Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Pakled posted:

I don't know what's worse, being the first one to decide "these campaign volunteers need a dance" or going "this other candidate's volunteers a dance, so we need one too"

the worse thing is reading a tweet and automatically assuming it's true because you want it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

The UK media is so, so much worse than what we have in the US

See, this was loving shocking to me, but holy poo poo it's true

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

ErIog posted:

The idea that a president who was voted out just decides to stay and not give up power has bubbled up as a fear every time a shift in power has happened in my lifetime. Right wingers said it about Clinton. Democrats said it about Bush. There were all sorts of dumb theories about Obama.

It's not going to happen because that's not how the presidency or executive branch works. If Trump refuses to leave the secret service will toss his rear end out for trespassing. Courts aren't going to recognize any of his authority past the inauguration of the new president. The man hasn't bothered to ever fully staff all the political appointments in his administration. He's definitely not capable of masterminding some kind of coup.

This seems to come up every hundred pages or so and is slapped down like this but I think the fear isn't that Trump will stay and everyone will shrug and that'll be it.

The nightmare scenario is what was laid out in "It Could Happen Here"

- The election happens
- Ultimately it doesn't matter who won because it works in either direction but let's say a Democrat wins
- In between election and inauguration, evidence comes out (either Russia releasing it or somehow discovered) that a foreign power (Russia) hacked/changed votes. It isn't clear how many votes and whether they actually changed the outcome or whether the evidence is actually real or not.
- Inauguration Day comes and there are massive, countrywide protests calling it illegitimate
- Civil War II

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 13, 2019

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

If this is true, the Democratic nomination should just end every tweet and rally with "Debate Me :smug: "

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

gently caress, this is still going on? Their kids would be in, what, eighth grade now?

I sincerely hope Alex Jones manages to burn and down to death at the same time... somehow

it's going on in the sense that he's getting sued up the wazoo on this

the only place Jones is attacking Sandy Hook families these days is in their court cases against him/going on a lengthy unhinged rant about one of the opposing counsels

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The Merkinman posted:

If this is true, the Democratic nomination should just end every tweet and rally with "Debate Me :smug: "

"I already debated, way back in 2016, and they were great (perfect)! I am working hard to fix our great country, and do not have time for Fake News and Lyin' Democrats to debate them on their terrible no good ideas that will Ruin Our Country! Keep America Great!!! #MAGA #KAG #TRUMP2020"

and so on and so on

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

haveblue posted:

Barron is going to change his name and end up managing a big box store somewhere

He can either go for anonymity or something that makes his intentions as clear as possible: Muhammad Cortez Trump

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

"I already debated, way back in 2016, and they were great (perfect)! I am working hard to fix our great country, and do not have time for Fake News and Lyin' Democrats to debate them on their terrible no good ideas that will Ruin Our Country! Keep America Great!!! #MAGA #KAG #TRUMP2020"

and so on and so on

...which will work on the most committed of redhats, of course, but the other 70% of the country will wonder why he's chickening out.

Gentle reminder that Trump does not have the approval of a majority. He doesn't even have the approval of the majority of the voting public. Debates are something that both right and left expect out of a Presidential campaign, and if they don't happen, people will want to know why.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 13, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bilperkins2 posted:

This seems to come up every hundred pages or so and is slapped down like this but I think the fear isn't that Trump will stay and everyone will shrug and that'll be it.

The nightmare scenario is what was laid out in "It Could Happen Here"

- The election happens
- Ultimately it doesn't matter who won because it works in either direction but let's say a Democrat wins
- In between election and inauguration, evidence comes out (either Russia releasing it or somehow discovered) that a foreign power (Russia) hacked/changed votes. It isn't clear how many votes and whether they actually changed the outcome or whether the evidence is actually real or not.
- Inauguration Day comes and there are massive, countrywide protests calling it illegitimate
- Civil War II

There won’t be massive protests. People have to work. They’ll sit at home in front of their TVs grumbling in between working their three jobs.

The strong police state and weak welfare state is set up to ensure people are too scared to truly participate in effective protest.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Why did no one doomsay when the Canadian election happened

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...which will work on the most committed of redhats, of course, but the other 70% of the country will wonder why he's chickening out.

Gentle reminder that Trump does not have the approval of a majority. He doesn't even have the approval of the majority of the voting public. Debates are something that both right and left expect out of a Presidential campaign, and if they don't happen, people will want to know why.

Oh, of course, but I don't think that will phase him. It's entirely plausible to me that he goes to one of his rallies, asks the crowd if they need him to bother, they'll shout no, and he'll go, "See? No need to!" and ignores the debates in favor of more rallies.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

Why did no one doomsay when the Canadian election happened

Because we elected a milquetoast liberal who is boring as poo poo rather than an orange/blonde fascist. Our fascist actually lost his own seat on top of everything else, which was nice.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh, of course, but I don't think that will phase him. It's entirely plausible to me that he goes to one of his rallies, asks the crowd if they need him to bother, they'll shout no, and he'll go, "See? No need to!" and ignores the debates in favor of more rallies.

Of course, the rally crowd wants to see Trump crush his opponents in real life and not in their heads, so unless they're going to be hauling effigies on stage, he's going to be coerced into a debate.

Edit: the best outcome would be Sanders, security detail and followers crashing a rally and completely sell that WWE aesthetic.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Of course, the rally crowd wants to see Trump crush his opponents in real life and not in their heads, so unless they're going to be hauling effigies on stage, he's going to be coerced into a debate.

Edit: the best outcome would be Sanders, security detail and followers crashing a rally and completely sell that WWE aesthetic.

:hmmyes:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
"Debate me you coward!" becomes a slogan of the left lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The big difference between Trump skipping (the GOP) debate in the 2015/2016 cycle vs a hypothetical debate skip in 2020 is that Trump's rallies are old hat now. He's just saying the same things over and over yet somehow becoming even less coherent about it.

In 2016 all he had to do was hold a rally or media event and every drat channel would preempt any scheduled speech or announcement by other GOP candidates and later Hillary to just live-stream Trump, but now even Fox News cuts away from him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bethvanduyne/status/1205147071856156672

When republicans want to make their own "squad" but have no people of color

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Booourns posted:

the worse thing is reading a tweet and automatically assuming it's true because you want it to be

I don't know where you've been but reality is so loving stupid that satire is dead and that stupid dance had an equal chance of being legit or a joke.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What are you talking about? One is clearly a brunette. Diversity!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

I could genuinely see this being a thing at his rallies and at the RNC later as time goes on. I mean we already got Clint Eastwood Presents: The Empty Chair it will just have a manakin in it this time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The last time they did something like this they called it The Kitchen Cabinet and had a website and everything. :laffo:

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Diversity of both hot takes and wardrobes! ...Kinda!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

At this point I'm honestly kinda surprised the gun-toting girl hasn't made it into Fox News. You'd think they'd be all-in for a really unsubtle 2nd Amendment-loving gun-nut to join their ranks.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wark Say posted:

At this point I'm honestly kinda surprised the gun-toting girl hasn't made it into Fox News. You'd think they'd be all-in for a really unsubtle 2nd Amendment-loving gun-nut to join their ranks.

I think there’s some issue with her that no one on the right really wants to work with her since she’s cycled through a few places now, so she’s mostly independent outside of that poor assistant she has.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Getting in to politics because i wanted a park built with more shade because i have a child sensitive to sunlight is the whitest loving sentence i have ever heard.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Didn't Dan Crenshaw of all people call Bennett out for being particularly ghoulish about something?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Why did they think this was a good idea? Did somebody close to one or all of them tell them it was? In my opinion, if that is the case, it was not kind of them to do.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

bobjr posted:

I think there’s some issue with her that no one on the right really wants to work with her since she’s cycled through a few places now, so she’s mostly independent outside of that poor assistant she has.

She got PNGed from TPusa after she had her local chapter wear diapers on the quad. And since that’s the main astroturfed right wing youth outreach she’s basically PNGed everywhere.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Wark Say posted:

I think that gun-toting girl has legitimate psychological issues and that Fox News et. al. recognize that. Most of the Fox folks are grifters and actors first, probably only deeply believing less than half the poo poo they’re bleating out to the deranged and dementia-ridden Fox watching public. The gun-toting girl seems to really believe in violence and hate, and I think that probably makes the Fox people nervous as she’d be one to actually stand up for white supremacy on TV rather than wink and nudge at it for grifting purposes.

Fox survives on being bigoted enough to make old and young white supremacists horny, but not directly enough as to make it impossible to defend in court. Gun girl would sieg heil right on stage and call for the deaths of the “lesser races”.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

Trump's favorite channel may be Fox News, but you drat well know he watches CNN and others--and their coverage of him will be scathing if he skips debates. Also, I'm not sure opinions will be unanimous among the chuds--they might WISH he didn't have to debate, but they're so convinced of their God-Emperor's superiority that they'll wonder why he's not proving it by crushing his enemies.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Booourns posted:

Believing fake poo poo is bad, but Mayor Pete's staffers' dance is definitely worse.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I think that gun-toting girl has legitimate psychological issues and that Fox News et. al. recognize that. Most of the Fox folks are grifters and actors first, probably only deeply believing less than half the poo poo they’re bleating out to the deranged and dementia-ridden Fox watching public. The gun-toting girl seems to really believe in violence and hate, and I think that probably makes the Fox people nervous as she’d be one to actually stand up for white supremacy on TV rather than wink and nudge at it for grifting purposes.

Fox survives on being bigoted enough to make old and young white supremacists horny, but not directly enough as to make it impossible to defend in court. Gun girl would sieg heil right on stage and call for the deaths of the “lesser races”.

...like Laura Ingram?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

sean10mm posted:

"Debate me you coward!" becomes a slogan of the left lol

That's too complex for our country. It would have to be something like "Debate at me, bro" with accompanying memes.

Edit: I don't know if this made it in here yesterday or not, but a Democratic rep said this to Betsy Devos yesterday regarding her stalling of debt relief for people screwed over by for-profit colleges:

"Are you deliberately violating this federal court order because you are too corrupt to uphold the law or because you are too incompetent to do your job?"

I love it.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 13, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Edmund Lava posted:

She got PNGed from TPusa after she had her local chapter wear diapers on the quad. And since that’s the main astroturfed right wing youth outreach she’s basically PNGed everywhere.

Did they do this in order to be more transparent

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Christians in the Gaza Strip will not be allowed to visit holy cities such as Bethlehem and Jerusalem to celebrate Christmas this year, Israeli authorities said on Thursday.

Gazan Christians will be granted permits to travel abroad but none will be allowed to go to Israel and the occupied West Bank, home to many sites holy to Christians, a spokeswoman for Israel's military liaison to the Palestinians said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israel-bars-gazas-christians-visiting-191649828.html

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

Edmund Lava posted:

Huh. For a second I had the feverish thought that the tactical yoga pants thing she tried was going to pan out. Glad it didn't!

Dammerung posted:

Why did they think this was a good idea? Did somebody close to one or all of them tell them it was? In my opinion, if that is the case, it was not kind of them to do.
They (probably like a friendly goon explained a couple of pages ago wrt Betsy DeVos) probably don't have a "smack-them-upside-the-head"/tenth-man/whatchamacallit on their employment and are sufficiently well-off enough to never had needed one. Because they're not used to being rejected. Basically like a non-sympathetic version of Parks and Rec's Ann Perkins.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Yes these WASPy avatars will certainly appeal to the youngins

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

I honestly find that hard to believe, what with Laura Ingraham and Tucker Carlson being still allowed (and paid ridiculously well, too) to spew their vicious, hateful, racist and xenophobic views nakedly for all to hear/see.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1205501728642228224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it's going on in the sense that he's getting sued up the wazoo on this

the only place Jones is attacking Sandy Hook families these days is in their court cases against him/going on a lengthy unhinged rant about one of the opposing counsels

Yeah, I meant the court case. I guess having a participant as toxic and vexatious as Jones makes it drag, even by the standards of a court.