Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I cannot believe that not only did this extremely commie game made by Estonians win the Subway® Fresh Indie Game Award, but they thanked Marx and Engels in their acceptance speech

https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1205340759823540224

God fuckin' bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
1. SkillUp is a neolib shuckster, gently caress that guy right off stop sharing his poo poo

2. gently caress yeah Marx and Engels

3. gently caress yeah Disco getting repped but man Outer Wilds got snubbed HARD that game deserves more recognition

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Quantum Shart posted:

3. gently caress yeah Disco getting repped but man Outer Wilds got snubbed HARD that game deserves more recognition

Why? Even in the OW thread the consensus seems to be "meh it's more of the same old Obsidian, if you're into that it's pretty good but nothing to write home about"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wafflecopper posted:

Why? Even in the OW thread the consensus seems to be "meh it's more of the same old Obsidian, if you're into that it's pretty good but nothing to write home about"

Outer Wilds isn't Outer Worlds.

You are literally playing out the tragedy of Outer Wilds, a loving amazing game that will be overshadowed by the mediocrity of Outer Worlds because people are like "BUT THEY MADE NEW VEGAS THOUGH!".

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Wafflecopper posted:

fuckin wat

Also this SkillUp review in 5 minutes has managed to missed the point a dozen times, gently caress this is garbage

e: REYSHAVOL>??!

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 13, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mulva posted:

Outer Wilds isn't Outer Worlds.

oh right my bad. outer worlds got compared to DE a lot so when i saw outer wilds mentioned itt my brain just assumed it was worlds

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

good so far but lmao that despite all the depth he missed the big INFO button on the skills

i saw the button but i was too adhd to read the descriptions:shepicide:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Somebody change the thread title to Disco Elysium - Subway's Fresh Indie Game Award Winner

Though honestly it is nice it did win those awards just because it gets the word out; previous beloved WRPGs like Planescape, Bloodlines, and Alpha Protocol just ended up being under the radar cult games. I really just hope more game devs take inspiration from Disco.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 13, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Disco won more awards than any other game I think?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheesetriangles posted:

Disco won more awards than any other game I think?
I think it tied with Death Stranding.

*Edit* Actually you're right, it beat out Death Stranding 4 to 3.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 13, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

DS won 3 and Disco 4.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I love both of these games, so I'm pretty happy, gotta say.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I am a little stuck. I ended up in the industrial harbour after jumping for my cloak, and now I can't find a way out.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

I am a little stuck. I ended up in the industrial harbour after jumping for my cloak, and now I can't find a way out.

Go kind of up and right and talk to the boss.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

I think it tied with Death Stranding.

*Edit* Actually you're right, it beat out Death Stranding 4 to 3.

Also one of those is really just Mads being excellent

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
disco won best rpg?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

disco won best rpg?

Best RPG
Best Indie Game
Best Subway Eat Fresh
Best Narrative

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Even /r/theouterworlds knows whassup

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/ea0sc4/how_did_outer_worlds_not_win_one_award/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Somewhat miffed that the gaming media seems to forget the Best RPG category existed the moment DE won it.

I mean seriously bbc? that's 'all the winners'? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50772701

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DE took Best RPG, too?

So the winner of Best Story actually had the best story and the winner of Best RPG was actually the best RPG? That's amazing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Usually these ad ceremonies just throw awards at whatever is flashiest / biggest industry names... So that was nice, I guess.

Fangz posted:

I mean seriously bbc? that's 'all the winners'? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50772701

:hmbol:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fangz posted:

Somewhat miffed that the gaming media seems to forget the Best RPG category existed the moment DE won it.

The funniest thing to me has been IGN's awards.
Game.of the Year: "Outer Worlds won our reader poll, so it wins"

Best Narrative: "Disco Elysium is the best thing since our mother's love, which it has transcended "

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Other than Marx and Engels, the devs also called out this guy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Mayakovsky

who has a pretty interesting story.

Looking at his face, he kinda reminds me of Cuno.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n04/sophie-pinkham/when-were-you-thinking-of-shooting-yourself

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 13, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game makes me want to run a 3-4 player PnP game using a similar system wherein the 4 people are helping each other but also actually totally not helping each other and with their own agendas. Set "roles," but how they choose to play and behave and specialize is entirely up to them. Could totally work and is a mostly easy enough basic system to translate over, the Thoughts would be the main tricky thing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The thoughts are basically a very large group playing Everyone is John.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I started to give people skill based insight (this is Blades in the dark) because of DE and it's fun. Skills in DE have lots of overlap with 'DM tips' that any DM cooperating with players does, just more subversive.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

This game makes me want to run a 3-4 player PnP game using a similar system wherein the 4 people are helping each other but also actually totally not helping each other and with their own agendas. Set "roles," but how they choose to play and behave and specialize is entirely up to them. Could totally work and is a mostly easy enough basic system to translate over, the Thoughts would be the main tricky thing.

This is basically what Paranoia is about, although it's quite a bit more setting-heavy than a generic system.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

dex_sda posted:

I started to give people skill based insight (this is Blades in the dark) because of DE and it's fun. Skills in DE have lots of overlap with 'DM tips' that any DM cooperating with players does.

Exactly. And all rolls are just straight DCs with 2d6+ mods. Players could even "call" a specific skill they want to lean into for something so that the whole game isn't just the DM offering them multiple choice options. I think everyone ostensibly sharing a "main" objective but then each privately having their own objective with the DM would help with the party dynamics, too. How they choose to act and play and whatnot would be the meat of the game, with the DM having one or two hidden background/backstory elements per PC that the players are completely unaware of (and don't necessarily have to take the form of memory loss/suppression) which they can choose to uncover or not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dex_sda posted:

I started to give people skill based insight (this is Blades in the dark) because of DE and it's fun. Skills in DE have lots of overlap with 'DM tips' that any DM cooperating with players does, just more subversive.

I'm doing the same in Spire. It's really helpful.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Spoiler-y questions about the church quest: Is the dance club doomed to end in failure whatever you do? Will shivers always tell you that they won’t succeed?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

This is how most games based on and including Apocalypse World are set up to work, but Legacy: Life Among the Ruins sets up actual competition between players the best of all of them at it. Each player plays a distinct group of people (family, in the game's terminology) in a post-apocalyptic world vying for resources while their characters try to figure out how to get past some big, life changing obstacle. At the end of the adventure, X time passes and the families deal with the fallout.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

Spoiler-y questions about the church quest: Is the dance club doomed to end in failure whatever you do? Will shivers always tell you that they won’t succeed?

Egg-head succeeded big time in finding himself in my playthrough. HARD CORE

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

I never got that line so clearly it doesn't happen for me. :)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I had extremely low shivers in my playthrough so I'm only guessing, but presumably it would be based on letting them deal drugs or not. Maybe and/or making the music truly HARD COAR?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DoctorTristan posted:

they're not really trying to turn it into a dance club

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

To be fair it's a hell of a longshot of an idea, to revitalize a largely forgotten area long past its heyday by putting an, um, straight-edge night club in a run down local church. Even with a sick bassline and notwithstanding the 2mm hole in the world there, the chances of that succeeding have gotta be low.

But that's one of the major themes of the game, one of the big lessons of history in our world too. Apparent futility does not have to be a reason not to do something important/loved. It's a good thing, too, or else we'd all be doing not-poo poo in the real world since in relatively little time after we stop being in it, our own world will bury our memories forever out of sight of the relentless march of life-after-we're-gone. All these beautiful, trivial things that mean so much won't last, but here we are doing them. If our cities could talk to us or understand us in an anthropomorphic way, I'm sure there would be plenty of passions and ventures they could point out to us are dead ends and they might be right.

I do think that it's still possible the club succeeds against all odds, btw, I don't take Shivers as infallible, though it clearly has more insight and a larger scope than the other more inward voices - but the area has a real history of failed ventures with the unifying problems being mainly niche appeal and eventually their reach exceeding their grasp (or, maybe it's all that pale-adjacency and stuff disappearing out of the world screwing 'em over, could be!)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 13, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Agreed posted:

To be fair it's a hell of a longshot of an idea, to revitalize a largely forgotten area long past its heyday by putting an, um, straight-edge night club in a run down local church. Even with a sick bassline and notwithstanding the 2mm hole in the world there, the chances of that succeeding have gotta be low.

But that's one of the major themes of the game, one of the big lessons of history in our world too. Apparent futility does not have to be a reason not to do something important/loved. It's a good thing, too, or else we'd all be doing not-poo poo in the real world since in relatively little time after we stop being in it, our own world will bury our memories forever out of sight of the relentless march of life-after-we're-gone. All these beautiful, trivial things that mean so much won't last, but here we are doing them. If our cities could talk to us or understand us in an anthropomorphic way, I'm sure there would be plenty of passions and ventures they could point out to us are dead ends and they might be right.

I do think that it's still possible the club succeeds against all odds, btw, I don't take Shivers as infallible, though it clearly has more insight and a larger scope than the other more inward voices - but the area has a real history of failed ventures with the unifying problems being mainly niche appeal and eventually their reach exceeding their grasp (or, maybe it's all that pale-adjacency and stuff disappearing out of the world screwing 'em over, could be!)

drat right

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Neuronyx posted:

I love both of these games, so I'm pretty happy, gotta say.

The awards in general were weirdly good, I agreed with or at least understood how a game could legit win pretty much every category I had any sort of opinion on. loving bizarre for a mainstream awards show.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Yeah I know about The drug lab in the church; but whenever any of them spoke about their vision for what the club could be in future Shivers would pipe up and go “nope, it’s gonna fail”. I was just wondering if there’s any way to prevent that , though I guess it makes sense that it’s unavoidable - basically everything is doomed to failure when the world is on the brink of entropic apocalypse.

FWIW I was being a big cheating bastard and had put 6 into every attribute and nearly maxed out Shivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

DoctorTristan posted:

Yeah I know about The drug lab in the church; but whenever any of them spoke about their vision for what the club could be in future Shivers would pipe up and go “nope, it’s gonna fail”. I was just wondering if there’s any way to prevent that , though I guess it makes sense that it’s unavoidable - basically everything is doomed to failure when the world is on the brink of entropic apocalypse.

FWIW I was being a big cheating bastard and had put 6 into every attribute and nearly maxed out Shivers.
I had a high Shivers (but not cheating-high), and I told them that they couldn't make it a drug lab, they have to just make it a dance club, I never got those Shivers passives. I also got in deep with all the ravers, made the music so hard core that they all were on board, and danced my goddamn heart out to the sounds of nothingness, and made Egghead a Communist. Also, I sabotaged Evrart's plans to condemn and rebuild by getting the drunks to sign his petition instead of the actual residents which might have influenced it. Maybe they will succeed?