Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FireDooley posted:

Any wrestling fans know if it's better to go to the NJPW Suidobashi shop or Todoukan wrestling shop in Sugamo? I know Todoukan is bigger but I kind of wanted to swing by and see the Tokyo Dome/Korauken Hall and I can probably only convince my wife to let me do one wrestling related stop.

I thought I saw there was something in Akihabara too...

The NJPW shop is going to be limited to what’s new and available, so you will miss some of the history and odds and ends available at Todoukan. If you want to also see Korakuen and the Dome, well, one of those shops is nearby, one is not.

Akihabara is nearby too. Also: there’s a Haoming Mask pop-up at Suidobashi right now (through Jan 5) that’s worth a look as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireDooley
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah logistically Suidobashi makes more sense, but the other store is bigger, I may just end up deciding the day of, thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go to them all and set your wife free for the day.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Taiwan is drat near as good as Japan and depending on your personality can be quite a bit better.

:roflolmao:

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Hi i'm heading to tokyo for 10 days in january, and i need some fun poo poo for me and my partner to do.

I really wanna check out some local metal bands around tokyo, can anyone recommend a good venue for some screamy yellies?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

antiknock is the place

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

March 20-21
https://knotfestjapan.com/

I'm going on 3/21 ^_______^

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Vilgefartz posted:

Hi i'm heading to tokyo for 10 days in january, and i need some fun poo poo for me and my partner to do.

I really wanna check out some local metal bands around tokyo, can anyone recommend a good venue for some screamy yellies?

I guess they aren't locals, but Galneryus should be playing at some place called Studio Coast in Tokyo on January 10 in case you're there around that time.
Looks to be down by the water near some place called Shinkiba Park.
No idea how ticketing works for it, but if you like power metal or similar they are really good.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
drat that looks amazing. I should've mentioned we'll be there from the 12th to the 22nd, which is a bummer. Definitely will check out Antiknock ty peanut

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
If any one of you gringos are out and about in shibuya for the next week hit me up for some sort of hub based goonmeet

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Jackson Polack posted:

If any one of you gringos are out and about in shibuya for the next week hit me up for some sort of hub based goonmeet

I can be there in like 15min at just about any given time so, uh lemme know.

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
I don’t know which one I’m in but pm me I can always try and find ya

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Flying there tomorrow, looking forward to stuffing sweet sweet gizzard and raw pig wombs in my mouth and flushing them down with kurohoppy

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018

LimburgLimbo posted:

I can be there in like 15min at just about any given time so, uh lemme know.

If I ever figure out how to pm from the awful app I’ll try and reach out

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
My girlfriend and I are landing Osaka 5.30pm 2 February 2020. I've been to Japan previously in 2016 and stayed in Kyoto and Tokyo but she has not. We fly out of Seoul 22 February at 8pm. I haven't booked tickets from Tokyo to Busan yet, because we aren't 100% on the dates. We will have the 14 day JR Pass.

I am thinking we base out of Kyoto instead of Osaka because of its historical / cultural focus.

I want to head to Okunoin Cemetry, Kumano Hongu Taisha and Kumanonachi Taisha. How long do we need to set aside for exploring these areas? She wants to go to Nara so we'll need to factor that in too.

I would like to hike to Nakasendo trail between Magome and Tsumago - how feasible is this in the winter time?

Other places:

Takayama, Shirakawa-go and Kanazawa.

Nagano

After all that we need a few days in Tokyo (incl. day trip to Nikko).

Willing to drop a couple of places if need be (probably the Nakasendo trail). How feasible is this / how many days? We don't want to be too rushed.

Also want to stay in a Ryokan with a private onsen - happy to figure out on my own but if anyone can recommend any in the above locations i'd appreciate it.

thanks,

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

go_banana posted:

My girlfriend and I are landing Osaka 5.30pm 2 February 2020. I've been to Japan previously in 2016 and stayed in Kyoto and Tokyo but she has not. We fly out of Seoul 22 February at 8pm. I haven't booked tickets from Tokyo to Busan yet, because we aren't 100% on the dates.

You should check what prices are for Busan and check if there are any holidays that might drive the price up.

Also Kyoto and Osaka are so close my recommendation would be “stay somewhere good and reasonably priced with good transport links,” eg decent hotel near the major station, but I tend to travel and use the hotel as breakfast/crash spot.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

harperdc posted:

You should check what prices are for Busan and check if there are any holidays that might drive the price up.

Also Kyoto and Osaka are so close my recommendation would be “stay somewhere good and reasonably priced with good transport links,” eg decent hotel near the major station, but I tend to travel and use the hotel as breakfast/crash spot.

Oops, I should clarify that I will buy the tickets as soon as possible. I just really have no idea how long to give for the areas I want to see. At the moment I am thinking either 15/2 or 16/2.

100% agreed on the location - I've got my eye on a hotel directly across from Kyoto station based on a family member's recommendation.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

im gonna go to kyushu and the plan to hang around fukuoka and nagasaki for like a week is there anything else that's good to see there??? is kagoshima/sakurajima worth the trip?

no one seems to know anything about those 9 states down south!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Eat udon and drive drunk? Iunno m8.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magna Kaser posted:

im gonna go to kyushu and the plan to hang around fukuoka and nagasaki for like a week is there anything else that's good to see there??? is kagoshima/sakurajima worth the trip?

Check out Takachiho

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

volanoes are cool, op

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

volanoes are cool, op

i think so anyway!!!!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Except in New Zealand.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

How much do you like shochu and chicken?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

How much do you like shochu and chicken?

i like both fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

You’re asking the wrong people!

Depending on how deep you want to get, there’s a few small onsen towns that are pretty good, Arita/Hasami have great traditional pottery, and Nagasaki city itself has a bunch of historic spots to do with foreigners coming to and being in Japan.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

harperdc posted:

You’re asking the wrong people!

Depending on how deep you want to get, there’s a few small onsen towns that are pretty good, Arita/Hasami have great traditional pottery, and Nagasaki city itself has a bunch of historic spots to do with foreigners coming to and being in Japan.

i mostly want to wander around and relax and eat and drink a lot. it's a pretty impromptu trip mostly cuz its less than a two hour flight. Was looking at doing one night in some ryokan with hot spring baths or something.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LyonsLions posted:

Check out Takachiho

Went here in early november this year and it was great, didn't end up rowing through the canyon but the hiking alone was very worth it. Make sure you stay there too so you can watch the Kagura at night.

It's also decently close to several good hotspring towns, I stayed in Kurokawa onsen and it was a really nice, cozy little town with several good hot springs to try.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

ya

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

volanoes are cool, op

I hear they tend to be pretty warm :thunk:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I'm finally making time to see the Sapporo Snow Festival this year, but I can only catch the tail end. It'll be my first time there anyway so I thought I'd stay a couple days afterwards to see what else is around. Any suggested locations and restaurants?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Weird, my Maestro debit card stopped working here, I was always able to use it just fine before, even this exact same card. Had to recall my credit card's pin since I never use it outside of online purchases, and was able to withdraw money with that, but still kind of sucks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Weird, my Maestro debit card stopped working here, I was always able to use it just fine before, even this exact same card. Had to recall my credit card's pin since I never use it outside of online purchases, and was able to withdraw money with that, but still kind of sucks.

this is the stupid question but did the chip just get really dirty? that happens with my cards all the drat time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

this is the stupid question but did the chip just get really dirty? that happens with my cards all the drat time.

Possibly that's it, maybe the card readers are just more sensitive here (I used it just fine in Holland before I left though). I tried all the usual foreign card-friendly ATM chains but all gave a "can't read this card" error

I read somewhere that the fact that Japanese ATM's accepted debit maestro's was kind of unusual in that they only accepted Dutch ones (possibly because Dutch people tend to not even have credit cards) but not from other countries. Maybe that status was revoked for some reason? I couldn't find anything about it though, I guess I could call my bank and ask.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

Possibly that's it, maybe the card readers are just more sensitive here (I used it just fine in Holland before I left though). I tried all the usual foreign card-friendly ATM chains but all gave a "can't read this card" error

I read somewhere that the fact that Japanese ATM's accepted debit maestro's was kind of unusual in that they only accepted Dutch ones (possibly because Dutch people tend to not even have credit cards) but not from other countries. Maybe that status was revoked for some reason? I couldn't find anything about it though, I guess I could call my bank and ask.

If it says that it can't read the card, it's probably just dirt on the chip. Try wiping the chip with a cloth or something (a t-shirt is usually fine) and it should work again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping to take a trip for a week or two in early March. What are the best airlines? I have a Hawaiian and Alaskan card, if that matters.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I had a good experience with Cathay Pacific

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I'm hoping to take a trip for a week or two in early March. What are the best airlines? I have a Hawaiian and Alaskan card, if that matters.

Korean Air, Japan Airlines (JAL) and Cathay Pacific are all good and part of Alaska’s partnerships plan. Hawaiian also has crossover with Korean.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the rule of thumb for when hotels open booking windows again? Does it depend on the hotel? I'm trying to book Hotel Green Plaza for a Hakone overnight stay but can't find a single room during any days of my trip (5/9-31) which leads me to believe that it's just not accepting anything yet.

I'm trying to get all my accommodations booked now but clearly that isn't possible :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Martytoof posted:

What's the rule of thumb for when hotels open booking windows again? Does it depend on the hotel? I'm trying to book Hotel Green Plaza for a Hakone overnight stay but can't find a single room during any days of my trip (5/9-31) which leads me to believe that it's just not accepting anything yet.

I'm trying to get all my accommodations booked now but clearly that isn't possible :|

I found that three months out seemed to be the standard when I was booking rooms. Some of the larger hotels will go further out, but it seemed a lot of those were rack rates, and more expensive than waiting closer to your arrival date. It drove me crazy as I had my plane tix ten months before I went, but ended up having to wait until late August/early September to book my rooms for mid-November.