Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

marktheando posted:

My 3 is great but I’m jealous of all those watch faces that are only on the 4 and 5.

Ditto. I actually have the smaller 3 and don't particularly want it any bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I bought a 5 a few days ago (the 40mm). It's great. I was considering a 4 because I was worried about the battery drain from the always on screen. I heard the battery life improved with OS 6.1 though.

Day 1 with 6.0 installed: ~16 hours. Not good.
Day 2 with 6.1 installed: ~25+ hours. I woke up 16 hours ago and it's sitting at 36%. I bet I could sleep with it on and make it close to 30 hours, but I'm going to charge it so I guess I'll never know. Over a day is good enough for me.

I had a 2 that I only used for workouts before, but I'm planning to wear this full time. I like the big screen. It's more expensive than it should be but I'm glad I got it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Pro tip: don’t leave an unplugged charger next to the one that’s plugged in unless you wanna wake up and wonder why you’re still at 30%.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Checked the last page or two, so apologies if you guys get noobie questions all the time BUT!

I’m thinking about getting my gf one of these for Xmas. She hasn’t been covering one or anything but I think it would really come in handy for her. She travels for work pretty regularly throughout the year, so being able to check flight status/departure times would be nice if that’s possible? Also she likes to run with music playing. Can it track a run and store/play music without the phone nearby?

I was looking at the 3 unless I found a great deal on a 4 because I’m not made of money. Still not sold though, might wait for the newer models to drop in price and get one for her bday or next Xmas.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can load music on the watch (up to 4 GB?) and play it from there, but you can’t stream music from a non-cellular phone.

You can track activities without your phone, but obviously the data won’t sync up to anything until you get back to your phone.

Departure times and flight alerts heck yeah. You’ll probably need to install the airlines' apps.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Sick. Does the gps work with preloaded map data if you’re on a run without the phone?

Would it be worth it to buy a 3 right now, or should I wait to get a newer model?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There won't be a newer one for another year. I'd see if you can find any Series 4 still in stock anywhere.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Stan Taylor posted:

Sick. Does the gps work with preloaded map data if you’re on a run without the phone?

Would it be worth it to buy a 3 right now, or should I wait to get a newer model?
I’ve gone running a few times using Runkeeper and leaving my phone at home (and with a non-cellular watch), I’m not sure about preloaded map data but GPS tracking does work, although in my (somewhat limited) experience it’s not as accurate as if you also take the phone with you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I bought a 5 a few days ago (the 40mm). It's great. I was considering a 4 because I was worried about the battery drain from the always on screen. I heard the battery life improved with OS 6.1 though.

Day 1 with 6.0 installed: ~16 hours. Not good.
Day 2 with 6.1 installed: ~25+ hours. I woke up 16 hours ago and it's sitting at 36%. I bet I could sleep with it on and make it close to 30 hours, but I'm going to charge it so I guess I'll never know. Over a day is good enough for me.

I had a 2 that I only used for workouts before, but I'm planning to wear this full time. I like the big screen. It's more expensive than it should be but I'm glad I got it.
I had the same experience with Day 1 vs. Day 2. Apparently there's a lot of background syncing with your phone after the initial setup, so I guess it's pretty normal! On a regular day I'll dip just barely below 40% at bedtime, and I've never adjusted the Always On Display settings, :feelsgood:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

No. GPS is for tracking your exercise, not for navigation. Afterwards you can look at the map on your phone and see where you ran.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
This third-party app is great for running and lets you pre-load maps and routes: http://www.workoutdoors.net/

Built 4 Cuban Linux fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 6, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In my experience, most runners want GPS just for route tracking / distance, not navigation. And any current Apple Watch works fine for that.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, that’s what I was wanting to know. I’m a dumbass and don’t really know the terminology or how gps works. Sounds cool. I’ll keep an eye out for a deal and maybe end up getting her a 3 and some extra bands.

Ended up ordering the 40mm gen 5 cause it was on sale on amazon and I have the extra cash right now. Now to hunt for a couple styles of bands to wrap with it.

Stan Taylor fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 11, 2019

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah, that’s what I was wanting to know. I’m a dumbass and don’t really know the terminology or how gps works. Sounds cool. I’ll keep an eye out for a deal and maybe end up getting her a 3 and some extra bands.

Just a heads up; if you get her some extra Apple-branded bands they're going to cost about the same amount as the watch. You'll either want to get some knock-offs or wait for her to decide what kind of band she prefers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Trying to pair a Series 3 with an iPhone 6 on 12.4.3 or whatever the latest is. The watch says I have to have at least iOS 12, but when I go to pair it, it says I need to update the phone first. But the phone is up to date. What the poo poo?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think 6S is the minimum to pair with an Apple Watch now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Trying to pair a Series 3 with an iPhone 6 on 12.4.3 or whatever the latest is. The watch says I have to have at least iOS 12, but when I go to pair it, it says I need to update the phone first. But the phone is up to date. What the poo poo?

I imagine some combination of force-closing the Watch app and restarting both devices should fix that. When it comes to pairing and updating, the Apple Watch can be pretty finicky in my experience.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I think 6S is the minimum to pair with an Apple Watch now.

Yeah looks like it

quote:

Apple Watch Series 5 and Apple Watch Series 3 require an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Goddammit

Thanks Tim

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Would the SE also fit the minimum?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m using an SE on my series 3 right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The iPhone SE uses the same SOC as the 6S

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Is there a standard recommendation for an iPhone + Apple Watch charging pad/station? Ratings and prices seem to vary pretty widely.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mekyabetsu posted:

Is there a standard recommendation for an iPhone + Apple Watch charging pad/station? Ratings and prices seem to vary pretty widely.

I have this one, it works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GK676V5/

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Just went from a 38 mm Series 2 to a 44 mm Series 5 and holy poo poo

Any cool things I should try that I probably have no idea about? I’m just getting used to apps not taking 7-10 seconds to open.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
whoa, I had no idea you could double-click the side button to jump straight to Apple Pay. And here I was wishing for a Wallet complication like a simpleton.

old news to most I'm sure, but worth mentioning for fellow watch noobs!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Watch is basically the only way I use Apple Pay and it owns.

Feels like I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Protocol7 posted:

Watch is basically the only way I use Apple Pay and it owns.

Feels like I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not.

The best is that moment between when you get the “C’mon pal, hurry up” look from the cashier and when they realize you’ve already paid.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m thinking about picking up a series 4 when they go on sale after Christmas. Would I be missing out on much between 4 and 5?

Does anyone here regularly swim/surf with theirs? Really keen to track exercise stats when I surf but am a little worried about damaging or loosing it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The only difference is the always-on display AFAIK.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Red_Fred posted:

I’m thinking about picking up a series 4 when they go on sale after Christmas. Would I be missing out on much between 4 and 5?

Does anyone here regularly swim/surf with theirs? Really keen to track exercise stats when I surf but am a little worried about damaging or loosing it.

Look up a blog by “dc rainmaker.” He’s a triathlete and reviews the poo poo out of fitness trackers. Not sure if he’d have anything to say about surfing but I’m sure he’s used an Apple Watch in open water.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lazyhound posted:

The only difference is the always-on display AFAIK.

I thought the battery was better, but because of the AoD it comes out as a wash (unless you turn AoD off).

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought the battery was better, but because of the AoD it comes out as a wash (unless you turn AoD off).

Personal battery anecdote:
I've had my 5 for about 10 days now and I'm getting ~30 hours per charge (with AOD on)
I recharge every night but it's usually at 40% before I go to sleep.
It's much better than I expected.

The always on screen is cool, hard to say if its worth it because I don't really have an earlier experience to compare it to.
Personally, I'm happy I spent the extra money, but it was only about $40 extra given the prices at the time.

Built 4 Cuban Linux fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 13, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Personal battery anecdote:
I've had my 5 for about 10 days now and I'm getting ~30 hours per charge (with AOD on)
I recharge every night but it's usually at 40% before I go to sleep.
It's much better than I expected.

The always on screen is cool, hard to say if its worth it because I don't really have an earlier experience to compare it to.
Personally, I'm happy I spent the extra money, but it was only about $40 extra given the prices at the time.

Do you work out at all? I'm in power reserve by 8pm every night with a 1-hour workout every morning, even with no LTE usage :(

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Do you work out at all? I'm in power reserve by 8pm every night with a 1-hour workout every morning, even with no LTE usage :(

maybe gets to ~35 on indoor workout days, ~25-30 on outdoor workout days that need gps. haven't gone on any long runs or bike rides because of the weather so i won't really push it until the spring.

my complications are pretty simple (just weather and activity), i imagine there are some that could really gently caress up the battery

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I just did an online chat and have an appointment to bring mine in for diagnostics/repair tomorrow. The previous 2-3 times I did the support chat (on 6.0), it was just "ok update firmware and wait a couple days," "un-pair the watch and re-pair it and wait a few days," etc. The first time they ran remote "diagnostics" on it and of course it passed.

Their website says the LTE edition should last 18 hours, with 4 of those hours being on LTE per day. 1 hour workout while listening to music. And that was using lovely pre-production software too.

Like, I'm not draining in 2 hours, but I'm definitely coming way short of those advertised marks. I'm guessing they'll say "yep passes diagnostics" and send me on my way tomorrow.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeah I just did an online chat and have an appointment to bring mine in for diagnostics/repair tomorrow. The previous 2-3 times I did the support chat (on 6.0), it was just "ok update firmware and wait a couple days," "un-pair the watch and re-pair it and wait a few days," etc. The first time they ran remote "diagnostics" on it and of course it passed.

Their website says the LTE edition should last 18 hours, with 4 of those hours being on LTE per day. 1 hour workout while listening to music. And that was using lovely pre-production software too.

Like, I'm not draining in 2 hours, but I'm definitely coming way short of those advertised marks. I'm guessing they'll say "yep passes diagnostics" and send me on my way tomorrow.
They’ve said 18 hours for every single watch generation, and it’s been a conservative estimate (to varying degrees) every time. If you’re not even getting that then yeah something is up. What stuff do you use/do with it besides the morning workout?

I haven’t run mine fully down or anything but extrapolating off of percentage at the end of the day mine is generally on pace for around 30 hours, without about a two hour non GPS workout in there. Gonna snowboard this weekend so I’ll see what battery ends up like...but I’ll probably turn off the always on display since I won’t be able to see it anyway.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I definitely notice the sizable size difference between the 3 and 4. The always on between the 4 and 5 is nice but less meaningful. But if you are going from a 3 to 5, like i did, both things are a great upgrade.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

They’ve said 18 hours for every single watch generation, and it’s been a conservative estimate (to varying degrees) every time. If you’re not even getting that then yeah something is up. What stuff do you use/do with it besides the morning workout?

I haven’t run mine fully down or anything but extrapolating off of percentage at the end of the day mine is generally on pace for around 30 hours, without about a two hour non GPS workout in there. Gonna snowboard this weekend so I’ll see what battery ends up like...but I’ll probably turn off the always on display since I won’t be able to see it anyway.

Yeah that's part of the problem, my 2-year old S3 LTE destroyed the 18-hour estimate on the regular and I'd regularly go to bed with 40% or so.

Besides morning workout, I don't really use my watch for much beyond reading a few texts and checking the time. I play hockey once a week in the evening and use a hockey tracker app, which I always have to put my watch on the charger prior, annoyingly. I don't make calls on it. When I do go on an outdoor run during a morning workout, I bluetooth songs that are on a playlist on the watch, I'm not using LTE to stream them. I may get a couple text notifications.

I have all stock complications (no noise or compass), and Dark Sky (which seems to hardly update anyway), so I'm pretty sure it's not those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I have the non-LTE model, for the record. I have no idea how much extra battery that takes. I only play music from my watch on bluetooth when I'm working out, otherwise I connect direct to my phone.