SA, gently caress your lovely horrible joke and gently caress you, get the gently caress out

Wow dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

To be fair, that seems to be every industry over there...which just makes it sadder actually.

Eh anime is sorta worse cause they don’t get the salaryman pensions. If you’re a salaryman you are at the office and drunk with coworkers for a huge part of your life, but fairly unproductive at work and you get a nice pension at the end.

Animators are just in constant crunch and don’t get any pension, and with their meagre income won’t be able to save much. I’ve been a (fairly low paid) animator in canada for the last 5 years and my life is leaps and bounds better than Japanese animators, though now some of my coworkers are ppl from japan, India and Korea who have escaped the life over there. And they’re really good. I’m starting to wonder if soon the whole Canadian industry will be made up of talent from Asia who were good enough to escape that life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow dude, surprising that someone might have a vitriolic reaction to a really abhorrent thing you said as a joke, piss off

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow dude, surprising that someone might have a vitriolic reaction to a really abhorrent thing you said as a joke, piss off

i apologise for writing the dumb words and fully acknowledge the dogpile is warranted in this thread but maybe your reaction is a little bit much

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joke wasn't hilarious but it was good enough. Sorry to all your families that died in the fire.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In other news I drunk watched Enter the Florpus again and it’s still perfect. I’m still shocked they gave Dib an actual emotional arc.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok that was maybe too dark a joke
it was horrible, but i did laugh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Batman vs TMNT may be a lowkey masterpiece in combining both various incarnations of both franchises in one and also comparing and contrasting the common points of both.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/insom_art/status/1202166698788507648?s=19

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

starkebn posted:

gallows humour is a thing, lay off

I don't think lol Japan jokes are really ever done out of sympathy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Batman vs TMNT may be a lowkey masterpiece in combining both various incarnations of both franchises in one and also comparing and contrasting the common points of both.

The comic has a horrible moment where
the villain gets magic reality warping powers and merges the turtles with bats into some unholy horror

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

It's frankly impressive how blatant this is, from the looks of it practically the entire video was stolen from a variety of sources:

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1202187253889601539?s=20

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The laziness of the art director who was just like “yeah, this will work, and if not we’ll just say it’s a homage.”

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Apparently he’s been fired.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1202279852801437697?s=20

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/faaoffice/status/1197120740601974784?s=19

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's frankly impressive how blatant this is, from the looks of it practically the entire video was stolen from a variety of sources:

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1202187253889601539?s=20

Oh wow that is a shot for shot trace, I can't believe he thought he could get away with that. Stealing from FLCL and Steven Universe seems like an especially bad idea since like basically everyone who cares about animation has seen at least one if not both of those two things.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 7, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ccs posted:

The laziness of the art director who was just like “yeah, this will work, and if not we’ll just say it’s a homage.”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the kyoani gofundme has finished, at long last.

quote:

To friends and followers of this campaign,

We expect this will be our final update.

As we discussed in our prior update, nearly all campaign funds were disbursed to Kyoto Animation on November 21, 2019. That left only a small percentage of funds reserved for final credit card processing purposes. As of this writing, the final disbursement of reserved funds is now complete. Kyoto Animation’s official representative has confirmed their receipt. With that, this campaign has fulfilled its objective and reached its natural conclusion.

As this crowdfunding initiative comes to a close, we reflect upon the enduring legacy of the Kyoto Animation family and their body of beautiful, inspiring work — work that will continue to inspire people around the globe for years to come. We are humbled to have been a part of the effort to support them during an incredibly difficult period, and we offer our sincerest and most heartfelt thanks to each of you who donated and supported this campaign. Thank you.

Our hearts remain — and will always remain — with Kyoto Animation.

:unsmith:, but also still :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XzqCUbiPc4

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Harley Quinn show in DC Universe is... pretty good? There's a lot of Venture Bros-style characterization and humor in it. It also wants you to know that it's an adult show for adults, so there's swearing and violence everywhere, which... eh.

The voice cast is great, even though Harley's accent only shows up occasionally.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So apparently The Mitchells vs. The Machines, next year's Sony film, directed by Mike Rianda (creative director on the 1st season of Gravity Falls) with Lord & Miller as producers, is gonna be 2D/CGI hybrid

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So apparently The Mitchells vs. The Machines, next year's Sony film, directed by Mike Rianda (creative director on the 1st season of Gravity Falls) with Lord & Miller as producers, is gonna be 2D/CGI hybrid

Everything you said after the word "Sony" got better and better as you continued along in that sentence.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

IUG posted:

Everything you said after the word "Sony" got better and better as you continued along in that sentence.

:yeah:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just saw frozen 2 and I don't think elsa's character made any sense and i also don't understand why kristoff was in the movie at all instead of just releasing the music video as a single

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

asecondduck posted:

The voice cast is great, even though Harley's accent only shows up occasionally.

James Adomian doing Tom Hardy Bane is fantastic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

fatherboxx posted:

James Adomian doing Tom Hardy Bane is fantastic

Doug Benson does Tom Hardy Bane in the Lego Batman Movie, and it’s a great gag there too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Looper posted:

i just saw frozen 2 and I don't think elsa's character made any sense and i also don't understand why kristoff was in the movie at all instead of just releasing the music video as a single

kristoff was in the movie to weirdly flirt with the young man who seemed like they were supposed to be a bigger character.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i served a mature-age customer the other day with full sleeve frozen tattoos, masterfully designed and crafted. she had elsa, anna, the love interest guy (i don't know their names), the reindeer and olaf

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

every time an adult comes alone to the counter with an armful of frozen merchandise, i brightly exclaim "ah! frozen!" and they look at me with gaunt despairing eyes

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i love it, i love frozen, i love the phenomenon. my favourite christmas toy we sell is a frozen-branded electric car, like one of those miniature ones kids can ride around the house. we have character wigs and singing plastic castle dollhouses and stylable disembodied elsa heads with real hair. i've never seen the movies but i love them. i love frozen, i am frozen, ho ho ho! ho ho ho! HO HO HO

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

kristoff was in the movie to weirdly flirt with the young man who seemed like they were supposed to be a bigger character.

Ah, so the art I've seen on Twitter isn't actually that far off? I've still yet to see Frozen 2.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

fauna posted:

i love it, i love frozen, i love the phenomenon. my favourite christmas toy we sell is a frozen-branded electric car, like one of those miniature ones kids can ride around the house. we have character wigs and singing plastic castle dollhouses and stylable disembodied elsa heads with real hair. i've never seen the movies but i love them. i love frozen, i am frozen, ho ho ho! ho ho ho! HO HO HO

In conclusion: When you stare into Frozen, Frozen stares into you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hey, spoilers!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, so the art I've seen on Twitter isn't actually that far off? I've still yet to see Frozen 2.

It's weird writing, like it's supposed to be like "this teen is similar to him and teaches him a new perspective" but it's written like "reindeer? I love reindeer too! we are so much the same! also we both are single... sooo... wanna hang out?"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

It's written more like there's some dropped plotline that would have had him realize he was originally from their tribe. But that would have involved giving his character something to do. Instead it kind of comes off as that trope where characters run into their near-dopplegangers but since it's only him it's kind of just another awkward thing in the movie.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I really want to see a behind the scenes on Frozen 2 because it's pretty weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

I really want to see a behind the scenes on Frozen 2 because it's pretty weird.

i have it here

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I didn't... hate Frozen 2 but I didn't like it very much either. The script in particular was bizarrely bad - it genuinely feels like they didn't know what kind of arcs to give these characters beyond the first movie, so instead just came up with a plot and had the characters function within it "just because." None of the new characters really had much personality or served much of a purpose beyond just being window dressing while the main characters do their thing. And whoever said that the Kristoff proposal subplot required Anna to just become incredibly stupid for no reason was spot-on, that whole aspect of the movie felt so forced and inconsequential.

And I don't know, maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't know if Disney is the right company to make a movie that's essentially about reparations/righting historical wrongs, especially not in a movie for really little kids like this one is. You can't give kids what they're looking for in this sort of movie while addressing the subject matter with the complexity it requires - or if you can, you can't do it like this. Arendelle facing absolutely no repercussions felt like the perfectly safe Disney response to the issue at hand. It came across as them wanting to pay lip service to the issue without getting their hands dirty, which is frankly more than a little cowardly.

But hey, I did really like the Kristoff ballad. That was a lot of fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that Green Eggs and Ham show... I was not expecting any of that. Were the showrunners just given free reign to go off the rails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is there any deeper reason Frozen 1 got insanely popular beyond that one song becoming memetic and young kids being little demonic lemmings? Like it spoke to the anxieties of the late Obama era or something?