Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

onesixtwo posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YB32H52/ref=emc_b_5_mob_t

Someone posted this not even a full page ago and I bought one immediately. Definitely my favorite keyboard so far.

What weird mouse is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I killed a Model M many years ago, and have been using the cheapest $10 Logitech boards since then-

I'm gonna have an extra hundo to spend getting my feet wet again in the wide world of keyboards and custom caps, and it looks like the Ducky One 2 Skyline about meets my needs? Like, seems like a good starter and the blue switches will be reminiscent of the Model-M thunderstorm I dearly miss?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Peanut Butler posted:

I killed a Model M many years ago, and have been using the cheapest $10 Logitech boards since then-

I'm gonna have an extra hundo to spend getting my feet wet again in the wide world of keyboards and custom caps, and it looks like the Ducky One 2 Skyline about meets my needs? Like, seems like a good starter and the blue switches will be reminiscent of the Model-M thunderstorm I dearly miss?

A little bit, not quite the real deal. If you truly want the real deal, you can buy them from Unicomp. They're not quite the same, but they're built with the same machinery as the IBM Model M and by the same crew. (The workforce essentially bought out the factory when it was threatened with closure)

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

A little bit, not quite the real deal. If you truly want the real deal, you can buy them from Unicomp. They're not quite the same, but they're built with the same machinery as the IBM Model M and by the same crew. (The workforce essentially bought out the factory when it was threatened with closure)

My experience with unicomp has been pretty horrible. The board I received was defective and I sent it back twice and received even more defective boards. Now since the 1 year warranty period has expired they won't send me another.

They are still using the original model M machines to manufacture the keyboards and honestly I think they are too old and tired to be trusted at this point.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
My experience with Unicomp has been excellent, YMMV.

e: My Unicomps are the Classic (in its full original gigantic 7-pound glory) so I dunno if the quality might be spottier if you get one of the smaller versions or what.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Eric the Mauve posted:

My experience with Unicomp has been excellent, YMMV.

Mine too.

Also, if you still have the dead Model M, Unicomp will repair it for a flat $45. (Or $70 to repair and convert it to USB.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are Cherry G80 keyboards worth $50 used?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shaocaholica posted:

Are Cherry G80 keyboards worth $50 used?

They're around $100 new so if you like them, then that's probably a fair price. The one thing to look out for would be that if they were previously in business use they might be pretty worn. Personally, I think there are better choices for keyboards now that there are so many MX clone switches available that are more interesting than the Cherry MX switches, but that's not to say that they're bad, just maybe not as good of a value proposition than they were five years ago.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AT connector. New old stock. No windows key. So....early 90s?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shaocaholica posted:

That looks like a great lgr video thing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah the Windows key was added to some keyboards with Windows 95 which was released in '95. This listing for that keyboard on Amazon says it's from '95 so that fits:
https://smile.amazon.com/SIIG-CLICKY-Keyboard-Resistant-Classic/dp/B00JRK4UZ0

quote:

Fun Touch Keyboard #KB 1922. New in box. From 1995 and it was $89.99 NEW back then. New Fun Touch Keyboard. This Fun Touch keyboard is a fun and easy way to stimulate a child's interest and personal creativity! This keyboard is super durable! It's completely spill resistant and the keys last over 10,000,000 strokes! Included is the creativity kit with reference templates, template holder, dinosaur stickers and color board to decorate not only the keyboard but monitor as well. Included are alaphabet stickers and fun SIIGy stickers. Keyboard is new and in original packaging. Supports IBM-compatible computers. 102-key QWERTY keyboard layout. Seperate numberic and cursor-control keypad. 12 Function keys.

I still have a couple of DIN-5 to ps/2 adapters from using my old keyboards with pentium or later PCs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah this is going to be my work daily KB once I get a AT to USB adapter.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Does anyone have a single-cable solution that will connect a keyboard with a USB-C connector (I'm thinking of my Massdrop CTRL in particular, if that matters) to a computer with USB-C connectors, like a Macbook? I've never gotten a single USB-C to USB-C cable to work, even well-built ones like the Anker I use for charging.

I know most keyboards with USB-C interfaces (including my CTRL) speak USB 2.0 and don't support Displayport, PD, etc., which is fine. The rest of the internet is clear as mud on the issue of connecting USB-C keyboards to USB-C computers. Even if it isn't possible without an active adapter, I'm surprised someone doesn't build cables with one built in.

Any ideas, or am I stuck with a USB-C-to-USB-A-cable-to-USB-A-to-USB-C-dongle solution?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I'd RMA the keyboard, honestly. I know usb-c cables are a mess right now but I've never heard of one so bad that a usb 2.0 device like a keyboard wouldn't work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'd like to get new F/J keycaps with the bumps for my Cherry G80 KB which has the dished ones. Where can I get such things?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Yeah the Windows key was added to some keyboards with Windows 95 which was released in '95. This listing for that keyboard on Amazon says it's from '95 so that fits:

my Model M lasted me from Win95 to late XP- I still hit Ctrl+Esc sometimes to open the start menu

the real pro move on an older keyboard is remapping LCtrl -> Win, and Caps Lock -> Ctrl, which ruled except for:
-hitting LCtrl with palm while playing a fullscreen video game, ooops start menu time
-putting me in the habit of having a sensible location for the Ctrl key, loving me up on laptop/at work/etc

srsly tho why hasn't Caps Lock been relegated to the PrtSc/SysRq/ScrLk zone

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I use CapsLock all the time in my daily work :mad:

Maybe this means I'm not doing my work correctly ...

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I use CapsLock all the time in my daily work :mad:

Maybe this means I'm not doing my work correctly ...

No seriously why? Even mainframe terminal emulators don't really require caps anymore (they'll just convert automatically if set correctly)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just got my Unicomp back from repair (it had taken a power spike and I feared it was dead) and holy cow, the magic of typing is back. (I do like my old Das with cherry mx reds, but it's just not as nice to type on as proper old-school buckling springs.)

It seems the repair consisted of swapping out the fried logic board for a new one, which came with a pleasant surprise: the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock LEDs have transmogrified from green to blue!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm digging the color scheme on that one :D

Is there any place that sells keycaps that look exactly like that (colors, font)?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Disharmony posted:

I'm digging the color scheme on that one :D

Is there any place that sells keycaps that look exactly like that (colors, font)?

There's close:
https://kprepublic.com/products/red...-660-yellow-red
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32957244666.html

also the inverse:
https://kprepublic.com/products/ris...-660-yellow-red

There may be more but those are what I found on a cursory search.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

SoftNum posted:

No seriously why? Even mainframe terminal emulators don't really require caps anymore (they'll just convert automatically if set correctly)

Mostly, when writing emails, just for typing certain acronyms that always come up. Sometimes for typing server names, but there's no real reason for those to be in all caps :shrug:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I love the caps lock button as a convenient key to remap to something more useful.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Mostly, when writing emails, just for typing certain acronyms that always come up. Sometimes for typing server names, but there's no real reason for those to be in all caps :shrug:

I’ve just been staring at this for like two minutes

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Got my Hasu USB USB Converter in only 4 days straight from Japan today. Hopefully installing QMK soon and bringing my keymaps to every board I touch.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Any reviews on Hako Royal Clears? Haven't seen anyone raving about them, looking for a large tactility switch

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mewse posted:

Any reviews on Hako Royal Clears? Haven't seen anyone raving about them, looking for a large tactility switch

I'm sure that they are exactly what they claim to be.

I love the Hako Clears (pre-retooling) and while the Trues aren't my favorite switch, they are incredibly well made and very tactile. I'm just not a huge fan of the weird preload.
Or maybe I am. I still don't know.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

mewse posted:

I have Hako Royal Trues on my keyboard and they're fairly stiff/springy which I enjoy because I type pretty heavy-handedly. I can imagine a more tactile version being pretty satisfying.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Taima posted:

I’ve just been staring at this for like two minutes

Caps lock is still useful if you use a weird mod-tap home row modifier layout:

One of the downsides is that typing alternating caps characters is very slow. I actually use a caps lock bound to my auxiliary shift layer about once a week.

That said, I lived without caps for years. Setting caps to backspace or ctrl is way more sensible.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 14, 2019

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

AbsoluteLlama posted:

That said, I lived without caps for years. Setting caps to backspace or ctrl is way more sensible.

My caps is mapped to ctrl and situationally esc (for when I'm using vim) and honestly it makes my life so much better.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

clockwork automaton posted:

My caps is mapped to ctrl and situationally esc (for when I'm using vim) and honestly it makes my life so much better.

hell yes another vim user

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

clockwork automaton posted:

Mines esc when tapped and my 2nd layer when I hold it

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Mines esc when tapped and my 2nd layer when I hold it

:hfive: I got my first programmable keyboard recently and this was the first thing I did

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm sure that they are exactly what they claim to be.

I love the Hako Clears (pre-retooling) and while the Trues aren't my favorite switch, they are incredibly well made and very tactile. I'm just not a huge fan of the weird preload.
Or maybe I am. I still don't know.

rarbatrol posted:

I have Hako Royal Trues on my keyboard and they're fairly stiff/springy which I enjoy because I type pretty heavy-handedly. I can imagine a more tactile version being pretty satisfying.

Thanks for the feedback, I've been waffling because I don't really like box stems and the force curves on tactile box switches look janky to me.

I found out today that the ppl who made kbdfans T1 and counterfeit zealios are on aliexpress as durock (they're also called everglide in other places). They're even selling the koala switches that kbdfans cancelled. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with koala switches for my current TKL build because the T1 switches I got before the "scandal" are really nice.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

mewse posted:

the "scandal"

Oh, god. What now?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

Oh, god. What now?

If you google kbdfans stealios it probably covers it.

I think it was just after kbdfans had shipped one of the early group buys of T1 switches that it blew up that T1s are clones of gateron molds and that kbdfans had been selling counterfeit zealios rather than ones directly from gateron. Kbdfans posted a big apology post saying that they're not working with the factory that made T1s/counterfeit zealios anymore. For some reason a lot of community members seem to be hyperprotective of zealpc's profit margin and trashed kbdfans.

I just read today that the guy who owns the durock factory is blaming an intermediary who 1) arranged the T1 deal with kbdfans 2) sold fake zealios to kbdfans using genuine gateron top housings 3) tried to purchase the T1 molds when poo poo started blowing up

It's all a bunch of chinese drama horseshit. T1 switches are good tho, I want to try koalas

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
KBDfans stopped buying Tealios straight from Zeal and started buying them from an alternate source for cheaper. Zeal started becoming suspicious since he is supposed to be the only Tealios source but KBDfans are continuing to fulfill orders beyond the number of switches they got from Zeal.

Turns out the other source were some very good fakes/clones. KBDfans had some willful ignorance/shadiness? in not knowing that the Tealios were fake, considering it's the same source that made the T1's for them.

They've both made up now though and KBDfans can sell Zeal products as per usual.

It's kind of funny picking sides as a consumer because KBDfans is an awesome vendor with great service and some great products. Zeal still makes my favourite switches but the dude is all about fat profits (high price of Zealios were supposed to be to cover the initial tooling cost, but Zealios switch prices have only gone up since) and continues to sell hugely marked up bullshit boutique products, which I guess is his business plan, so whatevs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you've got a soldering iron and want to build a tenkeyless, this kit seems pretty great:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073063135.html

Have to provide your own switches + keycaps, everything else including stabilizers are included. The switch plate seems to be powder coated steel. The outer plastic has that soft touch rubber coating. It's an unassembled kit of the doomhammer choc 87.

It does require soldering a capacitor and the JST socket for the usb cable but that shouldn't be much more trouble than soldering the switches (both parts are through-hole)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I already have a Vortex Race, and though the Vortex Race 3 looks tempting, there is not a significant difference in the layout. Though I appreciate this, all I really want it for is USB-C (which I can live without and can't be achieved with a simple mod) and the lowered frame. Replacement frames are readily available for 60% keyboards, but I am having difficulty finding 75% frames. Anyone know of a good source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mewse posted:

If you've got a soldering iron and want to build a tenkeyless, this kit seems pretty great:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000073063135.html

Have to provide your own switches + keycaps, everything else including stabilizers are included. The switch plate seems to be powder coated steel. The outer plastic has that soft touch rubber coating. It's an unassembled kit of the doomhammer choc 87.

It does require soldering a capacitor and the JST socket for the usb cable but that shouldn't be much more trouble than soldering the switches (both parts are through-hole)

Why are there never pictures of the underside?

Also, am I the only one who really wants a big-ol-clunky USB-B socket on the keyboard side?